Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, the only bad episode I can think of is Red Zone Cuba, the movie is so boring they can't even make decent jokes out of it. It sounds like it should be about some crazy communist conspiracy or whatnot, but its about arguing over Uranium rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
RZC is one of the more "advanced" MST episodes, along with Manos and Starfighters. You have to really be in the mood for a BAD MOVIE.

Incidentally, water. Thirsty. Sick man.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, this is kind of fun! Line me up fellas!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Red Zone Cuba is one of my favorites, actually. I love the diversity of opinions of MSTies.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Yeah, I can appreciate a so bad it's good movie like Hobgoblins or Time Chasers, but my favorites remain the absolute slogs that make them question their lives - Coleman Francis films, the worst bits of BIG's cinematography, stuff like that.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
That's Castro, you know. :reject:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Get...real...beard...

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
it thrills me to no end that all of coleman francis' three films feature someone firing a rifle out of a light airplane at a person running away on foot

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Coleman Francis had two great passions: horrible people and light aircraft

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
One of the best MST experiences I've ever had was watching RZC with a Cuban friend of a friend. He loved that episode.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Coleman Francis had two great passions: horrible people and light aircraft

Don't forget the coffee.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Paper Kaiju posted:

Also Comedy Central era vs Sci-fi Channel era. I used to have a friend who was also a big MSTie, and when we were discussing favorite episodes, I mentioned classics like Pumaman, Werewolf, and Space Mutiny. His response was "I don't watch that era because Bobo and Brain Guy are stupid." This was mid to late '00s. Nerd snobs never change.

Bobo and Brain Guy were stupid but who the gently caress was tuning in for Bobo and Brain Guy

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Don't forget the coffee.

Coffee? I like coffee. :downs:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Ted, you take Havana.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

TL posted:

Ted, you take Havana.

You shove off! :mad:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The stupidity of Bobo and Brain Guy was the appeal. Because Bobo is the wisest member of his culture and Brain Guy is the stupidest one in his.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Maybe its because I saw RZC after seeing mostly later episodes and stuff like weird godzilla and sci-fi movies. LIke I had trouble getting though I Accuse My Parents.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Mac and Me was somewhat recently remastered for its later 2018 blueray rerelease. This might make it suitable for season 12 or 13.
God help us all.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I loved Bobo and Brain Guy

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Davros1 posted:

I loved Bobo and Brain Guy

And this is loving brilliant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bV4-w2H5qE

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
For my money, Pearl, Bobo, and Brain Guy didn't come into their own until they got to Castle Forrester. For one, it meant they'd dropped the network-mandated storylines. That in turn mean they had more flexibility, closer to Dr. F and Frank, where one minute they're inventing the Recomfy Bike, and another they're sitting on the couch, eating ice cream, and watching "Vicki."

(I have a soft spot for moments when the bots or Mads start acting like Midwestern housewives.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Keromaru5 posted:

For my money, Pearl, Bobo, and Brain Guy didn't come into their own until they got to Castle Forrester. For one, it meant they'd dropped the network-mandated storylines. That in turn mean they had more flexibility, closer to Dr. F and Frank, where one minute they're inventing the Recomfy Bike, and another they're sitting on the couch, eating ice cream, and watching "Vicki."

(I have a soft spot for moments when the bots or Mads start acting like Midwestern housewives.)

Yeah, this is me. Early Season 10 stuff didn't land that great for me, even though my sperm donor and I would watch it with a frozen pizza after getting home from a race night. Then again, I was, like, 13.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Keromaru5 posted:

My favourite Brain Guy moment is still when he says his friends have been invited over 'to watch Sliders in my room.' I don't know why it tickles me so much but I think about it sometimes and chuckle.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Also without Brain Guy, we wouldn't have had "This is what Brain Guy looked like in high school" when this fellow shows up

It makes me giggle

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Star Crash gets better every time I see it. It is one of the real gems of the new season.

"I feel like I'm watching a community theater production of Guardians of the Galaxy"

Also, the accent on the Robot is just so...special.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I didn't care for them, but I didn't watch for the host segments, at least not past season 6 or so.

Really, I only have two gripes about the cast over the years: J Elvis' Servo was bad and while the new Servo isn't I can't get used to anyone but Kevin doing the voice.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Josh’s Servo never did a lot for me, but he was one of my favorite parts of Cinematic Titanic. He’s such a funny, talented guy, and it’s a shame MST3K didn’t work out for him as well as it could have.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Crazy Ferret posted:

Star Crash gets better every time I see it. It is one of the real gems of the new season.

"I feel like I'm watching a community theater production of Guardians of the Galaxy"

Also, the accent on the Robot is just so...special.

I mentioned way back but Starcrash and People Time Forgot were movies I rented from the library a lot when I was like 10. Southern Sheriff Robot was my favorite.

"Can I hassle your hoff" is a panty dropper.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Joel is the pizza
Mike the lasagna
Johna is a Burrito

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

TL posted:

Josh’s Servo never did a lot for me, but he was one of my favorite parts of Cinematic Titanic. He’s such a funny, talented guy, and it’s a shame MST3K didn’t work out for him as well as it could have.

Season 1 -> Season 2 was the most dramatic jump in quality over the show's entire run, and I think that was like 80% due to going fully scripted/increasing the number of riffs and 20% the switch from Josh to Kevin. We just didn't get to see Josh in a more polished show until Cinematic Titanic.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I saw some people's reaction to season 11 as so negative that they didn't finish the first episode. They had to take a walk in the park and cry.

They said they could have had a whole segment with Jonah moving in and showing the bots getting used to him, and showing the day to day operations of the Satellite of Love, but they focused on the movie instead.

It was a bizarre take.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The people that have been weird about it has been fascinating. Its like digging up the dinosaur bones of usenet when mike took over, taking the DNA out and growing a new one in a lab.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mirage posted:

RZC is one of the more "advanced" MST episodes, along with Manos and Starfighters. You have to really be in the mood for a BAD MOVIE.

Incidentally, water. Thirsty. Sick man.

Yeah I love Red Zone Cuba and Starfighters. I'm giggling just thinking about how stupid those movies are.

edit: And I was most definitely tuning in to see Bobo and Brain Guy, Murphy and Corbett nailed those roles every minute they were onscreen

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

Season 1 -> Season 2 was the most dramatic jump in quality over the show's entire run, and I think that was like 80% due to going fully scripted/increasing the number of riffs and 20% the switch from Josh to Kevin. We just didn't get to see Josh in a more polished show until Cinematic Titanic.

Yeah, Season 1 is kind of rough to sit through and the KTMA Season is even worse, there are sometimes long stretches of silence during the movie because the riffs were mostly ad-libbed and often times it was the first time the crew actually watched the film beforehand (a philosophy that ended around the time they did Sidehackers). But yeah, Season 2 is where the show really started to get good in my opinion (and the introduction of Kevin and Frank did play a significant role in that).

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

CommaToes posted:

They said they could have had a whole segment with Jonah moving in and showing the bots getting used to him, and showing the day to day operations of the Satellite of Love, but they focused on the movie instead.

I will say that it could have been handled a little better when it's mentioned offhand Jonah's all settled in already. Mike at least had that "you've reached the end of your training" bit. That's an incredibly minor and petty reason to blanket hate on the show, though.

The bigger problem was that the riffing on Reptilicus was so breathlessly rapid-fire that it stepped on the laughs. Even having one incredible host segment didn't make the new show look all that great. That came later in the season.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Mirage posted:

The bigger problem was that the riffing on Reptilicus was so breathlessly rapid-fire that it stepped on the laughs. Even having one incredible host segment didn't make the new show look all that great. That came later in the season.

I'm also of the opinion that Reptilicus is a bit front loaded. The first half of the movie is great and the riffs are on point. The door ajar bit or "Now you're Mr. Cabinet" were show stoppers when I screened it with friends. That said, the second half of the movie is really boring. Mostly just people shooting at something off screen, bad disaster movie stuff, or the usual Godzilla esque white noise. The riffs help but the second half of the movie feels really long.

I could see why people, especially people looking for something to hate, might balk at it and think that's the quality of the show going forward. I think this is silly cause the next episode is Cry Wilderness which is one of the MST3K episodes ever, regardless of season.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CommaToes posted:

I saw some people's reaction to season 11 as so negative that they didn't finish the first episode. They had to take a walk in the park and cry.

It was a bizarre take.

I can get not liking it, but I don’t understand the crying part. If you’re that invested in the show, why not notice how hard your probable favorite host from childhood Joel tried to make a perfect new season and pandered endlessly to you to get you to watch it?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mirage posted:

I will say that it could have been handled a little better when it's mentioned offhand Jonah's all settled in already. Mike at least had that "you've reached the end of your training" bit.

I'll admit that I was curious how they were going to explain the bots being there, seeing how they were last seen in a Milwaukee apartment with Mike, but I'm perfectly happy with the "they're just THERE" non-explanation. They may come back to it in Season 12 or later, but they certainly don't have to.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

I'll admit that I was curious how they were going to explain the bots being there, seeing how they were last seen in a Milwaukee apartment with Mike, but I'm perfectly happy with the "they're just THERE" non-explanation. They may come back to it in Season 12 or later, but they certainly don't have to.

I know other people have said this before, but I’d love it if Mike called the sol over the viewscreen and the Corbett Crow and Murphy Servo were there in his apartment with no explanation or comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

business hammocks posted:

I know other people have said this before, but I’d love it if Mike called the sol over the viewscreen and the Corbett Crow and Murphy Servo were there in his apartment with no explanation or comment.

I mean we have enough Toms running around, I don't see why not