Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Oxxidation posted:

Jess' grandfather takes him in and the final chapter consists of Addie narrating how the church is slowly purging itself of Chambliss' influence and how she hopes it'll lead Jess and the other kids towards a better future. Which is, like, jfc cue the violins already

I will have to re-read it because I remember taking that part as deliberately insincere by the writer. The people willingly went along with all of it, and I think it was meant to suggest that the preacher wasn't the problem, but the willingness of people to submit to it. Its sort of having the protagonist narrate the wrong lesson from it all to deliberately horrify the reader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Strongly doubt it. Addie's introduced by the novel as its moral compass, being the only one to abandon Chambliss even before the incident with Stump, so the sincerity of her take on events probably isn't meant to be called into question. The only place where she's not 100% on the ball is her interpretation of why the Halls' marriage started to crumble, and that was more due to her views being that of a pre-Depression era midwife than any lack of moral clarity. The sheriff's narration ends on a similarly hopeful note despite having closer proximity to the gruesome events at the end.

Like I said at the start, the book struck me as a solid page-turner but not much else. There's nothing particularly clever in how it goes about its plot.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 11, 2018

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Just finished Lydia Davis' translation of Swann's Way and I'm super sad that she didn't translate the rest of the series. For anybody else who liked her approach: which translation of volume 2-7 gets closest to her style?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

friendly 2 da void posted:

Just finished Lydia Davis' translation of Swann's Way and I'm super sad that she didn't translate the rest of the series. For anybody else who liked her approach: which translation of volume 2-7 gets closest to her style?

I have Moncrieff and was thinking of picking up Davis’s translation as well. Any observations on how they compare?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
the brothers karamazov loving sucks. i hate the guy who did the foreward for the godfather for telling me that was the likely inspiration.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Annual Prophet posted:

I have Moncrieff and was thinking of picking up Davis’s translation as well. Any observations on how they compare?

Scott Moncrieff isn't a bad writer by any means but his Proust is famously unfaithful, although there are revised editions that correct the more glaring embellishments. Davis's is kind of faithful to a fault, and some people have said her adherence to Proust's prose makes for clumsy English, but I think it's the closer experience to the original if you don't read French.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Normal Adult Human posted:

the brothers karamazov loving sucks. i hate the guy who did the foreward for the godfather for telling me that was the likely inspiration.

sorry about your opinions

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I havent read the brothers karamazov because I don't really karamazov about the book, brother

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
in this day and age dostoevsky and his tediously pious contemporaries are better read as comedies than anything else

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Notes from Underground bears remarkable similarities to the Trump Presidency, hence my lolling.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
notes is his only worthwhile book imo

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I can't help but laugh at the naive piety of Dostoevsky, the man so incredibly, tediously pious that every time he tries to write an atheist he has to convince himself that their ideas are wrong and never really seems to manage it

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

CestMoi posted:

I can't help but laugh at the naive piety of Dostoevsky, the man so incredibly, tediously pious that every time he tries to write an atheist he has to convince himself that their ideas are wrong and never really seems to manage it
Be fair; Oxxidation didn't call Dostoyevsky tediously pious, just his contemporaries. Like Gogol and Chekhov.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
and tolstoy

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Well, if you want to say Tolstoy, you're entirely welcome to actually say Tolstoy instead of putting your foot in your mouth.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Well, if you want to say Tolstoy, you're entirely welcome to actually say Tolstoy instead of putting your foot in your mouth.

i mean them both

crime and punishment on top of being a stultifying sleep aid of a novel expresses a morality and sentiment so incompatible with modern society as to be laughable

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Then again, I would argue that Tolstoy's piety is one of the most singular and least tedious types anyway.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
then again the only religious dissertation in a work of fiction that i've ever found even a little bit compelling was the padre's story in The Crossing and even that doesn't ascribe any sort of morality to god in itself

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Annual Prophet posted:

I can't say enough positive things about Davis' translation, while Moncrieff leaves me....cold. IMHO, he altered the character of the narrator so much as to create a different work.

It's kinda infuriating that Davis didn't translate the other volumes though. Her Swann's Way is increasingly considered the best, but the other new translations are trashola.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Moncrieff is good

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

extremely hot takes itt this fine monday

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
im pretty sure it's tuesday

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

friendly 2 da void posted:

I can't say enough positive things about Davis' translation, while Moncrieff leaves me....cold. IMHO, he altered the character of the narrator so much as to create a different work.

It's kinda infuriating that Davis didn't translate the other volumes though. Her Swann's Way is increasingly considered the best, but the other new translations are trashola.

I got the second volume in the penguin classics series a while back, but I forget who translated it. It seems alright from what I read of it. Davis' is easily the top of the pile though.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

fridge corn posted:

im pretty sure it's tuesday

christ, my internal calendar gets all screwed up during may. we have way too many public holidays this month

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

It is meltdown May.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Dead Souls is the best book ever what is happening itt

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

WatermelonGun posted:

Dead Souls is the best book ever what is happening itt

Masturbating egos by making GBS threads on classics. You know, the usual.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
mods plz change username to tediously pious tia

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I'm more pious than any of you. I just really love God you fuckers

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Oxxidation posted:

i mean them both

crime and punishment on top of being a stultifying sleep aid of a novel expresses a morality and sentiment so incompatible with modern society as to be laughable

imagine thinking the problem was with that morality and not with modern society lmao

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Oxxidation is like a really badly written movie villain who says "Sentiment..." in a tone of disgust before slaughtering a family of homesteaders who wouldn't sell their land to his railroad

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Oxxidation is like a really badly written movie villain who says "Sentiment..." in a tone of disgust before slaughtering a family of homesteaders who wouldn't sell their land to his railroad

Hey, if God didn't want them sheared, he wouldn't have made them sheep.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the idea that belief in a higher power, whether god or state, can offer recognition and recovery from moral turpitude is the kind of idea that i can't look at anymore without hearing a rimshot at the end, it's true, it's true

also it's been a while but i remember reading that a character in the brothers karamozov commits suicide at the realization of his own spiritual depravity in the vein of svidrigaïlov and between that and javert i wonder if it was some sort of trend in nineteenth-century literature for antagonistic figures to just self-destruct when faced with knowledge of wickedness as opposed to, as everyone knows, the complete opposite

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

the idea that belief in a higher power, whether god or state, can offer recognition and recovery from moral turpitude is the kind of idea that i can't look at anymore without hearing a rimshot at the end, it's true, it's true

also it's been a while but i remember reading that a character in the brothers karamozov commits suicide at the realization of his own spiritual depravity in the vein of svidrigaïlov and between that and javert i wonder if it was some sort of trend in nineteenth-century literature for antagonistic figures to just self-destruct when faced with knowledge of wickedness as opposed to, as everyone knows, the complete opposite

I guess you didn't read Les Miserables either.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Oxxidation posted:

also it's been a while but i remember reading that a character in the brothers karamozov commits suicide at the realization of his own spiritual depravity in the vein of svidrigaïlov
If that's what you took away from Smerdyakov's death, you might not have actually read the book.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

If that's what you took away from Smerdyakov, you might not have actually read the book.

i didn't, notes was decent and then crime and punishment turned me off the man

the only russian author even born in the 1800's that hooked me was krzhizhanovsky and he barely counts for the purposes of this conversation because a) he started publishing almost half a century after dostoyevsky and b) he was basically one step removed from a speculative fiction author anyway

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 16, 2018

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
You might like The Idiot, actually.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

You might like The Idiot, actually.

i might

got any translations you'd recommend

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What specifically about C&P turned you off? I thoroughly enjoyed it but like someone earlier said I read with more of a comedic eye than Dostoyevsky probably intended

(Note: I read the Oliver Ready translation)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Also, this completely misses the point:

Oxxidation posted:

The idea is not that "belief" in God can save man. It's that man is so hopeless that nothing short of actual divine intervention can. Dostoyevsky was well aware of the inescapability of human nature and was desperate for some way to surmount it, which could only be supernatural.