Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

feedmegin posted:

Umm. The Falklands was not and is not uninhabited.

Well it's uninhabited by Argentinians.

My point was that stupid territorial bullshit like this is just an excuse for lovely governments to point a finger at foreign badguys to try and get people to ignore their own transgressions.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myriarch
May 14, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

Like the Falklands.

Turns out, stupid poo poo like that, with an easily identifiable 'enemy', is a great way to get people to ignore problems at home.

Maybe it's just me, maybe, but if the Brits had lost the Falklands back in 82, I highly doubt they would be constantly railing about the loss today and refusing to acknowledge international maps showing the change of ownership. Maybe the first two or three years, but by 35 years later it wouldn't be an issue, and much less 60 years later.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Myriarch posted:

Maybe it's just me, maybe, but if the Brits had lost the Falklands back in 82, I highly doubt they would be constantly railing about the loss today and refusing to acknowledge international maps showing the change of ownership. Maybe the first two or three years, but by 35 years later it wouldn't be an issue, and much less 60 years later.

The thing is though the Chinese "butthurt" over the nine dash line and other territorial disputes isn't just some dead thing in the past. It active and ongoing aggression by China, where China is grabbing land and sea from it's neighbors by bullying it's smaller neighbors into submission.

And although on a personal level for the average Chinese person, it certainly is petty butthurt bullshit, in the wider geopolitical sense it isn't just pettiness that motivates the Chinese state; By bullying foreign nations and transnational corporations and threatening them with very real economic damage if they do not play along and accept China's demands, China makes sure that the disputed territory is rarely if ever depicted as anything but Chinese - Making the public beyond China slowly get used to and accept the territory as Chinese.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Has no one ever "fabricated claims" in EU4? It's an important and basic part of expansion.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Has this been posted here yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrqKvu-rqIc

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Myriarch posted:

but you better believe they won’t stop calling it burma lol

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

LentThem posted:

This should be required viewing for every idiot kid in my apartment building

https://my.mixtape.moe/tdasmr.mp4

No-one died, no-one fell down a big hole, no dismemberments. Mild stupidity with a tense narrative but ultimately a let down of an ending: 2 stars

- The Chinese Lift Incident Reviewer

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
I have noticed recently that some crafty tour company is bringing Chinese tour groups to tour my local supermarket.

It's pretty entertaining to watch them all rifling through the feminine hygiene products while the bus driver aggressively smokes outside in the carpark.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's a large drug store downtown that has tour buses of mainlanders dropped off for a while to shop before getting picked up again. It looks like a loving war zone afterwards, so much product all over the floor. I've seen fights break out there too, it can get crazy.

I don't even know what they're so excited about, it's just a normal drug store, no special deals, no special high-end brands.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Formula, generic OTC drugs, and vitamin supplements that you can trust to actually contain the stuff on the label and not be chock full of sawdust/heavy metals/etc. Those seem to be pretty common gifts I see taken home to China and Korea by guests visiting the US.

It's actually kinda reasonable for them to be a little excited about that.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Geisladisk posted:

The thing is though the Chinese "butthurt" over the nine dash line and other territorial disputes isn't just some dead thing in the past. It active and ongoing aggression by China, where China is grabbing land and sea from it's neighbors by bullying it's smaller neighbors into submission.

And although on a personal level for the average Chinese person, it certainly is petty butthurt bullshit, in the wider geopolitical sense it isn't just pettiness that motivates the Chinese state; By bullying foreign nations and transnational corporations and threatening them with very real economic damage if they do not play along and accept China's demands, China makes sure that the disputed territory is rarely if ever depicted as anything but Chinese - Making the public beyond China slowly get used to and accept the territory as Chinese.

The funny thing is, with regards to the Western Companies being bullied. China could make the same territorial/Taiwan demands, plus all references to the United States on their Chinese language web sites have to be changed to "United States of poopy pants babies" and they would still fall in line for fear of losing a toehold in the Chinese market.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah, which is why it is such a good strategy. Multinational companies don't give a poo poo about the territorial integrity of minor nations or basic decency, they care about the :10bux: .

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

In Tokyo it's common to see Chinese tourists empty shelves of products in the major shopping area large drug stores. I always wondered why.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

tote up a bags posted:

In Tokyo it's common to see Chinese tourists empty shelves of products in the major shopping area large drug stores. I always wondered why.

To help grandma live forever on a diet of fish oil and fruit laxatives

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah they're just rightfully scared that those products in China are fake. They don't trust importers to be genuine either.

Going to Japan to buy like twelve rice cookers apiece is more of a mystery but I assume there's reselling or the entire extended family has demanded them or something going on there. That's another thing, mainlanders will demand tribute if you go abroad so some people are buying those 80 cans of baby formula not for themselves, but for everyone they know.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah they're just rightfully scared that those products in China are fake. They don't trust importers to be genuine either.

Going to Japan to buy like twelve rice cookers apiece is more of a mystery but I assume there's reselling or the entire extended family has demanded them or something going on there. That's another thing, mainlanders will demand tribute if you go abroad so some people are buying those 80 cans of baby formula not for themselves, but for everyone they know.

No mystery about it. They're reenacting the voyages of Admiral Zheng He and his treasure fleets.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

The only presents my inlaws were able to keep were the ones that I physically made for them while they were here. I made my mother in-law a cherry and walnut cutting board, and my father in-law a ceramic coffee mug. As soon as they arrived home their family/extended family basically ransacked their luggage for stuff they requested, and stuff they would outright ask to have, and know they will get because of face. At least the stuff I made for them they could say, "no Blistex made this specifically for us, it is very special" and they would back off. Bought products don't have that ability.

McGavin posted:

No mystery about it. They're reenacting the voyages of Admiral Zheng He and his treasure fleets.

:captainpop:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Where's that picture of the giraffe on the ship when you need it?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Boiled giraffe neck makes your dick bigger.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Nowhy's Ark

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I remember watching some documentary on the treasure fleet and a bunch of ship builders and historians were saying the official chinese party line on the size of the ships was physically impossible. Like they were most likely real, and most likely very big for the day, but they weren't 300 or even 500 feet like some like to claim.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Five Thousand Feet of Treasure Fleet

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

:holymoley:

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Holy poo poo

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Baronjutter posted:

I remember watching some documentary on the treasure fleet and a bunch of ship builders and historians were saying the official chinese party line on the size of the ships was physically impossible. Like they were most likely real, and most likely very big for the day, but they weren't 300 or even 500 feet like some like to claim.

Even in fairly calm waters, wooden ships over 300ft are pretty much asking to fall apart or leak like sieves due to their timbers flexing and letting water through their hulls. Every wooden ship that was 300ft or longer that wikipedia knows of was built in the latter half of the 1800's on, and most of them made extensive use of metal fasteners and other devices/structures not possible during Zheng He's time.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Blistex posted:

Even in fairly calm waters, wooden ships over 300ft are pretty much asking to fall apart or leak like sieves due to their timbers flexing and letting water through their hulls. Every wooden ship that was 300ft or longer that wikipedia knows of was built in the latter half of the 1800's on, and most of them made extensive use of metal fasteners and other devices/structures not possible during Zheng He's time.

No! They were bigger than any western ship! Ancient china was building wooden cruise ships.

Most biggest best ships ever

You heard of Columbus ship? Very famous. Well chinese ship 100x the size, 100x more famous.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Blistex posted:

Are you suggesting that Chinese history exaggerates figures!?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Blistex posted:

The only presents my inlaws were able to keep were the ones that I physically made for them while they were here. I made my mother in-law a cherry and walnut cutting board, and my father in-law a ceramic coffee mug. As soon as they arrived home their family/extended family basically ransacked their luggage for stuff they requested, and stuff they would outright ask to have, and know they will get because of face. At least the stuff I made for them they could say, "no Blistex made this specifically for us, it is very special" and they would back off. Bought products don't have that ability.

:captainpop:

This seems like an exceptionally easy problem to get around.
"Everything got confiscated by customs/stolen by thieves, here's a packet of American gum, which they didn't confiscate/steal."

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Bigger than the Biblical description of Noah’s Ark, then.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
HHAhaha, Dating breakup fees in China.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-44078961

quote:

Earlier this month, police in the eastern Chinese city of Hangzhou responded to a call after bar staff reported finding a suspicious suitcase.

It contained two million yuan in cash ($314,204; £233,323) - an extraordinary amount of money, maybe even life-changing.

They managed to track down the owner, who according to the local police, had arranged to meet with his ex-girlfriend in the bar.

The money? It was a "break-up fee" a new trend in Chinese dating.
The price of true love?

Everyone knows that dating can be expensive; forking out a bit of cash to buy drinks or meals in the early stages of a relationship, or buying gifts and holidays later on.

No longer content to just have the awkward meeting to hand each others' stuff back, break-up fees have emerged in recent years in China as a sort of compensation at the end of a long-term relationship.

While not legally binding, it's a bit like one party giving their former partner a divorce settlement.

It's the person that ends the relationship that pays the fee. They decide, based on the amount of time, effort and money they have invested in the relationship, how much money they should give to their former partner.

Some people look pragmatically at the amount of money their partner had spent on them while they were dating, whereas others set a levy based on how severe they think the emotional damage of the break-up will be.

Break-up fees are more commonly paid by men - out of guilt or in order to offset their partner's upset. However, increasingly some women see it as acceptable to pay a fee, given that it is traditionally the man who will pay for meals and gifts in a Chinese relationship.....

Crazy lady gives ex-partner itemized bill.

quote:

Some have been met with droll humour, such as a case in April where a woman sent her former partner an inventory of every single restaurant and hotel they had visited. She had painstakingly researched how much her partner had spent on her, and wanted to reimburse him what she thought she owed.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Outrail posted:

This seems like an exceptionally easy problem to get around.
"Everything got confiscated by customs/stolen by thieves, here's a packet of American gum, which they didn't confiscate/steal."

When some of them waiting for you at the airport, and the rest of them at your home, eagerly awaiting gifts, it's hard to play that card.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LOL

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

No! They were bigger than any western ship! Ancient china was building wooden cruise ships.

Most biggest best ships ever

You heard of Columbus ship? Very famous. Well chinese ship 100x the size, 100x more famous.

what in the world could china be overcompensating for I wonder

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
https://twitter.com/shawnwzhang/status/996593516749901825

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Even literally insane people have some manner of compass that points them in a somewhat general direction. The Trump administration on the other hand seems to be blowing not only with the wind, but against it in an almost random pattern.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Blistex posted:

Even literally insane people have some manner of compass that points them in a somewhat general direction. The Trump administration on the other hand seems to be blowing not only with the wind, but against it in an almost random pattern.

My pet theory is that Trump is desperate enough and delusion enough for the Nobel Peace Prize that he’ll give China and North Korea everything they want.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Platystemon posted:

My pet theory is that Trump is desperate enough and delusion enough for the Nobel Peace Prize that he’ll give China and North Korea everything they want.

I love how the US and ROK administrations are so short-sighted that they play into North Korea's (at this point) predictable patterns of escalation then bribery. Then again South Korean Chaebols might be exerting enough influence in the new administration that Lee Nak-Yeon has to play nice in hopes of re-opening the industrial parks and entering into another "era of peace*", which helps their stock prices as trouble on the peninsula always give them a little bit of a hit.

*~5-7 years

Edit: LOL! http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/north-korea-suspend-talks-1.4664162

Now that Trump is bragging about bringing North Korea to the bargaining table, they're threatening to bail. They know that Trump's willing to cut a bad deal to save face and they can ask for more free stuff.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
nah, that list is definitely horseshit. remember that the last time donny t and daddy xi got together, daddy xi basically folded and told donny t to do pretty much whatever he wanted - because as it turns out, while a trade war would hurt the US and be very politically expensive for donny t, a trade war would gut the already teetering chinese economy and probably be the end of it all for daddy xi. this isn't a mystery to outside observers, let alone either leader.

• Locked thread