Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Look at these city folk telling me, a country bumpkin, how bad the outdoors are. I bet you couldn't even tie a clove hitch or poop in a hole you dug in the ground.

Is a clove hitch the one that's like an X shape wrapped under itself? I used to use that one hoisting conduit bundles and tool bags. That or hitches.

I tried my hand at a bowline recently and hosed it up so I told my boss (who uses to be in the Navy), "I'm just gonna let the sailor handle the knots"

Although one time an apprentice supremely hosed up a rigging knot, and I couldn't tell cuz I was operating the hoist from 6 floors up. Someone else noticed when I had pulled it up about 15 feet and screamed at me on the radio to lower it back. As I was doing so, the 800 pound reel of wire slipped off the rigging the apprentice had done and smashed into the floor. He got a huge earful and I can't imagine the disaster it would've been if it had slipped off higher in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Every time I read something about skylanders I think of that budgeting dril tweet.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is all you need to know about sky landers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqPVqTKzU3U

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Skylanders the game is a v simple Diablo style arpg

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

precision posted:

i still don't really understand what Skylanders is

i mean what kind of game it is or whatever

i've never seen anyone buy them, ever

2 player gauntlet-lite with some basic rpg elements and hats

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U-bZUSjDpg&t=109s

The hats have stats I think but mostly it's for customization so you can like make your giant basketball robot wear a silly hat or make your mariachi day of the dead trumpet skeleton wear a silly hat

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Skypie posted:

Is a clove hitch the one that's like an X shape wrapped under itself? I used to use that one hoisting conduit bundles and tool bags. That or hitches.

Yup.

quote:

I tried my hand at a bowline recently and hosed it up so I told my boss (who uses to be in the Navy), "I'm just gonna let the sailor handle the knots"

The rabbit comes out of the hole, goes around the tree, and back into the hole. That's how I learned it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i go outside all the time and it sucks for 90% of the year. as the climate disaster unfolds, that number will continue to rise

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

precision posted:

i still don't really understand what Skylanders is

i mean what kind of game it is or whatever

i've never seen anyone buy them, ever

Think a sort of Knack or Crash Bandicoot deal with a character select screen that sits in front of your TV.

There’s other ones like racers too, but that’s the core idea. Pretty neat concept, given that the different figures all have in game models, voices, animations, and handle pretty differently.

The one I grabbed on sale (hard to say no for six bucks with the base and a few figures) even has these top half/bottom half figures and the game recognizes all the combinations. I don’t think I’ve spent more than a buck a piece per figure though. Thank god for discount bins. :patriot:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Talking of Knack (once again is the incredible, rhyme animal, the unbeatable), Knack 2 is down to $20 already

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Yup.

The rabbit comes out of the hole, goes around the tree, and back into the hole. That's how I learned it.

Yeah eventually I get it when I try. One time I wasn't paying attention and wound up trying two bowlines on either end of some string and basically hosed up a wire pull cuz one bowline undid itself and came off the wire halfway through the pipe :downs:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

precision posted:

Talking of Knack (once again is the incredible, rhyme animal, the unbeatable), Knack 2 is down to $20 already

I think I'm gonna buy it again. I bought it used for $12 but my PS4 wouldn't read the disc

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Tacoma was real good. Not as good as go Home but still real real good. Also like the 4th Platinum I've gotten in the last 2 weeks without even putting all that much effort in.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I really liked the ending.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fullbright are good at, uh, the reverse twist ending? Spending the whole game thinking it's going to end tragically but it all works out fine is cool.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

all i know about skylanders is from when they demoed the bowser and dk skylanders on the nintendo treehouse at the e3 they were introduced. bowser acted like a summoner and swung a hammer into the ground to pop out koopas that could be upgraded to dry bones, and then he'd swing his hammer to knock them around into enemies. i think he could set them on fire also. i thought that was a cool take on his character.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah Tacoma had a really satisfying story for me. I'm honestly tempted to buy it again for PS4 since the laptop couldn't run it on max settings anyway.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Launch or activation sequences are very important.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

chumbler posted:

:hai:

https://vgy.me/yuQzPm.webm

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

chumbler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FACHloPoBck

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

chumbler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kVPStKzLes

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fucks wrong with you guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnscgQK7mUY

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

sharrrk posted:

all i know about skylanders is from when they demoed the bowser and dk skylanders on the nintendo treehouse at the e3 they were introduced. bowser acted like a summoner and swung a hammer into the ground to pop out koopas that could be upgraded to dry bones, and then he'd swing his hammer to knock them around into enemies. i think he could set them on fire also. i thought that was a cool take on his character.

Yeah, and DK gets to switch between attacking with his barrel as a weapon like how wrestlers use weapons or attacking with the barrel broken up into two pieces as knuckledusters for him to go boxing with. It is cool and I wished they could have made more crossover things like that.

e: looked up game footage, oddly enough it seems like he doesn't actually punch with his barrel boxing gloves, he just kinda stomps on the ground and depending on how far in the upgrade tree you are, he either just causes some damage around him or he causes girders and such to fall from the sky.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 16, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I heard I have to play state of decay 2 to become a true gamer or some poo poo what's going on

Is this marketing or a meme that took off today?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My groups of friends have been having babies over the past few years, this is great for me because kids are cool to hang out with, and I don’t have to deal with all that scary or annoying stuff bringing up a kid entails.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

congrats on becoming the weird uncle

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What do I have to do to not be the weird uncle

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

no it's cool being the weird uncle that was sincere

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Games

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

chumbler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_MoPL_73w4

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

As long as you're the good kind of weird uncle and not the bad kind. Think Cold Steel.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

you post on an internet forum; you lost the race before the starting gun even went off

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Around what age should a kid be before being introduced to Dark Souls

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Around what age should a kid be before being introduced to Dark Souls

2 or 3 so it may still pose some challenge before they're done developing their fundamental motor skills.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

chumbler posted:

As long as you're the good kind of weird uncle and not the bad kind. Think Cold Steel.

i didn't play it but since it's anime i assume the good kind is like an affable fat old inventor or something and the bad kind is either evil or pervin

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ciaphas posted:

i didn't play it but since it's anime i assume the good kind is like an affable fat old inventor or something and the bad kind is either evil or pervin

good uncle:

bad uncle:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

No I'm talking about Cold Steel, the youtube channel of uncles chopping up watermelons and hams with viking axes and katanas, not the less anime Cold Steel.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
one cold steel uncle loves his secret military division of sons and daughters and buys them presents while fighting for the rights of common people in a society dominated by nobles. but he also uses his overwhelming political influence and deceitful tactics in order to grab up towns and absorb them into an ever-expanding empire rife with political drama. an uncle of many shades

the jrpg cold steel uncle, i mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://vgy.me/ykH2xo.webm

• Locked thread