Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Heath posted:

What specifically about C&P turned you off? I thoroughly enjoyed it but like someone earlier said I read with more of a comedic eye than Dostoyevsky probably intended

(Note: I read the Oliver Ready translation)

mine was constance garnett because i didn't have much money to spend on books at the time and that was the cheapest edition

in retrospect that may have been for a reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Garnett isn't terrible like a lot of public-domain translations but is only actively good in revised editions.

My translation of The Idiot is by Alan Myers, but the David Magarshack and Ignat Avsey translations are safe bets. Do not bother with Pevear & Volokhonsky.

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure that you would have missed my post at the bottom of the last page, thanks to its timing, so if it isn't too much trouble, I hope you go back and read it.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 16, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Garnett isn't terrible like a lot of public-domain translations but is only actively good in revised editions.

My translation of The Idiot is by Alan Myers, but the David Magarshack and Ignat Avsey translations are safe bets. Do not bother with Pevear & Volokhonsky.

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure that you would have missed my post at the bottom of the last page, thanks to its timing, so if it isn't too much trouble, I hope you go back and read it.

in the case of that interpretation i would retort that his self-imposed imperative to "surmount" the basic evil of human nature would be what made his resolutions come off as so facile to me but now we're getting at the point where i'm trying to spin deep argumentative analysis out of a book i last read in 2012

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I'm looking at the Brailovsky revision of Garnett's The Idiot on Amazon, and it's very good. I think I'd recommend it over the Myers.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hey since we're on the subject of Dostoevsky translations, what are some good options for the Brothers K. My library seems to have a ton of them.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
It took me a long time to push past the first quarter of Brothers K, but once I did I got pretty engrossed. The brothers have great chemistry, and I think the Grand Inquisitor story is pretty apt.

I also read the Pevears/Volokhonsky version because it had a neat cover and I didn't know they were bad at translating at the time.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Why are P&V in such high demand? Basically every piece of Russian lit has their names on it.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Guy A. Person posted:

Hey since we're on the subject of Dostoevsky translations, what are some good options for the Brothers K. My library seems to have a ton of them.
Magarshack's is the best. Avsey's is almost as good. MacAndrew's is a bit too liberal but is very smooth and a decent introduction; it's the version that I first read. A lot of people like McDuff's, and it's admirably scrupulous, but I find it too stuffy. There's probably a good Garnett revision out there.

Heath posted:

Why are P&V in such high demand? Basically every piece of Russian lit has their names on it.
They have an excellent marketing machine, and people who don't know Russian are impressed by how goddamn clunky they are because that must mean they're more accurate.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 16, 2018

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I remember flipping through a few of their translations and finding even just skimming them that they were pretty fuckin' ugly. They seem totally soulless, if at least serviceable as translations, where other Russian lit I've read (the Oliver Ready C&P, and the Burgin and O'Connor translation of The Master and Margarita) were light and fun and readable, which I didn't think was possible from what I knew of Russian literature based on the ridiculous abundance of P&V translations that read so stilted.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Is Nabokov Russian lit?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Furious Lobster posted:

Is Nabokov Russian lit?
Early Nabokov, inarguably. Later Nabokov, debatably.

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

Furious Lobster posted:

Is Nabokov Russian lit?

is camus african lit?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Let Dostoyevsky be and read Dead Souls pt I, there's no God in it

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Furious Lobster posted:

Is Nabokov Russian lit?

Everything he wrote in Russian he translated himself (or rather assisted his son in translating it) so yes but he uniquely doesn't suffer from the problem of a poor interpreter.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Heath posted:

Everything he wrote in Russian he translated himself (or rather assisted his son in translating it) so yes but he uniquely doesn't suffer from the problem of a poor interpreter.

You shouldn't say nobody interprets Nabokov badly in a thread that derp reads.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Oxxidation posted:

i didn't, notes was decent and then crime and punishment turned me off the man

the only russian author even born in the 1800's that hooked me was krzhizhanovsky and he barely counts for the purposes of this conversation because a) he started publishing almost half a century after dostoyevsky and b) he was basically one step removed from a speculative fiction author anyway

Read Platonov

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Oh yeah absolutely read Bely, Peterburg is one of the greatest novels ever written

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Russian Literature

More like Russian Shiterature

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I just finished The Great Gatsby and I absolutely hated it.

Help me out, goons. Why is it a classic? Was it the first time Americans were exposed to the idea that rich people are lovely?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Probably so. There's that Twain quote about how Americans view themselves as temporarily embarrassed millionaires, and predates TGG. Most of the middle class viewed the rich as something to aspire to that could be concievablg achieved by anyone.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Borges is some real good poo poo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

fridge corn posted:

heck yes

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

fridge corn posted:

He's the David Vann of being good at writing

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I'm reading some real literature but can't stop loving this child, please help.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I'm reading some real literature but can't stop loving this child, please help.

well put it back in the creel, gosh

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm on page 360 of the luminaries and I just realized I'm thoroughly bored of it

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m thinking of planning a backpacking trip to Paris and the surrounding area, and I’d love to read some French lit that involves the area and French culture.

Other than Dumas, what’s a good starting point?

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Rolo posted:

I’m thinking of planning a backpacking trip to Paris and the surrounding area, and I’d love to read some French lit that involves the area and French culture.

Soumission

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

walter benjamin's passages

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

ulvir posted:

walter benjamin's passages

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Rolo posted:

Paris Peasant by Louis Aragon is extremely cool. Spleen de Paris obvs. Life a User's Manual and A Void b/c Perec is good.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Rolo posted:

Journey to the End of the Night.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
If anyone's interested in the Irish lit scene this has a pretty decent idea of what's going on. As someone said to me (one of the editors quoted in this article) The Stinging Fly is the gold standard. It's often featured writers who've gone on to do great collection, serious novels, or been featured in The New Yorker and Granta. And you'd see people published in both mentioning it among those publications.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/ireland-s-thriving-literary-magazine-scene-space-for-tradition-and-experimentation-1.3496202

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

A mate of mine did his master's with Sally Rooney and he's incredibly annoyed at her rampant success while he edits erotica and fails to get poems published

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

CestMoi posted:

A mate of mine did his master's with Sally Rooney and he's incredibly annoyed at her rampant success while he edits erotica and fails to get poems published

Anyone from a debating society annoys me greatly. Although Rooney seems annoyed at herself for it, which is fair.

And I imagine bitterness and faked smiles in the literary scene, if tapped, could provide power for every bitcoin miner in the world. A force stronger than all the solar panels combined.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

read les miserables it's good and extremely detailed about paris

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Elman posted:

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I just finished The Great Gatsby and I absolutely hated it.

Help me out, goons. Why is it a classic? Was it the first time Americans were exposed to the idea that rich people are lovely?

its loving stupid and bad is why you hated it, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Thanks everyone!