Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Go RV! posted:

I would totally watch tjpw if they weren't tied into the ddt subscription service.

I can't justify two Joshi subs when I barely justify my njpw one anymore

switch NJPW for DDT and save 99 yen/month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

How english friendly is tjpw and ddt streaming? They're also on my list of poo poo I want to watch.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

How english friendly is tjpw and ddt streaming? They're also on my list of poo poo I want to watch.

not at all. Signing up in of itself is so byzantine that there are walkthroughs on how to do it online

They've opened a DDT English twitter that live translates their shows, and they do provide a version with English commentary a little later for their major shows. I hope as more people are jumping on board from outside Japan, it'll start to become more English friendly.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
There are English recap shows for the bigger TJPW events, but other than that, there's no English options, commentary or subtitle-wise. Stardom's subtitles can be janky, but they're still one area where they're ahead of TJPW in terms of production value. It seems like DDT is teetering on the verge of catering more actively to a foreign audience, though - they even put up an actual English description of the upcoming changes to their subscription service. I really wish they'd subtitle the new weekly Maji Manji shows, since those would make a great introduction.

It depends how you define "English friendly," I guess. Again, all the content is in Japanese, but the site itself isn't too tough to navigate, especially if you train yourself to recognize a few wrestlers' names in Japanese. TJPW in particular is heavy on character work, but most of the characters are pretty recognizable and it's not hard to kind of intuit what's going on, especially if you also read the recaps on Dramatic DDT.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Good to know. I got on the NJPW band wagon before they really got good about subtitles and being open to the US so it spent scare me away. Just wanted to know what I was getting into.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
For what its worth, apparently Toni Storm is being advertised as part of the WWE UK roster. If so, I would expect her to drop the World of STARDOM title soon. The only question is to who? I have three names in mind, although there are some other ones I wouldn't rule out.

- Mayu Iwatani (least likely option of the three, imo)

- Kagetsu (She hasn't had a run with the red belt yet)

- Io Shirai (I really don't want another Io red belt run though, since her last one got pretty painful)

And as for other ones I wouldn't rule out:

- Hazuki

- Momo Watanabe

- Hana Kimura

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Hana is signed to Wrestle-1, that ain't happening.

I'd put in a dark horse vote for Jungle Kyona. She's right on the verge of breaking out, and an underestimated champ that earns her spot could have potential. Kagetsu is a more likely option, though.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

HZK is currently drinking herself into a coma while she hangs with the rest of Oedo Tai

https://twitter.com/0929_hazuki/status/994585286066622471

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I swear to God, Evil Hazuki is my favorite thing to happen this year in Stardom. I can't wait to see her and Io beat the poo poo out of each other again.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Just watching the latest episode of wXw Shotgun and there's a sit down interview between Tenille Dashwood and Toni Storm after their main event on the last big show, and they're talking about their future schedules and Tenille says she's going to Japan. Did I miss some announcement? Who's she wrestling for?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

If they're advertising Toni Storm for WWE UK then they have to be pushing real hard for Piper Niven I'd imagine

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Toni Storm is the best because she's dangerous and funny. There's a 30 minute interview with her and Jim Smallman where they wing one liners and bits back and forth at each other nonstop.

Plus she smacks the hell out of her own rear end to prime up her hip attack. How can you not get excited about her?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

If they're advertising Toni Storm for WWE UK then they have to be pushing real hard for Piper Niven I'd imagine

She was on the World of Sport tapings yesterday so probably not for this one.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Yeah, Viper, Bea Priestly and Kay Lee Ray. You'd have to assume all are signed with ITV and won't be involved with WWE anytime soon.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

holy poo poo, they really are gonna put Brandi in that drat dress. ROH ruins everything.

EDIT: THANK YOU IO, YOU DEVILISH PRINCESS

coconono fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 12, 2018

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Rise was a really fun show to go to, if you want to know where I was I was in the third row on hardcam side wearing a LIJ, got introduced to a lot of women's wrestlers I've never seen wrestle before (Shotzi Blackheart, Delilah Doom and Xia Brookside were the standouts from that perspective)
Also it was weird being at a wrestling show where the talent just mingled with the crowd during intermission, I didn't have cash and my social anxiety kind of prevented me from just hanging out and talking with the wrestlers

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Xia is wrestling everyone and everywhere this US swing.

She'll obviously be really something eventually and is still only 18 but I am still impatient about her filling out her frame and making her offence look like it has some physical credibility behind it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm trying to imagine Xia Brookside doing Scott Steiner promos and its cracking me up, thanks Rovert.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/wXwGermany/status/995717840526290945

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/995940669645455360?s=19

This will be one hell of a match. Probably one of the first womens matches in awhile that has the potential to hit 5 stars, depending on the results. Momo vs Io 2 is going to be really good regardless though.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
As it turns out, I bought a ticket for the Stardom Gold Star 2018 Korakuen Hall show and I just happened to get a seat for the second row. And I will be watching this match live. I’m incredibly excited!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Auritech posted:

As it turns out, I bought a ticket for the Stardom Gold Star 2018 Korakuen Hall show and I just happened to get a seat for the second row. And I will be watching this match live. I’m incredibly excited!

dope! is it cool if we play spot the gaijin?

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Sure! I’m already in the videos from the 2 July 2017 show, so maybe you might even recognize me if you’ve seen those. :D

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/SHIMMERwomen/status/996177399359385602

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Is that hashtag supposed to represent the turnaround between when a show was filmed and when it makes it to DVD?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Ayako Hamada arrested for meth. She just won the Sendai Girls championship too...

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Baron Corbyn posted:

Ayako Hamada arrested for meth. She just won the Sendai Girls championship too...
Big yikes. If it had been marijuana I wouldn't have thought too much about it considering how much time she spent in Mexico and America but Meth is a hard turn there drat. I hope she can get into rehab

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Yeesh. If Japan hates weed that much, I can't imagine how low a view they have of meth.

Her career is over now, yeah?

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Japan's one of the top markets for meth in Asia, that's what the majority of its drug arrests are for.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Go RV! posted:

Yeesh. If Japan hates weed that much, I can't imagine how low a view they have of meth.

She's already been fired by one company, and vacated the Sendai Girls title.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
To put it in perspective of how toast Ayako's career is, Io Shirai barely dodged a bullet with her drug related offense.

For those who somehow don't know, Io and Nosawa were dating at one time. They got caught with weed returning from a tour in Mexico, I think. Even though they were framed (the promoter in question admitted to planting the drugs on them/their paintings they got), Io's career was almost completely ruined. Her family pretty much cut ties with her for awhile (they've since mended them), and she had to do some serious rebuilding to get back to where she is today. Her drug related offense is the only reason we know her real name as well. If I recall, she's said in a TV interview that her three loves in life are Weed, Cats, and Wrestling. And she's since cut weed out of her life entirely to focus on her career.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

story I'm hearing is she partied too hard and got caught holding. Big whoopsie in a country that kept Matt Sydal in gaol over synthetic weed.

So moral of the story: remember when you travel, you're still a guest so behave as such and you'll be fine.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

sydal was busted with a weed vape not synthetics

hamada hopefully can work mexico still??

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

oatgan posted:

sydal was busted with a weed vape not synthetics

hamada hopefully can work mexico still??

She's probably getting jail/prison time. Japan takes their drug related offenses incredibly seriously. If charges are brought up against her, she's almost certainly done for. Japan has a 99.9% prosecution/conviction rate when it comes to crimes of any sort. Depending on the substance involved, she could get 6 months on the low end, although its more likely she'll be looking at 2 years+.

It doesn't help that the bar for conviction for drug related crimes is incredibly low either. A urine or blood test is all they need to get a guilty verdict. Japan does NOT gently caress around when it comes to drugs.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 16, 2018

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

For perspective, Japan treats any kind of pain management drug stronger than over the counter Loxonin like a serious addiction risk and even if you’re in a bit of pain they won’t prescribe you anything stronger. They’re paranoid over drugs in general and there’s rampant misinformation about cannabis (I had to educate my wife about how weed is not hallucinogenic like LSD). So if you’re a celebrity caught with drugs, you’re basically humiliated in the media. Meth is bad news though and it’s better to leave a party where it’s at than be in the same room with it.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Go RV! posted:

It's not that much lower than their view of weed, all things considered, but that says volumes more about how hard they are on weed than how soft they are on meth. Either way,

Go RV! posted:

Yeah. If she's still a Mexican citizen, she'll also probably be deported and forbidden from returning to Japan.

To be 100% fair, I haven't seen anywhere confirming that it actually was meth, but the word they've been using is a catch-all term for stimulants that, when you hear it in the news, means amphetamines way more often than not. They're kind of Japan's drug of choice.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i'm honestly kind of surprised that the US' softening on weed hasn't crossed over to Japan at all. like, you'd think with the sheer volume of media we make about weed, people would at least be aware that a fuckload of Americans smoke it and aren't horrifically harmed by it

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i'm honestly kind of surprised that the US' softening on weed hasn't crossed over to Japan at all. like, you'd think with the sheer volume of media we make about weed, people would at least be aware that a fuckload of Americans smoke it and aren't horrifically harmed by it

Japan is a very insular country when it comes to other cultures. While some stuff comes over like music, you won't see stuff like movies or tv shows make it over often.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 16, 2018

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Stardom have finished uploading the 5/3 Shinkiba show and beginning to upload the 5/5 one so just a heads up that Io/Kagetsu will be up soon. Any reports on the match being especially good? I'd expect so with who's involved, but based on the venue I wouldn't be surprised if it was a shorter match or a gently caress finish and they're saving their best stuff for a Korakuen rematch?

Johnny Landmine posted:

To be 100% fair, I haven't seen anywhere confirming that it actually was meth, but the word they've been using is a catch-all term for stimulants that, when you hear it in the news, means amphetamines way more often than not. They're kind of Japan's drug of choice.

it's funny that when a country is overly harsh on marijuana usage, people tend to turn to harder and more dangerous drugs. It's Ketamine here in Taiwan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Baron Corbyn posted:

Stardom have finished uploading the 5/3 Shinkiba show and beginning to upload the 5/5 one so just a heads up that Io/Kagetsu will be up soon. Any reports on the match being especially good? I'd expect so with who's involved, but based on the venue I wouldn't be surprised if it was a shorter match or a gently caress finish and they're saving their best stuff for a Korakuen rematch?

it's funny that when a country is overly harsh on marijuana usage, people tend to turn to harder and more dangerous drugs. It's Ketamine here in Taiwan.

Io/Kagetsu spoiler: It wasn't much of a gently caress finish, considering Kagetsu did some pretty heavy handed cheating including a ref bump which backfired. Its looking like Momo is the one to take the white belt from Io.