Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much money do you spend on this game?
This poll is closed.
Thar she blows ($300/mo.) 9 5.52%
We got our hooks in 'em ($100-$300/mo.) 11 6.75%
They's taking the bait! ($20-100/mo.) 25 15.34%
Toss 'em back in the sea. (F2P - $20/mo.) 118 72.39%
Total: 163 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The Facebook page also has a warning against Lapis sellers, to go with the notice in-game.

There are a few suckups there, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You needed to see the amount of vitroil levied to the CM the early days of the step up. It was pretty unwarranted given alim saying they hosed up in a Livestream a few weeks after the event.

Even when people mathed the rates and it wasn't that big of a nerf people still complained and worse they still spent all their money and lapis into the grinder anyways so it was just a bunch of impotent rage.
I've yet to see a CM for any game company that didnt massively get poo poo on because there's always that 10% of idiots who act like they're directly responsible.

I will never forget that stupid drama with the mighty no 9 kickstarter community.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The Facebook page also has a warning against Lapis sellers, to go with the notice in-game.

There are a few suckups there, too.

It amazes me how many people think gumi senpai will notice them if they act super nice.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Tengames posted:

It amazes me how many people think gumi senpai will notice them if they act super nice.

For some reason FFBE seems to attract more white knights than any other mobile game I’ve played.

Personally, I miss the hackers.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

BGrifter posted:

For some reason FFBE seems to attract more white knights than any other mobile game I’ve played.

Personally, I miss the hackers.

The hackers are the heroes we need, but not the ones we deserve.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its really damned if you do or dont in this case. My first reaction to the step up was that it was useless, that GL got hosed and gumi are bastards (and they are but not in this particular case) You can see my post history when the banner was announced and how down I was on it. But then I loving realized that it was the FFVIII banner step up which is the "Normal" step up for double non limited 5* units. What was Gumi going to do in this case given that loving Alim said the banner was a mistake, rectified it and Gumi is basically following Alims example in this case?

People are going to make fun of Gumi's "Different game" mantra but in this loving case it doesn't apply. It is literally following the JP normal, and people threw a poo poo fit anyways.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I think somebody checked the probabilities and it came down to the difference being one extra rainbow on average for each 25k lap? I did horrible in probabilities so idk if it was a legit good analysis or not. It'd be up to gumi if the negative PR was worth withholding 1-3 extra digital rainbows. I'm on the side of the extra Balthiers and Mercenary Ramzas myself than the 90% Bedile ticket :v:

It'd help if the rest of the game wasn't getting bogged in content problems. Being behind on trials, the FF10 repeat with no other event going on, and the Bahamut raid repeat with no fixes and no rank rewards isn't doing them any favors. Or the arena gacha update, or if JP had reorganizing character abilities yet. I think the userbase is getting restless with GL's issues these last couple months.

I'm not trying to excuse whatever poo poo the CM got though (dealing with a mix of reddit users, gamers, and gambling addicts is something I'd only wish on my worst enemies). They're the biggest victim of this I feel.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The negative PR of withholding those rainbows now is a whole lot less than the negative PR they'd get after every other rate up is worse. People keeping up with JP are an extreme minority of the people playing and probably a drop in the bucket of the cash flow even when compared to the people that do follow JP and still massively whale.

The repeat events is also justified by JP running on a longer event period rotation than GL. Global gets weekly events (most of the time) so little over 4 events a month. JP gets 3 events a month. Gumi ought to be creating new global ex events instead of running repeats though, given how 95% of the content is recycled from JP anyways. It felt like last year was a lot more original content dense than what happening this time around.

Theres absolutely no excuse for things like the Arena update (but please for the love of god dont copy the CURRENT JP arena) and QoL UI update being hold over for no reason.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Theres absolutely no excuse for things like the Arena update (but please for the love of god dont copy the CURRENT JP arena) and QoL UI update being hold over for no reason.

I can understand this delay, actually. Given how much trouble they have maintaining the code as it exists with the staff they have (see: long maintenance times which semi-regularly get extended), I can guess that they just can't handle implementing whatever new code would bring in those updates without breaking a whole lot of other things.

I don't like it, but I can understand it. I'm assuming it's not as easy as CTRL-C CTRL-V.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Is there really a "normal" jp step up? It seems like every banner that has one is different, and people were saying that the ff8 step up, which this was a copy of, was the worst one. So going from jp having this one as insanely generous , to us getting the least generous one jp ever got kind of pissed people off. Sure, don't give us really good one (although one could argue that having a very generous banner a short time before 7* wouldn't be a bad idea if you want happy players).

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah, I'm probably overestimating the people who track JP drastically, and those who do are more likely to raise a shitstorm anyways.

Repeat events are fine by me, it's good for newer players to get the rewards of past events they couldn't do. My problem with FF10 Macalania redone was no other event was going at the time, it was a week of 'do nothing'. Part time/event management, part looking for new stuff to do. More GL exclusive events to fill that 4th week would be nice, yeah. It'd be a good window to catch up on all these trials too, or have another GL exclusive trial. Releasing the Scorn of X trials piecemeal would've been great to help fill the gap of trials (well, started sooner I suppose). And yeah, definitely feels like there was more stuff happening last year.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
1 week of do nothing isnt That bad, if its done sparingly.

its nice to have a break once in awhile

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Khisanth Magus posted:

Is there really a "normal" jp step up? It seems like every banner that has one is different, and people were saying that the ff8 step up, which this was a copy of, was the worst one. So going from jp having this one as insanely generous , to us getting the least generous one jp ever got kind of pissed people off. Sure, don't give us really good one (although one could argue that having a very generous banner a short time before 7* wouldn't be a bad idea if you want happy players).

The ffviii step up banner is the only repeated style banner for non limited double rainbow banners . It only recently changed by making the 4th step have a 1.5x drop rate on rainbows for the jecht auron banner. It remains to be seen if the change is permanent. It should be even better than that because the 4th is rear end

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character
I think the biggest problem was that Gumi gave us the worst step-up banner JP ever got. I think it was wishful thinking we would get the original JP Sephiroth step-up banner since Alim admitted how overly generous it was and it was never repeated in JP. However, it's a bit of a slap in the face that we got the only other step-up banner that was also never repeated; this one because it was too miserly.

It doesn't really make sense to argue that Gumi dialed it back because they didn't want to make the same mistake in Global as JP, when at the same time they're repeating the mistake of using the worst banner that JP put out and then never reused. The backlash probably would not have been as bad if they gave us the current JP standard with the rate up on the 4th step. Even though the Global step-up is only marginally less generous than the standard JP step-up, the optics of Gumi trying to see if we'd swallow less than the baseline that JP settled on is bad.

EDIT:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The ffviii step up banner is the only repeated style banner for non limited double rainbow banners . It only recently changed by making the 4th step have a 1.5x drop rate on rainbows for the jecht auron banner. It remains to be seen if the change is permanent. It should be even better than that because the 4th is rear end

I believe the rate up on the 4th step was introduced with the Tifa banner, which was the next 25k step-up after the Squall/Rinoa banner and all 25k step-ups after that had the rate up on the 4th step.

Ancillary Character fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 16, 2018

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Gumi just needs to not do back to back raids. I was running out of ideas on who to feed xp to after the last one and I haven't spent my 445k (and counting) bahamut raid tokens yet.

I can't evolve a handful of 4* base stuff because they require mechanical parts and other things I've burned away in expeditions... :shepicide:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Thinking on it more, the entire idea that the original sephiroth banner was a "mistake" that shouldn't be repeated is a completely asinine idea that can only come from the lovely company behind the least generous gacha game on the market for one simple reason: being unintentionally generous costs them nothing. Rainbows aren't a physical product that costs them money and could cause problems if they award too many. Hell, having a very generous banner once or twice a year would probably generate some good will with players, particularly with 7 star and stmrs being a thing.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ancillary Character posted:

I believe the rate up on the 4th step was introduced with the Tifa banner, which was the next 25k step-up after the Squall/Rinoa banner and all 25k step-ups after that had the rate up on the 4th step.
Yeah, I'm totally wrong on that one.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Gumi just needs to not do back to back raids. I was running out of ideas on who to feed xp to after the last one and I haven't spent my 445k (and counting) bahamut raid tokens yet.

I can't evolve a handful of 4* base stuff because they require mechanical parts and other things I've burned away in expeditions... :shepicide:

Im only going to pull enough times to get the moogles for my 4th rod. No way I'm going to deal with all that junk that comes with it

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Gumi looking for ways to nerf Sephiroth already. :tinfoil:

https://twitter.com/FFBE_EN/status/996570935074402304

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Kheldarn posted:

Gumi looking for ways to nerf Sephiroth already. :tinfoil:

https://twitter.com/FFBE_EN/status/996570935074402304

They're asking on Facebook too, Facebook doesn't seem thrilled.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I'd be an angry fella too but I drew my first Sephiroth on my first yellow ticket on the banner and I free pulled a rainbow which was Sephiroth #2.

idk sometimes it feels like people are never fuckin' happy with the gacha. sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, that's just how it goes

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Servaetes posted:

I'd be an angry fella too but I drew my first Sephiroth on my first yellow ticket on the banner and I free pulled a rainbow which was Sephiroth #2.

idk sometimes it feels like people are never fuckin' happy with the gacha. sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, that's just how it goes

It's gacha. Make due with what you got and always be pulling.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Servaetes posted:

The problem is that you lose more often than not. But I'm pretty satisfied with my rolls during the banner, Ive stopped doing dailies now till the xenogear banner.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I did one lap on the step up, and I am extremely happy with the results. I got 2 Lila and 1 Sephiroth, but probably most importantly of all, I got Elfreeda #2, which means I now have 2x Marshal Gloves and one Buster Style, opening me up to badass TDH shenanegans.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Khisanth Magus posted:

Thinking on it more, the entire idea that the original sephiroth banner was a "mistake" that shouldn't be repeated is a completely asinine idea that can only come from the lovely company behind the least generous gacha game on the market for one simple reason: being unintentionally generous costs them nothing. Rainbows aren't a physical product that costs them money and could cause problems if they award too many. Hell, having a very generous banner once or twice a year would probably generate some good will with players, particularly with 7 star and stmrs being a thing.

This is basically what I made a long post about and deleted. The idea that they could do anything here but piss people off with the changes they decided were “fair” is laughable. Global may be a different game, but this banner is the shittiest possible example of that concept.

Good examples are the Halloween and Christmas banners. Olive and Fryevia. These are new creations and they’re borderline overpowered at their time, to boot.

Bad examples are things like Nier* and Noctis/Gladio/Crowe and this banner/step-up where we get strictly worse versions of exactly the same thing and are told to shut up because it’s a different game.

* - we did get A2 which is probably a net gain on the banner. But I’d bet there are about as many people who use A2 as there are people who got all Eves and no 9S.

The amount of effort put into translating/localizing for multiple different languages isn’t 0. Plus there are balance considerations that have been addressed that have been considered positive. Acting like they don’t already have a significant portion of work done (sprites, animation, unit design, at least some balance passes) is dumb. It’s double dipping. The argument for changing the gacha is definitely about losses of potential profits as opposed to any kind of cost effectiveness analysis.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 16, 2018

a penus
Aug 14, 2004

see you next mission

http://evandrelical.tumblr.com/post/173929305403/the-sound-of-me-calculating-how-many-crystals-and

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

It's gacha. Make due with what you got and always be pulling.

can't really do that in this game as your team is solely defined by what characters and trust masteries you get. even a lot of no tm/no base 5 teams still require specific offbanner golds that might take ages to pull.

"Make due" only works when youve been around to pick up most useful characters as they released/through brute force via every event ticket over months and months.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tengames posted:

can't really do that in this game as your team is solely defined by what characters and trust masteries you get. even a lot of no tm/no base 5 teams still require specific offbanner golds that might take ages to pull.

"Make due" only works when youve been around to pick up most useful characters as they released/through brute force via every event ticket over months and months.

That's literally what I mean by make due: do what you can with what the gacha gave you. Such is the way.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

“We hosed up again and pissed everyone off?”

“Activate the fountain of Lapis!”

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
I was kind of excited for a slow week, but now we have MK (costs nrg) and story (costs nrg) and still no Rebertancements.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

This is totally going in the first post and will be the next thread title.

Edit: I wonder if I can make "Pray to God because the Gacha(Gumi) ain't listening" fit instead.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 12:01 on May 16, 2018

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

This is totally going in the first post and will be the next thread title.

Edit: I wonder if I can make "Pray to God because the Gacha(Gumi) ain't listening" fit instead.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Now I want more fft edits where gumi and alim are the bad guys. The stones probably translate easily into rainbow crystals if you’re decent at editing.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

For the CG Lid banner, I consider her to be a luxury. If you luck into her through a daily pull, yay. If she’s your waifu, whale away. She’s a single rainbow banner so the odds are good you can pull her in under a 100 tickets.

But honestly? All she’s really good at is drop kicking Jake and fulfilling the breaker role. Granted she is the best at it, but that’s all. Most hard content is immune to breaks or only requires lesser breaks. Basch and WoL can tank and still put out 45% breaks if it’s required.

If you have a 7* ready Loren, this is a hard skip. If you have a single Loren, I’d still say it’s a hard skip cause you’ll be using the upcoming freebie Unit of Choice ticket to get your second Loren. 7* Loren has the same level of breaks that 7* CG Lid has and oh by the way, she’s also a beast chain DPS.

Me? I’m saving tickets for CG Nichol the wunderbard. He’s the next CG unit after Lid and should also be the only rainbow on banner. I’ve got almost 130 tickets and 40 4* tickets. That should give me a good shot at getting two of him so I’ll be 7* ready.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Evil Fluffy posted:

Isn’t having a wealth of materials and experience... a good thing?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bob NewSCART posted:

They probably have a lot by this point.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Bob NewSCART posted:

Well, the materials aren't the same as the more recent raids - everything craftable in this raid is limited by a single ingredient - meaning you can only get 1 copy of everything available. Other raids, at least, we could make 5 or 10 rods or armor or helms or something for expedition units. Once you're done with the first 200ish materials the rest are just really pathetic chunks of gil.

The magicite is nice for anyone that hasn't been playing for a while. I've been playing for a year and I've finally reached the point where I can fully level a (non-3*) esper to max as soon as I get them. It takes almost everything I have, but I'm able to save up from raid drops to be ready for the next esper. Others have that ability plus a stockpile of thousands more.

The Cactuars only suck because we don't have the ability to fuse them yet. If we had that QoL upgrade then everyone should never complain about getting cactuars as you'll need thousands of them. Right now I can relate to the complaint as I'm sitting on a stockpile of 75 - after having leveled 4 units from this banner - and I still have like 400k coins to spend once this raid ends. I'm going to be leveling things like Kefka and the Brave Frontier garbage unitsthe Four Fiends and Golbez (that I keep forgetting exist) because I have nothing else to level. I'll probably invest in more unit space so I can stockpile a bit better for when we do finally get that update, but to make room for everything I'd pull would require a couple thousand lapis at least.\

And I definitely agree with ToonMan's estimation of the CG Lid banner.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 16, 2018

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

It's also pretty lol that they moved the sephiroth banner up to drain resources right before the cg banner.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Cartoon Man posted:

For the CG Lid banner, I consider her to be a luxury. If you luck into her through a daily pull, yay. If she’s your waifu, whale away. She’s a single rainbow banner so the odds are good you can pull her in under a 100 tickets.

But honestly? All she’s really good at is drop kicking Jake and fulfilling the breaker role. Granted she is the best at it, but that’s all. Most hard content is immune to breaks or only requires lesser breaks. Basch and WoL can tank and still put out 45% breaks if it’s required.

If you have a 7* ready Loren, this is a hard skip. If you have a single Loren, I’d still say it’s a hard skip cause you’ll be using the upcoming freebie Unit of Choice ticket to get your second Loren. 7* Loren has the same level of breaks that 7* CG Lid has and oh by the way, she’s also a beast chain DPS.

Me? I’m saving tickets for CG Nichol the wunderbard. He’s the next CG unit after Lid and should also be the only rainbow on banner. I’ve got almost 130 tickets and 40 4* tickets. That should give me a good shot at getting two of him so I’ll be 7* ready.

It's also worth noting that CG Lid's 7* form comes 3 months(eta Nov.) before Auron(eta Feb.), who is a slightly worse breaker but a much better DPS. Auron is basically Loren+.

I'm going to shoot for a Lid though.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 16, 2018

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

PaybackJack posted:

Auron is basically Loren+.

I wouldn't go that far. "Slightly worse breaker" translates to losing an extra 10-20% damage output/mitigation partywide with how stats work in this game.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007
Anyone able to host a Lunera tricked out with MAG as their friend unit? I finally awakened and TMRd mine up and there are a few trials I’d like to tackle, especially with that perfect chaining trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

new kind of cat posted:

Anyone able to host a Lunera tricked out with MAG as their friend unit? I finally awakened and TMRd mine up and there are a few trials I’d like to tackle, especially with that perfect chaining trick.

Sure. 226372592 if we're not already friends.

• Locked thread