Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
It really isn't that bad...unless you're the OP of a thread on the Something Awful forums and are obligated to do everything. Sorry, Greyarc.

A lot of stuff here is optional from here on out, and you can brute-force your way through it pretty quickly if you don't care about missing the optional stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

That being said, some of the optional stuff provides a lot of the funniest material in the game, though YMMV on whether that makes up for what’s about to follow.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

time travelers get all the best speed run strats

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I would also like to reiterate that the very first version of the game that was released in Japan did not have the encounter rate slider. Or the feature to fast forward through battles.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 15, 2018

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I literally turned random encounters completely off at this point and never looked back.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dr. Fetus posted:

I would also like to reiterate that the very first version of the game that was released in Japan did not have the encounter rate slider. Or the feature to fast forward through battles.

Wow that sucks. Makes sense though; the dungeons are laid out such that it's like they want you to be able to take breathers and have to deal with random monsters, but you never do unless you want to.

Also, super happy that we finally have Dark Knight. It's my favorite job and absolutely wrecks poo poo harder than just about anything else. I don't want to say too much until the mechanics updates for the class cover it, but it's a fun job to use.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Dark Night was the cornerstone of my strategy for the next long while. They're shitwreakers.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It begins. :shepicide:

This was about the point I made Ringabel a Dark Knight/Spell Fencer.

Clarste posted:

I literally turned random encounters completely off at this point and never looked back.

Likewise, short of getting monsters for journal entries.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
So put your little hand in mine
There ain't no hill or mountain we can't climb

Babe
I got you babe

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
If I understood the first thing about what makes a strong party, I might not have burned out at this point in the game. Unfortunately I was still struggling with random encounters most of the time and was clearing boss fights by the skin of my teeth, so I put the game down shortly after this.

In hindsight I could have just zeroed out the encounter rate but :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Patter Song posted:

It really isn't that bad...unless you're the OP of a thread on the Something Awful forums and are obligated to do everything. Sorry, Greyarc.

A lot of stuff here is optional from here on out, and you can brute-force your way through it pretty quickly if you don't care about missing the optional stuff.
Seconding this. In fact, I'd say that the gameplay's still fun, it's the plot design that makes this section a bit of a tedious slog.

ThatPirateguy
Mar 18, 2015
I just have to say that I went into this part of the game completely blind, and that I absolutely loved every second of it. Although I do think it's easy to get burned out past this point.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

What happened to the party? Or rather, not our party but the original instances. It's going to be embarrassing when Ringabel goes full Ringabel on two Edeas

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Omobono posted:

What happened to the party? Or rather, not our party but the original instances. It's going to be embarrassing when Ringabel goes full Ringabel on two Edeas

I think that's one of the major plot holes.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'd say that maybe they took the space of the current Edea/Agnes/Tiz, but the Alternis thing puts a dent in that.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It's not.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Ultimately, I do like what Bravely Default is going for here. There's... problems, and some solutions that would have made things a lot better, but best to get there when we get there.

but the first order of business if you're playing along at home:

Clarste posted:

Do that.

Omobono posted:

Suffice to say the writers do more or less remember this.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Likewise, short of getting monsters for journal entries.

Ditto, except I also did a bit of grinding for Vampire monster abilities

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Just read the whole LP. I love it and can't wait for the next update! Keep it up!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Well, fair enough, it's been some years since I saw the non-SA LP of this on Youtube, I might be mis-remembering.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Oh, this game. :allears:

This next part got a little tedious, but overall I enjoyed it. I'd maxed out my party at this point (played it during a time where I had little to do other than grinding,) so like many others, I turned off encounters so I could enjoy the story.

Speaking of story, I actually didn't have that much of a problem with it (other than the obvious you-know-what-I'm-talking-about-shut-up bit.) Of course, I'm not one to go and analyze a plot really deeply - I just roll with it and take what comes.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What the hell just happened?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

As far as we are aware, the party awoke all of the crystals, beat all the bad guys, and delivered Airy into the light that is supposed to heal the world. The party then wakes up in the first town, with the same bad guys still alive, Norende still destroyed, and the crystals all still dormant. At the same time, all of them remember what they just did, and they still have their equipment and experience from the earlier adventure.

You're now on the same page that the party is - they're not sure what happened, why it happened, or what this means for the future.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Chapter 5. :shepicide:

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Patter Song posted:

Don't worry, we'll be covering all the optional stuff. Every single side quest. That's really the only way viewers can get the full message of Bravely Default. How sane I'll be by the end of it, who knows, but at least it's being done in the noble service of free entertainment for strangers on the internet. Have a feeling I'll be ready to bury my Bravely Default cartridge in the ground complete with a little burial site by the time we're done.

I will be speeding through repetitive stuff for the most part as well, so that should make the whole deal more bearable for you guys.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I was hoping the game would pull a page from FFV (well, another page...) and take you to another world/timeline, but that seemed like too much effort and I would've settled for a time travel-themed final dungeon. I'm interested in seeing how they handle the loop and go through the previous chapters with less stupidity the benefit of hindsight.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Greyarc posted:

Don't worry, we'll be covering all the optional stuff. Every single side quest. That's really the only way viewers can get the full message of Bravely Default. How sane I'll be by the end of it, who knows, but at least it's being done in the noble service of free entertainment for strangers on the internet. Have a feeling I'll be ready to bury my Bravely Default cartridge in the ground complete with a little burial site by the time we're done.

I will be speeding through repetitive stuff for the most part as well, so that should make the whole deal more bearable for you guys.

I'm afraid to ask about the true extent to which you'll be covering them. Given that you covered all the variations on the cutscenes in the first four chapters.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
There is still a hole where Norende used to be.
But on the bright side, the rebuilding of Norende has not reset.

Where is New Norende? It's in the menu screen.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Dr. Fetus posted:

I'm afraid to ask about the true extent to which you'll be covering them. Given that you covered all the variations on the cutscenes in the first four chapters.

The plan is to be consistent with the first four chapters. Realistically speaking, this LP will likely miss some small hidden scenes or lines of dialogue just because of the sheer number of possible iterations, but I'm going to at least try and show off all known scenes and extra dialogues, not just for everyone else's curiosity but for my own as well. The downside is that each entry from hereon will take more playtime to complete, so there may be a delay between updates at some point so I can keep ahead.

RC Cola posted:

Just read the whole LP. I love it and can't wait for the next update! Keep it up!

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

Andyzero posted:

Where is New Norende? It's in the menu screen.

This is a JRPG, so New Norende exists in our hearts. Or something.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

I was hoping the game would pull a page from FFV (well, another page...) and take you to another world/timeline, but that seemed like too much effort and I would've settled for a time travel-themed final dungeon. I'm interested in seeing how they handle the loop and go through the previous chapters with less stupidity the benefit of hindsight.

This would have been a nice way of handling the later chapters, but given how quickly we burned through the Eternian Forces due to a good chunk of them being in sidequests, we'd need a whole new slew of antagonists for the back-end here.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
So it's sort of like New Game+ built into the storyline. That doesn't seem so terrible at first blush, but I've been following along blind. Guess we'll see where this goes! Awesome LP, by the way, been lurking from the very beginning.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

EggsAisle posted:

So it's sort of like New Game+ built into the storyline. That doesn't seem so terrible at first blush, but I've been following along blind. Guess we'll see where this goes! Awesome LP, by the way, been lurking from the very beginning.

And if that's all it was, it wouldn't be considered to be as notorious/terrible as it is.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

We'll see what's going on soon enough, and how deserved the reputation is. In the meantime, comments are already edging on spoilers, so let's get back to sticking with what's been shown in the LP proper.

EggsAisle posted:

Awesome LP, by the way, been lurking from the very beginning.

Thanks! It's always good to hear people are enjoying this thing. :)

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Greyarc posted:

Oh god I'm so, so sorry.

Malah
May 18, 2015

I honestly can't even pretend to be moved by this development. At least the thread was gracious enough to only wink-wink-nudge up until a little further ahead than we are, so there's something left to look forward to (besides Greyarc's fantastic commentary and presentation) that I'll get to experience blind. :rolleyes:

It hasn't been so egregious that it's turned me off from reading the thread, but it's a bit irritating that this would have been a decent twist if it hadn't been all but spelled out a long time ago. It's only a bit irritating because I was resigned to this outcome. :shrug: I considered skipping between each update and reading the rest of the thread once the LP finishes, but that rather defeats the point of keeping up with it so far instead of waiting for the archive. It's not like anyone's going to stop doing that poo poo now.

EggsAisle posted:

I feel the same, but judging by the way posters have been so eager to tell the thread about how bad and awful this part is, it's probably going to nosedive.

Malah fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 17, 2018

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

it's pretty obvious even as you're playing that this wasn't gonna be the end point

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Prav posted:

it's pretty obvious even as you're playing that this wasn't gonna be the end point

If you do a bunch of optional material. All of that d's journal stuff? Vampire buds painting expose? Hints that the orthodoxy wasn't on the level from anyone not conquering the world with sociopaths?

Optional. Missable.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

FoolyCharged posted:

If you do a bunch of optional material. All of that d's journal stuff? Vampire buds painting expose? Hints that the orthodoxy wasn't on the level from anyone not conquering the world with sociopaths?

Optional. Missable.

Alternis giving you an asterisk while playing the role of "final boss" (or a normal boss so close to the supposed climax) is a bit of a dead giveaway, even if you skipped all that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Rainuwastaken posted:

Alternis giving you an asterisk while playing the role of "final boss" (or a normal boss so close to the supposed climax) is a bit of a dead giveaway, even if you skipped all that.

And? What happens immediately after beating alternis is the twist itself. You go, wait this isn't right and wake up in bizzaro timeline with no explanation.

E: seriously though. All the game hints is that the crystals/orthodoxy are actually bad. None of this time loop stuff, just bog standard "and now we kill god" jrpg fare. The people going wink wink nudge nudge absolutely spoiled it for me.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
Oh boy! Because we know what's going to happen in the future, that means we'll be able to intelligently stop the Eternians plans AND we'll know what questions to ask them to figure out what their motives are!

:downs: