Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I like the idea of Lunella in a regular public school science class. All the kids making volcanos and she is nurturing a tiny star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I am intrigued by these tough guys, especially yellow sweater

Spidey is upset these are the best villains he has to battle

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

NoneMoreNegative posted:

You'd best not be talking poo poo about Ox, Montana, and Fancy Dan. :colbert:

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Did someone forget what Spider-Mans powers were, cause possessing the strength of many spiders isn’t that impressive.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Oh, I remember these guys! They actually made a number of appearances in the early days of Spider-Man, including one where the Hulk got involved. There were some attempts to update them:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

When I was a kid the first Spider-Man comic I had was a little reprint digest of extremely old Spider-Man so I have a huge amount of affection for those idiots. Them and the stupid robot Spider-Man had to fight.

It was pretty rad and also had the first Vulture and Electro stories as well as the one where Peter is really sick and gets beaten and unmasked by Dr Octopus.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh, I remember these guys! They actually made a number of appearances in the early days of Spider-Man, including one where the Hulk got involved. There were some attempts to update them:

Fancy Dan ditching the hat and purple suit is a horrible design choice.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

SilverSupernova posted:

Agreed. He's just Regular Dan at that point.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's not fancy at all. now he's just dan.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yup, they called me Fancy Dan. Later on, it was Presentable Dan, then Gruesome Dan, and then finally, Dan.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

Wasn't that while Luthor was president? I could see that petty bastard being like "Gotham's ruined? Well that's one superhero I won't have to deal with again, awesome."

Anyway, Secret Warriors #7

Karnak and Moon Girl is something I'd never thought of before and now I need way more of it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Karnak and Moon Girl is something I'd never thought of before and now I need way more of it.

That face is incredible.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

After the Waffle House incident, it was either change the suit or become Gravystain Dan.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NoneMoreNegative posted:

That's also the issue where readers learn why J. Jonah Jameson really hates Spider-Man!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Wheat Loaf posted:

That's also the issue where readers learn why J. Jonah Jameson really hates Spider-Man!

It's because he's black!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

That story owns.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It never ceases to amaze me when someone digs up an obscure silly character for laughs and we get the details on how they're actually an established icon with a history and a legacy, and modern, reimagined cameos

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Samuringa posted:

It never ceases to amaze me when someone digs up an obscure silly character for laughs and we get the details on how they're actually an established icon with a history and a legacy, and modern, reimagined cameos

Spider-man doesn't have a lot of villains that aren't awesome, especially in the first 100 issues.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Never forget that Spider-Man's first ever supervillain was a fake Spider-Man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

That story owns.

It's sorta funny how good those Enforcer stories were in the context of everything else Spider-Man has done since then. He's punched Thanos in the face, but at one point a tiny guy who knew karate and a dude with a whip were serious threats.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

SilverSupernova posted:

To me, Ox isn't Ox without the dumb bowl haircut either.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Spider-man doesn't have a lot of villains that aren't awesome, especially in the first 100 issues.

I think it's kind of a shame that Green Goblin has become Spider-Man's ultimate villain when for most of those first 100 issues, his arch-enemy was Doctor Octopus, who I like a lot better than Osborn.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think it's kind of a shame that Green Goblin has become Spider-Man's ultimate villain when for most of those first 100 issues, his arch-enemy was Doctor Octopus, who I like a lot better than Osborn.

For all that I don't like Superior Spider-Man that much, I think it had the right point. Dr. Octopus is the best evil counterpart to Spider-Man because he is a put-upon nerd who is entirely selfish and self-centered and who uses his powers to help himself and not others.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He's also thematically coherent. Goblins don't even have eight legs.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Ghostlight posted:

Sounds like you're palling around with some pretty cut-rate goblins.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

Goblins also have zero interest in marrying one's aunt.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

Goblins also have zero interest in marrying one's aunt.

said aunt is decidedly goblin-esque, so i'm not sure why

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Early Spider-Man has a fantastic moment that took them entirely too long to put in a movie
That part where he's buried under tons of rubble and has to lift it all off of him, and Homecoming adapted it :discourse:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

For all that I don't like Superior Spider-Man that much, I think it had the right point. Dr. Octopus is the best evil counterpart to Spider-Man because he is a put-upon nerd who is entirely selfish and self-centered and who uses his powers to help himself and not others.

Yeah, he's basically older, meaner, fatter Peter Parker. The split personality aspect of the Green Goblin is interesting, as is all the drama with Harry, but ultimately the Goblin himself is just some doofus in a Halloween mask.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Early Spider-Man has a fantastic moment that took them entirely too long to put in a movie
That part where he's buried under tons of rubble and has to lift it all off of him, and Homecoming adapted it :discourse:

It was in the spectacular cartoon Spectacular Spider-Man, which was killed so Disney could make a much worse cartoon.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

It saddens me that the Arkham games and the recent garbo animated movies have him voice Bruce as basically Batman Lite. Hell, even New Adventures kinda made Bruce Wayne more like Batman, and you lose something there. I always liked how there was a clear distinction between the Batman voice, the public Bruce Wayne voice, and the "real" Bruce who talks to Alfred and Robin, which is closer to Batman but not quite as harsh.

I think this was a studio edict because they were afraid kids wouldn't be able to tell Bruce and Batman were the same guy otherwise.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I think this was a studio edict because they were afraid kids wouldn't be able to tell Bruce and Batman were the same guy otherwise.

:shepicide:

Skwirl posted:

It was in the spectacular cartoon Spectacular Spider-Man, which was killed so Disney could make a much worse cartoon.

It was killed for unrelated reasons to the bad cartoon. Also the Human Torch not being in the old fantastic four cartoon was a rights issue, not people being afraid children would set themselves on fire.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Calaveron posted:

Spider-man 2 also did it

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Forget the enforcers, this is the reboot we need.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Y'all know I'm not the biggest Hickman fan around, but credit where credit's due, his Death Race story in Deadly Hands of Kung Fu is timeless stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Y'all know I'm not the biggest Hickman fan around, but credit where credit's due, his Death Race story in Deadly Hands of Kung Fu is timeless stuff.

It's timeless because that joke is older than god.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

It's timeless because that joke is older than god.

The entire thing is gold tho.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Samuringa posted:

Did The Walrus (With his proportional strength, speed, and reflexes of a walrus) ever get a modern reimagining?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Dareon posted:

Did The Walrus (With his proportional strength, speed, and reflexes of a walrus) ever get a modern reimagining?

Apparently he was in an issue of Gwenpool so yes?