Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

mcbexx posted:

So what I'm reading from all this is I should sacrifice a goat to make sure my 2500k@4.2 lasts another 18-24 months? :sweatdrop:

The chip will, the board, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

mcbexx posted:

So what I'm reading from all this is I should sacrifice a goat to make sure my 2500k@4.2 lasts another 18-24 months? :sweatdrop:

I wouldn't be surprised if Zen 2 is better than the Intel chips and it will be out a lot sooner.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 15, 2018

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I'm so glad every other fab teamed up to deliver the punchline to this rolling comedy cramp

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

MaxxBot posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Zen 2 is better than the Intel chips and it will be out a lot sooner.

Do you think we'll see zen 2+ within 5-6~ months of intel 10nm?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Zen 2 on 7nm (which is similar to Intel 10nm) is coming in about a year or less, they're sampling chips at the end of this year. Intel 10nm desktop release date at this point is basically :shrug:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

https://twitter.com/TMFChipFool/status/996478399794368514

:holymoley:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm starting to get Pentium 4 flashbacks. Make it stop plz.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Serious question. Has one been using one of these new AMD systems for say 6+ months and had it be completely stable and glitch free? Talking Threadripper or Ryzens.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

redeyes posted:

Serious question. Has one been using one of these new AMD systems for say 6+ months and had it be completely stable and glitch free? Talking Threadripper or Ryzens.

I've had zero problems on both my R3 1200 PCs, both running linux (one as a server and one running as a desktop PC).

Both overclocked to 3.8Ghz with stock cooling and 3200mhz RAM (though one of the boards is a low-end part and can only manage 2999).

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That is reassuring. Any windows users?

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

redeyes posted:

I've had a 1600 that has been stable and no glitches that I know of. I did buy slower RAM though.

Edit: since last fall. August I think?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Really good to hear! Time to bust a cap in my 7700k and get some more cores.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Do you have some software that causes capacitors to burst

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

They're def. stable. My friend has been sharing a 1700 with his gamer son since they launched, it's been mixing audio for 10 hours a day then gaming all night. I doubt it's been powered off more then an hour since it was built last year.

mystes
May 31, 2006

redeyes posted:

I've been using a 1700 with Linux since June and it has been completely stable.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Twerk from Home posted:

Buy a Threadripper. Threaderipper Gen2 will be a powerhouse, and Threadripper gen1 is down to ~$700 for 16C/32T.
I actually want one, because cores, lanes and ECC. But the gaming side is pretty icky, with what the high inter-die latency. If I knew that the Game Mode of Windows 10 would stick everything on the same NUMA node automagically (instead of being required to boot into AMDs own Game Mode), that'd be that, but I don't.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mewse posted:

Do you have some software that causes capacitors to burst

I'm going to shoot my piece of poo poo 4 core.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

redeyes posted:

I'm going to shoot my piece of poo poo 4 core.

I don't even have hyperthreading. Man that was a mistake.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jesus. No wonder they had to go with the Keller Option. This is unironically the state AMD was in six-seven years ago.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Hope other fabs don't experience delays "at the last minute".

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
I've got a 1950x with sli 1080tis and have had zero issues with it from day one

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Twerk from Home posted:

Would you be happy with 2x7700K performance at 2x7700K TDP? Somewhere around 140W, TDP does start to be a real problem. There's a reason server cooling is so obnoxiously loud.
140W TDP isn't a problem if you have a cooler of the right size

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Malloc Voidstar posted:

140W TDP isn't a problem if you have a cooler of the right size

Those coolers look great on mitx boards.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Those coolers look great on mitx boards.

While we're on the topic of matx/mitx mobo gangbanging...

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

I actually want one, because cores, lanes and ECC. But the gaming side is pretty icky, with what the high inter-die latency. If I knew that the Game Mode of Windows 10 would stick everything on the same NUMA node automagically (instead of being required to boot into AMDs own Game Mode), that'd be that, but I don't.

I fixed this by doing my gaming on a Windows VM in KVM and pinning six cores to one physical CPU and running the processor in NUMA mode. ( Channel mode ). With looking Glass in full screen mode and a dedicated mouse or a steam link on the TV it works really nice.

redeyes posted:

On Windows a 1950X is completely stable, on Linux I had some issues with KVM and GPU passtrough, but after compiling a new kernel with some patches for PCIe it works really well. I've bought this CPU when it came out in Europe.

eames
May 9, 2009

redeyes posted:

I'm starting to get Pentium 4 flashbacks. Make it stop plz.

Ha, I had similar thoughts. What if the Atom team does to the Core architecture what the Pentium M did to NetBurst?

mcbexx posted:

Depends on your workload, if you run some multithreaded productivity applications then you can count on AMD for incremental improvements over the next few years until they run out of Jim Keller designs steam. They’ll probably have 12C 4.5 GHz Ryzens and 24C Threadrippers out next year.
If you play a lot of games at high FPS then consider a 6C (soon 8C) Coffee Lake CPU and OC it to 5 GHz because neither Intel nor AMD look like they‘ll be able to beat that by a large margin in the next few years. I hope I‘m wrong.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

8c coffee lake is interesting. Wonder if it will match pre - meltdown patch coffeelake IPC or not.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Nah unlike amd Intel had a decent arch they just are hopelessly tied to their fabs

Now that their fabs are hosed due to hubris they are hosed since internet senior leadership is moronic

Modems are not on Intel fabs tho, and maybe that discrete Gpu isn't but given that Intel has always been full of its fabrication technology lead they are going to be in a lot of pain while they flail around and likely spin out their fab tech

Brian K should be fired, no CEO can preside over such a gently caress up and stay on

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

eames posted:

Ha, I had similar thoughts. What if the Atom team does to the Core architecture what the Pentium M did to NetBurst?

Depends on your workload, if you run some multithreaded productivity applications then you can count on AMD for incremental improvements over the next few years until they run out of Jim Keller designs steam. They’ll probably have 12C 4.5 GHz Ryzens and 24C Threadrippers out next year.
If you play a lot of games at high FPS then consider a 6C (soon 8C) Coffee Lake CPU and OC it to 5 GHz because neither Intel nor AMD look like they‘ll be able to beat that by a large margin in the next few years. I hope I‘m wrong.

Jim Keller hasn't worked for Apple in years and they still make the best CPUs out there ( at their place on the PPA optimal frontier).

AMD has enough to last them a decade

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Why spend 20% more money on a mitx board then stick huge components on it?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

redeyes posted:

I know the moment is kinda passed, but my R7 1700 has been flawless since July last year.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Potato Salad posted:

I still think mATX is the best form factor. Even better than ATX, since who (honestly) runs that many expansion cards?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

redeyes posted:

Launch Ryzen 1700/B350 here, works perfectly fine, Windows 10. Handbrake/games/monero [:ninja:] weeks and weeks stable.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Also R7 1700 on a B350 bought early no problems whatsoever.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

eames posted:

This seems possible. The 16-core Denverton outperforms 6-core/12-thread Coffee lake in multithreaded tasks while using less power. I'd be curious about die size comparisons, but Intel doesn't release that info anymore.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Potato Salad posted:

Smallest computer with the best cooling on air (no pump noise, can run small loads passively, etc).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Apparently Cannonlake-U is the first consumer architecture with AVX512 support, even though ARK says it's not supported.

https://twitter.com/instlatx64/status/996711279019601920?s=21

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
But is it meltdown ITT proof

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

With 10mm delayed does that mean we won’t see any significant boosts in mobile or laptop performance for next few years?

Aside from small incremental gains or little things like a new Bluetooth version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Tab8715 posted:

With 10mm delayed does that mean we won’t see any significant boosts in mobile or laptop performance for next few years?

Aside from small incremental gains or little things like a new Bluetooth version.

Wouldn't that be on the chipset and not the cpu package? They are free to add more to their chipsets