Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I guess bits are Twitch currency, and you can earn them by watching ads, and he watched ads to give bits to his favorite streamer. It's not that difficult from context. (watch me be wrong now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
That's what they are. You buy bits and then give them to streamers. It's a way to give streamers money directly through Twitch, other than subscribing to them.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I give Twitches bits. Twitches love bits.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

dang, exploiting your personal sympathy for a streamer to get you suckered into twitch's big money ad game is pretty loving insidious

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Bits are the ones and zeroes in your computer. When you watch an ad it’s not exactly 30s long because computers count time in binary so there are some dangling bits at the end of the ad. You collect them and then you give them to the streamer so they can put them at the end of their video to continue streaming.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

100 bits is worth a Bitcoin, which is where they get their name.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
All this talk of bits on the bonkers twitch advertising does nothing to answer my question about the bizarro ad I saw. Imagine something like that happening on tv. Like, you're watching Big Bang Theory or whatever, and a commercial comes on of two guys at a water cooler, and one says "man, did you see the big game?" "No, I was busy watching CBS!!" "Well man, you missed it!" "Missed what??" *cue footage of guys slam dunking or whatever*. Call me crazy, but it seems like CBS wouldn't be a fan of allowing that ad to air...I mean, it mostly seems to suggest that you're wasting your time watching the network the ad is airing on.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Bits are the ones and zeroes in your computer. When you watch an ad it’s not exactly 30s long because computers count time in binary so there are some dangling bits at the end of the ad. You collect them and then you give them to the streamer so they can put them at the end of their video to continue streaming.

Thanks for the technical explanation, now I get it

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Two bits gets you a haircut, a glass of whiskey, or a sack of cornmeal.*

*Prices accurate for economic system that arises after the Murderwars of 2023.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Cerepol posted:

COBOL is not a dead language, and is unlikely to be even in the next 20 years. I work at a bank and far too much of it runs on this stuff to be changed. Not to mention the z/os mainframes are incredibly solid in terms of downtime and access, scheduling and maintenance. The only issue is COBOL isn't taught nearly as much in NA as it should be so companies like the one I work for tend to use a lot of offshore resources as COBOL is taught in places like India because they know there is demand for anyone who can read/write COBOL semi-competently.

I work with cobol at a bank and the guy who i replaced was more then twice my age. I specifically learned cobol because its a dead language still in use in alot of places and i wanted a job. They dont pay me anywhere near what that old guy 15 yrs past retirement age got but I get some ok perks and i dont have to move to a tech hub.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

snergle posted:

I work with cobol at a bank and the guy who i replaced was more then twice my age. I specifically learned cobol because its a dead language still in use in alot of places and i wanted a job. They dont pay me anywhere near what that old guy 15 yrs past retirement age got but I get some ok perks and i dont have to move to a tech hub.

What resources did you use to learn? Was it your first serious tech job or had you been doing it for awhile? Any thoughts on "visual COBOL" and other attempts to modernize?

I studied Latin in high school so I kind of dig dead/dying languages anyway but am thinking I might want to get more practical tech experience before picking it up even as a side thing.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Doesn't a lot of important government and banking stuff still run off COBOL? If so, and if you're one of the few people who know, that's job security

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Randaconda posted:

Doesn't a lot of important government and banking stuff still run off COBOL? If so, and if you're one of the few people who know, that's job security

Yeah, my aunt worked in social security, and she said that the government was basically dying to bring in some young people who knew COBOL because everyone who knew it was at or nearing retirement age. I've actually considered learning it myself just to get a decently secure job.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Randaconda posted:

More than that, actually. COBOL will never go away.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao @ the idea that people still use mac's in business settings.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtlicious posted:

lmao @ the idea that people still use mac's

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Well someone must be

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Paladin posted:

What resources did you use to learn? Was it your first serious tech job or had you been doing it for awhile? Any thoughts on "visual COBOL" and other attempts to modernize?

I studied Latin in high school so I kind of dig dead/dying languages anyway but am thinking I might want to get more practical tech experience before picking it up even as a side thing.

i just skimmed a few tutorials and this one seems fine http://www.academictutorials.com/cobol/ but i learned it from a book in my local library. I just learned the syntax for it and then applied for my job thats how desperate places are to higher people. You get a ton of on the job training because alot of systems are an in house thing. As for visual I don't have any experince with it. Most places that still use cobol are like we are totally going to modernize but then the estimate comes out to a few BILLION and they quietly sweep that idea under the rug. The guy I replaced said in his time there they "tried" 10 times to modernize and it never got past the hey this costs X stage. In my time here they have already tried once.

It was my first tech job but I went to a really progressive high school in ca and i got a+ and c++ cert as well as learning lovely dumb languages like html. This + liking video games lead me to want to go digitech in seattle but then I had problems in high school and ended up going to a new hs where I could do things at my own pace and graduated 1.5 yrs early. I worked a few different jobs until I basically decided I want job security and a white collar job and did some research on what languages to learn and everyone recommends cobol so I did it and applied to a few places. Every single one called me back. That was during the economic down turn around mid 2007.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Turtlicious posted:

lmao @ the idea that people still use mac's in business settings.

I use a mac at work. :v:

:cripes:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Only the important people use Macs at work.

When the Politeriate rises up, managers will throw away their MacBooks like Iraqi soldiers ditching their uniforms in a vain attempt to blend in with the crowd. It will be then that everyone will want a Dell.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol yeah but Dells loving suck tho

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's why I use Thinkpads. Same price as Macs but they look like they are from 1982.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

chromebooks are the lumpenprole

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
What computer does the real proletariat use comrade?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Commodore VIC-20, obviously. Not that aspirational C64 with its decadent overabundance of memory.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

umalt posted:

Электроника 60, the machine for which Tetris was made.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

umalt posted:

None at all, obviously.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Last Chance posted:

Still better than any Apple computer, tho

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Randaconda posted:

Still better than any Apple computer, tho

Every Dell case I've ever used creaked like thawing lake ice minutes before a terrible pick-up game of hockey tragedy.

It'll be Dells for the people whereas the politburo won't be caught dead in anything less than a Thinkpad.

Platystemon posted:

Электроника 60, the machine for which Tetris was made.

That's beautiful. One of those switches better be a turbo though.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Last Chance posted:

I got a Dell before I attempted college the first time, and while it lasted years, gently caress if I could ever upgrade anything on it. Weird-rear end nonstandard motherboard, and loving expensive as hell RDRAM.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Krispy Wafer posted:

That's beautiful. One of those switches better be a turbo though.

The labels read, as best as I can tell:

ПИТАНИЕ ВЬІКЛ

ПРОГРАММА ПУЛЬТ

ТАИМЕР ВЬІКЛ

Machine translation suggests something like:

POWER

PROGRAM CONSOLE

TIMER OFF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHkWKcPYb-E

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

umalt posted:

any kind they want, because labor is entitled to all it creates.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Twitch posted:

I got a Dell before I attempted college the first time, and while it lasted years, gently caress if I could ever upgrade anything on it. Weird-rear end nonstandard motherboard, and loving expensive as hell RDRAM.

I've had two different Dell laptops and not o e had a hard drive survive longer than 3 months. Meanwhile my HP that I was warned against buying is still running.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Dell business laptops, even the standard issues ones, in 2002-2009, used to be built like tanks. Their quality has worsened with every upgrade I have been given (between 2-3 years of service).

My current one takes the cake; the casing was twisted when it arrived. Put in on a flat table and one corner is always in the air, and the build quality is so poor that you can by hand force the corner into ground. Our IT services told that most of them are like that, or twist like that if they are carried in a briefcase with other stuff in it.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I still have a Dell XPS M1530 laptop from... 2010ish? I've had to replace a bunch of parts (screen power cable, keyboard, cd drive...), but the actual chassis is still as solid as a rock.

I actually have a backup laptop of the exact same model stashed away in storage. I figure I'm covered for another decade at least. Might pick up another one when if my current one dies, too.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Der Kyhe posted:

Dell business laptops, even the standard issues ones, in 2002-2009, used to be built like tanks. Their quality has worsened with every upgrade I have been given (between 2-3 years of service).

My current one takes the cake; the casing was twisted when it arrived. Put in on a flat table and one corner is always in the air, and the build quality is so poor that you can by hand force the corner into ground. Our IT services told that most of them are like that, or twist like that if they are carried in a briefcase with other stuff in it.

Dell used to be the goto company for precanned computers. Your best options were an independent dude with a good local reputation, your nerd friend who builds his own, or Dell. HP made very good printers if you ignored the ink gouging but otherwise made crap. Gateway was...gateway.

But really Dell computers were just everywhere. You could call them up and say "i need like 500 computers for this business" then send a check and have them next week. They'd be solid machines and they'd fix the one or two in the batch that didn't work quickly. I think they ended up becoming a victim of their own success as the quality has been declining for at least a decade. In pursuit of profits use cheaper parts and all that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Dell used to be the goto company for precanned computers. Your best options were an independent dude with a good local reputation, your nerd friend who builds his own, or Dell. HP made very good printers if you ignored the ink gouging but otherwise made crap. Gateway was...gateway.

Back when Dell was good, the reason they were good was because you could just buy off the shelf parts for them if you wanted an upgrade. All the other pre-canned computers of the time weren't nearly as flexable

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Dell was the bomb in the 90's. The idea of getting a computer custom-made for you and shipped to your door was radical. So many little customizations. Like hearing a guy say, "Dude, you're getting a Dell!" was a good thing.

Then the capacitor mess pretty much ended their reputation. Now they're bought in spite of their quality.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have an Optiplex 960 that's been upgraded several times, and it's still chugging along. Works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

HP made very good printers if you ignored the ink gouging but otherwise made crap.

I am also very certain that the last paper ever printed by mankind will be done with Laserjet 5-series to request more spare parts from the museum. Those things are like the AK-47 or DC-3 of the printers and everything can be changed by a tech with one mid-sized screwdriver.