Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah but you already have dropships that do that AND are armed and armored. The best the argo can do when it's threatened is warm up the Leopard and hope the hull doesnt get holed again, putting Dekker in the medbay yet again.

Its nice but its like taking a limo out on an offroad adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Presumably it can hold 2 leopards, potentially even 3 considering the bottom airlock type device that you normally hook up to the jumpship.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

If it were part of a larger fleet, it'd have other stuff to defend it, but yeah, other ships fill that niché better. The one thing the Argo really has to its name is long range autonomy, which isn't much of an asset anywhere except the Periphery. In more settled parts of the Sphere, it'd be a giant floating target.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 09:36 on May 16, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, the Argo would be pretty drat useful for an exploratory mission since it can maintain gravity without thrust, has hydroponics to supply food for the crew and staff, and has small-scale manufacturing facilities to help with repairs and maintenance.

But when you're the leader of a Successor State you don't need to shove all of those eggs into one hideously expensive prototype basket, you can just rely on economy of scale and specialized vessels and facilities for just about every situation you'd come across in civilized space.

Granted, the Argo is also useful for smaller outfits attempting to operate independently for extended periods of time (like the post-Markham's Marauders) and it can even cover parts of its own maintenance costs, to a degree, but they're not who the Star League was developing it for.

I want to see an XTRO canonizing the Aurigan Reach and the Argo get published by Catalyst in future. And maybe with a note stating that the Argo-class DropShip, even though its schematics were recovered after the Jihad, was only produced in limited quantities. And that one customer customized their Argo to have three Low-G Pools.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Xarbala posted:

Yeah, the Argo would be pretty drat useful for an exploratory mission since it can maintain gravity without thrust, has hydroponics to supply food for the crew and staff, and has small-scale manufacturing facilities to help with repairs and maintenance.

But when you're the leader of a Successor State you don't need to shove all of those eggs into one hideously expensive prototype basket, you can just rely on economy of scale and specialized vessels and facilities for just about every situation you'd come across in civilized space.

Granted, the Argo is also useful for smaller outfits attempting to operate independently for extended periods of time (like the post-Markham's Marauders) and it can even cover parts of its own maintenance costs, to a degree, but they're not who the Star League was developing it for.

I want to see an XTRO canonizing the Aurigan Reach and the Argo get published by Catalyst in future. And maybe with a note stating that the Argo-class DropShip, even though its schematics were recovered after the Jihad, was only produced in limited quantities. And that one customer customized their Argo to have three Low-G Pools.

That reminds me though: Was there ever a reason given for there being cameras in the pool area, that comes up during that one event?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

evilmiera posted:

That reminds me though: Was there ever a reason given for there being cameras in the pool area, that comes up during that one event?

I mean it's not like it's a place to expect privacy and security cameras help keep people honest. Hell half the starting mechwarrior roster are criminals.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

evilmiera posted:

Was a storage area first so probs to check on the hold.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

IIRC the cameras were in the hallway outside of the pool area.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Flipswitch posted:

Was a storage area first so probs to check on the hold.

I'd have just presumed removing cameras in an area where people walk around in what amounts to their underwear was sort of a given. Also, they renovated the area to get the pools in there, so why even keep the cameras if it was a hold before?

I get why some of the weirder techs would be checking those cameras though. And sharing it with their commander.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Having sensors to check up on all parts of a spaceship seems sensible. Doubly so if it sees combat etc. so why not.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

you need cameras in the pool to make sure dekker isnt drowning again

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Kharnifex posted:

Finally finished the game, saw a Victor once, and never saw an urban mech

Wait, what's a Victor?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Astroniomix posted:

IIRC the cameras were in the hallway outside of the pool area.

It's this. The reason the skinny dippers got caught was because they flung themselves into the hallways leading into the pool area.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Taear posted:

Wait, what's a Victor?

Not much my man whats victor with you?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Taear posted:

Wait, what's a Victor?

a bad and ugly 80-tonner, like ur mom

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

peer posted:

holy poo poo :iceburn:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Man MW4: Mercs gives you heavy mechs fast! So many Catapults and Arguses (Argusi?) :v:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

i really liked it because of the mechwarriors getting nude and presumably loving in the pool

Dekker? I hardly know her!

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

peer posted:

:drat:

At least it's better than a Zeus.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Does the Battletech universe openly acknowledge that Aerodyne dropships like the Leopard would be much better for dancing units around a plant than egg shaped 'we landed here, we can take off in a week' style dropships?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Alchenar posted:

Does the Battletech universe openly acknowledge that Aerodyne dropships like the Leopard would be much better for dancing units around a plant than egg shaped 'we landed here, we can take off in a week' style dropships?

Yes, but aerodyne dropships can't carry nearly as much weight, so spheroid are best for larger force deployment. Aerodyne generally need runways or long open areas to land and takeoff as well, with exceptions such as the Leopard.

Edit: playing this game has made me realize I know alot more about this setting than I realized, especially considering I never played TT or got that big into the previous games.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 16, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I hope that at Paradoxcon they announce some DLC for the game. Maybe a new story?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
New maps is my #1 most wanted thing at this point.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Night10194 posted:

I adore that the response to a shitload of empty space is to put in your own swimming pool.

I see nothing wrong with a big pool of extra reaction mass and mech fuel.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

aleksendr posted:

I see nothing wrong with a big pool of extra reaction mass and mech fuel.

And the only pool maintenance to do is scoop out the half-dead floating Dekkers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I restarted the game a few weeks back to save Glitch.

And now Glitch is running around in a Stalker one shotting people with LRM/SRM barrages. That's my girl.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Vadoc posted:

Dekkers.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

:chloe:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Stay awhile, and listen!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anyone familiar enough with the tabletop to give me some recommendations on starting out or if there's a
Some ideal alternative if the games old and shity?

Want me some robots to paint as an aside to all this infinity if been doing

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Dekker invited his family..it didn't go well.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
Does faction reputation affect anything besides shop prices?

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

w00tmonger posted:

Anyone familiar enough with the tabletop to give me some recommendations on starting out or if there's a
Some ideal alternative if the games old and shity?

Want me some robots to paint as an aside to all this infinity if been doing

What you really want is the "Introductory Boxed Set" or the "25th anniversary boxed set". Unfortunately both are out of print but they do show up at game stores from time to time.

Another alternative is to buy the master rulebook "Battletech Total Warfare". Most game stores have this in stock, even though it is out of print. Then you can buy whatever minis you want.

A new boxed set and rulebook is being worked on and is due to be published soon.

Overall the core rules are good, but there are few house rules that speed up play and eliminate annoyances and exploits.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Am I the only one who drops all their LRMs like a stone? Everyone seems to be using LRM carriers, while I find them just too much hassle to use with a bunch of close-range mechs- I prefer the tonnage to go to more lasers/heat sinks/SRMs

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Alchenar posted:

hint hint everything in battletech is powered by handwavium and nerd technophelia. none of it makes any sense either when examined against the rules of the real world or even it's own context. everything is there to make a setting that feels good to the author and produces the "right" kind of guns and robits.

hint 2: extend this to most other military scifi

hint 3: scifi in general

But to answer your question, no, an aerodynamic vehicle would not be a faster way of moving to different parts of the planet. these things can lift to orbit in a single burn and accelerate continuously at 1G for days. they have ludicrous power. why bother going through all that atmosphere when it just slows you down? instead, lift off to above the Karman line and do a powered sub-orbit burn to your destination. gently caress flying, mach 3 is too drat slow.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Am I the only one who drops all their LRMs like a stone? Everyone seems to be using LRM carriers, while I find them just too much hassle to use with a bunch of close-range mechs- I prefer the tonnage to go to more lasers/heat sinks/SRMs

I use a stock Cat C1 as fire support, but everything I configure to be short range. I prefer the AC/20, SRM, ML game.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I use a stock Cat C1 as fire support, but everything I configure to be short range. I prefer the AC/20, SRM, ML game.

I go long range hybrid. I've got a nearly stock Awesome, and my King Crab and Highlander are both AC/Guass & LRM boats. I then keep a Steiner scout mech of some kind for my Sensor Jockey to ride, usually an AC20 Orion, or a jumpy Shadow Hawk or Griffin. I'm hoping to get a Banshee to turn into a true Steiner Recon Lance of four Assaults, with the Banshee as the "scout".

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I've had a lot of success going short range for everybody but having one LRM boat with light armor that sits on a nearby hill to help distribute pain to any enemy mech that needs just a liiiittle more damage or stability damage.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Davos posted:

Does faction reputation affect anything besides shop prices?

gives a bonus (or penalty) to rewards for missions

also possibly the max danger level of missions they'll give to you. simgameconstants has numbers for that but I'm not sure exactly how or whether it works. has anyone here actually gotten a faction to dislike them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I don't have anyone actively disliking me but I've seen a 'Rep with this faction is not high enough' that prevented me from taking a max-skull mission for the Taurians.