Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The new game isn't a 1:1 replacement for the Epic the community currently plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

moths posted:

I'd be the first in line to replace my Epic figures with better looking ones, my problem is that this is almost guaranteed to lose steam before they get to non-Imperial factions.

What makes you say this? It's not like they've abandoned Shadespire, Necromunda, or Blood Bowl. And they're still doing that expensive Horus Heresy spinoff game for some reason

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Right. But they've already confirmed that it will be replacement epic eventually.

E: BB is already dead where I am, but it launched with a boost from existing players and models.

Like, it's going to take time to scale down the entire 40k line and they're not going to do that if there's no interest. And there won't be interest if everyone is waiting for tyranids, necrons, guards, whatever before getting invested.

moths fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 15, 2018

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

moths posted:

The stated reason for the scale change was that the infantry models look better.

(Hint: There is no infantry in AT.)

That was one of the stated reasons. And there being no infantry now does not mean they won't do them at some point. Or even just armoured vehicles. This is good design, thinking ahead and allowing for possible avenues in the future.

As mentioned, Epic had no actual fixed scale. It was a mish mash balls up because of design shortsightedness and manufacturing limitations at the time. With CAD they can stick rigidly to a scale, across the whole range, and if you can do that then why on earth wouldn't you go with the absolute unit on the left in that picture?
What possible, sane, reason is there for them to take compatibility with the old range into account for even a second?

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

moths posted:

Right. But they've already confirmed that it will be eventually.

Besides stating that 8mm was a scale where they could make great details on Titans and also gave satisfactory detail to infantry for possible future expansion, what confirmation have they ever made that "AT is the official replacement for Epic".

EDIT: Also this -

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

What possible, sane, reason is there for them to take compatibility with the old range into account for even a second?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
You guys are gonna have to accept that a post 9/11 world requires bigger robots.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Shadin posted:

what confirmation have they ever made that "AT is the official replacement for Epic".

AT is the replacement for AT. Have they not been saying from day 0 that if it takes off they'll expand it to Epic?

Like that was their whole reason for sculpting 8mm space marines.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

moths posted:

AT is the replacement for AT. Have they not been saying from day 0 that if it takes off they'll expand it to Epic?

Like that was their whole reason for sculpting 8mm space marines.

you're just looking for excuses to stay mad the new game isn't compatible with these trashy old models and it's embarrassing, really

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm not mad. I love the new models and I love Epic and I just wish they'd get along.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
GW weren't ever going to start supporting old epic again with model releases so it has zero impact on that game. Treat this as a seperate game because thats what it is.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I mean we'll probably get Epic Horus Heresy, which will be exciting for the six sad people who care about it. Of which I'll be one.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

moths posted:

I'm not mad. I love the new models and I love Epic and I just wish they'd get along.

But how would that even happen when Epic had no proper scale. Unless they specifically just re-released Epic compatible models, all in the same wrong scales.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
I will say this, as someone who was definitely on the GW Hate Train for a long while, SG has been hitting it out of the park with all the stuff I've seen in the last year or two, and there's a lot of GW stuff I really want to get now. :sweatdrop:

Shadin posted:

I don't know about AT previews in upcoming White Dwarf, but Shadespire is cool, good, and quick to learn and play. It's not just a good GW game, it's a fantastic skirmish game by any measure.

Glad to hear that, my brother and I are talking about each going in half on it when he gets his next check, since it's available fairly inexpensively on Amazon these days.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
We all know if AT takes off we will see everything miniaturized and limited edition hardcover campaign books and it will be compatible with only itself.

If not, we will all die with some pretty cool titan models that didn't cost $1500 each. They will make fantastic additions to the interior of my Blood Angels themed coffin.

win/win

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TTerrible posted:

This is clearly a tiny scale increase just to spite old modellers. That model has no extra detail whatsoever.

Good argument, man. There's no way to create a highly detailed, small model, especially with advances in CAD and manufacturing technologies.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Nobody is bitching, it's just that it would be nice for them to have been the same scale so people could continue to use their old models, should they want to.

That being said, the "more detail" justification that GW gave is pretty thin, given that you can get just as amazing detail on a "truescale" 6mm model as on an 8mm model.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Can we expect to see Adeptis Titanicus stuff in the July White Dwarf or likely not to show anything, price or otherwise, until the August magazine?

It's been so long since I've done any gw I'm out of the loop with how they do things these days.

Also need to start practicing painting again...how is Shadespire in terms of game quality?

Depends on when in August AT launches. The first two weeks of a month are covered in the previous month and the last 2-3 are covered in the current month.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

Good argument, man. There's no way to create a highly detailed, small model, especially with advances in CAD and manufacturing technologies.

Its just such a loving boring whinge.

Oh no GW aren't supporting this game they haven't supported for 20 years.

New titanicus doesn't have any impact on people still playing LRB Epic. None at all. Z e r o.

It hasn't taken away resources from them starting to support Epic again. They were never going to.

Invalidating models sucks but they're invalidating four models they haven't produced for decades.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TTerrible posted:

This is clearly a tiny scale increase just to spite old modellers. That model has no extra detail whatsoever.

Your quote was referencing the scale increase and not being able to support X-treem Detail!!!! at the previous 6mm scale. I didn't say anything regarding GW supporting Epic, nor did I cry about not being able to use my old models in the new game. I said it would be nice, but it's not going to happen, and I'm fine with that.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

berzerkmonkey posted:

Nobody is bitching, it's just that it would be nice for them to have been the same scale so people could continue to use their old models, should they want to.

No it wouldn't've. The benefits of having bigger, more accurately scaled models outweigh the benefits of doing weirdly small models again just so the guys with shoeboxes full of minimum twenty year old lovely metal models that they probably haven't even opened in a decade can save a few bucks. IMO.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

Your quote was referencing the scale increase and not being able to support X-treem Detail!!!! at the previous 6mm scale. I didn't say anything regarding GW supporting Epic, nor did I cry about not being able to use my old models in the new game. I said it would be nice, but it's not going to happen, and I'm fine with that.

My post was the lovely argument people have been using all over the place jfc.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
Why is everyone conveniently ignoring the fact that Epic didn’t have a consistent scale and the original picture that started the age old argument again is a perfect example of why supporting Epic would have been impossible garbage because the Epic Titan isn’t even 6mm.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Shadin posted:

Why is everyone conveniently ignoring the fact that Epic didn’t have a consistent scale and the original picture that started the age old argument again is a perfect example of why supporting Epic would have been impossible garbage because the Epic Titan isn’t even 6mm.

EVERYTHING GW DO IS BAD

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

No it wouldn't've. The benefits of having bigger, more accurately scaled models outweigh the benefits of doing weirdly small models again just so the guys with shoeboxes full of minimum twenty year old lovely metal models that they probably haven't even opened in a decade can save a few bucks. IMO.

I wasn't saying that the titans would have to be the same size - everyone knows that the models in Epic were grossly undersized and not in the proper scale. You can maintain a proper 6mm scale and have a highly detailed model though - the forumware "truescale" titans are much larger than their GW counterparts and are very well detailed. A truescale Reaver is about the size of a GW Warlord, so it's not that there wasn't a size disparity present anyway, it just didn't exist to the extreme of the AT version (and that beetleback Warlord GW had it up against was extremely small anyway...)

Personally, I was less about being able to use my old titans with AT and more about being able to sub in the new AT versions into Epic, since they were invariably going to look nicer than, say, my boxy metal Warlord.

But, again, not a big deal - I'll buy the AT box and still continue to play Epic. I'm lucky to have a large group (20+) of people that play Epic, and AT might stir up interest in the game and get us more people. If nothing else, I can play with giant robits and it won't be loving Battletech.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

TTerrible posted:

EVERYTHING GW DO IS BAD

:hai:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

:hmmyes:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I am still furious that the updated editions of 40k didn't allow me to continue using the Eldar Musician models that I had accumulated, so this latest betrayal of backward compatibility is no surprise.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

I wasn't saying that the titans would have to be the same size - everyone knows that the models in Epic were grossly undersized and not in the proper scale. You can maintain a proper 6mm scale and have a highly detailed model though - the forumware "truescale" titans are much larger than their GW counterparts and are very well detailed. A truescale Reaver is about the size of a GW Warlord, so it's not that there wasn't a size disparity present anyway, it just didn't exist to the extreme of the AT version (and that beetleback Warlord GW had it up against was extremely small anyway...)

Personally, I was less about being able to use my old titans with AT and more about being able to sub in the new AT versions into Epic, since they were invariably going to look nicer than, say, my boxy metal Warlord.

But, again, not a big deal - I'll buy the AT box and still continue to play Epic. I'm lucky to have a large group (20+) of people that play Epic, and AT might stir up interest in the game and get us more people. If nothing else, I can play with giant robits and it won't be loving Battletech.

Even if the new AT Titans were 6mm they still wouldn't fit well in Epic. Look at that Epic Titan and the new one, 6mm should be 70% the size of 8mm. A true 6mm Titan would still be way too large.

The good news is that Epic's scales were so hosed up, the new 8mm Titans might actually fit better. A 6mm Titan should actually be about 3.9 inches tall, the 8mm ones should be 5.9", which is still more believable than the hilarious bad models of yesteryear. Just roll with the fluff that pegs a Warlord at more than 100 feet and it'll actually be correct.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Shadin posted:

Even if the new AT Titans were 6mm they still wouldn't fit well in Epic. Look at that Epic Titan and the new one, 6mm should be 70% the size of 8mm. A true 6mm Titan would still be way too large.

The good news is that Epic's scales were so hosed up, the new 8mm Titans might actually fit better. A 6mm Titan should actually be about 3.9 inches tall, the 8mm ones should be 5.9", which is still more believable than the hilarious bad models of yesteryear. Just roll with the fluff that pegs a Warlord at more than 100 feet and it'll actually be correct.

It's more the footprint of the new models that would be a problem - you're looking at double the coverage for a Warlord's base, which would seriously increase the chances of being hit by a weapon using multiple templates.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

It's more the footprint of the new models that would be a problem - you're looking at double the coverage for a Warlord's base, which would seriously increase the chances of being hit by a weapon using multiple templates.

To be fair, you'd have to house rule it, which is what you'd have to do anyway to use an unrelated game's models in another game. The AT stuff would be usable in Epic, and probably fit the intended scale better, but the scale was wrong originally so you'd have to alter the game to account for the models no longer being hosed up.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
What's happening in the thr- oh.

I thought there was a statement that there are zero plans for epic now, only more HH AT, and maybe Eldar and Orcs at some point?

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

What's happening in the thr- oh.

I thought there was a statement that there are zero plans for epic now, only more HH AT, and maybe Eldar and Orcs at some point?

That's what I've been hearing. I think it's a case of them waiting to see how much this game picks up and runs before they invest more effort in the rest of it.

If they make an 8mm scale lucius/mars/whatever the gently caress that adorable blocky titan from Abnetts Hecate comic book is called, then I'll be all in, because the rules sound great, and I like warlords and warhounds (gently caress the reaver, I've always hated that bulbous thing, and it still looks like rear end to me, I'll only take one if the rules give me no choice), and knights are kind of okay. I just don't like the aesthetics of the new warlord looking like an overgrown knight. It's technically and artistically impressive, sure. I just personally dislike the knight look on a warlord :shrug:.

Sadly that'll probably never happen (and the entire thing is irrelevant anyway, as I'll probably not be able to afford the amount of robits I'd need anyway, so my involvement in the discussion is probably pretty loving moot). But if it ~did~ happen, then I'd ignore my wallet for the sake of that juicy Lucius pattern. Probably. Maybe. Assuming my wife didn't kill me first to prevent me from pushing the button on it.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
It’s a hard pass from me until they make an Imperator, then I’ll sell my remaining kidney for a crack at that thing.

I liked the rather more blocky and military looking Warlord Titan that was released alongside Epic Armageddon (I think?) but it seems that version of the Warlord look is gone forever.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 11:39 on May 16, 2018

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I wouldn't rule out Lucius pattern stuff making a return if this proves to be sufficiently popular. They said that the titan sprues were designed to be swapped out with like-for-like replacements, so they may even be able to do Lucius armour plates as an alternate sprue.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I adore the Lucius-pattern Warlord and Lucius is my Forgeworld for 40k Mechanicus, so Lucius-pattern robits would be irresistible for me.

moths posted:

No. They have repeatedly stated, most recently this past weekend, that they have no plans to introduce infantry or tanks into AT, that they have no plans to revisit Epic, and that if they do ever revisit Epic, it may borrow the AT models but it will be a completely different game system.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Sulecrist posted:

I adore the Lucius-pattern Warlord and Lucius is my Forgeworld for 40k Mechanicus, so Lucius-pattern robits would be irresistible for me.

Same. Even though there is zero chance of convincing my current 40k dudes to go in on this game I'm still teetering on the edge of getting it just for the models and if they announce Lucius variants I'll go tumbling over in a heartbeat.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

mcjomar posted:

gently caress the reaver, I've always hated that bulbous thing, and it still looks like rear end to me, I'll only take one if the rules give me no choice

My man!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ineptmule posted:

It’s a hard pass from me until they make an Imperator, then I’ll sell my remaining kidney for a crack at that thing.
Might as well take a 40K Knight at that point - it would have to be about that large.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
You’re saying that like it would be a bad thing :crossarms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
It would probably be the cheaper option...