Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I hate myself and reinstalled this terrible game. The kids are older now and wanted to play an MMO with daddy. I had the urge to reinstall anyway so that was the deal maker. Two days of grinding humans outside of Freeport and they're already bored and gone but I'm still in. Slogging one of my lowbies through the late teens. It looks like BDA has been reduced to myself and two dudes. What's a semi-active guild these days that would take lowish alts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
What monster would subject their children to this horrible game?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

what kind of ungrateful child would refuse to accept generational wisdom and kill gnolls for a hundred hours?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Frog Act posted:

what kind of ungrateful child would refuse to accept generational wisdom and kill gnollsfrogs/dogs/undead for a hundred hours?

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Inimicul posted:

I hate myself and reinstalled this terrible game. The kids are older now and wanted to play an MMO with daddy. I had the urge to reinstall anyway so that was the deal maker. Two days of grinding humans outside of Freeport and they're already bored and gone but I'm still in. Slogging one of my lowbies through the late teens. It looks like BDA has been reduced to myself and two dudes. What's a semi-active guild these days that would take lowish alts?

If you want a very low-active guild there's always Unknown Guild.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I think I'm going to get all my characters retagged as UG. BDA is down to like 3 people who are also guys who just reinstalled this week. I've got something like 20 characters though so I'll have to try and move them all to EC or something for a mass invite fest.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

just started playing this as paladin (which is what i played back in t he day) and it's scary how much you remember all the sounds and locations even after 18 years.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Inimicul posted:

I think I'm going to get all my characters retagged as UG. BDA is down to like 3 people who are also guys who just reinstalled this week. I've got something like 20 characters though so I'll have to try and move them all to EC or something for a mass invite fest.

The discord is probably your best bet for an invite if no one is on: https://discord.gg/4XrG9h5

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
Holy crap did the east commons tunnel degrade in my absence. Been trying to sell common items like FBSS, Darksea Harpoon and Granite Face Grinder under the average price for like 2 days and only got tells begging for trades. All the turbonerds are probably so rich they dont buy midrange stuff anymore. All the same people selling the same poo poo for days too, means nobody is buying jack. Just get me out of here.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Athropos posted:

Holy crap did the east commons tunnel degrade in my absence. Been trying to sell common items like FBSS, Darksea Harpoon and Granite Face Grinder under the average price for like 2 days and only got tells begging for trades. All the turbonerds are probably so rich they dont buy midrange stuff anymore. All the same people selling the same poo poo for days too, means nobody is buying jack. Just get me out of here.

i don't understand why the servers are never, ever rebooted after so many years of utterly destroyed economies

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Because that wouldn't be "classic" :v:

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Hey I found someone to buy my bone chips so it's not all bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ekeog posted:

i don't understand why the servers are never, ever rebooted after so many years of utterly destroyed economies

It takes literal eons to level a character in this game though

I would be down with an event that wipes plat but IDK that'd be kinda wonky

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

ekeog posted:

nilbog's original plan that still gets trotted out as the answer to this is that the current P99 blue/red servers will stay running until all the Velious era patches are implemented. This will then allow the real project 1999 server to happen - using the accumulated patch and bugfix knowledge from development thus far, a new server will be started up with patches released according to the live timeline rather than with years between expansions etc.

Whether this will actually happen is unknown - I'm honestly surprised that development and support has continued for as long as it has.

The 10 year anniversary of P99 is not far off, so it would be cool to do a new server in coincidence with that, but who knows...

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Groovelord Neato posted:

just started playing this as paladin (which is what i played back in t he day) and it's scary how much you remember all the sounds and locations even after 18 years.

Omg shawn we should play [am ks]

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

aparmenideanmonad posted:

nilbog's original plan that still gets trotted out as the answer to this is that the current P99 blue/red servers will stay running until all the Velious era patches are implemented. This will then allow the real project 1999 server to happen - using the accumulated patch and bugfix knowledge from development thus far, a new server will be started up with patches released according to the live timeline rather than with years between expansions etc.

Whether this will actually happen is unknown - I'm honestly surprised that development and support has continued for as long as it has.

The 10 year anniversary of P99 is not far off, so it would be cool to do a new server in coincidence with that, but who knows...

Which would be worse, keeping the server running indefinitely or the megarush that would happen on a new server????

Also, isn't there an NPC (Chronos?) that exists for many patches that drops a fuckton of money and ruins the economy on every new progression server that isn't patched out on???

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Athropos posted:

Might have better luck on the weekends in EC.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Groovelord Neato posted:

What level is your paladin? Race/class/loc? ASL?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Which would be worse, keeping the server running indefinitely or the megarush that would happen on a new server????

Also, isn't there an NPC (Chronos?) that exists for many patches that drops a fuckton of money and ruins the economy on every new progression server that isn't patched out on???
The megarush would be both glorious and terrible. There'd be 2k+ pop easy in the first month or two all crammed into the newbie zones - it would be like live EQ in 1999 again where finding your little spot of 3-4 mobs to kill on a 22min respawn timer in a weird corner somewhere would be the best you could manage. Doing the couple good quests for XP would be a huge advantage for people in the know. If you could sock hard enough to break out ahead of the crowd and be among the first hundred or so into unrest/upper guk/etc. and keep that going to 50, it would be a lot of fun. If not, then waiting a few months would probably be less rage-inducing. I can only imagine how awful dealing with all the whining and "HE STOLE MY MY MOB" petitions would be for the staff.

As far as plat issues, they've been willing to take out classic plat exploits in the past, so I assume any reboot would include these fixes. They've also nerfed loot drops off guards and other NPCs or lengthened respawn timers to tone down raw plat farming, though I could see these being put back closer to their classic values for a server with a 2-3yr timeline.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

please knock Mom! posted:

Omg shawn we should play [am ks]

i know it's you you silly goose. and yes. my guy is named fearghail.

Inimicul posted:

What level is your paladin? Race/class/loc? ASL?

3 human freeport. another thing i hadn't forgotten is how lovely the initial levels are.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Might have better luck on the weekends in EC.

I was able to sell my stuff and get out of there, I wanted to save up for a lodizal shell shield but Im realizing as a shaman its smarter to save up for endgame spells than just more stats. I already have fungi and epic so I'm set...until torpor that is.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Groovelord Neato posted:

3 human freeport. another thing i hadn't forgotten is how lovely the initial levels are.

Paladins, rangers, and SKs are all kind of raw and lovely until about 20 when they have most of their skills and the spells that actually start to matter. Other classes have bad runs of levels too (necromancer not getting a new DoT at 8 is horrendous when you are damage racing your pet for half the exp) but for the hybrids its like the first third of your character.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah i was gonna say the game didn't really get good until i was 20 and had double attack and a good number of spells (and a ghoulbane). i only ever got to level 30 back in the day but that run from 20-30 was pretty fun.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 16, 2018

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Athropos posted:

I was able to sell my stuff and get out of there, I wanted to save up for a lodizal shell shield but Im realizing as a shaman its smarter to save up for endgame spells than just more stats. I already have fungi and epic so I'm set...until torpor that is.

I'm in the same boat with my shaman too (minus epic). I can probably afford most if not all of the non-torpor spells now, but its just too drat tempting to want to make yet another alt with that money yet again

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I need to see if one of my toons has any smiffin' skill. Seems like all these new goons could start off with a complimentary suit of banded if I put in the effort.

Edit:

Kids wanted to play with me so I turned on the laptop and tethered it to my cell phone. Scumbag Win10 decided that was a good time to download 3GB of system updates. Got my 10% warning and out of monthly data (29 days left) text messages at the same time. :argh:

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 17, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Casters are boring as hell until like level 8, hybrids are boring until like 18, and melee is just boring period.

I could powerlevel you a bit

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Inimicul posted:

Kids wanted to play with me so I turned on the laptop and tethered it to my cell phone. Scumbag Win10 decided that was a good time to download 3GB of system updates. Got my 10% warning and out of monthly data (29 days left) text messages at the same time. :argh:

I am really angry about how Microsoft handles updates in win10. They seriously don't give a gently caress if you were trying to do something. Its not my computer anymore, its theirs.

I keep a shutdown batch script handy for when there's an update to install and windows takes away the normal shutdown command. gently caress you, MS.

(I never go more than a day without updating, but sometimes you have work to do NOW and can't wait for an hour of windows patching first)

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
One time I sat down to med and went downstairs to fix a snack. I came back up and saw the windows blue update screen. I can't remember exactly, but I'm fairly sure that resulted in a CR.

Mantari
May 8, 2005
:D
Lipstick Apathy
Never played EQ before but I'm in as Faldron the dwarf cleric, took a boat to freeport pretty sweet so far.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Inimicul posted:

One time I sat down to med and went downstairs to fix a snack. I came back up and saw the windows blue update screen. I can't remember exactly, but I'm fairly sure that resulted in a CR.

Best tip for win10: buy an Enterprise edition key from eBay or something. Enterprise allows you to prevent updates until you say so.

It's exactly the same as pro, but better

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Had a good go at Unrest last night with some goons. Fun stuff.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
I've enjoyed a wonderful tropical vacation on my shaman in Erud's crossing over the last few weeks off and on. Just a tropical paradise all to myself - and 8 bags of greater lightstones to turn in and lvls 9-16 to show for it.

The Qeynos area leveling is actually really nice and underappreciated I think.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mantari posted:

Never played EQ before but I'm in as Faldron the dwarf cleric, took a boat to freeport pretty sweet so far.

saw you in ec tonight just before you camped.

Mantari
May 8, 2005
:D
Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

saw you in ec tonight just before you camped.

Yeah, I found a HQ bear skin which I sold in the tunnel, some guy gave me a wraith bone hammer for free and a high level druid power level'd me a level and a half on orc camps before I had to get off.
Having a blast so far.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i feel dumb i've been vendoring my hq bear skins. sold 5 stacks of bone chips for 100pp though so i'm feeling richer than i ever did back in the day.

probably gonna buy a better sword (maybe a blackened iron bastard sword if i can get one since it's what i ran before i got ghoulbane years back). was the funniest sword because it was 2hand but was about as long as a dagger.

was thinking of also picking up a skull shaped barbute but based on the wiki they're still mad expensive (hundreds of plat when towards the end of my playing eq they were down to around 30-60).

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

i feel dumb i've been vendoring my hq bear skins. sold 5 stacks of bone chips for 100pp though so i'm feeling richer than i ever did back in the day.

probably gonna buy a better sword (maybe a blackened iron bastard sword if i can get one since it's what i ran before i got ghoulbane years back). was the funniest sword because it was 2hand but was about as long as a dagger.

was thinking of also picking up a skull shaped barbute but based on the wiki they're still mad expensive (hundreds of plat when towards the end of my playing eq they were down to around 30-60).

BIBS is great for those classic feels, but if you want a good 2hs for cheap, look for an ornate rune blade: 19/30 and can be had for 100pp ish.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

good call. i ended my eq career with bronze armor, skull shaped barbute, ghoulbane, and a shield i can't remember (i remember nothing about shields in this game) camping lake of ill omen so i'm dumb when it comes to kunark items.

edit: thanks to the goon that twinked my lil rear end up earlier.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 20, 2018

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
^^ hardly twinked, friend, but it'll help you out. If you get like 200pp I can make you hp/ac rings at material cost, they will be the biggest upgrade you can get at your level.

Just as a fyi, some asshat who had beef with Kittens (my vote is on Evergreens the loudmouth druid that got kicked for selling MQs he needrolled) deleted the guild cleric, Spasepope. We're waiting for him to be restored, and we are leveling a new one in the mean time.

Meatgrinder fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 20, 2018

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

Meatgrinder posted:

^^ hardly twinked, friend, but it'll help you out. If you get like 200pp I can make you hp/ac rings at material cost, they will be the biggest upgrade you can get at your level.

Just as a fyi, some asshat who had beef with Kittens (my vote is on Evergreens the loudmouth druid that got kicked for selling MQs he needrolled) deleted the guild cleric, Spasepope. We're waiting for him to be restored, and we are leveling a new one in the mean time.

A shame he couldn't delete the guild entire!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I hope we can do some more Unrest or other group activities again soon. Are people still in that area or should we try to get something else going instead?