Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Empress Brosephine posted:

poo poo I forgot the duke was coming out

Good luck finding one, just about everywhere is sold out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TLG is fantastic. Sorry you have terrible taste.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Last Guardian is great but I wouldn't call it a must have or a system seller.

I feel like those games have a much smaller audience than people realize.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 14, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

To me it's a must have even if it's niche. Definitely in my top 5 games this gen.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

To me it's a must have even if it's niche. Definitely in my top 5 games this gen.

That ending omg

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I have not finished it so that’s probably what I’m missing. I booted it up the other day and remembered I had the SotC remake so I jumped to that.

That’s loving art.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Starting today XBoxers can try out the first three hours of Divinity Original Sin II aka one of the greatest CRPGs ever made. It fully releases in August. Go check it out!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gold only?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Looks like it's on Game Preview for everyone, with people who pre-order the definitive edition getting early access the entire first act of the game (which is 20 hours in its own right).

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm sure the next straight-to-gamepass release State of Decay 2 will totally be the one.

:laugh:

For real though I was a big SOD1 fan and all the previews I'm reading make me wonder wtf those guys were doing for the last 5 years.

I spent a bunch of time talking to the Undead Labs people back in the day at a PAX before the original came out and what they said at the time was that they were working towards a State of Decay MMO after the first game made it out the door. I wonder if they tried for that and ended up dialing back to State of Decay 2 (which granted I haven’t looked at any of the previews on)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Maneki Neko posted:

I spent a bunch of time talking to the Undead Labs people back in the day at a PAX before the original came out and what they said at the time was that they were working towards a State of Decay MMO after the first game made it out the door. I wonder if they tried for that and ended up dialing back to State of Decay 2 (which granted I haven’t looked at any of the previews on)

Previews say its almost the exact same game with a few minor changes and a coop system that is peer 2 peer, lacks host migration, and enforces a strict proximity to host for all guest players

So in my mind they didnt so much dial an mmo back as waste 5 years making the same game over again with the worst internet functionality possible

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SOD was a lot of fun but it was a wonky, ugly budget tier game to the max. I'm not expecting any less of the sequel and I'm fine with it. It's only 30 bux and I'm sure I'll have a good time with it. It's still the only game I know of that really does what it does. I like that the Zombie apocalypse actually feels dangerous instead of just like a playground for wacky poo poo. Even if I'm super sick of zombies.

It's also something where I think Co-op might actually feel interesting and meaningful instead of just like, having another dude in your game that is already really easy and it doesn't matter.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Recore definitive edition is on gamepass with xbonx enhancements and it's way better than the initial reviews let on. It's not an easy game and some of the jumping puzzles are bullshit but i think this might be an overlooked gem.
Or it's trash and I like trash?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I loved it except for the huge difficulty spikes where the only way to get to a fast travel point back to enemies you can handle is through a bunch of ones you can only plink at like you're shooting spitwads. I never got around to finishing it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BrownieVK posted:

Recore definitive edition is on gamepass with xbonx enhancements and it's way better than the initial reviews let on. It's not an easy game and some of the jumping puzzles are bullshit but i think this might be an overlooked gem.

This is the Xbox thread, it's OK to like trash.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BrownieVK posted:

The padding and progress gating are still pretty obscene in the DE

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Monday_ posted:

I loved it except for the huge difficulty spikes where the only way to get to a fast travel point back to enemies you can handle is through a bunch of ones you can only plink at like you're shooting spitwads. I never got around to finishing it.

This enrages me so much! I wish you could upgrade your rifle too instead of the automatic leveling system. Seem like a missed opportunity for all the loot and parts scattered around.

I will admit there's been a few times where instead of having fun I go "really I have to do XYZ now?"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've decided that I want to get Red Dead Redemption 2 for Xbox One instead of PS4. Only because I like my Xbox Live screen name on more then my PSN name and Sony still doesn't allow name changes.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
SOD with co-op sounds fun but not being able to wander away from the host and do different runs/missions concurrently like the NPC's do is a major minus.

Everything I hear about the sequel makes me sad because SOD was such a solid start that just needed to shake away some jank in the controls and graphics, polish up some systems and add just a few more things to do to really break through as the base/people management zombie game everyone is looking for. I would have figured 5 years and a system upgrade would be exactly what it needed.

But this is the xbone and everything is cursed so here we are. I'll probably re-up gamepass to try it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
A friend of mine bought my original Xbox One off me and he's currently using a 2 day free trial of Xbox Live. If he grabs the Games with Gold during the trial period, will he still be able to play them after the 2 day trial is up?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WattsvilleBlues posted:

A friend of mine bought my original Xbox One off me and he's currently using a 2 day free trial of Xbox Live. If he grabs the Games with Gold during the trial period, will he still be able to play them after the 2 day trial is up?

The 360 game yeah, the others no. IDK if you can even do games with gold with a 48 hour trial though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The original xbox one's internet was discontinued early in the 360s life. Sorry friend, tell ur bro to get a new xbox one

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fishmech posted:

The 360 game yeah, the others no. IDK if you can even do games with gold with a 48 hour trial though.

I'm pretty sure those and sales aren't usable with trials; the trials just give you online game access. You do get the free games and discounts with the cheaper Gold offerings, though.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Been mega tempted to get an xboner lately so I can replay the greatest OG xbox game ever. Yup, Breakdown.

I guess I could also play through Halo 1 and 2 again with the master chief collection. And I uh, I think that's it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

When is that divinity demo? I couldnt find it

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I love how gamepass's main selling point is "subscribe to try out all the games too mediocre to buy otherwise"

It's a mediocrity subscription service

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I got a month of gamepass for 1 dollar. I played a couple games but there really isn't anything on there worth playing. Sea of Thieves should have been, but there's nothing there.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

I love how gamepass's main selling point is "subscribe to try out all the games too mediocre to buy otherwise"

It's a mediocrity subscription service

Its netflix streaming when it launched, yeah.

Whether it turns into netflix streaming now is a ???

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I find games as a service inherently way less interesting than something like Netflix. Games are just too drat long to browse for. And if I want to play a game I either am dying to play it right away and just dump $60 on it (lets face it these games aren't going to ever be hitting games services day one on the reg) or I just go buy them for dirt cheap way down the line, and paying $10 a month to play some $5 game isn't that exciting.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Yeah thats why i prefer just piling up games from games with gold for what works out to about $4 a month instead, and that gets you 4 games each!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Barudak posted:

Its netflix streaming when it launched, yeah.

Whether it turns into netflix streaming now is a ???

Probably not. It looks like they want game pass to be a small selection of games that come and go. A bunch of games are being removed at the end of the month and I can't find anything that says what replaces them. So it's not like you can just wait a few months and then plonk down 10 dollars to play a bunch of games you've been waiting for, because some of them will have been removed by then.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I mean who is game pass even for? A majority the games on it can be found dirt cheap else where. The casuals would never pay monthly for downloaded games they don't own and the crowd of gamers with any knowledge would never sub to the thing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The prospect would have been a lot more interesting a decade ago where you could go large stretches where nothing was coming out and I'd find myself digging for stuff to play. Nowadays the amount of games being released is loving insane and I can't even come close to playing all of the stuff I'm actually interested in. Poking around a menu to find some poo poo that was totally off my radar to play it has no appeal whatsoever. I'm sure there is some niche it fills, but gently caress if I know what it is.

it's one of those things that just sounds cool on paper and then you get it and it's just kind of worthless. I tried PSnow and game pass both for the free month and don't think I put a combined hour into both of them. I forgot to cancel game pass and payed for 3 months of it though :downs:

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The thing is there isn't really any under the radar games unless you're oblivious/don't pay attention. The Timeshifts and Singularities of the 360 days would be a perfect sell. Now every game gets hyped for months and the PC versions are no brainers most of the time. Plus most of the time it's easy to spot games that aren't worth the time like any Homefromt game, No Man's Sky, or Sea of Theives.

Steam doing digital rentals would be amazing due to the volume of games, but these consoles aren't there yet.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RBX posted:

I mean who is game pass even for? A majority the games on it can be found dirt cheap else where. The casuals would never pay monthly for downloaded games they don't own and the crowd of gamers with any knowledge would never sub to the thing.

People who wont buy ms' new games

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Probably not. It looks like they want game pass to be a small selection of games that come and go. A bunch of games are being removed at the end of the month and I can't find anything that says what replaces them. So it's not like you can just wait a few months and then plonk down 10 dollars to play a bunch of games you've been waiting for, because some of them will have been removed by then.

They tend to be on the service for about a year, i think the MGS games were an exception. Its super weird they reveal whats leaving long before they say whats new each month because thats like the stupidest way to handle service PR but Im not microsoft.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
I like game pass... It's only $10 a month and I've found plenty of stuff to play. Lots of fun older games with local coop/multiplayer for my imaginary friends to come over and play. I will admit there are way too many games coming out constantly and it's really hard to focus on one thing or another. It's like digital sale induced ADHD or something.

Also I take back my recommendation for recore. When a game feels like a chore that's when you lost me. It's really stupid being gated out of the main story forcing you to do extra backtracking to proceed. I like BOTW's approach where you can just do whatever the hell you want.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
They should have kept Indie Games and Xbox Arcade and just let game pass let you play all those games.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It's weirding me out Microsoft wanted to counteract the loss of 21 titles next month by putting all their exclusives on Game pass day one.

So a wet fart to make you forget the catalogue slimmed down 10%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

DariusLikewise posted:

They should have kept Indie Games and Xbox Arcade and just let game pass let you play all those games.

But that would require deals with indie devs.