Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

Which month? Big difference between landing Feb 1915 and landing Dec 1915.

13th KRRC War Diary, 29th July 1915 posted:

Advanced party with all animals & transport, 108 strong, under Major Johns left camp at 1.30 a.m.
The party landed at HAVRE on morning of 29th at 7 a.m.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Milo and POTUS posted:

How did ww2 radar work? I mean display wise? The only impression I get of radar display is movies and lol if you think I'd trust that. I mean they had it on all kinds of poo poo including fighters and airships by wars end but I have no clue what it actually would look like. Especially ships though; ie destroyers as radar pickets especially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJwrmTgbkkk

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 14th May 1918 posted:

The day passed quietly.
Baths were allotted at SOUASTRE where Companies from the line marched to and received clean changes.

Casualties - in the last 5 months (November - April) there were the following casualties -
Killed : 38
Wounded : 179
Missing : 15
Gassed : 5

Total : 237

There's been one defensive battle and a trench raid of note during this time. So not a lot, but they've still taken nearly 25% casualties.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Epicurius posted:

it's more bathos than pathos, but here's an Austrian WWI postcard about an wounded cavalry soldier and his horse.

this is actually A Thing
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/patrick-saunders-granted-dying-wish-to-feed-a-horse-one-last-time_uk_59b25b31e4b0354e4410eb1c

and that wasn't even that dying guy's horse, just a horse

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm surprised at both how rough the original dots and lines looked and at how much detail they describe the mechanics of how the readout screen itself functions. I wouldn't expect modern military men to be fully schooled in how their monitors work.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Insnaely cool but not as cool as the one about blowing up trains

nsa Disclaimer: i do not blow up trains

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

zoux posted:

I didn't know that there were Vermont nationalists but I'm not surprised in the least.

Hawaii, California, Virginia all make sense, but can you imagine like a North Dakota or Wyoming history class. First, there were Indians. Then Republicans.

The natural history of ND or Wyoming could make a pretty neat course, though—Hell Creek as the headliner.

Jack2142 posted:

Washington here, we had a state history class my freshman year of Highschool. It covered a bit about the native tribes, through the explorers to settlement. I don't think we got past the early 1900's.

I'm curious: Did your schooling cover the Internment at all (and approximately what year was this)? I would expect Washington to be one of the best states for coverage given its particular history. My public schooling (mostly in Texas) touched on it for perhaps a paragraph of one textbook, and I learned about it mostly through family who were in Minidoka.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

zoux posted:

Maybe you should've started a war with Mexico over them outlawing slavery your freedoms.

Incidentally we do not learn that the Texicans rebelled against Mexico because they were going to outlaw slavery, nor that we are the only state to secede from two different countries because slaves.

Slavery's importance in the Texan Revolution shouldn't be understated, but come on. Half of Mexico didn't up and revolt for a decade because they were upset about Anglos losing their slaves.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

dublish posted:

Slavery's importance in the Texan Revolution shouldn't be understated, but come on. Half of Mexico didn't up and revolt for a decade because they were upset about Anglos losing their slaves.

There's probably written accounts that speak to commonly held grievances of the time. For instance, references to the military governor reportedly fomenting slave revolts and references to immigration (of slaveholders, with their slaves) being curtailed. Just like the confederacy, the Texans did the convention thing and wrote up multiple declarations as early as the late 1820s even.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

dublish posted:

Half of Mexico? It was immigrants from the US, who came there in order to take advantage of Mexico's generous settlement policies then turned their back on it.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
My 8 year-old son the other day was working on a fantasy game in a board game club at his school, and he decided his weapon was going to be a "spiked ball on a chain."

This is something I know from D&D, though Wikipedia says a morningstar is mounted on a shaft rather than chain. Was the chain thing ever a real weapon? Or is it just a Gygaxian fever dream?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pthighs posted:

My 8 year-old son the other day was working on a fantasy game in a board game club at his school, and he decided his weapon was going to be a "spiked ball on a chain."

This is something I know from D&D, though Wikipedia says a morningstar is mounted on a shaft rather than chain. Was the chain thing ever a real weapon? Or is it just a Gygaxian fever dream?

It’s a type of flail.

The spiked ball kind is rare.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

pthighs posted:

Its real enough to be prohibited in Canada.

prohibited weapons canada posted:

14 The device commonly known as a “Morning Star” and any similar device consisting of a ball of metal or other heavy material, studded with spikes and connected to a handle by a length of chain, rope or other flexible material.

Also extremely hard to be a ninja as a large variety of ninja martial arts equipment is illegal.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I assume the anti-nunchaku panic of the 80s and 90s was because of concealability right? Because baseball bats seem a far more capable weapon and yet they're not illegal. Hell, I'd take a golf club before nunchakus any day

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Milo and POTUS posted:

I assume the anti-nunchaku panic of the 80s and 90s was because of concealability right? Because baseball bats seem a far more capable weapon and yet they're not illegal. Hell, I'd take a golf club before nunchakus any day

It's because Michelangelo was a party dude and that was just unacceptable.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
In all seriousness I think it was related to anti-Judas Priest records played backwards and anti-D&D hysteria.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the cool spiked ball with chain kind of flail didn't really exist historically, it got made up by 16th century artists because its :krad:.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The key thing about middle school level history is that it's at least as much about mythmaking as it is about cluing you into what you should know about the world.
So they'll downplay the whole business about slavery and emphasize things like the Mexican government forcing Catholicism on them.

A lot like how Thomas Jefferson has had so much rewriting that the image of him as a revered founding father is basically a totally different person from the actual man.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tunicate posted:

the cool spiked ball with chain kind of flail didn't really exist historically, it got made up by 16th century artists because its :krad:.

Flails existed, but the chain was short. Much shorter than the handle.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Sometimes there's not even a chain, and the parts are just linked directly:

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
The flail is an adapted agricultural tool like the military scythe and billhook. At some point a bunch of peasants got together and realized that the tool they used for beating the poo poo out of grain would be good for beating the poo poo out of tax collectors.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Most tools make pretty capable weapons

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
we criminalise flails over baseball bats because there’s a legitimate use eg playing baseball. to contrast, in the UK you’ll get done for carrying an offensive weapon for a baseball bat but might get away with a cricket one.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
the principal of a tool is you use sticks and hinges to build up a ton of mechanical advantage, which applies to braining another dude

thinking about it, a sword is sorta different, because it gives a mechanical disadvantage: the tip is light, far from the fulcrum, and moves very fast

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

CoolCab posted:

to contrast, in the UK you’ll get done for carrying an offensive weapon for a baseball bat but might get away with a cricket one.

It depends. The English law looks pretty kindly on the use of defensive batting when justified. Using a block stroke, or a front foot leg glance should be fine. But use of a square drive will probably be treated as excessive force.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Mr Enderby posted:

It depends. The English law looks pretty kindly on the use of defensive batting when justified. Using a block stroke, or a front foot leg glance should be fine. But use of a square drive will probably be treated as excessive force.

Like everything else in cricket, I'm familiar with all of those words, but not in that order.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Milo and POTUS posted:

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-2nd-circuit/1129426.html

is probably relevant. Not going to say I agree with the case but the argument is that nunchaku are essentially only a weapon whereas those other tools have a secondary purpose.

Personally though I feel like the bigger issue with nunchaku is people accidentally hurting themselves with it.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

HEY GUNS posted:

Half of Mexico? It was immigrants from the US, who came there in order to take advantage of Mexico's generous settlement policies then turned their back on it.

Slavery played a major role in causing the Texan Revolution, but it wasn't the only cause. Remember, Texas wasn't the only state that revolted when Santa Anna suspended the Constitution and abolished state governments...it was just the only place where the rebellion succeeded. Zacatecas also declared independence at the same time, and, just after Texas got independence, Yucatan also declared independence, and so did the states that made up the Republic of the Rio Grande.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Mr Enderby posted:

:allears:

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Fangz posted:

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-2nd-circuit/1129426.html

is probably relevant. Not going to say I agree with the case but the argument is that nunchaku are essentially only a weapon whereas those other tools have a secondary purpose.

Personally though I feel like the bigger issue with nunchaku is people accidentally hurting themselves with it.

Nunchaku are basically threshing flails though, it's like banning scythes.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't know how much you expect the average American to thresh........

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

MANime in the sheets posted:

Like everything else in cricket, I'm familiar with all of those words, but not in that order.

If an assailant comes at you from the short square leg position then a pull would generally deemed acceptable, a hook to the head less so. As for being attacked from silly point common law dictates an off-drive. In either case striking amidships is strongly frowned upon.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I feel like a war over cricket would be something directly connected to the India-Pakistan Wagah border closing ceremony.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

MikeCrotch posted:

If an assailant comes at you from the short square leg position then a pull would generally deemed acceptable, a hook to the head less so. As for being attacked from silly point common law dictates an off-drive. In either case striking amidships is strongly frowned upon.

I'm sorry, I haven't a clue what you're saying.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FAUXTON posted:

I feel like a war over cricket would be something directly connected to the India-Pakistan Wagah border closing ceremony.

Wars over football, on the other hand, are more of a Latin-American thing.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

The Lone Badger posted:

Friend of my dad's had an extremely rusty iron mace of this kind laying around. He said he wasn't sure but that he had heard it was used by cops at some point to frighten lawbreakers.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fangz posted:

I don't know how much you expect the average American to thresh........

Probably about the same as I'd expect them to need scythes for anything but a sweet halloween costume?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

do yanks not use scythes for rough gardening or allotment work? even my massively middle-class parents own a hand-scythe for dealing with large clumps of weeds or what have you

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No we use immigrant labor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Williamsburg hipster hand threshing grain and selling it in recycled mason jars for $15