Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Love the extreme dissonance between everything else on that cover and "THE SECRET FILES OF ABU GHRAIB"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The odd thing is the people producing and promoting the mindless drivel that gets tagged to young people are generally 2 generations older. Like it was old as gently caress Ed Sullivan who introduced the Beatles and it was a creepy Boomer who got his rocks off selling boy bands in the 80’s and 90’s.

TV in 2030 is going to be straight up rear end eating all the time. loving millennials.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Krispy Wafer posted:

The odd thing is the people producing and promoting the mindless drivel that gets tagged to young people are generally 2 generations older. Like it was old as gently caress Ed Sullivan who introduced the Beatles and it was a creepy Boomer who got his rocks off selling boy bands in the 80’s and 90’s.

TV in 2030 is going to be straight up rear end eating all the time. loving millennials.

Will there be some backstory on why the rear end is being eaten? Or is it just 23 minutes of salad tossing with a few commerical breaks?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Zil posted:

Will there be some backstory on why the rear end is being eaten? Or is it just 23 minutes of salad tossing with a few commerical breaks?

And the commercials will be for Hepatitis vaccines.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lighting things on fire, driving drunk, and waking up in a stranger's bed on a weeknight are all rights of passage for each decade of your life. This hasn't changed through all of human history. Especially the driving drunk thing.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Old people have been dipshit bitchy-bitches about the next generation since the dawn of humanity.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

-Attributed to SOCRATES by Plato, according to William L. Patty and Louise S. Johnson, Personality and Adjustment, p. 277 (1953).

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Samuringa posted:

There were several countdowns to young actress turning 18, Emma Watson, Chloe Moretz, Dakota Fanning, pretty much every single Disney Idol

The Internet was never not creepy

The Sun 'news'paper in the UK (owned by Murdoch, of course) had a count-down for when the Olson twins turned 16, which is the age of consent in the UK.
Google 'daily mail all grown up' if you want to end up on a watchlist, since you'll have thousands of hits of pictures of children wearing swimsuits and in sexualised poses.

I just assume that anyone that deliberately consumes right wing media is a paedophile. I'm usually correct.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Old people have been dipshit bitchy-bitches about the next generation since the dawn of humanity.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

-Attributed to SOCRATES by Plato, according to William L. Patty and Louise S. Johnson, Personality and Adjustment, p. 277 (1953).

counterpoint:

"Every generation blames the one before." Mike and the Mechanics.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I worked in a theater when The Parent Trap remake came out and I remember some of my coworkers talking about how hot Lindsay Lohan was while I made a very :stonk: face

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

-Samuel Ward, Woe to Drunkards, 1627.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Lighting things on fire, driving drunk, and waking up in a stranger's bed on a weeknight are all rights of passage for each decade of your life. This hasn't changed through all of human history. Especially the driving drunk thing.

In none of my decades have I ever driven drunk.

I'd pass out in a strangers bed rather than drive dunk.

BrigadierSensible posted:

counterpoint:

Certainly always blamed the prior generations for buying the dull aor old person mediocrity that was the music of Mike and the Mechanics and taking up valuable radio space.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

i don't mean to single you out but this particular example's a pet peeve of mine because socrates most likely never actually said this: it was probably falsely attributed to him to make him look insightful and borderline prophetic in his powers of observation because athens did in fact enter into a period of social decline where it was no longer as productive or as prominent as it was in its classic golden age especially compared to its rival neighbors who were on the rise not long after socrates' life and would later essentially subsume it - having socrates make observation of the decline's very roots taking shape was intended to make him look like a boss so if anything this particular bit of apocrypha implies that olds are often right about youngs not being up to snuff

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cavenagh posted:

In none of my decades have I ever driven drunk.

I'd pass out in a strangers bed rather than drive dunk.

Pffft, check out this square that doesn't drive better after a few. :rolleyes:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hard counter posted:

i don't mean to single you out but this particular example's a pet peeve of mine because socrates most likely never actually said this: it was probably falsely attributed to him to make him look insightful and borderline prophetic in his powers of observation because athens did in fact enter into a period of social decline where it was no longer as productive or as prominent as it was in its classic golden age especially compared to its rival neighbors who were on the rise not long after socrates' life and would later essentially subsume it - having socrates make observation of the decline's very roots taking shape was intended to make him look like a boss so if anything this particular bit of apocrypha implies that olds are often right about youngs not being up to snuff

socrates didn't exist bro

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Alaois posted:

Don't get funny about what form he appeared it, it's not perfect but it's all we got

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alaois posted:

Most of Plato's Socrates was just a mouth into which Plato put this own words as a heuristic, but that doesn't mean there wasn't a historical Socrates

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
rewatching parks and rec and it's fun seeing Louis CK and Aziz Ansari interact

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gatekeeper posted:

rewatching parks and rec and it's fun seeing Louis CK and Aziz Ansari interact

Are they having a creep-off?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Watching 30 Rock it's weird to see a Harvey Weinstein casting couch joke.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Weird or prescient?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Full disclosure, I just learned the word "prescient" today and wanted to use it in a sentence. Its a very good word.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

oldpainless posted:

Full disclosure, I just learned the word "prescient" today and wanted to use it in a sentence. Its a very good word.

More like oldvocabuless

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Watching 30 Rock it's weird to see a Harvey Weinstein casting couch joke.

much like the bill cosby jokes, 30 rock made light of open industry secrets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnXQUc4-aBI&t=88s

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 06:18 on May 16, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Iron Crowned posted:

I worked in a theater when The Parent Trap remake came out and I remember some of my coworkers talking about how hot Lindsay Lohan was while I made a very :stonk: face

To save everyone else the trouble of looking it up: She was 12 when that move came out. :stare:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

hard counter posted:

i don't mean to single you out but this particular example's a pet peeve of mine because socrates most likely never actually said this:

Yeah.

What is true, however, is that people complaining about kids these days and how everything used to be better is nothing new, and there are in fact a number of pretty old texts featuring such complaints. Just not by anyone as important or famous as Socrates.

For instance some of the best clues we have to how classical Latin was pronounced are from surviving educational texts from the later part of the period, which complain about common spelling mistakes driven by the different ways those stupid young people were mangling the language.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Gorilla Salad posted:

I personally think Whale Wars is the greatest television ever made.

Just not for the reasons they intended.

Never before in history has there been a bigger shipwreck not involving any of the literal ships which got literally wrecked on that show.

When a show gets you to cheer for whalers you know they are either doing something very right or very wrong. Sea Shepherd did so much illegal stuff that was caught on camera it was disgusting.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Getting their dumb speedboat cut in half will always be Comedy Gold.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Volcott posted:

Getting their dumb speedboat cut in half will always be Comedy Gold.

I was a big fan of the guy carrying a bow and arrow in his boat to shoot at the whalers I guess? Not sure what exactly he was hoping to accomplish. And then I think the same guy illegally boarded one of the whaling ships and they whined and complained to media outlets when he was detained. Oh and the time they rammed another boat and talked about how it was all the whalers fault.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BrigadierSensible posted:

counterpoint:

I knew the meme went back as far as Socrates, but I didn't know it went all the way back to Genesis.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

hard counter posted:

i don't mean to single you out but this particular example's a pet peeve of mine because socrates most likely never actually said this

Unless I'm confusing it with a similar misattributed quote then I'm pretty sure that particular "Socrates" quote is no older than the early 20th century.

edit: Yep, 1907

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Mr.Tophat posted:

Don't get funny about what form he appeared it, it's not perfect but it's all we got

We can only ever really see the imperfect reflections of the true reality if you think about it. Its kind of like how shadows resemble the things that make them you know. Man I cant explain it. I wish someone better with words made some sort of allegory about this.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Sweevo posted:

Unless I'm confusing it with a similar misattributed quote then I'm pretty sure that particular "Socrates" quote is no older than the early 20th century.

edit: Yep, 1907

Yeah that particular quote is a modern, misattributed quote but the fact that literally every generation has complained that the younger generation is whiny, selfish, poorly-behaved and entitled remains true.

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-- Abraham Lincoln

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Mr.Tophat posted:

:lol:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

We can only ever really see the imperfect reflections of the true reality if you think about it. Its kind of like how shadows resemble the things that make them you know. Man I cant explain it. I wish someone better with words made some sort of allegory about this.

Need a light?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Quote-Unquote posted:

Yeah that particular quote is a modern, misattributed quote but the fact that literally every generation has complained that the younger generation is whiny, selfish, poorly-behaved and entitled remains true.

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-- Abraham Lincoln

fair enough but in particular the specific intent that quote was probably misattributed to socrates for was to put the prediction of athen's decline into his mouth knowing in advance how history turned out, so it's a bit more like inventing a fake albert einstein quote where he complains about how terribly all these 1910s german kids are acting, behaving like little tyrants and all, and that surely such awful behavior may one day lead to ruin ... maybe not the greatest example of old men just being habitual complainers without real cause

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

People do that all the time but usually he's a little kid showing all those Atheists how stupid they are.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Totally historical.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

fruit on the bottom posted:

Totally historical.

I'd totally believe she inspired Albert Einstain.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'm surprised no one has ever done one of those for Albert Brooks. His name actually is Albert Einstein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

One day Albert Einstein was walking through the streets of Zurich thinking about science and math and other smart things, when he came across a United States Marine who was adorably playing with a young child, the Marine noticed the physicist and shouts: "Hey! You're Albert Einstein!"

"E=MC squared" Einstein exclaimed, his beloved catchphrase. "But what are you doing here?"

"Just keeping our country safe. sir." The marine replied. "This kid wanted to play with me and I just couldn't resist" A sheepish grin crossed his face.

Einstein thanked the man for his service then began explaining to him what he had been working on, his world-famous special theory of relativity- when the child piped up.

"You're wrong sir."

"Excuse me?" Einstein replied, shocked and bewildered at the innocent wisdom of a child.

"You said that everything in the world is relative" the child continued, "but I think you forgot something. His name is God and his power and love for us are absolute."

"i'm sorry child, but I don't think you realize: I am a Jew." Einstein said, dazed.

"I don't think you realized that Jesus died on the cross for our sins. John 3:16." The child says.

Einstein realizes the child is right, renounces his Judaism and is baptized by the Marine immediately.

That child's name? Albert Einstein. Together they solve mysteries while preaching the word of Christ. And if you want to pick up the pilot I suggest you move fast because I already have inquires from Fusion, Velocity, and Sony Crackle.