Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

kidkissinger posted:

Just finished up LMoP and realized that two thirds of the named magic items in the adventure we're useless for my players.

Should I be modifying these?

Never give the party a magic item they can't use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Subjunctive posted:

You mean that casters can’t use spells?
Nah they mean a wand of elemental fireballs can't be used by a wizard because their respective magical mojos create an interference pattern.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Splicer posted:

Nah they mean a wand of elemental fireballs can't be used by a wizard because their respective magical mojos create an interference pattern.

Oh, I wasn’t sure what it meant for spells to be tools. That makes sense!

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Noxin of Shame posted:

Tome of Foes trip report: Our DM in my home game busted out a Nightwalker...

Its main attack was (iirc) a con 21 save to avoid ~50 damage, and if hit another con save to resist losing those hit points from your max HP permanently....

Of all the things from previous editions to resurrect, they brought back permanent ability drain? Ouch.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Of all the things from previous editions to resurrect, they brought back permanent ability drain? Ouch.

It's not having your Con drained as that is hard to keep track of. Draining max hp works better for energy drain monsters. (Though for most of them it goes away after a long rest.)

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I don't think the problem is the difficulty in notekeeping, champ

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

The party tank and mage: make an increasingly long plan to have the door open by leaving the rouge (me) behind

Me, the rouge, also an intellectual archeologist: kiss my lucky crowbar, wedge it in the door, walk down the patch like it was nothing.

also noticing the yellow mold infected corpse before the fighter kicked it was a p. pro move from my kitty rogue.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Permanently draining stuff is cool and I kinda resent the "back to full like nothing" nature of 5e characters by default. That said, 50 max hp at a time is too much!!

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Firstborn posted:

E: Strahd is excellent. There's a lot of help in running it online. I've found huge forum topics, reddit posts, website columns, etc. about cool ideas to put in the game and ways to steer it, and almost everything I've seen has been universally good. I'm playing in a Strahd game right now, but we are very near the beginning. The tone can be kind of gloomy, but if your players don't mind this can be a lot of fun. You also get to play a villain that pops up and torments the PCs. It's pretty fun for the DM, too, I'd think.

Been reading material online about it and it sounds like it's known for being extremely difficult. That can be a good thing for matching the horror setting but I don't think my players are going to appreciate player death any time soon. On top of that I only have 3 players where it sounds like its balanced for 4. Should I just multiply monster HP and damage rolls by .75 and fudge where I have to or was this a bad pick for a first campaign for players who probably looking for a more even balance between strategy and goofing off? Are any of the other published campaigns good for new players and goofery? (two players tried LMoP a couple years ago so don't want to do that again).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Permanently draining stuff is cool and I kinda resent the "back to full like nothing" nature of 5e characters by default. That said, 50 max hp at a time is too much!!

I don't think it is 50 at a time. It's just how much damage he does to you.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I don't think the problem is the difficulty in notekeeping, champ

I think it is. Have ability scores drained is hard to keep track off.

Max HP drain is much easier system. It's still dangerous and you don't want it to happen to you, but it's a simple and easy to use debuff. Only the biggest and scariest monsters can drain you indefinitely anyway. (As magic can be used to restore it.)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The "difficulty" is that it's a dumb, bullshit death spiral.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Permanent drain is super dumb as a regular feature in a campaign.

But it can be a fun GM tool for a high level party to do a Muppet Babies episode.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

As part of a one-shot or very limited campaign, it's pretty cool. But if you assume the default mode of play expects characters to survive more than a few sessions, it's absolute madness. Anything that spans more than one or two levels should never have any permanent drain. Otherwise, the designer/GM is saying that every longstanding adventurer is a scared POS that is barely better than fresh level one character. What's the point of gauging power using levels if a level 10 character can be permanently drained to the power of a level 6 character?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

golden bubble posted:

As part of a one-shot or very limited campaign, it's pretty cool. But if you assume the default mode of play expects characters to survive more than a few sessions, it's absolute madness. Anything that spans more than one or two levels should never have any permanent drain. Otherwise, the designer/GM is saying that every longstanding adventurer is a scared POS that is barely better than fresh level one character. What's the point of gauging power using levels if a level 10 character can be permanently drained to the power of a level 6 character?
To make that level 10 character scared to go in the really scary place instead of rightly feeling invincible like they are by default in 5e. The HP drain doesn't have to be particularly significant to be an effective deterrent. They still aren't the power of level 6 characters because they have access to higher level spells which make them roughly still unkillable gods, generally, so it's good to have ways to hurt them even if your monsters don't literally TPK them. As written, TPK is the only way to actually permanently negatively affect a level 10 party short of disintegration(or other things that leave you without a recoverable corpse), or not having enough money for raise dead.

I'm down for introducing new characters and letting old ones die if they gently caress up though. PCs gotta make good decisions to survive. :shrug: The gloves should be fully off by level 5 imo.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 16, 2018

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

To make that level 10 character scared to go in the really scary place instead of rightly feeling invincible like they are by default in 5e. The HP drain doesn't have to be particularly significant to be an effective deterrent. They still aren't the power of level 6 characters because they have access to higher level spells which make them roughly still unkillable gods, generally, so it's good to have ways to hurt them even if your monsters don't literally TPK them. As written, TPK is the only way to actually permanently negatively affect a level 10 party short of disintegration(or other things that leave you without a recoverable corpse), or not having enough money for raise dead.

I'm down for introducing new characters and letting old ones die if they gently caress up though. PCs gotta make good decisions to survive. :shrug: The gloves should be fully off by level 5 imo.
I actually hadn't realized that they made Disintegrate at another level of death in 5e. In 3.P, Resurrection was enough to bring back someone who was disintegrated. True Resurrection still works, but I'd expect that in most settings it's going to be difficult (if not impossible) to find a 17th level cleric/druid or an appropriate scroll.

The revolving door nature of death is one of the things I don't like about D&D, and one of the reasons I'm interested in SotDL. I'm definitely attached to my characters and don't want them to die, but death as an inconvenience rather than an existential threat feels kind of silly. It ends up more of a gold sink than a real problem in a lot of circumstances.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah it's definitely part of what draws me to SotDL. I don't want my players to die every session but I want them to fear death during most of them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dragonatrix posted:

The "difficulty" is that it's a dumb, bullshit death spiral.

Relentless posted:

Permanent drain is super dumb as a regular feature in a campaign.

But it can be a fun GM tool for a high level party to do a Muppet Babies episode.

golden bubble posted:

5e Life Drain is not permanent from what i know. I can't think of any monsters were the Life Drain does not go away at the end of a long rest. It's a temporary debuff that reduces your max hp.

I just managed to look at a preview of the Nightwalker and even it's life drain only lasts until a long rest.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yeah it's definitely part of what draws me to SotDL. I don't want my players to die every session but I want them to fear death during most of them.
I like when a game has a degree of long term consequences between "you're fine" and "dead". Unfortunately the only game I've played that did so in a fun way is WFRP3

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

"You're dead" would be a pretty good one that's very rare in 5e after level 5 - it mostly only has "you and all your friends are dead".

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

MonsterEnvy posted:

5e Life Drain is not permanent from what i know. I can't think of any monsters were the Life Drain does not go away at the end of a long rest. It's a temporary debuff that reduces your max hp.

I just managed to look at a preview of the Nightwalker and even it's life drain only lasts until a long rest.

Noxin of Shame posted:

It was a rad as gently caress looking 25 foot tall slenderman which flew around Magneto style. Its main attack was (iirc) a con 21 save to avoid ~50 damage, and if hit another con save to resist losing those hit points from your max HP permanently. Oh, and if you are reduced to 0 hit points by any of the Nightwalkers attacks, you ded. Like disintegrate dead. I was reduced to 2.

There was a special bit about that.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
Yeah, also prefaced by an "If I remember correctly". As none of us over the two or three rounds we had managed to fail to that condition, the finer points were not raised. It's quite possible that in this case 'permanent' meant 'lol you can't heal'. I was thinking about it like a curse, where you'd need to get a greater restoration rather than a long rest, but whatever. I concede that I could have chosen my words better.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Eggnogium posted:

Been reading material online about it and it sounds like it's known for being extremely difficult. That can be a good thing for matching the horror setting but I don't think my players are going to appreciate player death any time soon. On top of that I only have 3 players where it sounds like its balanced for 4. Should I just multiply monster HP and damage rolls by .75 and fudge where I have to or was this a bad pick for a first campaign for players who probably looking for a more even balance between strategy and goofing off? Are any of the other published campaigns good for new players and goofery? (two players tried LMoP a couple years ago so don't want to do that again).

Well, I mean, it's as hard as you make it. Just give the players a level bump or something. There's no reason to scale the entire adventure and try to keep track of reducing all stats by 25% or whatever. This is not a bad campaign for goofing off... it's a sandbox, and moments of levity are fine as long as you play the themes up elsewhere. Nearly every published module right now starts at level 1, so that's not really an issue anywhere, just pick what you think looks fun. Go check out "Dice, Camera Action" - Chris Perkins who was the lead designer on CoS DMs it. Be warned it's more a commercial than a game, as they go through all modules WOTC has put out thus far - and the ending is a huge letdown. Still, even in Perkins' game, there were jokes and goofiness because this is D&D. Go nuts. The original Ravenloft campaign was super emo and still had silly names on the tombstones and stuff.

Also I've been reading the Deep Carbon Observatory and it looks pretty drat interesting. Check that out. There is a dreariness to the way things are written that really set the mood. Patrick Stuart is a pretty crazy guy.

It's also fairly trivial to adapt other modules to 5E. Everything is nice and round, and once you realize how all the moving pieces work, you could probably stat a monster off the cuff or dynamically as drama allows. There's a real cool WHF module where Tzeentch (I believe, it could've been Slaanesh) is coming back and there's some city intrigue and stuff that ends in an outright armageddon scenario that is a little less sterile than what might otherwise be presented as a "rocks fall" ending for the party. Reading it gives me Eclipse vibes from Berserk. I also looked at Murder in Baldur's Gate for an interesting urban campaign. There's some interesting adventures written for LotFP. I read a cool Call of Cthulu adventure that culminated in a proper dungeon after some cultist scares. Paizo writes great campaigns, too - try Kingmaker from Pathfinder. I have fond memories of that one.

E: There are a town of one-shot style adventures that can lead to bigger things. If you are just looking for an intro adventure or something to get your PCs to like Level 3 before your game kicks off, I am once again recommending Wolves of Welton or A Wild Sheep's Chase. I've DM'd both and they were a blast. The way it is written is to be played, which is kind of an interesting distinction from the layout critiques I have for the other published modules. The way most WOTC adventures are written are like: 2 pages of backstory for a temple the PCs probably won't go to, and there's no NPCs around to relate this anecdotal history. 2 lines of a description for a major city with hundreds of people. Refer to chapter 5 (no page number) for what, chronologically should be on page 10 right after the synopsis.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 17, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Relentless posted:

There was a special bit about that.

From looking at it in my preview I can't see all the wording for it's abilities. But it's basic Life Drain is temporary. But maybe one of the abilities I fully see does provide indefinite life drain. Which I am fine with, as the Night Walker is a Challenge 20 beast. That people would probably not be facing until they are at the level to have access to Greater Restoration. I am fine with permanent effects on high level monsters.

Anyway another preview. Namely Ogre Variants. http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2018/05/dd-the-monsters-of-mordenkainens-tome-of-foes.html

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Firstborn posted:

The way most WOTC adventures are written are like: 2 pages of backstory for a temple the PCs probably won't go to, and there's no NPCs around to relate this anecdotal history. 2 lines of a description for a major city with hundreds of people. Refer to chapter 5 (no page number) for what, chronologically should be on page 10 right after the synopsis.

I feel this symptom has at least started going away on the recent adventures. From what I recall it's only really a problem with Princes of the Apocalypse.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Where's that monster envy goalposts gif

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I feel this symptom has at least started going away on the recent adventures. From what I recall it's only really a problem with Princes of the Apocalypse.

Man I came in here to say how your bugbears were good and better designed than the wotc official monsters.

Why do you do this :smith:

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

"Reach ft."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

Man I came in here to say how your bugbears were good and better designed than the wotc official monsters.

Why do you do this :smith:

What wrong with the comment. I feel the early adventures had more of a problem with the layout. Particularly Princes of the Apocalypse. I know it's still a bit of a problem in Storm King, but not nearly to the same degree. And I have had no real issues on that front in Curse of Strahd or Tomb of Annihilation.

Edit:Thanks for complementing my Bugbears however. I just based them off this sidebar in volo's and gave them abilities that made sense with it.

BUGBEAR SPECIAL FORCES posted:

Under any circumstances, bugbears are valued members of a goblinoid host. If some of them are specialized (or can be trained) in different aspects of warfare, their value increases, especially when they work in concert.

Thugs. Bugbears that serve as thugs have more of Hruggek than Grankhul in them. They leap in among massed foes and make wide, whirling swings with their weapons to create openings in enemy formations.

Bulwarks. The wild attack of a group of thugs is often followed by the charge of one or more bulwarks. A bugbear bulwark carries a spiked shield into battle that it uses like a plow, bashing aside whatever it encounters.

Murderers. Bugbears that are gifted in stealth are sent out to kill enemy sentries and thus clear the way for others to penetrate the foe’s defenses. Murderers carry many javelins with them, which they throw from hiding and wield in melee, and they also carry garrotes to cut off sounds of screaming.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Where's that monster envy goalposts gif

But I did not here?

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 17, 2018

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Ran a free short adventure called Murder at Moonvale Manor for my group, since one of the players wasn't able to make it and I didn't want to continue the main campaign without him (since they're going into a segment that's specifically related to his character next) and we had a pretty good time. The more savvy of the two I ran for pretty much immediately caught on to the Clue-inspired nature of the short, which had him investigation mode pretty early on. He was very much in the "we need to keep anyone from leaving and put together the clues" mindset the whole time, trying to piece together who the killer might be, so it took him completely off guard when the house came to life and started eating people. The traps ended up being a lot of fun; the party avoided them without much trouble, but they got to witness their effects on the poor NPCs; in total, only two of them came out alive, and it isn't even guaranteed that those two will survive.

It's a shame we had to cut it short, but so it goes. I plan to have a 1-on-1 with the one who couldn't make it, to go over what he was up to while the party was getting eaten by a house. My hope is to have him run afoul of some guys who have been following the party around, maybe introduce an NPC who will show up later, and end with him headed in the direction the party went, attempting to break into the house that has since locked itself off in its attempt to consume them. Then they can all take on the boss together.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
That sounds like a fun adventure. Tried a brief Google search but couldn't find it. Is it available online like on DMs guild or drivethrough RPG?

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

That sounds like a fun adventure. Tried a brief Google search but couldn't find it. Is it available online like on DMs guild or drivethrough RPG?

Oh, that's why; I spelled Moonveil wrong. But yeah, it's a free adventure for 4-6 5th-level characters. Very lite on combat, it's mostly about building the atmosphere of the manor and then focusing on the interactions between the characters and the whodunnit mystery.

In spite of the fact that I only had 2 people (plus an almost purely support NPC who the party has been traveling with) the whole thing went well. One of the nice things about the lack of combat is that it almost doesn't matter how tough the party is. In our game, the pair split up a couple of times, which allowed them to basically experience all of the neat little "tricks" the house had in store (the carpet mimic, the eskillator, the "blunderbuss in the ceiling" trap, the Sinking Feeling trap) separately and overcome their individual obstacles to come together for the final confrontation. I altered a couple of things to make it fit into my setting, and even that ended up working out as it offered some things to tie into the broader story and will end with them collecting a magic item that seems kind of neat now but which will end up being more important later.

CeallaSo fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 17, 2018

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

But I did not here?

Sorry I just quoted your last post instead, I'm referring to this stuff bud:

MonsterEnvy posted:

But maybe one of the abilities I fully see does provide indefinite life drain. Which I am fine with, as the Night Walker is a Challenge 20 beast. That people would probably not be facing until they are at the level to have access to Greater Restoration. I am fine with permanent effects on high level monsters.

You did one of those 'it doesnt do this' -> 'actually it might do this but that doesnt matter cause its good'. It's very aggravating when you swap stances like that. If you think its fine, don't argue if it does or does not have something people disagree with. Instead your first post should be 'actually I like these kinds of effects'. People can then agree or disagree with that rather than you changing what the argument is about mid way through. Thats what's called 'moving the goal posts' as you are moving what the argument is about because the original goal of the argument is no longer in reach of your argument.

I mean I can disagree with your argument that permanent effects are good but thats not the point to the goalpost moving.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

Sorry I just quoted your last post instead, I'm referring to this stuff bud:

You did one of those 'it doesnt do this' -> 'actually it might do this but that doesnt matter cause its good'. It's very aggravating when you swap stances like that. If you think its fine, don't argue if it does or does not have something people disagree with. Instead your first post should be 'actually I like these kinds of effects'. People can then agree or disagree with that rather than you changing what the argument is about mid way through. Thats what's called 'moving the goal posts' as you are moving what the argument is about because the original goal of the argument is no longer in reach of your argument.

I mean I can disagree with your argument that permanent effects are good but thats not the point to the goalpost moving.

Ok fair enough. But I was never saying I thought it was bad.

Anyway I got a better look and it does not have permanent drain. But I would not care much if it did is all I am saying as I think it's a good threatening ability on a high level monster.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Permanent/actually-difficult-to-remove ability drain is potentially okay, but I don't think it's for every group. That said, losing fifty points of HP in one hit is beyond insane, even if you have to fail two saves for it to happen.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ok fair enough. But I was never saying I thought it was bad.

Anyway I got a better look and it does not have permanent drain. But I would not care much if it did is all I am saying as I think it's a good threatening ability on a high level monster.

Permanent damage can be good but it's usually a bad idea to do permanent drain to health because that tends to happen to the character who most need health to do their jobs and results in a death spiral. That low health will cause that character who is up front to be more likely to die later because of that low health. It means they fundamentally lose the ability to fulfill their role and since D&D usually pigeonholes people it, removing a critical resources like health can be devastating to certain classes.

I suppose a good comparison would be, what if this monster permanently took away the highest level spell slots from a wizard every time they failed a con save. Would that be fun for the players to deal with after the fight is over?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Elephant Parade posted:

Permanent/actually-difficult-to-remove ability drain is potentially okay, but I don't think it's for every group. That said, losing fifty points of HP in one hit is beyond insane, even if you have to fail two saves for it to happen.

Two hits from looking at the Nightwalker preview I have. Here to make it easier for everyone I will post it. It's just someone's picture.

But yeah I agree indefinite drain (A better name for it) is not for everyone.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 17, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

Permanent damage can be good but it's usually a bad idea to do permanent drain to health because that tends to happen to the character who most need health to do their jobs and results in a death spiral. That low health will cause that character who is up front to be more likely to die later because of that low health. It means they fundamentally lose the ability to fulfill their role and since D&D usually pigeonholes people it, removing a critical resources like health can be devastating to certain classes.

I suppose a good comparison would be, what if this monster permanently took away the highest level spell slots from a wizard every time they failed a con save. Would that be fun for the players to deal with after the fight is over?

Fun no scary and interesting yes. I think there actually is a monster in the new book that drains your highest level spell slots. (Temporarily.)

If damage is permanent I am fine with it if it's on High Level monsters. Stuff that you won't be facing until you have a reasonable chance of fixing it. Then it's scary and resource consuming rather then just a spiral towards death.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Fun no scary and interesting yes. I think there actually is a monster in the new book that drains your highest level spell slots. (Temporarily.)

If damage is permanent I am fine with it if it's on High Level monsters. Stuff that you won't be facing until you have a reasonable chance of fixing it. Then it's scary and resource consuming rather then just a spiral towards death.

Okay so heres the second problem that is the classic dnd death problem. If it's not permanent and instead just 'you need to find a specific resource/ability to clear it' you run into a new problem. Either its easy to clear (either because you have or its a spell one of your players has and can just wave their hand or spend a minor resource to do so) OR its not easy to clear and the party has to decide whether they derail the adventure to go get this thing cleared and resolved before they continue. If they keep pressing on it can be interesting but you're basically setting up a big giant flag to derail the pacing of the plot. 2/3 different resolutions either don't matter or require you to carefully manage when things like this happen or you kill any momentum your game might have. This is usually a sign of bad design.

I call it the classic dnd death problem because its basically how mid->high level dnd death works. It's a weird speedbump that doesnt add tension but rather works to just derail your momentum.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

Okay so heres the second problem that is the classic dnd death problem. If it's not permanent and instead just 'you need to find a specific resource/ability to clear it' you run into a new problem. Either its easy to clear (either because you have or its a spell one of your players has and can just wave their hand or spend a minor resource to do so) OR its not easy to clear and the party has to decide whether they derail the adventure to go get this thing cleared and resolved before they continue. If they keep pressing on it can be interesting but you're basically setting up a big giant flag to derail the pacing of the plot. 2/3 different resolutions either don't matter or require you to carefully manage when things like this happen or you kill any momentum your game might have. This is usually a sign of bad design.

I call it the classic dnd death problem because its basically how mid->high level dnd death works. It's a weird speedbump that doesnt add tension but rather works to just derail your momentum.

Your forgetting the other way. They can cure it easily, but not on the spot.

Lets say hypothetically say that the Wizard and Fighter have been hit by an indefinite version of life drain, the fighter losing 46 hp and the Wizard 24. The Cleric in the party can cast Greater Restoration to fix it, but does not have prepared it today. The party is currently on the second floor of a dungeon filled with dangerous enemies.

There are many ways the party could choose to proceed after this, and I find most of them exciting. The most boring option I can think of which my players would pretty much never choose, would be to leave the dungeon for a couple of days to fully restore and refresh everything. But even that can be used in an interesting way as events can happen in the dungeon or plot while they are gone.