Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Is this thread Plex-specific, or do you guys do Emby too? (or is there another thread that would be better for that?)

AFAIK neither Plex or Emby has support for offloading encoding to another machine on the network, right? I wonder if you could set up the Emby server as a NFS host and SLURM cluster head-node, and then alter the ffmpeg encoder command so it launches the job onto the SLURM worker nodes instead of locally... that might be a way you could scale to higher numbers of streams at the same time (I don't really need this, just interesting).

There's a thread for Emby: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3753964

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

Is this thread Plex-specific, or do you guys do Emby too? (or is there another thread that would be better for that?)

AFAIK neither Plex or Emby has support for offloading encoding to another machine on the network, right? I wonder if you could set up the Emby server as a NFS host and SLURM cluster head-node, and then alter the ffmpeg encoder command so it launches the job onto the SLURM worker nodes instead of locally... that might be a way you could scale to higher numbers of streams at the same time (I don't really need this, just interesting).

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3753964 is the Emby thread.

Plex doesn't support that AFAIK.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm pretty sure I've seen that come up on the Plex forums before. If I remember correctly, the general response was a solid "why". If your storage box can't handle transcoding duties, then just install Plex on a separate box that does have the horsepower.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

AFAIK neither Plex or Emby has support for offloading encoding to another machine on the network, right?

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen that come up on the Plex forums before.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/178320/plex-remote-transcoder-a-distributed-transcoding-backend-for-plex

and yeah, if you have enough clients you're building an encoding farm, it's real hard to handwave it away as "family and close friends sharing some media" so you'll never see it officially supported.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Got one of those discounted Plex Pass emails. Not sure if it's worth it. Did someone upgrade on a whim and find a killer feature they can't imagine living without?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
DVR is basically the only good reason for plexpass, IMO. So if you're into that go for it, otherwise let it pass you by.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
The killer features to me are offline sync and multiple users for home, both of which I use daily. I would not be able to use Plex without separated watched status tracking between my girlfriend and I.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

KingKapalone posted:

Got one of those discounted Plex Pass emails. Not sure if it's worth it. Did someone upgrade on a whim and find a killer feature they can't imagine living without?

I did. Synchronizing stuff is nice with how easy it is, and Plex Pass enables hardware decoding which saves me computer power going forward.

I won't lie though - Plex TV is still pretty bad, especially when compared to competitors like Youtube TV.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

TheScott2K posted:

DVR is basically the only good reason for plexpass, IMO. So if you're into that go for it, otherwise let it pass you by.

And this would require an HD antenna?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

KingKapalone posted:

And this would require an HD antenna?

And a tuner. And, if we're being honest with ourselves about how well 1080i transcodes on the fly, client devices that support MPEG2.

derk
Sep 24, 2004
The Plex Pass sub is well worth the money. I have 5 or 6 users in my home account, beautiful thing.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

porksmash posted:

The killer features to me are offline sync and multiple users for home, both of which I use daily. I would not be able to use Plex without separated watched status tracking between my girlfriend and I.

Can you explain this please? My wife and I have no problems sharing an account. Are you both watching the exact same movie/tv episode and stopping at different points or something?

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
We watch very different types of shows when not together and I didn't like reality TV showing up in my on deck section. If you watch the same stuff it's probably not a big deal.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Oldstench posted:

Can you explain this please? My wife and I have no problems sharing an account. Are you both watching the exact same movie/tv episode and stopping at different points or something?

So, with my users, my son is one of them so i restrict what in the library he can see and has access to. The rest are family members and for the TV shows that they watch, that is all they can see in my library. Otherwise it is cumbersome for them to sift through all my shows to find their shows. You cannot do that without a Plex Pass. If you just have you and your wife, you probably do not need the Plex Pass. Guys like me with remote users and different tastes and age restrictions you would. You can restrict which libraries each user has access to and can then tune it down to only show them specific shows/movies/artists within those libraries.

EDIT: Each user is locked with a pin number

derk fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 25, 2018

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Not really sure where to post this but how are tvdb, sonarr, Plex, et all going to handle the remixed s4 of arrested development that just came out?

I don't know of any show that has done something like this before so not sure of the naming convention that should be used.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Knowing tvdb? Badly. I expect it’ll be considered a Special and they’ll make entries in there for it, and hopefully thexem will patch scene versions in ok.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I underestimated how much the tvdb staff sucks. My fault, as I should've immediately jumped to 'handled in the worst possible way' and not just 'badly'.

quote:

Because per our rules we don't list recuts of any sort and only list the original version. It would be duplicate episodes.

So they're not listing it at all. And because it's 7 episodes more than the original version, it can't even be forced in.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Nothing stopping you from using your own information or some other source.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Just swap your default indexer to the movie dB and don't worry about it

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah that’s true, I forget that Plex let’s you use other sources while Sonarr doesn’t. I’ll just do some manual work for this one then.

But the important thing to remember is that the people who run tvdb suck (this is by no means an isolated thing).

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

For now I've just setup the remix as a separate show.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I just got Tautulli (formerly Plexpy) working and sending email notifications (protip, don't use google, use outlook for smtp). And am liking it, but it looks like it's picking filename from the properties->details->Title which (as far as I know) neither SABNzbd or Sickbeard touches when it renames the file. For example the file starts as:

RARBG.someshow.S02E05.WEBRip.x264.ION10.mkv

And it get's renamed:

Someshow.S02E05.EpisodeName.mkv

But in the properties it remains:

RARBG.someshow.S02E05.WEBRip.x264.ION10.mkv (details and comments)

So Plexpy picks up this info, instead of the new and improved file name. It's a minor annoyance, but I'm a goon soooooo...

Does Sonarr 'fix' this?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Sonarr keeps a record of the original name but in its own database, it strips it from the file details.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

porktree posted:

I just got Tautulli (formerly Plexpy) working and sending email notifications (protip, don't use google, use outlook for smtp). And am liking it, but it looks like it's picking filename from the properties->details->Title which (as far as I know) neither SABNzbd or Sickbeard touches when it renames the file. For example the file starts as:

RARBG.someshow.S02E05.WEBRip.x264.ION10.mkv

And it get's renamed:

Someshow.S02E05.EpisodeName.mkv

But in the properties it remains:

RARBG.someshow.S02E05.WEBRip.x264.ION10.mkv (details and comments)

So Plexpy picks up this info, instead of the new and improved file name. It's a minor annoyance, but I'm a goon soooooo...

Does Sonarr 'fix' this?

Are you sure it's not pulling out of the files meta data rather than the filename

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
What the heck is Sonarr, Sickbeard, etc? I’ve seen it mentioned time and time again when looking up renaming utilities, but when I investigate them they seem to be about :filez: and downloading TV episodes from a USENET provider.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Craptacular! posted:

What the heck is Sonarr, Sickbeard, etc? I’ve seen it mentioned time and time again when looking up renaming utilities, but when I investigate them they seem to be about :filez: and downloading TV episodes from a USENET provider.

They are downloaders that you set up to automatically download what you want. They search indexers periodically for things. They also organize your files by moving them around and renaming them.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Craptacular! posted:

The latter, but they automatically rename stuff and move it into your Plex library too.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

fluppet posted:

Are you sure it's not pulling out of the files meta data rather than the filename

Ya, that's what I said as unclearly as possible. I you look at the properties of the file, in the meta data under details, the title still has the RARBG name. Plex pulls the title from the meta data if it exists.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Lawen posted:

The latter, but they automatically rename stuff and move it into your Plex library too.

How does sonarr compare to something like FileBot?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

BoyBlunder posted:

How does sonarr compare to something like FileBot?

Completely different. FileBot looks like it's strictly a tagging and renaming tool. Sonarr/Radarr are much more focused on keeping a list of tv shows/movies that you want and watching for them on the usenet/torrent indexers that you configure. When it finds something you've told it to look for it passes the info to your usenet/torrent client to download the file. Once the file finishes downloading/extracting, sonarr/radarr take back over, rename it sanely (e.g. TV.Show.s01e01.720pWebRip.L33tReleaseGrOuP.mkv becomes "Tv Show - s01e01.mkv" or however you configure it) and moves it into your Plex directory so that Plex can find it. Then Plex adds it to your library and uses its own tools to find a match on tvdb/tmdb and do all the tagging/cover art/trailers downloading.

So the renaming part is just a tiny bit of what they do. If you just need something to tag and rename your media, sonarr/radarr aren't what you're looking for. But if you want an automated DVR-like system it's great. You can just tell it "Hey, I watch Westworld" and boom, the new episode of Westworld magically shows up in your Plex, tagged and ready to watch, about 30 mins after it airs, with no further intervention on your part.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
There's a thread for Usenet and these programs, with a well-written OP.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3409898

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Ive recently begun aquiring some shows in HEVC. They play fine on openPHT/rasplex. But on appletv, the audio is f’d. All the center channel audio is coming from the right speaker.

Help me goons TIA

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

My guess is the files you are trying to playback don't meet whatever HEVC profiles the Apple TV supports: https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/comments/76qkv3/hevc_h265_and_the_apple_tv_4/

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

teagone posted:

My guess is the files you are trying to playback don't meet whatever HEVC profiles the Apple TV supports: https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/comments/76qkv3/hevc_h265_and_the_apple_tv_4/

If I’m reading right, ATV doesnt support AAC LC beyond 160kbs. Why doesnt PMS just transcode the audio to DD or something it DOES support? Seems odd.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m sure I’ve seen something in the Apple TV board on the Plex forum with some code people have added into one of the profile files on PMS that helps with things like this. Might be worth a look in there.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I have a uhd rip and a .srt file for subtitles. I am playing the straight rip without reencoding it because I want 10 bit HDR and don’t want to mess with staxrip. When I enable the subtitles playback stutters. I get a few seconds of video, pause, a few seconds of video, pause, etc. Without subtitles enabled the movie plays fine. Is there a way to get subtitles to work without stuttering and without burning them into the video? I’m not sure where the bottleneck is. Tautulli reports that the video and audio are being direct streamed but the subtitles are being transcoded. Is subtitle transcoding for srt files that much of a processor hit that it’d cause the stream to stutter? Or maybe adding subtitles jacks the bandwidth requirements way up for some reason and the network can’t keep up? What should I even look for?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What are you using as a Plex server and what does it report for CPU usage when this is happening?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Talking about subs reminds me of an issue last night. Have a 3D SBS film with some forced subs for foreign language parts, but couldn’t get it to work right with any client I tried. I’m guessing subs + 3D just isn’t supported? The subs were PGS not SRT in case that makes a difference.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

What are you using as a Plex server and what does it report for CPU usage when this is happening?

I found the transcode process that's running on that movie and it's using ~1% cpu with spikes up to 11%. Using iftop I looked at the bandwidth being taken up by the stream. It hits as high as 40 Mb but that shouldn't be a problem, the network is gigabit and it hits the same rates when subtitles are turned off and it's not stuttering.

Maybe it's the TV's plex client? The subtitle format that's being transcoded to is webvtt and the tv is a samsung.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
So I want to build a cheap (it won't be used much, so I'd rather not spend much on it) Plex server for my lake cabin. I have no internet there so I want a basic box to be able to stream Plex to a couple TVs.

Would setting up a Raspberry pi be the way to go for this?

I was thinking use the Pi, hook up an external HD, use an old wireless router and stream to a couple old FireTV sticks I have laying around.