Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Three Olives posted:

OK, advice please...

I start a new job on Monday and it's going to be a fairly intense sink or swim thing on the job training wise. I was planning on showing up there with an actual notebook with the thought that I was going to have to take some quick and detailed notes and it would be NBD to sort them out later but I talked to my coworker today and she was like you have no idea how many notes you are going to need to take and reference later.

So I think from an organizational standpoint paper is out of the question for me personally, so iPad with Pencil seems like the best option. I don't sketch, basically my quick handwriting is terrible even though completely readable to me, I never thought I would be buying an iPad with Pencil but typing out notes is just going to be completely impractical. Is a new iPad with Pencil a solid choice or should I spring for a Pro?

I have an office with a desktop and I'm allowed to use company WiFi for my personal devices including my personal Chromebook which will come with me every day, I will probably buy a cellular iPad so I can stream U-Verse as I want on my own data connection but other than occasional use as a TV it's going to be a poo poo, I need to take a bunch of notes or look them up, otherwise unneeded device.

I write notes on mine, but it’s usually just 8 or 9 lines of numbers or handwritten weather reports. It works fine for that and it saves me throwing scrap paper out all the time.

The thing I would most recommend is to go to the Apple store and try it. You can try a pencil in store with whatever model you want. Play with different apps, pretend you’re in a hurry, give it a good test run.

Above all else, congrats on the new job and good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
If you're taking visual notes with mind maps and things like that, then the iPad + Pencil may work, but when I take notes on mine it's usually typing into OneNote. And you can probably do that on your Chromebook with a web app.

My biggest concern would be indexing everything I wrote down for easy recall later. I guess you could tag pages in whatever note-taking app you were using, but that won't be anywhere near as precise as being able to search actual type written material. But that all depends on how you best recall info and what kind of material you're recording.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The 2018 should work just fine for you. I think the lag on the current Pros is a bit lower, but unless you have them side by side, it's barely noticeable. Unless you really need other features on the Pro, it's hard to say it's worth literally twice the cost.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If you're writing super fast you might notice some lag but it will be minimal and chances are you'll be too busy to notice some pencil lag at all. The one great thing about the pencil and the pro is the screen is laminated so it feels more like you're writing on paper.

Go to the store and try them out but either way, the iPad and pencil is great for notes.

My handwriting is awful too. One of the ways I fix this is I use notability, college ruled, and zoom in. Having a bigger space to write helps. Then when you zoom out you don't have giant handwriting.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Matt Zerella posted:

If you're writing super fast you might notice some lag but it will be minimal and chances are you'll be too busy to notice some pencil lag at all. The one great thing about the pencil and the pro is the screen is laminated so it feels more like you're writing on paper.

Go to the store and try them out but either way, the iPad and pencil is great for notes.

My handwriting is awful too. One of the ways I fix this is I use notability, college ruled, and zoom in. Having a bigger space to write helps. Then when you zoom out you don't have giant handwriting.

My handwriting is also atrocious and I do the same thing in Notability as you do, except I use the grid paper otherwise my notes get slanted everywhere.

I wonder if there are apps that teach you to write better/more legible.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
OK, went to the Apple Store and came home with the regular iPad 32GB cellular, Pencil is on order from Amazon. I would have liked the 10 inch pro but my new job also came with a large pay cut (Totally new industry for me, starting at the bottom-ish but for an incredibly well respected place known for being incredibly choosy about their employees so two years of dues here and a recommendation from my boss will get me a job anywhere in the field.)

Krispy Wafer posted:

If you're taking visual notes with mind maps and things like that, then the iPad + Pencil may work, but when I take notes on mine it's usually typing into OneNote. And you can probably do that on your Chromebook with a web app.

My biggest concern would be indexing everything I wrote down for easy recall later. I guess you could tag pages in whatever note-taking app you were using, but that won't be anywhere near as precise as being able to search actual type written material. But that all depends on how you best recall info and what kind of material you're recording.

Honestly my preferred method would be to type notes on my Chromebook, the thing there isn't so much a "training program" as they find people that they believe are competent and fast learners and just throw them into the deep-end. Most of my first few weeks are my boss training me on the job and then cross training with my co-worker on her job, taking notes with a laptop isn't going to be practical, I'm just going to have to write a lot of stuff down leaning over someone's shoulder and then sorting it out later, probably transcribing a bunch of my notes for later.

Basically my interview was look at these highly important documents that there is no reason for you to have ever seen before, tell me what they mean, how would you act on them, do you have a guess at what these notations on them mean, oh, there is a couple of red flags on them, did you notice them? One of the documents wasn't even in english. There were also some Some questions how I would treat organization, notes and record keeping, etc. "OK, you obviously can think on your feet and knew what questions to ask about them, I can training you to do everything else."

So as far as app recommendations, I'm going to need multiple pages of hand written notes that I can categorize and file by subject. I was planning on using Evernote as I have used it in the past but is there something that might work better?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Oh I get it. My OneNote scribbles are the closest thing to a formal training program my department has.

Notability is the thread favorite for note taking. Pages are as long as you need them to be and you can easily mix typing and handwriting. I’d recommend that and OneNote. I do like how I can just toss PDFs, emails, and Word documents people hand me as attachments in OneNote and now I will never lose them.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I haven’t messed with them for a few months but my old rear end iPad Air (1) runs BeatMaker 2, Cubasis LE, Korg Animoog, Gadget, and a few other things like that and I’ve never heard any crackling.

For more experienced info, there should be an iOS thread in the Musicians Lounge, too, unless it died.

Pretty sure it was the beatmaker 3 app being buggy, I bought gadget and another standalone synth and haven't had any issues since!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Is there any safe way to get a pencil by Saturday without paying the rape you $95 Amazon price?

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Supersonic posted:

Pretty sure it was the beatmaker 3 app being buggy, I bought gadget and another standalone synth and haven't had any issues since!

I have a constant problem with more than two instruments, I'm on a pro. It's a CPU issue.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Three Olives posted:

Is there any safe way to get a pencil by Saturday without paying the rape you $95 Amazon price?

The retail price is $99 and Amazon has it $4 cheaper than Best Buy/Target/Walmart/Apple Store :confused:

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 11, 2018

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Apple will sell you a refurbished one for $85

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

On a whim I decided to search the Facebook marketplace because I hardly ever use Facebook and found a woman that was moving and selling hers for $75, offered her $65 and I now have a Pencil to start work on Monday!

It feels weird to write on glass but it works and it is absolutely faster than typing on my iPad, more convenient than a paper notebook and taking notes on my Chromebook is going to be impractical so I guess this will work.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
It's also the best lazy scrolling stylus.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Three Olives posted:

It feels weird to write on glass but it works
I stuck a matte tempered glass screen protector on my iPad, and to me anyway, it feels a lot nicer. More like writing on paper.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

TVs Ian posted:

I stuck a matte tempered glass screen protector on my iPad, and to me anyway, it feels a lot nicer. More like writing on paper.

Thanks, just ordered one.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Does Apple ever get a new supply of refurbished iPads (Wifi-only, not Air or Pro)?

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Rhaegar posted:

Does Apple ever get a new supply of refurbished iPads (Wifi-only, not Air or Pro)?

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

There have been a couple of retail deals cheaper than I’d expect an official refurb. Slickdeals has email alerts if you’re really cheap.

If you want to hold out for a refurb, refurb.me will email stock alerts, but it doesn’t look like they’ve even got a tag for the 2018 iPad yet.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The 2017s are on the US store.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/FP2J2LL/A/Refurbished-iPad-Wi-Fi-128GB-Silver

Refurb stock usually shows up 90-120 days after release so I don't think the 2018s are there yet

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 16, 2018

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Yeah I was referring to the refurb 2017 ipad which is not in the Canadian store unfortunately.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rhaegar posted:

Yeah I was referring to the refurb 2017 ipad which is not in the Canadian store unfortunately.

There's three "march 2017" iPads on the Canadian refurb store right now so I suppose the stock just comes and goes.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Fingers crossed for some refurbished pro 10” keyboards.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

Martytoof posted:

There's three "march 2017" iPads on the Canadian refurb store right now so I suppose the stock just comes and goes.

Sigh, I've been missing these all day.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I volunteer at a retirement home to help folks with their tech problems and I can't solve this lady's possessed iPad mini issue.

When she types on her iPad, it will occasionally repeat words or letters she types by itself. I thought her palm was hitting the screen or something but as I watched her do it, you could even see the keys being pressed down like a ghost. I started typing on it too and it would occasionally repeat letters. I tried turning off and on the predictive text and clear out all the text replacement...nothing is solving this.

Any ideas or has anyone else experienced this? I can only think of doing a backup and restore of the iPad but that scares her cause it has all her photos and emails with her grandkids are on there. It's pretty much her lifeline so that freaks her out.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Well, it’s either that fixes it or it’s a hardware multitouch issue that would require replacing the iPad anyway. Just make sure it’s backed up.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Biodome posted:

Well, it’s either that fixes it or it’s a hardware multitouch issue that would require replacing the iPad anyway. Just make sure it’s backed up.

Seconding this, I've seen a restore resolve it, and I've seen an instance where it didn't and had to be replaced.

Also, one more thing I've seen affect this is lint in the charging port or an accessory with a damaged lightning plug (only applies if this is typing on it while plugged in)

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I have seen it happen when it wasn't plugged in. I guess I'll just convince her to let me backup/restore and I'll take the DataVac duster to the port. Hopefully that fixes it....otherwise, I'll have to find her a refurb iPad.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Anyone use a brydge keyboard with their ipad? It looks like it would be easy to swap between my smart cover and it for when I need the keyboard and it looks nice. Or is there a better choice?

This is for a 2018 ipad.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Housh posted:

I volunteer at a retirement home to help folks with their tech problems and I can't solve this lady's possessed iPad mini issue.

When she types on her iPad, it will occasionally repeat words or letters she types by itself. I thought her palm was hitting the screen or something but as I watched her do it, you could even see the keys being pressed down like a ghost. I started typing on it too and it would occasionally repeat letters. I tried turning off and on the predictive text and clear out all the text replacement...nothing is solving this.

Any ideas or has anyone else experienced this? I can only think of doing a backup and restore of the iPad but that scares her cause it has all her photos and emails with her grandkids are on there. It's pretty much her lifeline so that freaks her out.

Probably either a bad screen or a screen that's been replaced and not installed right.

The Mini (1/2/3 at least) has a strip of the digitizer contacts at the bottom of the display, right over the home button. With the original, there's some black tape covering it. With most replacement screens, that tape isn't there and you have to put something over it, otherwise when the screen flexes, the contacts touch the inside of the frame, and you get ghost touches. It's especially noticeable at the bottom, if you push (gently!) around the home button and the screen starts doing things, that's likely the problem.

Getting the screen replaced will probably fix it - Apple only does full device exchanges, so it'd need to be backed up if you go that route. Probably a good idea to do that anyway.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

nerox posted:

Anyone use a brydge keyboard with their ipad? It looks like it would be easy to swap between my smart cover and it for when I need the keyboard and it looks nice. Or is there a better choice?

This is for a 2018 ipad.

The Logitech K380 doesn’t turn the iPad into a laptop but it is really nice to type on and durable. I haven’t had to replace the batteries once and I got it like a year and a half ago. Plus you can pair it to 3 devices and it’s like 30 bones.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 19, 2018

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

TVs Ian posted:

Probably either a bad screen or a screen that's been replaced and not installed right.

The Mini (1/2/3 at least) has a strip of the digitizer contacts at the bottom of the display, right over the home button. With the original, there's some black tape covering it. With most replacement screens, that tape isn't there and you have to put something over it, otherwise when the screen flexes, the contacts touch the inside of the frame, and you get ghost touches. It's especially noticeable at the bottom, if you push (gently!) around the home button and the screen starts doing things, that's likely the problem.

Getting the screen replaced will probably fix it - Apple only does full device exchanges, so it'd need to be backed up if you go that route. Probably a good idea to do that anyway.
I'm pretty sure she got the mini 2 new. Could this happen if it was dropped?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rolo posted:

The Logitech K380 doesn’t turn the iPad into a laptop but it is really nice to type on and durable. I haven’t had to replace the batteries once and I got it like a year and a half ago. Plus you can pair it to 3 devices and it’s like 30 bones.

Personally, I like the keys and recharge-ability of the K811 better (charge lasts a loooong time). However, it’s more than twice the cost. The K380 really is a solid keyboard. My mom inherited mine and she loves it so much she carries it around the house and uses it for her PC and her iPad.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Housh posted:

I'm pretty sure she got the mini 2 new. Could this happen if it was dropped?

Probably not, but it’s definitely possible that the digitizer went bad, or it just developed a small crack on the edge of the digitizer that’s making it weird (could be under the painted bezel, so not visible from the outside).

I’ve repaired a couple hundred Minis over the past few years, and the only time I’ve seen a touch issue not fixed by a screen replacement is water damage.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Proteus Jones posted:

Personally, I like the keys and recharge-ability of the K811 better (charge lasts a loooong time). However, it’s more than twice the cost. The K380 really is a solid keyboard. My mom inherited mine and she loves it so much she carries it around the house and uses it for her PC and her iPad.

Yeah it’s my ‘throw it in my backpack without a case who cares it’s like an SNES controller’ keyboard. It’s had 0 issues and it’s cheap enough that I’ll buy another without batting and eye when it breaks.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What's this about pencil styluses scratching iPad screens? I wanted to get something like a precision Adonit now that the iPencil isn't supported on my Air 2, but I obviously don't want to ding the screen either.

I just wanna draw stuff, man. :smith:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ufarn posted:

What's this about pencil styluses scratching iPad screens? I wanted to get something like a precision Adonit now that the iPencil isn't supported on my Air 2, but I obviously don't want to ding the screen either.

That’s been a complaint of the disc based styluses since forever. Personally, I’ve never had an issue.

ufarn posted:

now that the iPencil isn't supported on my Air 2

The Apple Pencil never worked with the Air 2

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

ufarn posted:

Just put a screen cover on the iPad, works the same with the pencil

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They even make matte screen protectors that make the ipad feel more like paper too

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FCKGW posted:

They even make matte screen protectors that make the ipad feel more like paper too

Is that a good solution if the goal is just cutting down glare on a non-laminated display?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

sourdough posted:

Is that a good solution if the goal is just cutting down glare on a non-laminated display?
That’s the main reason they exist afaik.

How’s the graininess with them these days? I know that was an issue before way back when the retina screens started coming out, like the matte texture wasn’t fine enough and the anti glare effect arguably wasn’t worth the image degradation.