Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

I've only had the game since like September, are there other PvE events beyond the two we just had? Those were a fun way for me to still be playing Overwatch when I am too high or tired to play the 'real' game

halloween and uprising are the only ones so far iirc, but that doesn't mean that they won't add more

they get kinda old after a while, but the pvp stuff is fun and makes me hope they take a page out of borderlands' book and make a diablo style coop shooter game some day. tho they'll probably go back to making it an mmo or something equally disappointing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

junkenstein's revenge had a loving resurgence of life to me when they made it so you could create custom games with wacky stat changes for it

hugely disappointed they didn't do it for archives

gonna get my junkenstein on again this anniversary

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
When Hanzo shows up on the heir select or tutor screen, isn't he holding up a scatter arrow?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's his last one, it's got too much sentimental value to shoot

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Before I switched to a new screen the game displayed "Latency" as around 35 MS (with a 60 Hz screen). Now, with a 75 Hz screen, it is at about 75. Vsynch is on, FPS is display-based. Is this normal or should I change something? Might be unrelated though.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.
I am enchanted by the idea of an heir selection screen.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Before I switched to a new screen the game displayed "Latency" as around 35 MS (with a 60 Hz screen). Now, with a 75 Hz screen, it is at about 75. Vsynch is on, FPS is display-based. Is this normal or should I change something? Might be unrelated though.

Latency is unrelated to your monitor

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Perfectly Safe posted:

I am enchanted by the idea of an heir selection screen.

Sounds like you’d want to play one of the newer Fire Emblems

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Kaubocks posted:

junkenstein's revenge had a loving resurgence of life to me when they made it so you could create custom games with wacky stat changes for it

same and same. I made a no-cooldowns insta-ults game of JR but forgot to apply it only to the player team

It was still doable, until the last few waves when you'd have what seemed like a dozen symmetras sending infinite shields in every direction across the battlefield. Then your bullets couldn't hit loving anything and you'd lose.

It was hilarious tho

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Monitor refresh rate is independent of latency, although higher refresh rates will mean lower input lag overall.

If you want to improve your input lag the recommendations are usually as follows:

Turn off V-Sync
Turn off Triple Buffering
Turn On Reduced buffering
Display based FPS is a good place to start since that will give you 85fps
You can increase this with a custom limit if your PC can handle it. I leave mine at around 130.
Make sure all your settings are low enough that you are getting a consistent. I'm more CPU limited than GPU limited so I typically leave texture filtering and texture quality pretty high, but I lower reflections, effects, and shadows. I also set my render scale to 75% to increase performance and it has the bonus of making the red outline around enemies more noticeable.

Armacham fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 15, 2018

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Thank you!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

played some rein last night for the first time in like a year. had kind of fallen off him because how frustrating it gets when nobody stands behind your shield. i'm kinda feeling it now, though, because i've lost a bunch of games lately and now i'm getting paired with silvers/golds and:

a) i can just hold w+m1 and wipe half the enemy team with no repercussions
b) the most common tank picks at this skill range are roadhog and dva so i get so many free earthshatters lol

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Kaubocks posted:

played some rein last night for the first time in like a year. had kind of fallen off him because how frustrating it gets when nobody stands behind your shield. i'm kinda feeling it now, though, because i've lost a bunch of games lately and now i'm getting paired with silvers/golds and:

b) the most common tank picks at this skill range are roadhog and dva so i get so many free earthshatters lol

That poor soldier made the right call but he made it too late. RIP.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Kaubocks posted:

Yeah I was playing in a high masters match earlier, last fight on the point i only brought up my shield to block a shatter, then I did it back to start swinging, spent about a good minute swinging away.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Who's good in FFA, now? Is Brigitte still busted (in that mode in particular)? I did well with Moira early on but either changes weakened her or people just got wise to her.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Is there any trick to Sombra's hacking ability? I keep getting caught out - either the animation seems slow or I'm doing it wrong and I'm not sure how. I just assume you hold RMB and keep your aim on them, but I seem to do 3/4 of the hack and then it disengages at the last moment. Do you have to be precise with your aim and is there a specific range - like real close - you have to be at?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Songbearer posted:

Is there any trick to Sombra's hacking ability? I keep getting caught out - either the animation seems slow or I'm doing it wrong and I'm not sure how. I just assume you hold RMB and keep your aim on them, but I seem to do 3/4 of the hack and then it disengages at the last moment. Do you have to be precise with your aim and is there a specific range - like real close - you have to be at?

They have to be within range. If it's stopping, then I'm guessing they're moving out of range before it goes off. You don't have to worry about aim - once you target someone it should stay focused on them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

your hack is interrupted and goes on cooldown if you take damage too

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
That's probably it, then. I really like Sombra's ~*aesthetic*~ and character but playing as her requires me to be in a sneaky mindset that I'm not really very good at. I keep finding myself trying to hack people when shooting them in their face would probably work just as well and I can't help but find myself running directly at the enemy with RMB held down :v:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
If they're facing you, shoot them. Only hack from behind, so they can't shoot you and interrupt your hack.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I don't usually play MH but decided to give it a whirl tonight. My first game put me against a team on defense that had two Roadhogs, a Brigitte, Bastion, Orisa, and Mercy, lmao

but then I kept playing anyway and one time I found a Winston in a room and I was also Winston so we had a dance off while our teams fought on the point, and that was pretty cool

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

All of my common and rare drops from lootboxes have been duplicates so I guess I just have everything at those levels now?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Dick Burglar posted:

If they're facing you, shoot them. Only hack from behind, so they can't shoot you and interrupt your hack.

This. Her hack is so fast now after the last buff as long as your target (or their teammates) aren't actively drawing down on you it should go off without a hitch.

Still my fav toon to play just wish people wouldn't tilt off the face of the Earth when they see a somba during hero select :(

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Is it better to go shoot an enemy you just hacked, or prance off and find another victim to shoot in the face?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you're not gonna follow up after you hack someone, why do it in the first place. anyone else is gonna be a harder target by default because they can use their abilities

megane
Jun 20, 2008

As with any disable, the best time to hack somebody is when they've just committed to fighting your teammates, and the second best time is when their teammates have done so (and thus left the victim to get SMGed to death).

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Sombra's xray vision would be a lot better for sneaking if it showed people who have seen you in the last 30 seconds or so

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

fuckin' pro-rear end twitter banner

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kaubocks posted:

gonna get my junkenstein on again this anniversary

Junkenstein remains the best skin for junkrat, best of luck

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Kaubocks posted:

played some rein last night for the first time in like a year. had kind of fallen off him because how frustrating it gets when nobody stands behind your shield. i'm kinda feeling it now, though, because i've lost a bunch of games lately and now i'm getting paired with silvers/golds

You'd think at upper levels Rectanglephobia wouldn't be nearly as prevalent. Is this really the case? Being a scrub mid-tier Gold unworthy of licking higher tier's boots I'd assume people in platinum or whatever it is and above would have the sense to take cover behind the big happy Reinhardt.

But yeah combat Reinhardt is the best Reinhardt and with Brigitte being the way she is currently you're basically an immortal melee duo capable of taking on the world forever.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Songbearer posted:

You'd think at upper levels Rectanglephobia wouldn't be nearly as prevalent. Is this really the case? Being a scrub mid-tier Gold unworthy of licking higher tier's boots I'd assume people in platinum or whatever it is and above would have the sense to take cover behind the big happy Reinhardt.

to be fair i'm being paired with silvers/golds after previous high of being instead paired with golds/plats-- i'm not much higher than you

but yes in plat nobody stands behind the shield. i'm glad they added the option to turn the camera around so i can see that everyone abandoned me

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

fuckin' pro-rear end twitter banner

:kamina:

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Songbearer posted:

But yeah combat Reinhardt is the best Reinhardt and with Brigitte being the way she is currently you're basically an immortal melee duo capable of taking on the world forever.
You run into a lot of mechanical savants in diamond, who manage to avoid masters+ by having zero game sense. You might refer to these players as "the after school specials." They're odd, but far more common than you'd imagine.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.
My experience in gold & low plat is that you get a lot of very chargy, uncommunicative Rein players, and people are consequently in the habit of not trusting the shield.

I had one the other night who was utterly badass as an aggressive Rein in that he was getting kills in on the opposing team, but both supports were in constant peril by a) having no shield and b) desperately trying to keep the main tank up despite the fact that he'd just charged halfway across the map. Our Mccree (who wasn't all that great, to be honest) was trying to be behind the shield, but it would only last as long as it takes charge to come back up. Ended with the Rein bitching that he had gold elims and damage and that the rest of the team should step up, which just goes to show that having good medals isn't an indication that you've been doing a good job.

This seems to be a bit of a vicious circle, though. I suspect that Rein players can start to get used to people not being behind the shield anyway, and so they don't really think in terms of team shielding beyond, perhaps, covering their own personal support.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Last time I played was just before Brigitte came out and looking at overall gameplay footage now I'm not sure I want to. Is the game still fun? It looks like a mess of shields and getting sniped constantly :downsa:

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

eleven extra elephants posted:

Last time I played was just before Brigitte came out and looking at overall gameplay footage now I'm not sure I want to. Is the game still fun? It looks like a mess of shields and getting sniped constantly :downsa:

Brigitte appears to be seriously overtuned and has warped the meta into kind of a Hanzo driven deathball battle. It's not terrible, and I like Hanzo and Zarya, but I don't think it's great either.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

porfiria posted:

Brigitte appears to be seriously overtuned and has warped the meta into kind of a Hanzo driven deathball battle. It's not terrible, and I like Hanzo and Zarya, but I don't think it's great either.

My question is how do you fix her to not warp the meta while also keeping her as a counter to Tracer? Only thing I can think of is increased cooldown length.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Increase cooldowns, decrease healing from her passive, decrease ult charge rate, make armor from Rally fall off after ult ends and she starts charging a new ult (this would make her ult more consistent with everyone else's--nobody else can enjoy the benefits of their previous ult while charging a new one), etc.

Not Brigitte but regarding the current meta: I'm fully expecting Hanzo's ult charge rate to get nerfed. I'll frankly be surprised if it doesn't get nerfed.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

The game is still plenty fun. Shields don't take much to work around, and if you work with your tanks getting sniped is less of an issue. The big problem at the moment is actually having people work together as a team, so best bet of having a good time is finding people to play with.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Play brigitte and bash the shields :hist101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Bumper Stickup posted:

My question is how do you fix her to not warp the meta while also keeping her as a counter to Tracer? Only thing I can think of is increased cooldown length.

Why is shutting down Tracer specifically important? Tracer got a direct nerf, neo-Hanzo also crushes her, and I'd even guess the Torb rework will hurt her a bit. She's fairly bad right now and presumably will be even if Brig can only instagib her every 6 seconds instead of 5 or whatever.