Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

My favorite signing experience was back in like 2000 or 01 when Bendis was just starting to become a name (USM had probably just started) and he was sharing a booth with David Mack and chatted for a bit. He was very nice and gracious that I was enjoying Powers.

I met Bendis at TFAW in Portland like 3 years into USM, whenever Powers relaunched the first time. I approached hi, told him how much I liked his work and got a handshake. He then bought me a copy of the new Powers and signed it for me. Rea great dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

My favorite signing experience is when I had Greg Pak sign my copy of Chuck Norris Karate Kommandos #1.

"I know you didn't have anything to do with this, but you do have a pretty great beard, so..."

He was more than happy to sign it.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Rhyno posted:

I met Bendis at TFAW in Portland like 3 years into USM, whenever Powers relaunched the first time. I approached hi, told him how much I liked his work and got a handshake. He then bought me a copy of the new Powers and signed it for me. Rea great dude.

One time my wife and I were at an event where Bendis was publicized to be doing a signing (on top of other goings on so he wasn't the main reason to be there per se). We were in the back room area looking around at all the artwork and stuff they put up on the walls and my wife was getting pictures. She went up to Bendis, who was the only other person in the area at the time, with her camera and he was getting ready to take a picture and she was like "hey, would you mind moving a little left so I can get this art?" He was a little dejected but happy to oblige. It was only after we left that I told her who it was but it's always been an amusing anecdote.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RevKrule posted:

One time my wife and I were at an event where Bendis was publicized to be doing a signing (on top of other goings on so he wasn't the main reason to be there per se). We were in the back room area looking around at all the artwork and stuff they put up on the walls and my wife was getting pictures. She went up to Bendis, who was the only other person in the area at the time, with her camera and he was getting ready to take a picture and she was like "hey, would you mind moving a little left so I can get this art?" He was a little dejected but happy to oblige. It was only after we left that I told her who it was but it's always been an amusing anecdote.

That's excellent.

I once elbowed Brian Posehn right in the goddamned dick. He wasn't that upset about it either!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It probably happens all the time to him, what with it being 4 feet off the ground.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

It probably happens all the time to him, what with it being 4 feet off the ground.

Ha, that's what he said!

"You'd be surprised how often that happens at this height."

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Two of my favorites were talking New 52 Suicide Squad with John Ostrander, and Dave Gibbons being the nicest dude ever.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Two of my favorites were talking New 52 Suicide Squad with John Ostrander
No no no no, you don't get to leave it there.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Ha, that's what he said!

"You'd be surprised how often that happens at this height."

He talked about his at the time newborn son headbutting him in the dick, too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He talked about his at the time newborn son headbutting him in the dick, too.

Oh poo poo, he probably thought I did it on purpose!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

No no no no, you don't get to leave it there.

There was a lot of "It's not my version of the character. They're free to do what they want." He didn't seem happy, but he was cool about it.

My favorite interaction was with Brian Azzarello at C2E2, but that was at the hotel bar, so I don't know if that counts.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I wish I had cool conversations with comic creators. I did talk MLS with Rucka once I guess.
With regards to Bendis he did a signing at ECCC this year in a big signing room and I think there was supposed to be a 5 item limit but BMB announced loudly that he would sign everything. His handlers weren't too happy about that (and yes it looked like someone brought every issue of Ultimate Spiderman)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Why do you all get multiple thibgs signed? Just have one items ffs

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I'm realizing I've never been to a comic convention and have no idea how they work. I've gone to the gaming convention Origins at least a dozen times, but there's an implicit playing of board games and RPGs that happens there and even playing demos of forthcoming games is a social and active kind of consumption or advertising.

What's a comic convention like? I'm imagining a bunch of vendors selling back issues, some auctions for rare stuff, writer / artist time slots for signings, panels maybe about industry stuff, lots of people in costumes (maybe even a costume contest/parade), and previews of new comic related media, like a movie trailer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lots of Harley Quinn cosplayers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Strange Aeon posted:

I'm realizing I've never been to a comic convention and have no idea how they work. I've gone to the gaming convention Origins at least a dozen times, but there's an implicit playing of board games and RPGs that happens there and even playing demos of forthcoming games is a social and active kind of consumption or advertising.

What's a comic convention like? I'm imagining a bunch of vendors selling back issues, some auctions for rare stuff, writer / artist time slots for signings, panels maybe about industry stuff, lots of people in costumes (maybe even a costume contest/parade), and previews of new comic related media, like a movie trailer.

You've pretty much got it, but also add panels about various topics.

And yes, lots of Harley Quinn and Deadpool cosplayers.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Yeah I've only been to the two small cons that we have here in Indianapolis where it was maybe a couple of panels, a whole bunch of signings, and then a TON of vendors.

I mainly go for the $1 comics so I can fill holes in my collection. But this year I will be meeting Jim Steranko.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
About 90% merch, about 5% creators (including panels, signing etc) about 2% beer related incidents and about 3% filled with people who came just to look at the cool costumes

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Madkal posted:

About 90% merch, about 5% creators (including panels, signing etc) about 2% beer related incidents and about 3% filled with people who came just to look at the cool costumes

2% looking at the cool costumes, 1% leering at the young women in spandex.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Stan Lee is suing Pow! Entertainment for $1 billion for fraudulently coercing him to sign a sales agreement while he was in fragile health.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pubic works project posted:

Yeah I've only been to the two small cons that we have here in Indianapolis where it was maybe a couple of panels, a whole bunch of signings, and then a TON of vendors.

I mainly go for the $1 comics so I can fill holes in my collection. But this year I will be meeting Jim Steranko.

Which ones? There was a WizardWorld there a few years back and it was pathetic. Indy Comic Con is kind of a joke as well. Haven't been to IndyPopCon yet.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

Which ones? There was a WizardWorld there a few years back and it was pathetic. Indy Comic Con is kind of a joke as well. Haven't been to IndyPopCon yet.

Just Indy ComicCon and PopCon. I went to PopCon two years ago and thought it was meh. Mainly went for the $1 comics. I'm going to PopCon again this year because I work with a guy that created it and cuz they got Steranko.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Just Indy ComicCon and PopCon. I went to PopCon two years ago and thought it was meh. Mainly went for the $1 comics. I'm going to PopCon again this year because I work with a guy that created it and cuz they got Steranko.

Gotchas. WW Indy was such a bust they quietly pulled out and pretended it never happened. The best part was they tried to buy into the Indy CC because it did so weel it's first year and when they were unable to do that they decided to do their own con and it was such a failure. Like oh my god was it a joke.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I just picked up a box of comics from my Dad's attic. Aside from teenage me deciding to keep all my #1's somewhere else, I am just tickled over all this early 90's Marvel I've found again. Complete run of X-ecutioner's Song still bagged with their trading cards. Some McFarland Amazing Spider-Mans. Some X-Factor autographed by Stroman, some Uncanny that I can only imagine was signed by Porticio. Like, none of this is worth anything, but it makes me smile. I just really wished he had found the #1 stash and my dozen+ copies of X-Men #1 gatefold cover.

EDIT: also Infinity Gauntlet and Infinity War, minus the #1's.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

A Strange Aeon posted:

What's a comic convention like?

Read The Eltingville Club

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Does anyone know if you can read Bone's Tall Tales without having read the whole main series?

I lent the first Bone trade to a coworker's son and he loved it, but the only other one I have is Tall Tales and I don't want to accidentally spoil anything for him by giving it to him.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Gotchas. WW Indy was such a bust they quietly pulled out and pretended it never happened. The best part was they tried to buy into the Indy CC because it did so weel it's first year and when they were unable to do that they decided to do their own con and it was such a failure. Like oh my god was it a joke.

If you decide to come down to PopCon let me know. I might be able to get you a free pass.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Huh. https://www.cbr.com/spider-man-beer-prohibition/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

If you decide to come down to PopCon let me know. I might be able to get you a free pass.

Neat! I will keep it in mind.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Squizzle posted:

Morrison's New X-Men began 17 years ago this summer, placing it as far from the present day as it is from the original Secret Wars event, the first appearance of Spider-Man's black costume, and the debut of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

No, *you're old*.

Also, re signing: Some creators will put out a voluntary tip jar. Usually anything that goes into it is used to defray costs of attending the con (meals, etc.).

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Had one of my best creator encounters today while setting up for Motor City Comic Con.

Neal Adams caught me looking at a Bucky O’Hare print, and he started singing the theme song. We talked about all things Bucky O’Hare for a while, and I eventually mentioned the Green Lantern pizzeria. After a few jokes, I negotiated an autograph for a pizza. So, tomorrow, I owe Neal Adams a pizza.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I now have a pizza box signed by Neal Adams, and I sold some Disney toys to Katie Cook. Everybody has been great so far.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Tangent Green Lantern is pretty great, and should've gotten her own live-action TV show

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There was some talk about the JLA/Avengers books a bit earlier--just wanted to report back.

I found #2 and #3 at Half-Price books for $2.98 each, so I picked them up. I tracked down #1 on Amazon for ~$10, and then I just needed #4. Minimum I could see on Amazon was $30, which seemed a lot--on eBay, I found a Buy It Now for $25, and an open auction for a copy signed by Perez. I ended up winning the signed copy for $12 somehow--so all told, it wasn't too bad, but I got lucky with finding half of the issues for basically cover price.

There were bundles on eBay for $60 for all 4--the hardcover or trades I saw were all outrageously more expensive than that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy Goodbody posted:

no. Literally no one saw it

I did, because I saw the DVD at Wal-Mart, went :wtc:, and had to see that trainwreck

It... actually wasn't bad, it basically surgically removed everything skeevy from the anime and felt a lot like a B-list version of Dredd or Neill Blomkamp's stuff.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

There was some talk about the JLA/Avengers books a bit earlier--just wanted to report back.

I found #2 and #3 at Half-Price books for $2.98 each, so I picked them up. I tracked down #1 on Amazon for ~$10, and then I just needed #4. Minimum I could see on Amazon was $30, which seemed a lot--on eBay, I found a Buy It Now for $25, and an open auction for a copy signed by Perez. I ended up winning the signed copy for $12 somehow--so all told, it wasn't too bad, but I got lucky with finding half of the issues for basically cover price.

There were bundles on eBay for $60 for all 4--the hardcover or trades I saw were all outrageously more expensive than that.

I should just get singles, looks like. I was trying to track trades and oof

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

hup posted:

I should just get singles, looks like. I was trying to track trades and oof

Yeah, my default is a trade too but in this case it would have been crazy. I'm not sure what bonus stuff is in the trade that wouldn't be in the 4 single issues, but I can't imagine it being worth the vast difference in cost.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I wouldn't worry too much, Disney will probably buy Warner Brothers in the next decade and then the rights issues with a reprint will be a lot easier.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Skwirl posted:

I wouldn't worry too much, Disney will probably buy Warner Brothers in the next decade and then the rights issues with a reprint will be a lot easier.

By 2025, there will be no America. Only the Disney Incorporated States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/floating_world/status/997896017155538945

• Locked thread