Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Convex posted:

How many people here actually finish single player games these days? I usually lose interest about 2/3 of the way through, usually when it looks like there's nothing new to offer and I've passed the point where the devs applied the bulk of their efforts. That said I still feel a bit stressed about leaving things unfinished even though most videogame stories are terrible and I have like 1024 games from Steam sales I haven't played yet

I don't start a game unless I intend to finish it. That doesn't mean it never happens, but it's rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Convex posted:

How many people here actually finish single player games these days? I usually lose interest about 2/3 of the way through, usually when it looks like there's nothing new to offer and I've passed the point where the devs applied the bulk of their efforts. That said I still feel a bit stressed about leaving things unfinished even though most videogame stories are terrible and I have like 1024 games from Steam sales I haven't played yet

I have resolved this year to be better about finishing games, which means convincing myself it's ok to leave some side quests unfinished.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I gave up on Ni No Kuni II after eight hours and I have no regrets, I don't think I'll ever continue with that one.

I forgot about FF15 after about a dozen hours but I will get back to it eventually

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Convex posted:

I've been finishing all the single player games I've bought on the Ps4 so far. Stalled on Persona5 and probably won't go back because it wasn't that great for how long it takes to get anywhere, stalled on FFXV but probably will go back because I loved those boys, took a break from Bloodborne because it's the kind of game you need to take a break from sometimes and I didn't get very far into The Last Guardian but I won't abandon my kitty.

Since September I've finished:

-Just Cause 3
-Horizon
-Mirror's Edge: Catalyst
-Titanfall2(Again)
-Watch_Dogs2
-Uncharted 1-4 and Lost Legacy
-Asscreed Syndicate
-Arkham Knight
-Mafia III
-Automata
-Prey
-The Last of Us
-Yak 0

And am now working on YaKiwami.

A bit weird that I'm managing to focus much more and actually finish these instead of the multitude of PC games I got on my backlog.

But I never liked Multiplayer games so I'm probably not the right person to ask :shrug:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I used to buy a lot of (cheap) games and barely play or finish them so now I barely buy or play games.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

idk on a whim when God of War came out I went back to that series and finished the first 3 games in a couple weeks. Tried Ascension and didn't like it within about an hour and now am blasting through the new one (skipped the PSP games in lieu of watching their cutscenes).

This was also time period where I decided to sell DB FighterZ, Monster Hunter World, and Dissidia NT because I hadn't played them since they came out and didn't really want to when I put them in to try again.

My answer to give up super hard sometimes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DisDisDis posted:

I used to buy a lot of (cheap) games and barely play or finish them so now I barely buy or play games.

Ya im much less likely to beat a game if i got it free or very cheap

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm very much a one-game-at-a-time person so when I start an SP campaign I'll play almost nothing else until I clear the campaign. The only recent exception to this I can remember is when I dropped Mad Max for God of War, and I may go back to that at some point.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Who is this/why does Wario always have all the insider info

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

He's literally Wario

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

That looks like it's from a public financial document or something, that they just bothered to read cause they're huge dorks.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

That looks like it's from some kind of financial disclosure document so it's probably public info he just posted first.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't start a game unless I intend to finish it. That doesn't mean it never happens, but it's rare.

same

also means it's very difficult for me to just stop playing something even if it's abjectly terrible, like Mad Max (the game, not the franchise itself)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

What big 2k franchise?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I thought I was never gonna play skill games or real time games ever again for a while but I started up Ketsui again after messing around with DDP Resurrection and I've realized I only have 1 or 2 runs worth of good focus a day so now I just quit after those and don't get frustrated and I'm having a fun time with it

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

We're pretty much there. Just need some BIOF.R.E.A.K's now

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
holy poo poo gently caress a nightmare

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sonic Forces 2 looking good

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

What big 2k franchise?

By their bragging of "recurrent consumer spending" it's probably a standalone Grand Theft Auto Online. However the team that did the BioShock remasters just laid off their entire staff after the cancellation of a "mystery project" so maybe a new BioShock that wasn't progressing as Take Two planned and will get Prey'd to another company.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

What big 2k franchise?

I fear this may be Borderlands 3. I really want a 4 player co-op FPS again. Only good this time, presequel was hella bland with the same moon landscapes in 3 colours and the stupid ice skating running.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Oxxidation posted:

same

also means it's very difficult for me to just stop playing something even if it's abjectly terrible, like Mad Max (the game, not the franchise itself)

It's not, though? The only really bad parts are the fill-up-the-meter structure and the minefields, and the latter is optional. Call it the mediest of ocres, sure, but it ain't terrible.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yearly reminder that Agent is still theoretically a game that might exist at some point

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The Housers are still waiting for a good enough movie to come out before they write the story

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What game is even being talked about here?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Wooo recurrent consumer spending

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I said come in! posted:

What game is even being talked about here?

I’m like 90% sure they’re talking about Borderlands 3.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Games chat, now that I've finished Yakuza 6, which game should I start next: horizon or trails in the sky? I also have trails in cold steel but I figure if I play that first, I'll never go back and play tits.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Games chat, now that I've finished Yakuza 6, which game should I start next: horizon or trails in the sky? I also have trails in cold steel but I figure if I play that first, I'll never go back and play tits.

Yeah you should play Xenoblade 2.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

univbee posted:

I’m like 90% sure they’re talking about Borderlands 3.

civ 6 expansion #2

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay so I ended up deciding pretty quickly that I did not like Prey at all. :/ Just picked up Shadow Warrior 2 though and added that to my Steam list of games to play. I want to finish Alien: Isolation, and Pillars of Eternity 2 first though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
what didn't you like about prey?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

what didn't you like about prey?

The weapons, combat, and design of the levels all really bothered me. I am a broken brain too, but I just didn't understand where the game was trying to go with these weapons and the combat.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

The weapons, combat, and design of the levels all really bothered me. I am a broken brain too, but I just didn't understand where the game was trying to go with these weapons and the combat.

Its survival horror so being too slow to dodge and having bullets bounce off poo poo seems to have been on purpose. I just ran past everything in my run

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

New pet peeve: people complaining about games getting free updates post-launch because it means the game they bought was somehow "incomplete."

Right now it's Divinity Original Sin 2, which is getting a Definitive Edition that's a free update for people who already own the game. In multiple places I'm seeing poo poo like "why did I buy the game when it came out then" or "oh so I guess I should've waited to buy it until it was complete."

Like, is the new rule that games can only ever get bug fixes post-launch and anything else is somehow ripping off people who bought it on launch? I've seen that kind of poo poo about story DLC, too.

I am probably more annoyed by this poo poo than I should be.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Prey is really cool because it's so open ended, like there's always multiple ways to accomplish something and each space has a bunch of layers that you peel back as you go. It felt self directed, like more so than even BotW. Lots of other games in this genre promise that kind of thing but Prey kinda actually delivers on it.

I can understand bouncing off of it but it was one of my favorite games last year.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Real hurthling! posted:

Its survival horror so being too slow to dodge and having bullets bounce off poo poo seems to have been on purpose. I just ran past everything in my run

Yeah, Prey is only partly a shooter because it's also a lot of other things. You can certainly build a combat character that can go toe-to-toe with anything on the station but you'll have to go a ways into the game before you can earn that degree of specialization. At the same time you have options for distraction, temporary neutralization, stealth, or evasion that don't exist in most shooters. There's a lot of stuff in your inventory and skill tree and chances are one of it will come in handy in any particular situation.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I mean most people are probably bitter about that stuff because there is a good number of games that have released with tons of bugs and issues. While its good for them to get addressed post-launch, sometimes the issues are so severe they detract from the game to the point where you feel like you shouldn't of even bothered playing it. If a game is going to get updated to actually work properly a year later why pay more to play it on launch with a worse experience?

I dunno how much of that, if any of it, applies to Divinity 2. But its definitely not an unjustified complaint in some cases.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

New pet peeve: people complaining about games getting free updates post-launch because it means the game they bought was somehow "incomplete."

https://www.destructoid.com/no-man-s-sky-s-xbox-cover-leaked-and-it-hints-at-synchronous-co-op-503140.phtml

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I wanna say start with Trails in the Sky, but then you'll want to play through the rest of them afterwards and that's a whole commitment.

• Locked thread