Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

economic anxiety

wait, isnt that a euphemism for hating obama a lot cuz hes black

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Because a nice truck displays your rugged manliness.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Because a nice truck displays your rugged manliness.

You know what's even more manly? A vehicle the repo men aren't trying to tow out of your yard every month.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Panfilo posted:

You know what's even more manly? A vehicle the repo men aren't trying to tow out of your yard every month.

Hey man, the Jones' won't keep up with themselves. Have some self respect and get on that hedonic treadmill like a good American.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
This thread is a goldmine.

What is the deepest you've seen someone underwater on a car?

quote:

Upside down 17k in a 2011 Nissan Maxima. It was 2014 at the time. Car was worth 18k and he owed 35k.

He rolled 10k negative equity from his 07 or 08 Honda accord into the Maxima, so when it came time to trade the Maxima in, it was either come up with 8k minimum, or not possible due to loan-to-value ratio.

He stuck with the Maxima.

quote:

24k in negative equity on a Kia Optima. Their deal was only a few months old... They absolutely hated the car. Obviously still in it.

If I recall correctly they bought a remaining 16 in the middle of 2017, sold as new with heavy discounting and rebates to cover negative equity on their previous vehicle. They carried something stupid like 140+% on it. It also hurt them when they had put a lot of miles on it, and bought it with a lot of miles on it in the first place. Whoever their salesman was probably didn't tell them that 1. Kia's resale value is poo poo. and 2. They're gonna be STUPID buried. I'm sure the salesman also got a pretty decent mini for selling one of the last remaining 16s, so he was probably being selectively silent. Sadly I didn't handle the transaction when they came into our dealership to trade it... but all the salesmen knew about it when they left. We all felt so bad for them.

quote:

Owed $64k on a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. $24k upside down and we got him into a 2017 Tahoe Z71. If I remember correctly it was like an $1100 payment for 84 months. Yikes!

quote:

Let's see... worst one that wasn't on an exotic was on a 2003 BMW 760Li individual. The guy had broken the lease early on his 750iL and rolled in $10k or more.

A year into the lease he had 30k on the car and like a good early E65 it was giving him no end of electrical trouble.

Best bid I got was $60k or so. He owed over $120,000. Might have been $130k.

Guy was a surgeon, ended up working or opening a practice an hour from his house, his 10k lease was suddenly woefully inadequate

quote:

Not the worst dollar amount, but among the worst situations.

Guy owed $30k on a 2014 FIAT 500L. The one with the ultra lovely DCT transmission. He had a bunch of neg eq so we had $7k in rebates helping us on a $28k car. The minute he rolled off the lot, his car was worth $13k max. When he got his balance down to $28k, the car was worth about $7k on trade. That thing's a horrible money pit.

Oh and the best part about it? His negative equity wasn't from a trade in. It was from a car he'd totalled. And he had GAP insurance. "That's not possible, idiot." you're thinking, which is what I thought. His GAP coverage only extended to 150% of the value of the totaled car, so his $9k negative equity was ABOVE AND BEYOND the negative equity he'd already eliminated by totaling his old car (a Fusion hybrid I think).

The last one is the craziest I think.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Reminds me of the goon that spent over 40k on a Nissan Altima lease.

Wish I could find the thread, my forums/archive search is failing me.

Edit: found it! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2873673

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 16, 2018

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I somehow screwed Buick out of a lease return fee by prepaying the last 3 months and turning it in early because I hated it. Evidentially they liked getting it back early and credited me something for it. It cost 99 dollars a month to lease. How can you be $60k underwater on a leased BMW? That is 60 years worth of Buick lease payments.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

On the $64k Jeep someone asked how they managed that since they top out at $45k. Negative equity from yet another vehicle plus:

quote:

an aftermarket conversion company, so it had lift, level, front and rear bumpers, spare gas tank behind spare wheel, water tank in the rear bumper, LED lights galore, winch, and snorkel. Literally anything you can add to it, but he financed it.

When someone asked how they could possibly finance that aftermarket garbage:

quote:

I'm 95% sure we got him done under 4%apr. No money down. I'll have to go check though. EDIT: 3.79% on 84 mo.

Student loan debt and car debt will be our next crisis.

Elephanthead posted:

I somehow screwed Buick out of a lease return fee by prepaying the last 3 months and turning it in early because I hated it. Evidentially they liked getting it back early and credited me something for it. It cost 99 dollars a month to lease. How can you be $60k underwater on a leased BMW? That is 60 years worth of Buick lease payments.

nice humblebrag selfpost you got there

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

A coworker’s mom just died. He does not make much money but enough to get by but he is drowning in debt, His sister is the executor on the estate. Mom owned the house the sister lives in and the house mom lived in with coworker and his brother. Sister tells coworker she sold the house and he has one week to move out.

Does he:

A) Get a lawyer to look into why this house is getting sold and how much he should receive from the sale.

B) Refuse to move out until he understands who is inheriting what.

C) Rent a moving van or truck and start packing.

D) Go out and roll the negative equity of his last vehicle into a brand new overpriced truck because he needs it “to move”.

:(

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!
I see kitted out jeeps all the time in the summer. My favorite has a snorkel for air intake but not one for the exhaust. Cakeeaters are the worst.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Haifisch posted:

Let's get back to our roots:

tag yourself: I'm both the "$500 additional to take hone mining machine" and the asterisked, "Cryptocurrency prices are wildly volatile"

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Xenocides posted:

A coworker’s mom just died. He does not make much money but enough to get by but he is drowning in debt, His sister is the executor on the estate. Mom owned the house the sister lives in and the house mom lived in with coworker and his brother. Sister tells coworker she sold the house and he has one week to move out.

Does he:

A) Get a lawyer to look into why this house is getting sold and how much he should receive from the sale.

B) Refuse to move out until he understands who is inheriting what.

C) Rent a moving van or truck and start packing.

D) Go out and roll the negative equity of his last vehicle into a brand new overpriced truck because he needs it “to move”.

:(

He should read the will or any documents filed with the estate. Not clear on what you mean by "just died", but it typically takes months for a probate court to open an estate, appoint an executor, evaluate and approve a plan for disposition of the assets, to list, place under contract, and sell a property owned by an estate, so if this is the first news he is hearing about this and his mom just died very recently, I would be highly skeptical that it has already sold in a legitimate fashion. If the sister is the sole executor of the estate, she very likely has (through due process) the authority to sell the house and demand that the brother move out, even if he is an heir to the estate and expects to receive the proceeds of the sale. Keep in mind, however that a lot of estates have no money left over after mortgages and outstanding debts are paid, so just because he expects half of the estate, that half could be nothing.

His personal living situation, completely irrespective of the estate, is governed by landlord tenant law, and a tenant without a lease agreement is typically subject to a specific required written notice period to vacate under state law and it is virtually always longer than 5 days, typically 30 to 60 days. If he does not comply with the demand issued in her capacity as the executor of the estate, she will have to formally evict him. Alternately, she can allow the new owner of the property to deal with it if and when it is sold.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

CellarDweller posted:

I see kitted out jeeps all the time in the summer. My favorite has a snorkel for air intake but not one for the exhaust. Cakeeaters are the worst.

Do you need an exhaust snorkel? I don't know much about cars but I've backed a trailer into a lake before and the tailpipe was underwater and it still seemed to be fine

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Do you need an exhaust snorkel? I don't know much about cars but I've backed a trailer into a lake before and the tailpipe was underwater and it still seemed to be fine

Looked into it and it turns out the intent is to keep dusty air from getting in the engine. Turns out its just dumb, not dumb and pointless.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Speaking of landlord-tenant nightmares, a friend of mine who works in the nonprofit sector as well and specializes in taking odd gifts like homes or cars or collectibles told me about a prospective real estate gift.

It’s worth 2M in a high-demand area. But they want to keep like $1.5M from the sale, and want the charity to do all the work. Also there are two tenants who must be allowed to stay if and when the charity takes ownership, and also be able to stay for at least a month after sale to the final private owner. No, of course they do not have a lease. Also they want free tax advice from the charity to make sure they pay little or no taxes.

Apparently they’re going to take it even though it’s about as toxic as a gift can possibly get.

Other than that, not many BWM stories from my job, other than the shocking number of wealthy people who have no idea how tax brackets work.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

axeil posted:

If that guy keeps totaling his cars with 150% gap insurance, he can work down that negative equity! One weird trick to get out of debt!

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Inept posted:

On the $64k Jeep someone asked how they managed that since they top out at $45k. Negative equity from yet another vehicle plus:

At 4% APR that’s actually GWM. Of course it’s better to save yourself the monthly payment, but a decent investment will beat that interest rate easily

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Inept posted:

Over $19k invested!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mineaiki posted:

Speaking of landlord-tenant nightmares, a friend of mine who works in the nonprofit sector as well and specializes in taking odd gifts like homes or cars or collectibles told me about a prospective real estate gift.

It’s worth 2M in a high-demand area. But they want to keep like $1.5M from the sale, and want the charity to do all the work. Also there are two tenants who must be allowed to stay if and when the charity takes ownership, and also be able to stay for at least a month after sale to the final private owner. No, of course they do not have a lease. Also they want free tax advice from the charity to make sure they pay little or no taxes.

Apparently they’re going to take it even though it’s about as toxic as a gift can possibly get.

Other than that, not many BWM stories from my job, other than the shocking number of wealthy people who have no idea how tax brackets work.

That's one hell of a white elephant "gift" for the charity.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CellarDweller posted:

As someone who off-roads I have to tell you that an exhaust snorkel is really not necessary in most situations (and is the kind of thing one would find on a Soviet logging truck). For the most part my snorkel is little more than an elevated intake, not a device I must have for driving through water. Pre-snorkle when following on dusty trails I'd steadily lose power until I had to stop and bang out the air filter on a rock. One of the other AI goons found one for me at a scrap yard for $75. Bonus.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Motronic posted:

As someone who off-roads I have to tell you that an exhaust snorkel is really not necessary in most situations (and is the kind of thing one would find on a Soviet logging truck). For the most part my snorkel is little more than an elevated intake, not a device I must have for driving through water. Pre-snorkle when following on dusty trails I'd steadily lose power until I had to stop and bang out the air filter on a rock. One of the other AI goons found one for me at a scrap yard for $75. Bonus.

To be fair, the guy in the story probably thought a snorkel let his Jeep drive underwater.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

axeil posted:

To be fair, the guy in the story probably thought a snorkel let his Jeep drive underwater.

Theoretically true........

But on modern stuff there's a ton more work to do than just the snorkel for that to be a viable option.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

axeil posted:

That's one hell of a white elephant "gift" for the charity.

Yeah we both deal with “gifts” that are solely given for the purpose of paying less in taxes, and where the donors couldn’t care less about charity. Usually we still get money from those, though. This one is basically just a gift of liability.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

axeil posted:

:downsrim:

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Mineaiki posted:

Yeah we both deal with “gifts” that are solely given for the purpose of paying less in taxes, and where the donors couldn’t care less about charity. Usually we still get money from those, though. This one is basically just a gift of liability.

It sounds like it is a gift of about $500,000 in exchange for selling a property and some hassles related to tenants. I don't know, I bet there are a lot of charities that would gladly take a gift like that even with a lot of strings attached.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wow, did I miss that joke.

Well played.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Motronic posted:

At first read I thought this goon found you a $75 rock st a scrapyard with which to bang out your air filter.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

He should read the will or any documents filed with the estate. Not clear on what you mean by "just died", but it typically takes months for a probate court to open an estate, appoint an executor, evaluate and approve a plan for disposition of the assets, to list, place under contract, and sell a property owned by an estate, so if this is the first news he is hearing about this and his mom just died very recently, I would be highly skeptical that it has already sold in a legitimate fashion. If the sister is the sole executor of the estate, she very likely has (through due process) the authority to sell the house and demand that the brother move out, even if he is an heir to the estate and expects to receive the proceeds of the sale. Keep in mind, however that a lot of estates have no money left over after mortgages and outstanding debts are paid, so just because he expects half of the estate, that half could be nothing.

His personal living situation, completely irrespective of the estate, is governed by landlord tenant law, and a tenant without a lease agreement is typically subject to a specific required written notice period to vacate under state law and it is virtually always longer than 5 days, typically 30 to 60 days. If he does not comply with the demand issued in her capacity as the executor of the estate, she will have to formally evict him. Alternately, she can allow the new owner of the property to deal with it if and when it is sold.

Yeah, I told him to look into what is going on but he is too busy packing and driving his new truck around to care. My guess is sister rips him off and he never notices.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Xenocides posted:

At first read I thought this goon found you a $75 rock st a scrapyard with which to bang out your air filter.

Everything about being a Jeep owner is expensive

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

It sounds like it is a gift of about $500,000 in exchange for selling a property and some hassles related to tenants. I don't know, I bet there are a lot of charities that would gladly take a gift like that even with a lot of strings attached.

$400k after the realtors get their dirty mitts on it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Horse snorkels are gonna be the next big thing I bet once global warming takes a turn for the worse.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Xenocides posted:

Yes. Was that a bad deal? It's a very nicely shaped rock.

canyoneer posted:

Everything about being a Jeep owner is expensive

Try Land Rovers for a while and you'll wish for those quaint days of reasonably priced parts that are actually available.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Panfilo posted:

Horse snorkels are gonna be the next big thing I bet once global warming takes a turn for the worse.
Nah, people will just switch to owning seahorses.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

axeil posted:

This thread is a goldmine.

What is the deepest you've seen someone underwater on a car?

drat I came here to post this one. That FIAT story is utter insanity. I mean, they all are, but that one in particular is extra depressing.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Motronic posted:

Try Land Rovers for a while and you'll wish for those quaint days of reasonably priced parts that are actually available.

Hah!
I have a coworker who, straight out of undergrad, was driving a hand me down Land Rover that was 5 or 6 years old with 60k miles on it that her dad gave her.
Well, she owned it and paid registration on it, but it was never working. She doesn't work on her own cars, and it was constantly at the dealership getting mystery problems taken care of. So, hey, free car, except it is always broken and she was spending a bunch of money to repair it. It was hard to be polite when people would compliment her car because she wanted to scream NO IT'S NOT A COOL CAR IT IS A COOL LOOKING CAR THAT MAKES ME SUFFER

GWM: She gave it back to her parents and bought a new Honda and her total cost of vehicle ownership went way down.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hoodwinker posted:

tag yourself: I'm both the "$500 additional to take hone mining machine" and the asterisked, "Cryptocurrency prices are wildly volatile"

I'm explaining altcoins to 8 year olds

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mining rig will produce $2 of crypto per day!*

*while using $15 of your parents money for electricity

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I've got a BWM family story to share, although I only know the more basic details.

My grandparents (on my dad's side) did pretty well for themselves in their careers. Grandpa has two pensions (National Guard and factory) while Grandma has one. Once they had retired, they decided they no longer wanted to live in their fully paid off house (because there were too many grown trees and Grandma might walk into one?) and bought a little boring ranch. Totally serviceable, easy to maintain, but also bought when house prices were pre-crash, although this was NE Arkansas so I don't know if it ever got terribly bad there.

A while passes, and my grandpa is bored. He decides he wants a new thing to do. That thing? Cattle ranching. So he makes the decision they are selling the house (taking a loss) and buying a new house in the middle of no where, tons of land, a new truck, farm equipment, and cows.

Turns out he is terrible at ranching, the cows are doing very poorly(:(), and he consistently gets ripped off on tractors and whatnot. They were going to declare bankruptcy when my dad steps in, buys the land and everything at fair market value, and tells them they only have to pay utilities/taxes, he'll manage the rest. My grandparents are not pleased that they are required to pay anything at all. After failing to sell the trees off of what is now not their land and lots of bitching about writing checks to my parents, they decide to move. Without telling my parents.

So they move. New house, very similar to the first house (we're up to three now, if we don't count the very first one pre-retirement). They get top of the line appliances, custom fixtures, this crazy insane luxury tub, a maid to come by and clean, and a security contract because the salesman was a very friendly young guy who said they could cancel whenever (this is not true). Grandpa gets bored again, buys a prop plane or two (I'm not sure the total here). Crashes that because he falls asleep while flying, gets his license revoked. He was fine after, just embarrassed.

As of now, my grandpa has passed away so 2/3 pensions are gone, it took forever to resolve the planes and truck because my grandfather had them in his name only, and my grandma refuses to talk to anyone about setting up some sort of system if she gets ill. She constantly thinks our family is trying to steal from her, probably cause she tries to steal from them all the time.

Shirec fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 16, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I just found out my brother-in-law with a new house, baby, and practically new Jeep is driving for Lyft.

Nice guy, I'm going to miss having him as a brother-in-law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I feel like this was already linked in this thread, but my friend just sent this to me: :nws: Bitcoin Butt Plug BTC. :nws:

I'm sorry. I forgot to include the description:

quote:

This product is for the true bitcoin maximilist. What better way to show your love for bitcoin than to hodl a btc butt plug in your rear end? Although this product is technically a shitcoin, with 3 sizes to choose our analist is saying BUY BUY BUY!

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 17, 2018