Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I think they should actively troll people who want a Star Trekian level of continuity from a movie-mocking puppet show but that might be too mean-spirited for Joel and the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I just watched the "We Brought Back MST3K" doc, and Joel's earliest plan for the revival was to have him, Mike, Trace Crow, Bill Crow, Josh Tom, Kevin Tom, Clayton, Larry, Frank, Pearl, Brain Guy, and Bobo all on the show.

Theater would've been PACKED

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My ideal anniversary show would've involved all three sets of riffers in the theater together with little to no explanation whatsoever.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i'm glad that mary jo, kevin, and bill are so game to be guest stars (probably easier to schedule than mark hamill) and iirc the main reason mike didn't come is because he's busy with his own thing now?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

boner confessor posted:

i'm glad that mary jo, kevin, and bill are so game to be guest stars (probably easier to schedule than mark hamill) and iirc the main reason mike didn't come is because he's busy with his own thing now?

I mean, he's busy with Rifftrax

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I want it to be revealed that Mike's the assistant manager at Joel's Hot Fish Sandwich shop

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They should just reveal that in-universe Rifftrax is what Mike and the original bots did after they got back to Earth.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mantis42 posted:

They should just reveal that in-universe Rifftrax is what Mike and the original bots did after they got back to Earth.

That would be great.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
What iRiff's do you recommend? I've seen more bad than good, but there is some gold

My best find is Movie Maochists. Their riffs are delivered dead pan, and usually crass.

Bus Nut is only 25 cents
VOD 3-pack is $1.99 and comes with 3 shorts. If you liked Bus Nut, you will like all of these.

Atomic Age Cinema is probably more skilled and a delight to watch, but unfortunately outside of this not-so-good copy of The Crater Lake Monster, and a downloaded copy of The Torture Chamber Of Dr. Sadism I have (YT pulls it down because :filez:), I can't find any more and they aren't for sale anywhere. These guys use to do a local horror show in Indiana.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Not Rifftrax but Mike did a podcast about Ready Player One and Armada that is fantastic. It's called 357 Pages I'll Never Get Back or something like that.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

twistedmentat posted:

Not Rifftrax but Mike did a podcast about Ready Player One and Armada that is fantastic. It's called 357 Pages I'll Never Get Back or something like that.
http://372pages.com/

I didn't know they eventually went back and did Armada. I'm sure it's entertaining, but I really don't want to read anything else Ernest Cline wrote.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Burkion posted:

I mean we have enough Toms running around, I don't see why not

And then of course there's this mysterious fellow from Carnival Magic...

Multiple experiments? Mass-produced bots? Parallel universes?

...I should really just relax.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

WhiteHowler posted:

http://372pages.com/

I didn't know they eventually went back and did Armada. I'm sure it's entertaining, but I really don't want to read anything else Ernest Cline wrote.

Yea, I don't think they were planning on it but after the response they got from the RP1 episodes they decided. Thing is, I can see how people could enjoy RP1, its a bad book but at least it could be fun quick beach read or if you were stuck on a flight with no on board entertainment. But Armada just sounds so painful.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

And then of course there's this mysterious fellow from Carnival Magic...

Multiple experiments? Mass-produced bots? Parallel universes?

...I should really just relax.

So that's where that old AMC Crow went.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

twistedmentat posted:

I just completed their first season. It’s probably worth a listen, but my god the guy who isn’t Mike has some horrible opinions on movies and shows. It’s also a little disheartening to hear Mike be so completely dismissive of any popular media from the last 30 years. I hate RP1 with the fury of a thousand suns, but my issue with the book has always been the disposable way Cline mentions all those movies and games etc. Mike seems to hate that any of those things even exist.

There’s also a couple moments that stick out because they remind you that Mike is a moderately conservative religious man from the Midwest.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s also a couple moments that stick out because they remind you that Mike is a moderately conservative religious man from the Midwest.

With Joel, I've never really been worried about the guy because while he's also from the Midwest, he is entirely on the Hippie With Weed side of things that has been very quick to aggressively argue against stupid poo poo when he had reason to.

Mike, I love Mike but I also treat him like a hypothetical borderline racist uncle. You don't KNOW he has lovely beliefs exactly, but you're super worried one day he's going to start ranting about the gays or something at Thanksgiving

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
People always talk about Joel being a stoner but is that... true?

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Burkion posted:

With Joel, I've never really been worried about the guy because while he's also from the Midwest, he is entirely on the Hippie With Weed side of things that has been very quick to aggressively argue against stupid poo poo when he had reason to.

Mike, I love Mike but I also treat him like a hypothetical borderline racist uncle. You don't KNOW he has lovely beliefs exactly, but you're super worried one day he's going to start ranting about the gays or something at Thanksgiving

this is the first time I've been able to place why I find Joel is more relaxing, and in certain moods I'm just not up for Mike.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just completed their first season. It’s probably worth a listen, but my god the guy who isn’t Mike has some horrible opinions on movies and shows. It’s also a little disheartening to hear Mike be so completely dismissive of any popular media from the last 30 years. I hate RP1 with the fury of a thousand suns, but my issue with the book has always been the disposable way Cline mentions all those movies and games etc. Mike seems to hate that any of those things even exist.

The other dude is also the head writer for RiffTrax.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Burkion posted:

I should clarify that those glaring moments aren’t Mike literally stumping for Trump or calling someone a snowflake or anything remotely like that. They’re just little moments where he’ll laugh at or make a joke about something particular and you can pretty easily infer what his actual thoughts on it are. The only thing he gets really blunt about is the RP1 main character’s two-page thoughts on religion.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I should clarify that those glaring moments aren’t Mike literally stumping for Trump or calling someone a snowflake or anything remotely like that. They’re just little moments where he’ll laugh at or make a joke about something particular and you can pretty easily infer what his actual thoughts on it are. The only thing he gets really blunt about is the RP1 main character’s two-page thoughts on religion.

Absolutely, yes.

Again, I love Mike. As far as I am aware he is a perfectly good guy who thinks a few things I don't agree with but nothing wrong or anything.

Just, man, I hope that thanksgiving never comes

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

precision posted:

People always talk about Joel being a stoner but is that... true?

Go watch some of the early host segments where he is stoned.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I mean I just always thought he was really mellow. I didn't think he was actually stoned, I thought people just were assuming that.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I feel like I remember this coming up on his WTF interview w Marc Maron and possibly he said he tried it at some point but wasn't really into it but I wasn't paying that much attention when I listened so I may be wrong.

Edit I do remember Jonah talking about smoking opium though lol

Dixville fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 17, 2018

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I figured it was just part of his performance. It’s like a considerably more pronounced version of his stand-up persona, complete with flubbed delivery that he just steamrolls over.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, that's what I was getting at, I thought it was an act.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Burkion posted:

Absolutely, yes.

Again, I love Mike. As far as I am aware he is a perfectly good guy who thinks a few things I don't agree with but nothing wrong or anything.

Just, man, I hope that thanksgiving never comes
My impression is that if Mike was a typical member of the right wing we would be in a much better place as a nation. That said I would absolutely not ask about his opinion on key social topics.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Burkion posted:

borderline racist uncle

Not an unfair description of Joel either...

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

business hammocks posted:

I know other people have said this before, but I’d love it if Mike called the sol over the viewscreen and the Corbett Crow and Murphy Servo were there in his apartment with no explanation or comment.

oh god that would imply that Jonah's Crow could be a disguised Timmy :ohdear:

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

There's a series of smoking pot riffs in Mighty Jack that makes me laugh every time.

Also, I'm Mighty Jack! I make my own gravy!

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Well I still couldn't quite make it through the WTF podcast (though the beginning is pretty interesting) but I found this interview

http://www.laweekly.com/film/joel-hodgson-mst3k-isnt-about-ridicule-its-a-variety-show-built-on-the-back-of-a-movie-6363219

Joel posted:

I have smoked pot in life, and I admit it. But I didn't while making Mystery Science Theater.

Not implying that everyone on the staff was a teetotaler or anything but he really is just a sleepy eyed dude apparently!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Alehkhs posted:

Not an unfair description of Joel either...

Joel at least, I get the impression, wised up to some of his worse habits from the 80s and shaped up over the years. Specifically referring to the 'asian glasses' prop. I doubt he remembers that fondly now.

Mike is the kind of guy that wouldn't get exactly why that was wrong at the time but at least knows that people wouldn't like it and has enough sense not to say anything about it.

That's why I'm more forgiving of Joel in this venue. Now if Joel was still pushing that kind of poo poo, that'd be one thing but everything points to him being smarter now.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Man I'm so glad you guys can read Joel and Mike's minds and tell us exactly how problematic they are to five decimal places of accuracy.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Nessus posted:

My impression is that if Mike was a typical member of the right wing we would be in a much better place as a nation. That said I would absolutely not ask about his opinion on key social topics.

Well, the thing is...there’s already a baseline. Here’s an interesting host segment from Future War that Mike presided over:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADiNgr0C5d4

“Nonono, [2.7 times a lady isn’t] bad! Sure, Wynona is 3.3 times a lady, but Nina Totenberg is only two and a half! And Melissa Etheridge is—ooh, well, pretty low, heh-heh.

Worth remembering, though: That was from 1999, when the average American had more hosed up notions about the so-called femininity of gay women. If you can’t see the video, that’s Bill Friggin’ Corbett as Crow delivering the line (which is already part of a fraught premise, albeit one based on a very mockable love song), and if you follow him on Twitter you know the dude is a fairly hardcore social justice guy. I don’t know if anyone ever asked him about it, but I’m willing to bet he’d be embarrassed and apologetic.

If you’re willing to latch onto something a little less certain for hope, I remember reading an interview with Mike where he talked diplomatically about meeting fans who called him out for insensitivity in the past, and how he slowly learned to do better by them. And to his credit, I don’t recall a single Rifftrax that ever even approached the same kind of shittiness of that Melissa Etheridge joke. Still, I think about that segment whenever I’m reminded of Mike Nelson being a Republican.

But honestly, I like him; he’s funny as hell, by all accounts a good dude, and if he could stand to be a little more empathetic, he’s still mostly harmless. I didn’t come here to tell you he’s cancelled, just wanted to give my complicated thoughts on the subject at hand.

...this isn’t a Wendy’s drive-thru, is it?

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 17, 2018

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Jet Jaguar posted:

There's a series of smoking pot riffs in Mighty Jack that makes me laugh every time.

Also, I'm Mighty Jack! I make my own gravy!

There's a line in Godzilla vs. Megalon, IIRC, where Joel says something like "I didn't know you were holding, my friend". :v:

And in Mike's case, let's not forget the many pothead riffs Crow doled out during Laserblast. "Mike, when you saw this movie, you laughed so hard you spilled your bong water, didn't ya?" :350:

E:

Dixville posted:

Not implying that everyone on the staff was a teetotaler or anything but he really is just a sleepy eyed dude apparently!

On that note, Frank definitely is, as that's part of the reason he got involved with MST3K in the first place: his family sent him from New York to Minnesota to go thru rehab for substance abuse.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 17, 2018

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
On the topic of people's opinions, honestly I don't think it's too important how they feel about something unless they're being an rear end in a top hat about it, especially in public

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Man I’m so glad the hosts of my favorite cowtown puppet show pass my ideological purity tests.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The atheist screed in RP1 is loving horrible and I found nothing wrong with Mike's reactions to it, as a non-religious person

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Also Mike does a podcast about christianity with a pastor from his church if you really want to get into the guy's head before you make more posts about him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
To quote John Mulaney, "what kind of moron would believe in God? MY MOMMY, YOU rear end in a top hat!"