Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Les Affaires posted:

Travelling by car isn't the only option :ssh:

Roe8 was a road project, there was never any plan to construct rail instead.

Edit: Additionally, the main reason it was wanted was due to congestion in the area... Which you could easily have reduced with passenger rail (e.g. metronet) rather than Yet Another Highway.

froglet fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I thought Roe8 was for commercial traffic like trucks, etc?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

bigis posted:

I thought Roe8 was for commercial traffic like trucks, etc?

It was. From memory, the main complaint was the mixing of commercial traffic with other traffic was dangerous and causing congestion - loaded trucks are a lot slower to stop and start at traffic lights.

That whole area is a clusterfuck, though, it was never going to be solved by another road.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i am basically trying to become a town planner but for native animals. an ecosystem coordinator, if you will

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009
Any of y’all going to Greens National Conference in Brisso this weekend?

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Two-party-preferred result
Liberal Ann Sudmalis 52,336 50.73
Labor Fiona Phillips 50,833 49.27

:getin:

Meanwhile the Libs in WA are going to save Ian Goodenough from a preselection challenge lol

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Meanwhile the Libs in WA are going to save Ian Goodenough from a preselection challenge lol

I guess Lucy, Jane and Ann just weren't Goodenough.

Don't care how low-hanging that fruit was :dealwithit:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/joshtaylor/christian-schools-in-australia-want-to-fire-lgbti-teachers

quote:

Last year Craig Campbell, a relief teacher at a Baptist school in Western Australia, had his employment terminated after students at the school found out he was in a same-sex relationship.
Christian Schools Australia, and Adventist Schools Australia, two peak bodies representing religious schools teaching around 80,000 Australian students, have argued that schools should continue to be allowed to do this, even if they receive government funding.
In a submission to the Philip Ruddock–led review on religious freedom, the two bodies say discrimination law should take into consideration competing rights, and be changed to acknowledge competing rights, and that discrimination by religious bodies is "differentiation" not "discrimination".
In its submission to the Ruddock review, Christian Schools Australia pointed to this report and said that allowing teachers to live so-called double lives, where they hide their sexual orientation in the school, was not acceptable.
"From a school’s perspective, leading such a 'double life' undermines the fundamental duty of fidelity and good faith that employees owe to an employer," CSA said. "Duplicity and deceit regarding such foundational matters are not in anybody’s interests and are not sustainable."
The groups argue that legislation should be passed to "shield education funding" as part of the protections demanded in light of same-sex marriage passing into law last year. There is a push for religious organisations that discriminate against LGBT people to not receive public funding, or not be the preferred government contractor.
We want you segregated differentiated from society at best or stoned at worst due to your sexuality but that's no reason to be dishonest about it

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Kafka Syrup posted:

Any of y’all going to Greens National Conference in Brisso this weekend?

i'll be there

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

bandaid.friend posted:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/joshtaylor/christian-schools-in-australia-want-to-fire-lgbti-teachers

We want you segregated differentiated from society at best or stoned at worst due to your sexuality but that's no reason to be dishonest about it

So many people tell me they're not religious but send their kids to private schools because of the school's :airquote: good values :airquote:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Starshark posted:

What about the garbage city for reffoes - what happened to that?

*taps on manus island*

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

https://twitter.com/unionsaustralia/status/996730137205915648

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

:laffo:

I'm sure I've posted this before, but during the ABC Rudd/Gillard doco they talked to a guy who was a "right-wing union leader" and it was just... guh?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

MysticalMachineGun posted:

:laffo:

I'm sure I've posted this before, but during the ABC Rudd/Gillard doco they talked to a guy who was a "right-wing union leader" and it was just... guh?

So he was from the SDA?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

norp posted:

So he was from the SDA?

They didn't say which

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
There have always been right wing unions but in the 70s you had guys like Workers First via the AMWU who were literal tankies that would have assassinated someone if they'd had the chance.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
It's time to shoot the dissadents!

It's time to ignore their rights!

It's time to impose Fascism on the MUPPET SHOW tonight!

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/technology-chief-directed-staff-to-delete-information-20180516-p4zfli.html

quote:

Technology chief 'directed staff to delete information' By Matt O'Sullivan16 May 2018 — 10:14pm

The information chief at Peter Dutton’s new Home Affairs super ministry allegedly ordered the deletion of a government record relevant to a request under freedom of information laws when he was a senior executive at NSW’s transport agency. Tim Catley, who began his high-ranking role at Home Affairs in February, is accused of directing staff at Transport for NSW to delete government information in 2016, in witness statements given during an investigation by the state’s Information and Privacy Commission. Tim Catley is now in charge of technology at the Turnbull government's new Home Affairs super ministry.

Mr Catley vehemently denies he asked anyone to delete government records. “The allegation that I asked anyone to delete an email is not true and it is not technologically possible to do that anyway [at the transport agency]. Professionally and ethically I wouldn’t do anything like that,” he told the Herald. Following a referral from the Independent Commission Against Corruption, the state’s Information Commission launched an investigation behind closed doors into the deletion of a record at Transport for NSW to avoid public disclosure 18 months ago. During that investigation, the Information Commission was told of a culture inside Transport for NSW of suppressing bad news, meaning that higher levels within the department were not told of potential cost blowouts on projects. The investigation also heard that warnings about this culture of suppression were relayed to the then secretary of the department, Tim Reardon, now NSW’s top public servant as head of the Department of Premier and Cabinet. A preliminary report on the Information Commission’s investigation, seen by the Herald, found that a Transport for NSW executive issued directions to delete government information relevant to a request under the Government Information (Public Access) Act (GIPA), the state’s freedom of information legislation.

“The investigation has found that the executive directed the deletion of records that were germane to a GIPA access application and that staff acted on that direction,” the report, by Information and Privacy commissioner Elizabeth Tydd, said. Ms Tydd’s report did not name Mr Catley as the executive who directed the deletion. But the witness statements to the commission assert that it was Mr Catley who gave the direction. Despite her finding about the direction, Ms Tydd determined there were no grounds to refer the matter to the Director of Public Prosecutions or the Attorney-General. Her analysis of the GIPA Act found it was possible for a public servant to direct another official to prevent disclosure of information without committing an offence.

According to Ms Tydd’s analysis, if the official who destroys the information is unaware the information is subject to a freedom-of-information request, the person who directed them to delete that information did not commit an offence. And because other staff at Transport for NSW later ensured the deleted document was retrieved, the commissioner found the government agency had not failed in its duty.
According to evidence given during the investigation, Mr Catley raised concerns at a meeting in July 2016 about emails that detailed a cost blowout in the $425 million “Next Generation Infrastructure Services” project. An application for information about the IT project sought under the GIPA Act was also discussed at the meeting.

RELATED ARTICLE
$425m IT upgrade for transport agencies veers off the rails

That same month, Mr Catley allegedly directed a more junior staff member to delete an email about the exit from Transport for NSW of a manager who had a senior role overseeing the IT project, according to witness statements given to the Information Commission. At the time, Mr Catley had responsibility for technology at Transport for NSW as its chief information officer, a role he had held since 2012.
Early this year, a “confidential” report by a consulting firm commissioned by Transport for NSW revealed a concerning picture of the state of IT at the state’s transport agencies. The Information Commission was also told during its investigation that the full extent of cost blowouts were withheld from steering committees, and attempts made to avoid a project gaining a “red rating” even if it should have one. A red rating means a project has overshot its budget, which triggers regular audits and greater oversight by the Transport Minister’s office. After six years at the head of technology, Mr Catley left Transport for NSW in February, assuming the role as the first assistant secretary of the Home Affairs’ information and communication technology division. In his new position, he directly reports to the deputy secretary of Intelligence and Capability at the super ministry.

Mr Catley denied he had directed staff at Transport for NSW to delete government information.
“I am saying that I didn’t do the things that the allegation makes out. I have never asked a staff member to delete an email,” he said. “That is not something I would do.” Mr Catley said he had not seen the Information Commission’s final report, and did not understand how it could find that he directed the deletion of a record. He said emails could not be deleted at Transport for NSW because all emails that were sent or received were stored permanently in the agency’s enterprise vault. “It is technologically impossible to delete emails within Transport,” he said. Mr Catley said he disclosed to Home Affairs that an investigation by NSW’s Information Commission was under way when he was in discussions for a new role at the super ministry.

In the preliminary report, the NSW Information Commissioner concluded that Mr Reardon, the former transport secretary, was “ultimately able to uphold” his responsibilities under the GIPA Act, “notwithstanding the actions of an executive officer and the vulnerabilities that are apparent and able to be exploited”. Transport for NSW said in a statement that the Information Commissioner found the agency fulfilled its obligations in relation to “all of the access applications reviewed”. “The commissioner found no evidence that information within scope of the applications was deleted. No information was released in relation to the identified GIPA applications,” it said. The agency said it was unable to comment on individual staff. It added it had “governance systems in place that ensure senior leaders and steering committee members are aware of the detail around all major projects”. The Information Commissioner said in a statement that a final report on the investigation had been handed to Transport Minister Andrew Constance and Transport for NSW. Ms Tydd declined to comment on whether the final report would be made public but noted that investigations under the GIPA Act were made in the absence of the public. The Department of Premier and Cabinet referred questions to Transport for NSW. Home Affairs said it did not comment on individual employees.

WORLD
Man tries to rob a group of kids at gunpoint. A mum stepped in and shot him

DOMAIN.COM.AU
'It's crisis time': Sydney's boost for affordable housing

DOMAIN.COM.AU
Apartment owners fear their block will become 'backpacker hostel'

LIFESTYLE
Meghan Markle's dad has disobeyed the first rule of weddings
FROM THE WEB

FINDER
Best Credit Cards to Take with You Overseas

HEALTH INSURANCE
Born Before 1962? Read this Now and Save on Health Insurance!

CARNIVAL CRUISES
Book with Carnival — Save Up To $500^ Per Cabin! T&Cs Apply.

SMSF ASSOCIATION
Franking credits impact on SMSFs

SODASTREAM
Sparkling water made by you for less than 40c a litre with SodaStream

P&O
What’s cruisier than 300 bucks?
Recommendations powered by plista

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Recommendations powered by plista

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

"You're a SoyBoy!"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Sydney Anglican Archbishop Glenn Davies said the Anglican faith was changing its approach to teaching the message of God to appeal to the younger generation.

"Teenagers tend to sleep in on Sundays, that’s my experience anyway, so most of our churches have an evening or afternoon service for them to gather at," he said.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Sydney Anglican Archbishop Glenn Davies said the Anglican faith was changing its approach to teaching the message of God to appeal to the younger generation.

"Teenagers tend to sleep in on Sundays, that’s my experience anyway, so most of our churches have an evening or afternoon service for them to gather at," he said.

Okay that's pretty funny.

Also, I remember church becoming phenomenally boring after the age of about 12, coz suddenly you'd get pulled out of the fun kids activities and instead be expected to attend proper services, stand still, etc and it became super boring and way above the level of the average 12 year old.

Oh well.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It's funny that even 80 year old arts profs are resigning themselves to the fact that younger people prefer to access lectures online (so they can also work and schedule courseload around it), but I'll bet if you ask the Archbish about streaming services online, you'll be looked at like you just told him that vampires are real.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Well to be fair broadcast evangelism has a really, really, utterly awful reputation.

I also doubt it's lost on them that the 1 thing the church actually has going for it is that it builds communities and brings people together in the local area. If you started doing that online it would be seen as a lot more cynical.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Does the photoshopper believe that Alan Jones was so angry that he was physically expanding?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Yes

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lid posted:

we like our sports people

and as much as I loathe Lombard him being given a visa and allowed to stay was entirely the right outcome

I've met Hector Lombard briefly, and can certify that he's an rear end in a top hat and has a giant head. Also, he showed up to a friends wedding (he was invited to come) and started fighting people (which he was not invited to do)

this broken hill posted:

and yes i'm aware it's because only olds are watching tv

speaking of olds, right now i'm in the enviable life position of being able to read the maitland mercury three times a week and let me tell you they never fail to deliver the hard-hitting journalism we need in this age of crises

I actually watched some day time TV, which I've never done before. The discussion on those new police laws was someone nodding and someone else shouting 'yeah, i don't see the harm'

I honestly dont know who that's for.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Daytime TV and what these right-wing poo poo heels on shows like Outsiders are delivering gave me an interesting thought on the weekend.

Their target audience are olds. People who rarely go out on the town and who definitely wouldn't be world hopping to see that no, the nightlife in Melbourne actually isn't rife with African gangs and Paris is certainly not being overtaken by Muslims.

But now they're picking up young people. Specifically young always online shut-ins who don't go out at night to see what the world really looks like and an international trip is out of the question.

So while younger generations are more "woke" than ever and people are wondering how there can be a neo-nazi/alt-right surge in young men it turns out the answer is quite simple.

Fuckers need to go outside.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/kyleandjackieo/status/993972245427929090

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

this broken hill posted:

i am basically trying to become a town planner but for native animals. an ecosystem coordinator, if you will

That would be a cool as hell job as long as you realise that no one would ever listen to you or incorporate your designs in anything more than the most slap dash fashion.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Fuckers need to go outside.

Childish Gambino right again

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

The tweet is less than a day old?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

bandaid.friend posted:

The tweet is less than a day old?

The infiltration of trade unions by the left isn’t.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

what is the meaning or source of this image

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

JBP posted:

what is the meaning or source of this image

Alan Jones has known Federal Energy Minister Josh Frydenberg for more than 20 years but he’s had enough.

He’s had enough of the renewable energy industry being propped up, he’s had enough of coal-fired power being slandered into submission and he’s had enough of everyday Australians being crippled by skyrocketing power prices.

Alan invited Mr Frydenberg into the studio to tell him some home truths and to get answers on behalf of taxpayers.

“I’ve known you for some time. My judgement of you is that you’ve sold your political soul for the sake of ministerial office.

“You don’t believe this global warming stuff, you don’t believe we can survive on renewable energy, you know that coal-fired power will be the source of our energy needs for years to come.

“But, you’ve swallowed this left-wing, Labor Party, Greens rhetoric. Why?”

Mr Frydenberg rejected the accusations levelled at him.

“Well, Alan that’s not true. I’ve always rejected the reckless responses to climate change, but I’ve never rejected the science.”

“Man is contributing to the warming of our climate. We are 1.3% of the world’s emissions.”

Alan, “How wonderful to stuff up the economy for the sake of 1.3% of the world’s emissions.”

The Energy Minister also insists he isn’t against the building of coal-fired power plants, but says gas is the real issue.

“If somebody wanted to build a coal-fired power plant then bring that on.

“But this is the point, our gas intervention that Malcolm Turnbull led last year has actually seen the wholesale price of gas come down by up to 50%.”

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

gently caress me I wish I could become a celebrity with a radio job just by being permanently angry and bad at maths

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Imagine vocally being an example of the tragedy of the commons, and thinking that makes you right.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

gently caress me I wish I could become a celebrity with a radio job just by being permanently angry and bad at maths

He's bad at everything. He said we didn't need optic fibre because we have laser tech without wondering for a second about what medium the lasers were going to be transmitted in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Starshark posted:

He's bad at everything. He said we didn't need optic fibre because we have laser tech without wondering for a second about what medium the lasers were going to be transmitted in.

I've played Quake 2. The laser is a single communications laser that resembles the death star when it fires from it's orbital satellite staffed entirely by murder cyborgs.

• Locked thread