Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Artum posted:

God drat this stupid techno-idiot has so many details, nearly finished sloppily applying highlights so I can begin the process of tidying up.

Remind me how you built this? I have a spare TPD and might attempt it, he looks great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Artum posted:

God drat this stupid techno-idiot has so many details, nearly finished sloppily applying highlights so I can begin the process of tidying up.
I know that pain, though yours has way more little fiddly bits than the standard one I'm painting!

Today I wrapped up painting the base color for the metal on this batch of 10 Skitarii, along with their weapons and heads which are magnetized. Also finished up the last drybrushing on all their cloaks (though that means I need to now go clean up my metals). My last Tech Priest in the top left, which I've been using as a color guide.
The whole batch.

Action shot.

And a close-up of the other side of the Tech-Priest Dominus, as I love how this side of his cloak looks. I think I'll hit it with another round of Fire Dragon Bright edging, to really make it pop. You can also make out the magnet for his left-back arm.

Duct Tape fucked around with this message at 08:23 on May 16, 2018

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

Remind me how you built this? I have a spare TPD and might attempt it, he looks great.

If you lose the mechadendrite on his left you could probably build it out of one kit since aside from the different right hand and his bling it was all rearranging the existing one. I cut him through following the very exaggerated fold in the robe at his waist, then shaved down the back sides and bottom of the head until it fits in his cowl without a gap once its glued.

I shaved down the front of his robe since there was a fold sticking out with another cable exactly where his groin was so it looked a bit off.

His right arms are cut away from each other with the connecting points shaved down and covered with a bit of green stuff and for the left arms I just shaved down the join for the smaller arm so its just a metal plate on his side then cut the little robo-skeleton arm half way through the bicep so it could fit coming out the same sleeve and braced its forearm against the haft of the axe so both were less likely to get caught and snap.

Since his cane was now a good few feet off the ground I replaced the hand with one of the little servo arms from a dunecrawler kit since I couldn't find another suitably scaled hand at short notice.

Next up cut the mechadendrite off his chest and drill the hole out, I replaced it with the pressure gauge from whats now his back since it seemed fittingly mechanicus him having a pressure gauge thing leading from his heart. Then the the mechadendrite from his chest got glued into the port on his back where his gas mask used to connect and lead over his shoulder and the servo skull is attached where it usually is just at a different angle, and braced against the mechadendrite over the shoulder so they're both a damsite more stable.

Lastly I cut the emitter off a conversion beamer, took the little capacitors off and glued them into the ports on his left shoulder armour and pinned the main part into the armour plate at the top of his back filling that plate in with green stuff and used the chest emblem from the marine tank crew to make his little mechanicus medallion.

There's a bunch of things I wish I'd done cleaner or differently so I'd love to see how yours turns out.

Felime posted:

I wasn't sold on this conversion until now, but some paint on it has really sold the tall, imperious looking techpriest to me. great work.
I was extremely skeptical for large parts of the process but I'm pretty happy with where hes turned out now, the effect really works with him next to skitarii.

Duct Tape posted:

I know that pain, though yours has way more little fiddly bits than the standard one I'm painting!
That's the thing, mine's only got slightly more, everything else is already on the kit.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
These are all that's left for the 1250 point tournament in a fortnight:

This week I've cleaned off 19 bases for prep work, did leathers and platoon colours on the third squad and have just now slapped some technical paint on their bases to dry overnight. Metals, decals and tufts and they're done. The 4th squad will take a bit more work but I can use the airbrush to prime and block in their fatigues so it shouldn't be too bad. After them is a pair of Russ heavy bolters to satisfy the odd wysiwyg requirement the GW hosting it has. Mortars up the back are last on the list and only need platoon colours and squad decals to bring them in line with everyone else.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

The Sex Cannon posted:

Tonight I did all of the non-black highlights on my contemptor and even started edge highlighting some black.

I forgot how much I love edge highlighting black.

Sure is great.

I would like to apologize to you by the way. When you were bitching in your podcast a while back about edge highlighting black I was rolling my eyes because I hadn't really painted a lot of larger models are tanks and mostly just Infantry and edge highlighting isn't so bad when you're dealing with a little model. Now I have 4 tanks in my cabinet that are all in various stages of done this because I can't stand to look at them. I've never done anything in my life so tedious.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finally got the shield and mount done for the platform, painting wise, anyway. Gotta put a transfer on it and maybe an extra marking. In the mean time, i can start on the handlers.

Edit: Actual images and not lovely phone pics!

Irate Tree fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 16, 2018

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I put the flamer on my techmarine upside down. :negative:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Started the basecoat on the 3rd killa kan. Think I might try and use this P3 armour wash on it instead of waiting days for an oil wash to dry.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Getting back into it after a lazy weekend. Hoping to play What a Tanker this weekend and have a handful of infantry to go with each tank (GB, USA, Germany, Soviets). All four tanks are at the above level, with the hull finished and needing minor details.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Decided on a darker gold scheme for my Wardens. I had to repaint them after messing up a drybrush on them with the gold - they ended up being way too silver.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Eifert Posting posted:

I put the flamer on my techmarine upside down. :negative:

Just tell people he's falling to heresy.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Inceptor Progress: Done. Total Time: 28:03

What should I do next; 5 Intercessors or reward myself for getting to 500 points with an Armiger?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What should I do next; 5 Intercessors or reward myself for getting to 500 points with an Armiger?

Those are looking good. I'd say you should do more intercessors next. Try to get the primaris part of your army cranked out, and then you can figure out how much time you have and what you'll be able to get done for nova.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booley posted:

Those are looking good. I'd say you should do more intercessors next. Try to get the primaris part of your army cranked out, and then you can figure out how much time you have and what you'll be able to get done for nova.

That makes sense. Get to 1000 points and a viable army then add big stompy things.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Great looking biglys. I agree with Booley, get your core painted and then worry about extras. It's soooo nice to be able to bring out a solid bunch of painted minis in every game you have with only a few experimental bits and pieces unpainted.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

adamantium|wang posted:

Great looking biglys. I agree with Booley, get your core painted and then worry about extras. It's soooo nice to be able to bring out a solid bunch of painted minis in every game you have with only a few experimental bits and pieces unpainted.

Yep. It's tempting to paint toys before boys, but then you end up with a pile of dudes that you've been putting off and your army still looks like poo poo on the table because 2/3rds of it is unpainted. Much better the other way around.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Only transfers and dullcote left and squad 3 is complete ahead of schedule.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Yep. It's tempting to paint toys before boys, but then you end up with a pile of dudes that you've been putting off and your army still looks like poo poo on the table because 2/3rds of it is unpainted. Much better the other way around.

Ain't that the truth. 10k points of blood angels, and I barely have enough troops to make a single detachment.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Booley posted:

Ain't that the truth. 10k points of blood angels, and I barely have enough troops to make a single detachment.

On the plus side, the Astraeus is so big you can't deploy anything else anyway, so you really only need that.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Duct Tape posted:

Today I wrapped up painting the base color for the metal on this batch of 10 Skitarii, along with their weapons and heads which are magnetized. Also finished up the last drybrushing on all their cloaks (though that means I need to now go clean up my metals). My last Tech Priest in the top left, which I've been using as a color guide.
The whole batch.

Action shot.

I like the look - you drybrushed red over black? I think I'll do that if I paint up these AdMech I have for Kill Team.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Eifert Posting posted:

I would like to apologize to you by the way. When you were bitching in your podcast a while back about edge highlighting black I was rolling my eyes because I hadn't really painted a lot of larger models are tanks and mostly just Infantry and edge highlighting isn't so bad when you're dealing with a little model. Now I have 4 tanks in my cabinet that are all in various stages of done this because I can't stand to look at them. I've never done anything in my life so tedious.

all is forgiven, my son

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Intercessors. Vegetables before dessert.

I finished my contemptor:

I'll do more pictures when I get the dull coat on it, but I guess I live in the Colombian rain forest now and we'll never see the sun again (DC in spring). So who knows when that will be?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Sex Cannon posted:

all is forgiven, my son

Intercessors. Vegetables before dessert.

I finished my contemptor:

I'll do more pictures when I get the dull coat on it, but I guess I live in the Colombian rain forest now and we'll never see the sun again (DC in spring). So who knows when that will be?

Come over to my house and I'll airbrush on a matte coat for you.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Come over to my house and I'll airbrush on a matte coat for you.

You're just offering that so you can stick me in your oven and bake me in a pie.

I know your tricks.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Sex Cannon posted:

You're just offering that so you can stick me in your oven and bake me in a pie.

I know your tricks.

Dammit. Guess I'll have to get my beefcake another way.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Xpost

Corrode posted:

Tried out my Necron scheme on a Warrior today. Here he is next to his Immortal buddy:

I know the green plastic rods are kinda dumb but I like them as a retro thing from when Necrons were released when I was a kid. I didn't glue it, so if I decide they suck I can always pop it out again. Really looking forward to getting my backlog cleared out so I can crack into my Necrons properly.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

berzerkmonkey posted:

I like the look - you drybrushed red over black? I think I'll do that if I paint up these AdMech I have for Kill Team.
Thanks :) It's really easy to get that look. The exact steps I did for each of those are:
1. Mephiston Red
2. Nuln Oil wash the entire cloak
3. Drybrush Evil Sun Scarlet
4. Light drybrush of Wild Rider Red
5. Very light drybrush of Fire Dragon Bright

Or if you're not using GW paints. Red, black wash, light red drybrush, light orange-red drybrush, very light bright-orange drybrush.

Duct Tape fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 17, 2018

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to a 1500 point tournament on Sunday. Just finished painting the entire army. I'm ecstatic to be able to stop painting scouts and go back to painting fun and interesting things (like another contemptor and leviathan). I do eventually want to do a third scout squad so I can run an entire battalion of them, but I won't be painting it until I make a list that requires it.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Love your Fists Booley, they look amazing.

Speaking of vegetables before dessert, third squad is done:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

adamantium|wang posted:

Love your Fists Booley, they look amazing.

Speaking of vegetables before dessert, third squad is done:

Nice job with the gray and the black. What's your method?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Thanks man. Fatigues are Cold Grey with Stonewall Grey highlights all washed with Dark Tone. Armour is Heavy Charcoal with edges of Sombre Grey and some Wolf Grey here and there then washed with Dark Tone. Leather is Heavy Sienna with Leather Brown highlights and washed with Strong Tone. It's pretty simple to do and looks decent across a squad.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

adamantium|wang posted:

Thanks man. Fatigues are Cold Grey with Stonewall Grey highlights all washed with Dark Tone. Armour is Heavy Charcoal with edges of Sombre Grey and some Wolf Grey here and there then washed with Dark Tone. Leather is Heavy Sienna with Leather Brown highlights and washed with Strong Tone. It's pretty simple to do and looks decent across a squad.

What brand is that?

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What brand is that?

Sounds like Vallejo with Army Painter washes.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Yeah ^ this

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Got started on my... Intercessors. I will eat my drat vegetables.

Not much done today; started organizing the pieces and modified the Sergeant so he had a grenade launcher and power sword. With that done it's on to painstakingly removing all the mold lines and glueing everything to the plastic pieces of sprue I use when I want to paint things separately.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Got all the blacks to be actually black across the 10 Skitarii and the Tech-Priest, and went over all the metals to get rid of accidental drybrush. Also added a bit more Fire Dragon Bright to the edges to make the cloak pop more. Still a ton of work left, but I'm loving they're coming along.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Finally set up my painting desk and poo poo, I should finish this then post but I've got massive paint ADD and probably won't return to it for a bit since I'm trying to fix a bunch of ugly marines.

Also I want to non pledge 20 emperor's children marines and six jetbikes since those things are on my desk with this guy and I need a reason to not prime my kakophani.

Double edit: what's a nice bright gold that would work on this model? I've tried the ones I have but they're not working out. I want the edges of the wings and stuff to be crazy bright.

JBP fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 18, 2018

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

JBP posted:

Finally set up my painting desk and poo poo, I should finish this then post but I've got massive paint ADD and probably won't return to it for a bit since I'm trying to fix a bunch of ugly marines.

Also I want to non pledge 20 emperor's children marines and six jetbikes since those things are on my desk with this guy and I need a reason to not prime my kakophani.

Double edit: what's a nice bright gold that would work on this model? I've tried the ones I have but they're not working out. I want the edges of the wings and stuff to be crazy bright.

Scale75 elfic gold is crazy bright and will contrast a ton with the rest of your model.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

JBP posted:

Cool mans and coward toxx.

This dread looks great! Always good to see more beautiful boys. I am definitely going to second scale 75 Elf Gold, it is what I am using on my own Emperor's Children after all.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
I just used testors dullcote for the first time and if anything it matted it down too much on my tech priest, would I be correct in assuming that a coat of satin varnish would bring the gloss up a tiny bit without making it actively glossy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

I just used testors dullcote for the first time and if anything it matted it down too much on my tech priest, would I be correct in assuming that a coat of satin varnish would bring the gloss up a tiny bit without making it actively glossy?

That's exactly what I do with the purple on my Primaris.