Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Rhyno posted:

As many as two!
TWO IS A KIND OF DOZENS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

TWO IS A KIND OF DOZENS

THE KIND THAT IS NOT A LOT!

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Like the beard? The diet seems a bit much.

In Injustice, he's stolen a spaceship with the Teen Titans to rescue Blue Beetle, who was kidnapped by Lobo for Metron. Apparently a long time ago, a Blue Beetle stopped Starro, and now that Starro's a Red Lantern, Metron needs Jaime to bring his beetle game.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Not sure why the costume didn't just hang off of that sad frame, but the injustice stuff you mentioned is peak comic book funstuff.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Another hero ready for King's upcoming superhero therapy comic!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Another hero ready for King's upcoming superhero therapy comic!

What?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He's making a superhero PTSD treatment thing called Sanctuary: https://www.cbr.com/batman-tom-king-sanctuary/
Ivy got sent there at the end of her storyline, and now Booster is cracked at the end of his.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Teenage Fansub posted:

He's making a superhero PTSD treatment thing called Sanctuary: https://www.cbr.com/batman-tom-king-sanctuary/
Ivy got sent there at the end of her storyline, and now Booster is cracked at the end of his.

Cool cool. King is breaking characters for his pet book. Nice. :geno:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yea this Batman arc was just characters spouting gibberish for three issues, I felt like I was reading a poorly-edited fanfic on Smashwords.com. No Thank You.

No Justice was really great this week though. This is exactly what a Justice League book, a DC Universe book, should've been for a long time now: a whole bunch of motley characters with intricate personalities and histories all thrown together and punching stuff. And Starro is fantastic here. :allears:

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Wild Storm was sweet. Marc Slayton, Backlash, being dark and scary. The daemonites all over, Kherans in their true forms, the Authority recruiting and Stormwatch about to wreck the world.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

BrianWilly posted:

Yea this Batman arc was just characters spouting gibberish for three issues, I felt like I was reading a poorly-edited fanfic on Smashwords.com. No Thank You.

No Justice was really great this week though. This is exactly what a Justice League book, a DC Universe book, should've been for a long time now: a whole bunch of motley characters with intricate personalities and histories all thrown together and punching stuff. And Starro is fantastic here. :allears:

Is it the starfish starro or the guy starro?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Literal giant starfish Starro, just randomly on this team of superheroes.

Well, not giant. He's like Hulk-size here.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mr Hootington posted:

Is it the starfish starro or the guy starro?
The opening to No Justice #1 is Brainiac rolling into town, going "holy poo poo did you guys gently caress up, you have officially hosed up so bad that I'm going to work with you to unfuck it", and when all the heroes are like "ooookay, what did you have in mind" Brainiac goes "well for starters, it'll take more than just you lot" and opens a door to reveal Lex Luthor, Lobo, Deathstroke, Etrigan, and motherfucking Starro. It's pretty great.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

CapnAndy posted:

The opening to No Justice #1 is Brainiac rolling into town, going "holy poo poo did you guys gently caress up, you have officially hosed up so bad that I'm going to work with you to unfuck it", and when all the heroes are like "ooookay, what did you have in mind" Brainiac goes "well for starters, it'll take more than just you lot" and opens a door to reveal Lex Luthor, Lobo, Deathstroke, Etrigan, and motherfucking Starro. It's pretty great.

Don't forget Sinestro! :colbert:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

pubic works project posted:

Don't forget Sinestro! :colbert:
fuuuuuuck I even double-checked the page right before I typed that to make sure I didn't forget anyone!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

Jesus wept, :wtc: that Batman filler arc. It really had no point to the overarching plot and a massive waste of time, and turning Bruce into some weird Bat-Punisher only for :suicide:. Christ what a waste of three months.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

nofather posted:

Like the beard? The diet seems a bit much.

In Injustice, he's stolen a spaceship with the Teen Titans to rescue Blue Beetle, who was kidnapped by Lobo for Metron. Apparently a long time ago, a Blue Beetle stopped Starro, and now that Starro's a Red Lantern, Metron needs Jaime to bring his beetle game.

The most unsettling thing about this image isn't how skinny he is... its how loving huge his teeth are.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jiro posted:

Christ what a waste of three months.

* two days short of one month.

If double shipping is good for anything it's getting arcs you don't like out the door :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 16, 2018

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I really don't understand how King hasn't yet devoted one word to explaining how, exactly, Bruce Wayne is going to justify marrying Selina Kyle. Like, he does still have a secret identity, right? Because she drat sure doesn't, and I'm pretty sure literally everyone's eyebrows are gonna go up if billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne marries a Batman villain?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

nofather posted:

Wild Storm was sweet. Marc Slayton, Backlash, being dark and scary. The daemonites all over, Kherans in their true forms, the Authority recruiting and Stormwatch about to wreck the world.

Agreed. Plus presumably some setup for Gen 13 as well. Speaking of which, I am also loving John Lynch played Sam Elliott.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm a huge Booster Gold fan. He is one of my favorite characters, and I also enjoyed the first four volumes of King's Batman, especially the arc with Batman leading the Suicide Squad into Santa Prisca against Bane. But it sounds like this current story arc is a character assassination for Booster -- I've read that he's portrayed as more incompetent and idiotic than usual, possibly to the point of being villainous, and is left broken at the end.

King is gonna be at MegaCon next week, and the only book I own by him is Action #1000. I was considering getting those three Batman issues for him to sign, but will I hate them?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just buy Omega Men and get him to sign that. You both will be happy

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

I really don't understand how King hasn't yet devoted one word to explaining how, exactly, Bruce Wayne is going to justify marrying Selina Kyle. Like, he does still have a secret identity, right? Because she drat sure doesn't, and I'm pretty sure literally everyone's eyebrows are gonna go up if billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne marries a Batman villain?
If anything this will solidify his secret identity even more!

"Well obviously Batman wouldn't be marrying one of his own villains. In fact, who in their right mind would ever marry a thief like that who's obviously just in it for the money? There goes that rascally Bruce Wayne, thinking with his dick again!"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wonder if his girlfriend from adolescence/Superheavy gets an invitation.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 17, 2018

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm a huge Booster Gold fan. He is one of my favorite characters, and I also enjoyed the first four volumes of King's Batman, especially the arc with Batman leading the Suicide Squad into Santa Prisca against Bane. But it sounds like this current story arc is a character assassination for Booster -- I've read that he's portrayed as more incompetent and idiotic than usual, possibly to the point of being villainous, and is left broken at the end.

King is gonna be at MegaCon next week, and the only book I own by him is Action #1000. I was considering getting those three Batman issues for him to sign, but will I hate them?

He's definitely incompetent and idiotic. I found the second issue pretty hard to read. I think the third is better.

You might like it. It isn't a book that seems to be setting out to assassinate Booster Gold's character. It's just a loose interpretation of him, which is kind of typical of King's style. He picks out the threads of a character he finds interesting and exaggerates them, and in Booster's case those seem to be his more clownish elements.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'd say he starts as a goofball optimist in the face of the hellscape he made cause he's confident that it can be righted easily. I dunno if he's out of character there compared to, say, 52.
By the end of the arc he's spent 2-3 years flailing around trying to fix things, so I think the mental break is justified enough.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 17, 2018

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That was a good issue. Don’t know what changed with Booster since 52 Pick Up, but it was what I expected from our favorite time doofus.

I’m excited to see who else will be in Sanctuary. Poison Ivy and Booster are good choices. Maybe Wally West, or perhaps someone from a team like Suicide Squad or Doom Patrol.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Open Marriage Night posted:

That was a good issue. Don’t know what changed with Booster since 52 Pick Up, but it was what I expected from our favorite time doofus.

I’m excited to see who else will be in Sanctuary. Poison Ivy and Booster are good choices. Maybe Wally West, or perhaps someone from a team like Suicide Squad or Doom Patrol.

I know it won't happen but it'd be interesting to see Robotman in the support group, especially since he has to cope with suddenly not being a robot anymore.

That said, it'll probably be cyborg doing his normal cybord shtick.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

* two days short of one month.

If double shipping is good for anything it's getting arcs you don't like out the door :)

:stare: I swear it felt so much longer than that. And yes you do have a point for small blessings.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

good day for a bris posted:

I know it won't happen but it'd be interesting to see Robotman in the support group, especially since he has to cope with suddenly not being a robot anymore.

That said, it'll probably be cyborg doing his normal cybord shtick.

Beast Boy would be a good choice. He was in the Teen Titans and Doom Patrol.

I feel like there's a really good Superman scene waiting for Sanctuary.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Open Marriage Night posted:

A lot has been regressed for Booster. By the end of vol 2 and the Time Masters mini he was turning into a compentent and more serious hero who patrolled and protected the timeline (and the multiverse but that was seemingly forgotten) who still messed up but they were not catastrophic. New 52 changed him into just some canadian hero. Convergence brought back old Booster then the recent Action comics confirmed preflashpoint booster was back.

King threw it all away and made Booster an incompetent gently caress up again and ignored the biggest lesson from the best Booster Gold vol 2 arc.

Why yes i am a bit salty. This is my D_T moment.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mr Hootington posted:

A lot has been regressed for Booster. By the end of vol 2 and the Time Masters mini he was turning into a compentent and more serious hero who patrolled and protected the timeline (and the multiverse but that was seemingly forgotten) who still messed up but they were not catastrophic. New 52 changed him into just some canadian hero. Convergence brought back old Booster then the recent Action comics confirmed preflashpoint booster was back.

King threw it all away and made Booster an incompetent gently caress up again and ignored the biggest lesson from the best Booster Gold vol 2 arc.

Why yes i am a bit salty. This is my D_T moment.

While I understand 99% of what you said and mostly agree, what the heck is a D_T moment? Donald Trump?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The user Dark_Titzimine, who is infamous around here for his Red Hood love.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Roth posted:

The user Dark_Titzimine, who is infamous around here for his Red Hood love.

His proper name is Dark_TitsAnime.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I'm ducking the recent Red Hood are about Penguin and street crime, does this mean D_T considers it a masterful return to form?
Is the story still mostly about a trip of misfit friends?

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Sentinel Red posted:

Agreed. Plus presumably some setup for Gen 13 as well. Speaking of which, I am also loving John Lynch played Sam Elliott.

That's who it is, I was recognizing it but not enough to put a name on it. I liked Spartan's 'gently caress you' to Emp at the end, too.

BrianWilly posted:

Literal giant starfish Starro, just randomly on this team of superheroes.

I'm guessing it's so that hard decisions can be made. Part of the reason the whole thing got put together was because the Justice League unilaterally decided to 'bring hope' to the universe, unleashing all sorts of horror.

Really excited to see Vril Dox again.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Space Fish posted:

I'm ducking the recent Red Hood are about Penguin and street crime, does this mean D_T considers it a masterful return to form?

Is not really about street crime. The whole thing with Penguin lacks a proper context within the larger narrative Lobdell has been working on since issue 13. It is fun to see Jason troll Penguin at every turn but nothing more.

The series is still entertaining but I think RH/A was the best period of Lobdell regarding Jason.

quote:

Is the story still mostly about a trip of misfit friends?

Is more about a dysfunctional family now but the bulk of the writing is focused on Bizarro going through a Flowers for Algernon phase. It makes for some really powerful moments between Jason and Bizarro but after 10 issues is dragging a bit.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
well, there are sure as gently caress some references to planetary in the new wild storm, even if there's no hint of the team itself and ellis has said it wont' appear.

editi: oh, and it's really good, I should add - maybe the best issue so far. all the wheels are rolling and we don't have to spend a whole issue looking at people talking in a nondescript room. not that the issues so far have been bad - i've enjoyed this more than any other ongoing big 2 book - just that sometimes i'm sighing in irritation because it feels like things could be conveyed in a more interesting fashion. i like what ellis did with john colt and his relationship with emp. wondering if we'll get a spartan at some point who's a john colt scan as with the originals. what emp is up to remains enigmatic; i suspect because at the end of the day wildstorm is still a superhero universe emp will not be shown to be wholly immoral but there's doubtless a lot of grey to come. slayton being batshit crazy was cool and unexpected. surprised john lynch seems to lack powers - although slayton does say his alien parasite thinks lynch is different.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 17, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Thus Tomasi's Superman era ends on fuckin'. Salute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Neurosis posted:

well, there are sure as gently caress some references to planetary in the new wild storm, even if there's no hint of the team itself and ellis has said it wont' appear.

Oooh, what else was there? All I noticed was Science City Zero and the Four style governing of dividing up of the world and its tech, and the diner that looked very much like the one Elijah used to hang out in.

Having never read any Wildcats stuff except the great Stormwatch finalé/murderfest crossover, a lot of that side of things is kinda lost on me so I didn't realise that guy was Spartan. I am really enjoying seeing all the alternate versions of the characters though.