Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'll be making lots of purchases at Home Depot soon. Do they have membership cards or credit cards or whatever that are worth getting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
They used to. Then they said gently caress it. The lowes one gives you 5% off on every purchase.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

I don't think you want to use pressure treated wood, it has some nasty stuff in it even today. Definitely don't want to breath any sawdust from it especially, but I wouldn't want to sit on it either. I also can't imagine it taking stain very well.

No wood expert but I'd just get some kiln dried regular 2x4s/2x6's, they are dried in a kiln (surprise!) so they should be ready to go and not warp nearly as much as the crappy wet pressure treated stuff from Home Depot which tend to turn into hockey sticks when they dry out. They make mill glaze remover too for fresh wood before you stain it, though I haven't actually used the packets we got, just let it sit out a few months before staining the first time, though not much absorbs until the second year.

sadus fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 16, 2018

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

sadus posted:

I don't think you want to use pressure treated wood, it has some nasty stuff in it even today. Definitely don't want to breath any sawdust from it especially, but I wouldn't want to sit on it either. I also can't imagine it taking stain very well.

No wood expert but I'd just get some kiln dried regular 2x4s/2x6's, they are dried in a kiln (surprise!) so they should be ready to go and not warp nearly as much as the crappy wet pressure treated stuff from Home Depot which tend to turn into hockey sticks when they dry out. They make mill glaze remover too for fresh wood before you stain it, though I haven't actually used the packets we got, just let it sit out a few months before staining the first time, though not much absorbs until the second year.

I've already built two pieces of the four-piece sectional I'm making, and I have the lumber, so that ship has sailed. But I'll do more research and take this into account when I make the additional pieces I intend (a sleeper chair, an ottoman/coffee table, and a prep station/cabinet for the grill). Also I'll make sure to wear my mask! On the plus side this furniture will ultimately have cushions on it and is armless - so there won't be skin contact with it.

edit: it looks like modern treated lumber probably falls pretty low on the "carcinogens you come into contact daily" scale but after I finish this sectional I'll probably make the lounge chair out of kiln dried. Pressure treated lumber is probably a bit overkill anyhow as it's an above-ground deck that's covered - it gets plenty wet due to wind, but probably less than it would in the open. Though I did notice after I bought it that my building's decks are built from pressure-treated wood.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 16, 2018

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

enraged_camel posted:

I'll be making lots of purchases at Home Depot soon. Do they have membership cards or credit cards or whatever that are worth getting?

Just made a crapton of purchases from Lowes. Basically, get their credit card for the 5% off whatever you buy. Then use the coupons located here which refreshes every 30 minutes and you can get either 10% off your entire order, $10 off $50, or $20 off $100. Then if you want to save even a bit more, eBay/Paypal w/e usually sell gift cards for 10% off which you can use a maximum of 5 in a single transaction.

Now if you are deadset on using Home Depot, the only thing you can do really is use the online coupons since those are the coupons that you normally get in the mail when you move/change your address. They don't send separate Lowe's and Home Depot coupons anymore, just Lowe's. So what you can do is use the Lowe's coupons at Home Depot, but if you buy it online, Lowe's has to have the same product in stock ready to ship, the same price, blah blah.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Etrips posted:

Just made a crapton of purchases from Lowes. Basically, get their credit card for the 5% off whatever you buy. Then use the coupons located here which refreshes every 30 minutes and you can get either 10% off your entire order, $10 off $50, or $20 off $100. Then if you want to save even a bit more, eBay/Paypal w/e usually sell gift cards for 10% off which you can use a maximum of 5 in a single transaction.

Now if you are deadset on using Home Depot, the only thing you can do really is use the online coupons since those are the coupons that you normally get in the mail when you move/change your address. They don't send separate Lowe's and Home Depot coupons anymore, just Lowe's. So what you can do is use the Lowe's coupons at Home Depot, but if you buy it online, Lowe's has to have the same product in stock ready to ship, the same price, blah blah.

I'm basically waiting until Memorial Day Weekend for appliance sales. At that point I'll buy a fridge, a washer and a dryer. I got the impression that the discounts are only in-store and don't apply to the online store, so my only option is to go to the store in person. Just need to understand the best way to get the most discounts.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
You should just go in store and negotiate those things. My washer & dryer were 770 / 850 and we got them for 500 a piece.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

sadus posted:

You don't want to breathe sawdust regardless of what kind of wood it is or whether or not it's been treated.

And pressure-treated wood that you can buy at the hardware store these days is nontoxic to humans, a long time ago arsenic treatments were used but now it's all copper-based. It will accept stains just like untreated wood if you let it dry out first.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Sepist posted:

You should just go in store and negotiate those things. My washer & dryer were 770 / 850 and we got them for 500 a piece.

How exactly do you negotiate in these types of situations? As an extreme introvert, I really have no idea and am being genuinely curious.

Content:

What can I do to hide the concrete wall in my garage so it doesn't look terrible?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Etrips posted:

How exactly do you negotiate in these types of situations? As an extreme introvert, I really have no idea and am being genuinely curious.

Content:

What can I do to hide the concrete wall in my garage so it doesn't look terrible?

The little few inches of concrete on the bottom? Have you tried painting it white? Or you know, ignoring it?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Etrips posted:

"What can you do for me on this? Looks like I can get what I need <other place> for $475 and they won't charge me for delivery."

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

H110Hawk posted:

The little few inches of concrete on the bottom? Have you tried painting it white? Or you know, ignoring it?

Well, I plan on completely redoing the garage with Swisstrax flooring, new paint on walls/ceiling, lighting, etc. The concrete at the bottom will be a gigantic eyesore with all of that done.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Without refinishing the whole thing you could try to mud in a strip of drywall along the base of your existing drywall. Might end up looking worse than just concrete, though.

What might look “classier” is to have a long toe kick that runs the length of the wall installed.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Etrips posted:

Well, I plan on completely redoing the garage with Swisstrax flooring, new paint on walls/ceiling, lighting, etc. The concrete at the bottom will be a gigantic eyesore with all of that done.

Just get some of the rubber baseboard moulding. It comes in rolls and you put it up with construction adhesive.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Flooring-Vinyl-Flooring-Resilient-Flooring-Wall-Base/N-5yc1vZbodt

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Motronic posted:

"What can you do for me on this? Looks like I can get what I need <other place> for $475 and they won't charge me for delivery."

I'm not convinced. Both HD and Lowe's do free delivery (at least around here) and prices are competitive.

Speaking of washer and dryers, what are some things to pay attention to? I think my only real requirement is that they need to be stackable, so both need to be front-loaders. Are there any features that add to convenience noticeably?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

enraged_camel posted:

I'm not convinced. Both HD and Lowe's do free delivery (at least around here) and prices are competitive.

Speaking of washer and dryers, what are some things to pay attention to? I think my only real requirement is that they need to be stackable, so both need to be front-loaders. Are there any features that add to convenience noticeably?

Don't get digital. Just adds more failure points.

qmark
Nov 21, 2005

College Slice

enraged_camel posted:

I have heard (from an appliance repair guy that kept getting sent to my last apartment to fix the W/D) that Samsung ones are known to fail after about 5 years so maybe look into that.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Etrips posted:

Content:

Fill the entire perimeter with work benches, storage and tools so you can’t see the wall at all. Or paint it. Maybe plaster it and paint it.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
If you're going to get a washer and dryer you should just get the Speed Queen 5 series in both and never have to deal with them again.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I was asking the nice old salesman at the appliance section of Home Depot and he shared with me the :siren:top secret tip:siren: that their Memorial Day sale actually starts tomorrow. Really nice of him. Probably saved me several hundred dollars, since I was ready to pull the trigger on a washer and dryer combo, and possibly a fridge too.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

enraged_camel posted:

Meh, here's my receipt. You can look up the model # and see they went for a lot more in store.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Etrips posted:

Speedqueen. If they can survive laundromats at a profit surely they can do your own home laundry for several decades.

Not fancy, but very functional.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

If you're going to get a washer and dryer you should just get the Speed Queen 5 series in both and never have to deal with them again.

:hifive: or whatever that is supposed to be. You get me point.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Apparently Speedqueen made some changes to their 2018 models that, according to some industry guys, help them perform better on tests vs. front loaders but actually clean the clothes worse than previous models.

https://thewirecutter.com/blog/speed-queen-washer/

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

FCKGW posted:

Apparently Speedqueen made some changes to their 2018 models that, according to some industry guys, help them perform better on tests vs. front loaders but actually clean the clothes worse than previous models.

https://thewirecutter.com/blog/speed-queen-washer/

This is devastating news.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Bought a house in January. Since then: a wind storm blew off a ton of shingles, in the middle of replacing a roof. Two nights ago heavy rains caused my basement to flood and sump pump to fail. 6 inches of water, finished basement, whole thing is destroyed. Have two teams of contractors at my house tearing everything apart.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Speaking of furniture building, just got a countersink set for screws and man, was I stupid to not predrill/countersink before. Not only does doing so prevent splitting, but I think it probably takes less time to do the predrilling and then screw versus fight with the screw all the way. Definitely saves screwdriver bits too.

I'll get this poo poo figured out yet.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Nail Rat posted:

Speaking of furniture building, just got a countersink set for screws and man, was I stupid to not predrill/countersink before. Not only does doing so prevent splitting, but I think it probably takes less time to do the predrilling and then screw versus fight with the screw all the way. Definitely saves screwdriver bits too.

Get a pocket screw kreg jig

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Nail Rat posted:

If you're fighting the screw, then I'd guess you're still trying to use Phillips-head screws. gently caress 'em, get star/square (torx/robertson) head screws. The pain from wrestling with Phillips-head screws is not worth the $.02/screw you save, or whatever it is. Spax self-tapping screws are amazing things.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

brugroffil posted:

Get a pocket screw kreg jig

I'm planning to do that eventually.

quote:

If you're fighting the screw, then I'd guess you're still trying to use Phillips-head screws. gently caress 'em, get star/square (torx/robertson) head screws. The pain from wrestling with Phillips-head screws is not worth the $.02/screw you save, or whatever it is. Spax self-tapping screws are amazing things.

Well either way I'm not fighting with it at all after doing predrilling - which I'll be doing either way due to helping avoid splitting - but I'll look into torx screws next time I'm at Home Depot.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Home Depot Extended Warranty worth it for appliances?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This is devastating news.

Looking at a follow up since then it looks like they have 3 tiers, a consumer line and two commercial lines. The consumer line changed their agitation mechanics to be quieter and gentler on clothes but has the side of affect of not being as effective at cleaning heavily soiled clothes. The commercial lines are still available and are unchanged.

Either way the quality of the product seems to be the same so it’s not all bad news.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

veiled boner fuel posted:

Landscaping update. I decided to wait for two reasons, one I wanted to make sure there weren't any winter drainage issues which would undoubtedly be blamed on my landscaping, and two, hoping a neighbor would get theirs landscaped and I'd be able to see how it worked.

And the latter happened. It's kind of an edge case since they literally patio'd 95% of the flat part of their backyard, but what they did was make a ramp out of plywood and used it to both dump the patio substrate down (with a guy stationed in the middle to help it along with a shovel) and also to slide the patio pavers down.

But I think river rock will slide down the ramp better than the poo poo you put under patios, so seems like a pretty good solution. They moved enough stuff down the ramp in a day with only a few guys to make the base of a ~3500 square foot patio, so...

Anyway I'll probably contact the same company soon and try and get something set up for the spring.

Another landscaping update, work has begun, on the rainiest week in years, so work immediately ground to a halt.

But they did manage to get a Bobcat down the death slope without toppling over or running into my house, and they buried the three gutter spouts and ran them out to the edge of the hill so they can drain away from my foundation and without eroding my yard. Hopefully.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

Bought a house in January. Since then: a wind storm blew off a ton of shingles, in the middle of replacing a roof. Two nights ago heavy rains caused my basement to flood and sump pump to fail. 6 inches of water, finished basement, whole thing is destroyed. Have two teams of contractors at my house tearing everything apart.

How's your insurance?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Etrips posted:

Wait, you mean a fully mechanical unit? No humidity sensor in the dryer or anything?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Etrips posted:

It's a garage, dude.

I fully appreciate painting and putting in flooring and what not, but I still can't see freaking out about a concrete lip. My last house was a model and the garage is where they put various materials so people could look at them so it had all kinds of lighting and the walls were textured and painted and it even had baseboards. But the baseboards were still installed above a 4" concrete lip.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So I found out today that my new house supports gas dryer, but not electric. I'm told that I need to bring in special wiring for electric dryer?

I don't know anything about dryers. Is electric "better"? Is it gonna be worth the hassle or should I just get a gas dryer?

This is what the dryer "area" looks like:

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

So I found out today that my new house supports gas dryer, but not electric. I'm told that I need to bring in special wiring for electric dryer?

I don't know anything about dryers. Is electric "better"? Is it gonna be worth the hassle or should I just get a gas dryer?

This is what the dryer "area" looks like:

Dryers require a 220V supply and that outlet is def 110V, so there’s your first issue.

Why not just go with the gas dryer?

I guess it depends on the utility costs in your area. I’m in CT so if I had a line for gas to the house I would probably go for the gas. I have a wife, two kids and a mother in law living in the house, so we are doing quite a bit of laundry. I probably spend $200 a year in electricity cost for the dryer alone.

Sock The Great fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 18, 2018

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Sock The Great posted:

Most dryers require a 220V plug and that outlet is def 110V, so there’s your first issue.

Why not just go with the gas dryer?

Why not? No idea. I don't know anything about dryers. What advantages does electric have over gas?

Does getting a 220V outlet involve a lot of hassle/money?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

Why not? No idea. I don't know anything about dryers. What advantages does electric have over gas?

Does getting a 220V outlet involve a lot of hassle/money?

It depends on the electric rates in your area. Google tells me that a gas dryer ranges between 15-33 cents per load, while an electric is 32-41 cents per load.

Also do you have natural gas coming into your house or is it liquid propane? If it’s liquid propane then you will need a special adapter.

I would say en electrician would charge at least a couple hundred to install a new 240V box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Electrician would have to rerun an electrical wire since you're currently using...14/2 I think, and 30amp service would require 10/2 wiring. That alone makes it not worth it