Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

TheBigAristotle posted:

I like the idea of flamers on Aggressors in a mixed unit. Not sure why, am I wrong here? I've only gone with the bolters, but I figure if I'm not getting special ammo, I might as well bring something that's gonna cause a lot of hurt when I close ground with my opponent

Any time you're playing against something that doesn't want to charge you, or can charge you without overwatch, or is charging from over 8", that aggressor is wasted points. While yes, it lets you advance and shoot without a penalty, you're paying an extra 20 points for that and losing a normal models shooting. If you really want to take it for the slight added mobility you're better off with the boltstorm gauntlets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

Any time you're playing against something that doesn't want to charge you, or can charge you without overwatch, or is charging from over 8", that aggressor is wasted points. While yes, it lets you advance and shoot without a penalty, you're paying an extra 20 points for that and losing a normal models shooting. If you really want to take it for the slight added mobility you're better off with the boltstorm gauntlets.

This is true. I'm probably just affected by the thought of buying the easy-to-builds for cheap.

This seems fun:

I suppose you deserve some fun if you have the patience to paint a goddamn Harlequins army

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I think the Flamer Aggressors, comboed with the Inceptor granted rule are cool.

If the Aggressors aren't engaged in melee, the other models in the squad pull out of melee, and since the Aggressors didn't move so they get to double shoot and double overwatch.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Booley posted:

I think it's going to be 9 intercessors and 1 inceptor. Special issue ammo lets them handle a wide range of targets, and the inceptor lets them fall back out of melee and still shoot. Adding anything else dilutes the squad.

I'm not sure how you're "diluting" anything. Default intercessors aren't bad, but they just aren't as good of a unit as aggressors or hellblasters. SIA brings them up to par, but Hellblasters and Aggressors still offer pretty solid advantages.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

dexefiend posted:

I think the Flamer Aggressors, comboed with the Inceptor granted rule are cool.

If the Aggressors aren't engaged in melee, the other models in the squad pull out of melee, and since the Aggressors didn't move so they get to double shoot and double overwatch.

And this is going to happen once, twice a game? Assuming you're playing against someone who wants to be in melee with you and doesn't see it coming, or is too slow to avoid getting charged by a unit that has to walk across the board?

It's cool, but I would hesitate to call it competitive.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Booley posted:

And this is going to happen once, twice a game? Assuming you're playing against someone who wants to be in melee with you and doesn't see it coming, or is too slow to avoid getting charged by a unit that has to walk across the board?

Honestly if you could reliably do it once or twice a game it'd probably be good, I just doubt that you'd get it off at all against most armies.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Shockeh posted:

E: Also, for the 'pure' Deathwatch, the Primaris deployed directly to the Chapter via the Ultima Founding, (mentioned on the fluff page) what should their shoulder pad look like, do you think? Colour? Icon?

I’d be tempted to treat them as Blackshields but that’s kind of boring. Maybe some cross between the Ultramarines U and the Inquisition =I= ?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Booley posted:

Yeah. I am a scrub. I just thought it would be cool. :shrug:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Painting the skull hands that are on top of LotD hands made me think: why in gods name is there not a LOTD special character that uses lightning claws shaped like flaming skeleton hands

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I occasionally forget Deathwatch is able to drop 1-3 CP to deep strike 1-3 units.

The only issue being that it's gonna be hard to maintain a good balance and run two detachments. I guess a Battalion and Vanguard? I dunno help me out here

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Looks like it’s the contents of two start collecting boxes + 2 robot boxes.

I think you’ll have more fun with more bigass 50’s robots on the field and it’ll be easier to make that a well rounded army if you start from there.

Yeah both lists are made of 2 start collecting boxes and 4 others. I definitely see what you mean when you say the AdMech list is more well-rounded, but would that list even stand a chance in regular store matched play? Hell, would either of these?

AdMech pros:
•look neat
•have at least a little close combat
•interesting and variable rules
cons
•more difficult to paint
•everything is very slowww

Militarum pros:
•deployment done after plopping down 6 tanks
•seems like it would be quick to play
•lots of heavy bolters and battle cannons sounds like it would shred
•deep striking scions adds a little bit of variation
•I like scions and tauroxes
•easy to add on to by adding psykers, assassins, indirect fire, etc
Cons:
•is 6 tanks lovely at 1500 points?
•would be reduced to just the leman russes in 1-2 turns
•russes are ugly boring models
•no close combat ability at all

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Boom.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Inceptor Progress: Done. Total Time: 28:03

What should I do next; 5 Intercessors or reward myself for getting to 500 points with an Armiger?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

:hellyeah:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

nice job mate. is that time in minutes or hours?

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008
My first Forgeworld model.

Ive been quietly working on some 40k alpha legion in the 30k scheme. Will post the whole gang when i can be bothered taking some decent pics.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

dexefiend posted:

Just bought Deathwatch codex. Currently ordering PopGoesTheMonkey Deathwatch stuff, and Guardian Spear bits off ebay.

Oh, and ordering 10 Intercessors (for auto bolt rifles), and aggressors 7-9.

This hobby.

NO

HOWLING GRIFFONS

FOCUS

Awesome. I still can't believe that ridiculous scheme looks so good.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

nice job mate. is that time in minutes or hours?

Weeks.

Speckled Jim posted:

Ive been quietly working on some 40k alpha legion in the 30k scheme. Will post the whole gang when i can be bothered taking some decent pics.

Hell yeah. Love the scales.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Q: Do the range increases/decreases on SIA for Deathwatch affect the Rapid Fire range? Because rapid firing bolt rifles at 18” -2 seems pretty legit.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Shockeh posted:

Q: Do the range increases/decreases on SIA for Deathwatch affect the Rapid Fire range? Because rapid firing bolt rifles at 18” -2 seems pretty legit.

Yes.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
They do.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

TheChirurgeon posted:

What are you looking for? I've got a ton of extras

That’s kind of you thank you, but I’m a Brit goon and I have it in my head you’re on the other side of the pond. Anyway I’m happy for this to be a slow grow project - I’ve been picking up basic Marines / Primaris from eBay so I’m glad there’s something making me go “slow down”. Also I’ve got Orks, 1K sons, and bits of general Chaos to either start or finish, and two little ones - so my hobby progress is slow, but the models are so so pretty...

There’s been some good chat these past pages and some lovely models posted everyone.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Speckled Jim posted:

gently caress yeah. That metallic blue is great and it's always nice to see the scale motif on Alpha Legion stuff. However, I think you should do another pass on that heat staining. I use a similar transition on my meltas and I always go for two passes with some overlap between shades. Like this:

One pass is just too light, it's really obvious where the shades transition into each other, and the base metallic shines through too much.

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

gently caress yeah. That metallic blue is great and it's always nice to see the scale motif on Alpha Legion stuff. However, I think you should do another pass on that heat staining. I use a similar transition on my meltas and I always go for two passes with some overlap between shades. Like this:

One pass is just too light, it's really obvious where the shades transition into each other, and the base metallic shines through too much.

Some sound advice. I will give it another pass next time the paints come out.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

A friend of mine at our local painted this as a commission for another dude. The base knight was an eBay rescue job in a complete poo poo state with an awful white paintjob slopped on. The finished product is pretty great:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Whoever did the commission was worth whatever they charged.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Corrode posted:

A friend of mine at our local painted this as a commission for another dude. The base knight was an eBay rescue job in a complete poo poo state with an awful white paintjob slopped on. The finished product is pretty great:

:aaa:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
That's fuckin' incredible

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What's a good lens colour for purple armour? I've tried bright blue which seems best. I can't get anything to really pop though and I like it when marines have little glowy eyes looking at u.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Yellow?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah I tried but I'm not getting it to work right, they just look kind of sickly yellow. I might have another go when I get home.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Haven't tried it but how about white eyes with a light purple ink?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

JBP posted:

What's a good lens colour for purple armour? I've tried bright blue which seems best. I can't get anything to really pop though and I like it when marines have little glowy eyes looking at u.

Light Green you dummy

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

JBP posted:

Orange

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Trying to get a shift on for a Warhammer world game on Sunday, here's how it's going.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Deathwatch bolt rifles kinda sound like an amazing answer to custodes. Hellfire shells wounding on a rerollable 2+ with ap-1 is going to be pretty powerful.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I am loving that bright yellow.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
That blue + white trim is awesome, those minis are going to look amazing :)

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

Deathwatch bolt rifles kinda sound like an amazing answer to custodes. Hellfire shells wounding on a rerollable 2+ with ap-1 is going to be pretty powerful.

I got to use null zone to turn off the invulnerable saves for like 800pts of custodes including a telemon in a team game yesterday which was rather satisfying.

Unsurprisingly they all died.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

jadebullet posted:

I am loving that bright yellow.
It's a white spray and then the GW yellow shade over it. In person it's quite patchy, so for #2 I'm going to have it thinned down with Lamium Medium and do three or four coats of it. The Warglaive is a pretty good model to do this on as it's a lot of smooth panels.

Neurolimal posted:

That blue + white trim is awesome, those minis are going to look amazing :)
Thanks! Doing the white is a pain in the rear end but It's worth it when they get onto the table :)

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

I got to use null zone to turn off the invulnerable saves for like 800pts of custodes including a telemon in a team game yesterday which was rather satisfying.

Unsurprisingly they all died.

What kind of librarian/loadout did you use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TheBigAristotle posted:

What kind of librarian/loadout did you use?

It was just a primaris librarian, jump librarians would of course be much better for it since then you could advance much further.