Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Scrummy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Probably a British thing, they love "toddler language" over there.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I am not a picky eater, but I will never eat food that reminds me of rugby.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
My local news telling me three things I NEED to know:

- Two crackheads shot each other downtown last night

- Some guy OD'd in his car

- The bride's father might not show up for the Royal Wedding

Pet peeve: The News.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Local news in particular is such poo poo. Don't forget the stories about the kitty rescued from that big tree at the corner of Lancaster and McCormick or the interview with a local woman who, a decade back, honeymooned very near to Mt. Kilauea.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hirayuki posted:

Local news in particular is such poo poo. Don't forget the stories about the kitty rescued from that big tree at the corner of Lancaster and McCormick or the interview with a local woman who, a decade back, honeymooned very near to Mt. Kilauea.

Things happening in Cincinnati:

- A hard push for gentrification in order to convert to a major league soccer team after a successful inaugural season.

- 16 year old kid was killed by his own mini-van (this made national news).

- Rich white girl drove a Tesla over 100mph and killed/maimed everyone in the car.

- Opioids, lots and lots of opioids.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

MightyJoe36 posted:

My local news telling me three things I NEED to know:

- Two crackheads shot each other downtown last night

- Some guy OD'd in his car

- The bride's father might not show up for the Royal Wedding

Pet peeve: The News.

Oh my god, tell me about it. Some jackoff sheriff's deputy was killed over in Highlands county and they loving broke into live TV to cover the funeral precession!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That van kid story is horrifying.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That van kid story is horrifying.

Well, yeah, but it's one of the 4 stories that has been in the local news daily for the last month. Although the stories on that one have shifted to the local 911 system and cops being lazy fuckers.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

It's an amalgamation of yummy and scrumptious that is the sole reason to dislike The Great British Bake-Off.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Can we add "om nom nom" to the list please?

YES.
Also "nummy".
A guy I was on a date once referred to his steak as "nummy in my tummy".
They never found his body.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Anyone whose first words when they call you is "it's me", particularly if it's someone you don't have stored in your phone or they are calling a landline. Stop doing that.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

i'm probably a giant peeve for tons of people but my phone has been set on do not disturb for 2 years and it's improved my life so much

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
... by cutting off all contact with people polite enough to respect a DND message?

e: whoops nevermind, thought you meant like on chat. Yeah that makes sense.

Whiz Palace has a new favorite as of 21:08 on May 16, 2018

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm much happier as the guy who reaches out than the person people contact. I keep my phone off alot but everybody I know can get in touch with me through other means if they need it.

I'm not a hermit I just enjoy my peace and quiet :shobon:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Whiz Palace posted:

... by cutting off all contact with people polite enough to respect a DND message?

What message? DND makes my phone not ring ever.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jimmy Kimmel is so deathly afraid of animals. He has a frequent animal expert guest named Dave Salmoni and if any creature that is remotely unusual comes out Kimmel runs behind his desk or whatever. At first I thought it was an act but after seeing this for over 10 years I think he's genuinely a bitch.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Anyone whose first words when they call you is "it's me", particularly if it's someone you don't have stored in your phone or they are calling a landline. Stop doing that.

Stupid rear end Adele!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Jimmy Kimmel is so deathly afraid of animals. He has a frequent animal expert guest named Dave Salmoni and if any creature that is remotely unusual comes out Kimmel runs behind his desk or whatever. At first I thought it was an act but after seeing this for over 10 years I think he's genuinely a bitch.

He's also just not very funny. At least conan tries to pet everything (even if everything is scripted and the handler probably had to sign endless amounts of waivers in case the thing hurt him) and is occasionally funny.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Agent355 posted:

I'm much happier as the guy who reaches out than the person people contact. I keep my phone off alot but everybody I know can get in touch with me through other means if they need it.

I'm not a hermit I just enjoy my peace and quiet :shobon:

Yeah I’m with you

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Honkers.
I deliver pizza and we are asked to count to three before going at a green light to avoid wrecks from people speeding through to beat it. Every few days I have some rear end in a top hat start laying on their horn at the 1-2 second mark. It's always some dick in a jacked up dick replacement truck infuriated at the tiny Fiat daring to get in their way.
I swear one of these days I'm going to follow one of those fuckers home, pull out my 3 foot long maglight flashlight/bludgeon, and you'll read about the slaughter in the news.
My slaughter. Because they will probably murder me.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'd honk too. Your 3s count is right about the point where I assume you're not paying attention.

Do you have a dash cam or something that your boss would check in the event of an accident or are you worried about traffic cams? Why adhere to corporate rear end covering policy when it's mostly there to cover their own rear end? You drive to and from work successfully I assume, why wouldn't you drive the same with a delivery? It's not like you're toting an organ transplant or something.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just put a thumbnail of yourself crying and get millions of views. Cheer up, assholes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I haven’t delivered but I’ve cooked delivery food, and I’d happily pay taxes to give our drivers universal dash cams and even body cams.
I’d also happily support a federal law that abolished tipping, it’s kinda bullshit to pass costs onto the customer and it’s extra bullshit how servers can make hella cash on a busy day while cooks get the exact same pay whether they’re standing around at 3 on a tuesday or busting rear end at 10 on a friday

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Stairs posted:

The words "yummy", "ooey gooey", and "scrummy". gently caress off, you sound like you're speaking toddler language and the sound of it puts me off food...

To piggy back this: Any food/recipe that has a value judgement in the name. "Ooey gooey, super awesome, impossible, fun-fun, chocolate cake."

"Chocolate cake" works fine for a name. Your recipe comes from the Better Homes and Gardens recipe book and you know it. It's a good recipe and it's just called "Chocolate Cake" in the book.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The bland homogenizing of food blogs has made me kinda sad, I miss the days of like, blogger.com food blogs where even if they were lovely sometimes they all were really, actually written by people who were just trying to put their recipes up. Now every food blog is stupid fairy nonsense about scrumptious yummo no-gluten tofu paella that's best cooked with this [brand] spatula. Everything is an ad now and nothing is personal.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He's also just not very funny. At least conan tries to pet everything (even if everything is scripted and the handler probably had to sign endless amounts of waivers in case the thing hurt him) and is occasionally funny.

Say what you will about Jay Leno but I loved that the guy was ecstatic about pretty much all animals. He wasn't afraid of anything.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He was afraid of losing his show

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I haven’t delivered but I’ve cooked delivery food, and I’d happily pay taxes to give our drivers universal dash cams and even body cams.
I’d also happily support a federal law that abolished tipping, it’s kinda bullshit to pass costs onto the customer and it’s extra bullshit how servers can make hella cash on a busy day while cooks get the exact same pay whether they’re standing around at 3 on a tuesday or busting rear end at 10 on a friday

I agree! That's why I will go grab a pack of smokes or a trenta frappucino for an insider and not ask for money. It's bullshit I get 4.25 an hour, but even more bullshit that I get tipped when I didn't make poo poo.

Inspector 34 posted:

I'd honk too. Your 3s count is right about the point where I assume you're not paying attention.

Do you have a dash cam or something that your boss would check in the event of an accident or are you worried about traffic cams? Why adhere to corporate rear end covering policy when it's mostly there to cover their own rear end? You drive to and from work successfully I assume, why wouldn't you drive the same with a delivery? It's not like you're toting an organ transplant or something.

As for the honking no, you wouldn't honk if you're normal because the three count is nothing. I do it out of work now too actually because it's really smart. There's a lot of assholes who run lights and I've saved my own rear end using it numerous times. When I say "honk" I don't mean "toot toot" I mean laying down on the horn like it's attached to their life force. Like you do when you're trying to let someone know they're entering certain death.

Stairs has a new favorite as of 05:11 on May 17, 2018

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
... why aren’t you just looking left, then right, like you’re supposed to?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

You don't have to peel out like you're at the indy 500 the millisecond it turns green, but 3 seconds is too long. If I wasn't stopped behind you and was just driving normally up to the light and I had to come to a stop I'd definitely honk. 99% of the time I'll be justified because the person will have their head down looking at their phone, not trying to be safer. It doesn't seem safer anyway unless it's in heavy traffic because you're increasing the risk of getting rear-ended.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I’m just imagining people staring straight, counting slowly to three, then going. Without looking both ways. Because counting till 3 is enough, right?

I’ve been driving for 17 years, much of it in the city where everyone blows red lights, but also the suburbs where there’s a lot of drunks, and have never had an even close call cause I LOOK LEFT AND LOOK RIGHT. You don’t just kinda move your eye, you look far down the street, you’ll see the speeding morons in a millisecond. (Obviously you can’t do this if there is obstructed vision, trees or whatever, so that doesn’t count). Granted you probably won’t catch a drunk or a guy running from the police going 100mph but this process takes MAYBE a minute, but more like 30 seconds.

And then when I see it’s safe I peel out like it’s the Indy 500. Not really but a peeve is people who touch their gas with a feather once green comes on. Push down more!!!!! It should not take you 5 min to go from 0-30.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 07:00 on May 17, 2018

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

mostlygray posted:

To piggy back this: Any food/recipe that has a value judgement in the name. "Ooey gooey, super awesome, impossible, fun-fun, chocolate cake."

"Chocolate cake" works fine for a name. Your recipe comes from the Better Homes and Gardens recipe book and you know it. It's a good recipe and it's just called "Chocolate Cake" in the book.
My girlfriend bought a baking book recently that focuses on classic cakes, and while the recipes themselves are perfectly straightforward, each is introduced with a little nostalgic blurb. "Ah the days of family gatherings at grandma's house, we were always bored when the grown-ups were talking but we'd get to play in the garden with an old bone and half a brick until we were called in for this cake." I hate this book with a passion. it's such obvious emotional impact marketing. Even the layout of them gets on my nerves. Always three lines, centered, they're like lovely sappy haikus.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 08:52 on May 17, 2018

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

mostlygray posted:

Counterpoint: I have a recipe for a "decadent Irish coffee chocolate cake" and that adjective is absolutely needed in the title, because holy poo poo that thing is a glorious diet-slaughtering slab of calorie overload.

It also at one point has you "beat the mixture like you're working for a dominatrix and get paid per slap", so yeah.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 09:37 on May 17, 2018

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Overheard a few moms the other day. One was talking about how their kid was "finally growing into a girl" and how it was about time because only a few weeks ago "we went shopping and they had all those cute pink Hello Kitty pyjamas and what does she go for, the blue Batman pyjamas for boys". Then they started shipping the 5-6 year old girl and toddler they had with them. "Oh he's always looking at Emily isn't he, always flirting with Emily." Yeah maybe ask Emily sometime how she feels about you making her into a passive object of affection for boys who don't yet have object permanence.

so I guess my pet peeve is parents mindlessly propagating traditional gender identities and gender-based social dynamics or maybe I just need to cut way down on my reading the Guardian

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's a bit of a worry I have for when/if I have children. I want them to choose for themselves, if they like trains or dinosaurs or pretty dresses or castles or whatever. But I'm thinking about how much influence other people are going to have, if they're going to unconsciously push "traditional gender roles" on them, or treat them badly for not conforming to them.

I guess the only thing I can do is be the best possible inspiration and influence, and hope it works out.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My son never liked dinosaurs; he prefers Hello Kitty. He's almost twelve and the most confident and self-assured person I know. I think it helps if you have supportive family and friends who don't try to snatch your kid's preferred toy away in favor of something more "appropriate".

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Overheard a few moms the other day. One was talking about how their kid was "finally growing into a girl" and how it was about time because only a few weeks ago "we went shopping and they had all those cute pink Hello Kitty pyjamas and what does she go for, the blue Batman pyjamas for boys". Then they started shipping the 5-6 year old girl and toddler they had with them. "Oh he's always looking at Emily isn't he, always flirting with Emily." Yeah maybe ask Emily sometime how she feels about you making her into a passive object of affection for boys who don't yet have object permanence.

so I guess my pet peeve is parents mindlessly propagating traditional gender identities and gender-based social dynamics or maybe I just need to cut way down on my reading the Guardian

And yet it's apparently us gays who are the ones forcing our sexuality on people :downs:

I was a huge tomboy growing up because I hated having "girly" stuff forced on me and constantly being told that I'd like it all when I was older. Combined with me repressing the fact I was into girls, I grew up really fuckin hating my own gender and didn't get over it until I was like 20.

Let your kids like what they want to like.

Also, my pet peeve is that I don't have an asbestos mouth and food takes too long to cool down

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

^^^^ My sister's gay (or possibly bi, but definitely the gay end), and I know she doesn't give a poo poo about traditional gender roles.

Also +1 on the asbestos mouth thing. Food that's just too loving hot is my kryptonite.

Hirayuki posted:

My son never liked dinosaurs; he prefers Hello Kitty. He's almost twelve and the most confident and self-assured person I know. I think it helps if you have supportive family and friends who don't try to snatch your kid's preferred toy away in favor of something more "appropriate".

Luckily I don't think anyone in my family (or my girlfriend's family) would do that. The worst would probably be a slightly too gender-specific birthday present or christmas gift here or there.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 13:53 on May 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

My Lovely Horse posted:

. "Oh he's always looking at Emily isn't he, always flirting with Emily." Yeah maybe ask Emily sometime how she feels about you making her into a passive object of affection for boys who don't yet have object permanence.

I fuuuuuuucking hate this poo poo. Like my mate's wee boy, she called him a flirt one day when he was talking to me and I really hope my visceral disgust showed on my face and that's why she never said it again.

She's p good about gender roles normally tho, he got a full kitchen set for Xmas and she did enjoy telling me about all her older relatives reaction to him getting GIRL TOYS. Delicious conservative-catholic tears.