Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cabbit posted:

I mean, if you've healed in any other MMO this is a legitimate concern-- both the tank dying, and the party giving you hells of poo poo about it, even if the tank in question is an absolute twit. It's difficult to shake the mindset that failing to babysit the tank or a gaggle of idiot DPS for even a few GCDs will result in idiots dying.

Clearly that's not the case in this game, but it's very much the exception rather than the rule.

healers are shitheads who actually believe everyone else is stupid and its their divine task to guide them to victory, by playing poorly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Countblanc posted:

healers are shitheads who actually believe everyone else is stupid and its their divine task to guide them to victory, by outDPSing the rest of the party
FTFY

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Countblanc posted:

healers are shitheads who actually believe everyone else is stupid and its their divine task to guide them to victory, by playing poorly
Same but instead its my divine task to save the party by chain casting holy

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Every time I have to cast a heal in ADR I feel a great shame within me.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Countblanc posted:

healers are shitheads who correctly believe everyone else is stupid and its their divine task to guide them to victory

ftfy

Also, from a static I sometimes sub in for:

heterophobia is a real thing in Eorzea, and that's terrible.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

ftfy

Also, from a static I sometimes sub in for:

heterophobia is a real thing in Eorzea, and that's terrible.

The whole cat harem thing in SB doesn't really work out when apparently 95% of cats are gay. :v:

Fedit: also the lizards.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Vermain posted:

The more common excuse I see is some weird equivocation where people don't want to do anything but heal because it's not what the healer archetype is "about" or it isn't like that in other games. Realistically, I think it's a combination of anxiety and occasionally laziness, but I'd chalk it up more to anxiety than anything else. I had a SCH in Copperbell Normal a few days ago who was just sitting there casting Physick and nothing else until I brought up that I'd be fine and her faerie could easily keep me alive solo and that she could DPS if she wanted to, and she immediately started pumping out her rotation. People don't want to gently caress up in front of strangers, especially when you loving up is highly visible (viz. the party wipes), which is understandable.

Depending on the content it's usually just laziness.

Since I started levelling whm I have zero respect for non-dpsing healers anymore, now that I know just how little you have to heal sometimes.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

a medical mystery posted:

tfw a tiny step removes the post-raise grace window

Moving doesn't remove it. Only actions. There are just attacks that do not give a poo poo about it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Brainamp posted:

The whole cat harem thing in SB doesn't really work out when apparently 95% of cats are gay. :v:

Fedit: also the lizards.

When the entire tribe can only gently caress one dude you start to get bored and start getting intimate with the other girls in the harem for excitement.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
healers are deviants and perverts

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

can confirm

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Skaw posted:

Moving doesn't remove it. Only actions. There are just attacks that do not give a poo poo about it.

I don't remember ones which do that off the top of my head, but I feel like most of them are proximity "you touched it, it explodes" things. I figure the raise-invincibility spaghetti code has some really hacky poo poo under the hood that counts "you touched it" as a player action, so the game goes "oh you're playing again! ok!" and blows you up

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

World War Mammories posted:

tag urself i'm the idiot dead warrior who got owned

I'm the dragoon awkwardly trying to get back into gcd range

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

tag urself i'm the idiot dead warrior who got owned

I'm the one who realized high end raiding wasn't for them and bailed at pepsiman savage way back when :nyoron:

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

I don't remember ones which do that off the top of my head, but I feel like most of them are proximity "you touched it, it explodes" things. I figure the raise-invincibility spaghetti code has some really hacky poo poo under the hood that counts "you touched it" as a player action, so the game goes "oh you're playing again! ok!" and blows you up

Nah, cause the puddles from Neo Exdeath ignore raise invincibility, and they're just three lines of successively firing small AoEs. Once, I had one of my statics healers instantly go down after getting back up because as soon as the animation for getting up finished, he ate a pair of them. There's very likely just a flag for an attack that makes it ignore it as a method to curtail raising to cheese a planned mechanic.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 17, 2018

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

hell yeah

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Skaw posted:

Nah, cause the puddles from Neo Exdeath ignore raise invincibility, and they're just three lines of successively firing small AoEs. Once, I had one of my statics healers instantly go down after getting back up because as soon as the animation for getting up finished, he ate a pair of them. There's very likely just a flag for an attack that makes it ignore it as a method to curtail raising to cheese a planned mechanic.

There is. Some attacks just deal "darkness" damage which ignores all mitigation (including rez invulnerability) and apply directly to your HP. Usually this is done with hard enrages to prevent you from cheesing through them, but in a few rare cases it is applied by other attacks (for instance, standing inside one of the ghost squares in O5 when they appear will kill you dead no matter what).

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I finished ARR.

A lot of that is a loving slog, but I think the ending makes up for a lot of it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kitfox88 posted:

I'm the one who realized high end raiding wasn't for them and bailed at pepsiman savage way back when :nyoron:

high end raiding has gotten significantly easier less frustrating since pepsiman

this tier of Omega has been pretty pleasant, and my static has progressed smoothly through the fights. the only major roadblock is god kefka, and that's just mostly because mistakes keep piling up as we're trying to hit 3rd forsaken to learn it so we get in like 3 or 4 solid learning attempts on that specific phase of the fight per night.

honestly though god kefka is probably at once my favorite and least favorite fight of this tier. it reminds me of halicarnassus in many ways, but it at least is far less rigid and repetitive than halicarnassus was

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

honestly though god kefka is probably at once my favorite and least favorite fight of this tier. it reminds me of halicarnassus in many ways, but it at least is far less rigid and repetitive than halicarnassus was

Hali's great, I figured everyone loved that figh--

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

While Guardian is an overall better fight, i still quite enjoy the whole theme of Hali a bit more since the arena changes and it makes the mechanics a bit more dynamic. The fact that i was a Bard that got to do the limit break on the ninjas/iron giant might have something to do with it as well.

Besides that, i will take Animal farm any day over the missiles of questionable hitbox. :colbert:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I sure love sidestepping a missile before it hits me, only for the game to say "No, gently caress you, die anyway."

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I stopped my sub a little after Eureka and it's felt like a literal year since I played this game and somehow I havn't missed any seasonal events?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I stopped my sub a little after Eureka and it's felt like a literal year since I played this game and somehow I havn't missed any seasonal events?
The last one was Egg Party, right? Or was it Idols Fiesta?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
4.3 site was updated. We are getting chicken dance emote.
And new allagan ball mount.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 17, 2018

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

You've reversed the numbers.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Better picture of the new 24-man gear:

Edit: IIRC the order this time is Fending, Aiming, Maiming, Striking, Healing, Scouting, Casting

Can't wait to be outrolled for that MNK/SAM outfit by seven other people. :cool:

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 17, 2018

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
holy poo poo those Vaan boots & pants

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

The Vaan outfit is based on his FFTA2 appearance.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

So Ultimate Ultimate Weapon weapons are AF1 with a different glow (AF2 for HW jobs, unknown for sam/rdm). They rejected using the soldiery weapon models and went with relics instead. :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kitfox88 posted:

Gordias and Midas were anomalously bullshit even by high end raiding standards. Gordias basically wrecked the raiding community of this game for a good while.

tl;dr I wouldn’t let pepsiman color your perceptions of high end raiding. Neither Coil nor Omega have really been anywhere near as bullshit as that.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Captain Oblivious posted:

Gordias and Midas were anomalously bullshit even by high end raiding standards. Gordias basically wrecked the raiding community of this game for a good while.

tl;dr I wouldn’t let pepsiman color your perceptions of high end raiding. Neither Coil nor Omega have really been anywhere near as bullshit as that.

Fun story: OG Pepsiman was my first experience with raid tanking. :shepicide: We killed that son of a bitch a couple hours before he was nerfed, did one Leeroy pull of OG Manipulator to say we did, then never touched Gordias again aside from over geared mount farming a year later. I also promptly changed role to melee again because tanking that fight was awful.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Even unsynced, A4S and A8S were soul crushing. :negative:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 17, 2018

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I still have not cleared o8s because my current group doesn't have enough interest to unsych prog it and I really do not want to attempt it with randoms.

When it was relevant, my static broke up twice during o8s prog. :sad:

o4s nowadays is not a big deal though, we even managed to 4 man it (which requires the heresy of doing nisi / pentacles the correct way)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I managed to get lucky and found a PF party that stuck with it until we farmed it for eight runs in a row.

I still have the person who made the party friended, so I can see if she wants to set up something again sometime.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Thundarr posted:

I still have not cleared o8s because my current group doesn't have enough interest to unsych prog it and I really do not want to attempt it with randoms.

When it was relevant, my static broke up twice during o8s prog. :sad:

o4s nowadays is not a big deal though, we even managed to 4 man it (which requires the heresy of doing nisi / pentacles the correct way)

O is for Omega, A is for Alexander.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

We know what ilvl Ridorana Lighthouse will be? I'm about to hit 350 but I assume it won't be above that.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Yeah, I'm aware that Alexander savage was an anomaly but it's also that I don't wanna fall back into treating the game like a job. :v:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sade posted:

O is for Omega, A is for Alexander.

rip. But yeah I meant Alexander there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
The Vaan outfit for Monk is super slick, but I cannot get over how unbearably hideous the rest of them are. Especially those casting and healing sets, jesus. "Here, wear this burlap sack."