Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Artum posted:

It was just a primaris librarian, jump librarians would of course be much better for it since then you could advance much further.

Galaxy brain is bike librarian for the movement, guaranteed advance, and better shooting and toughness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

Galaxy brain is bike librarian for the movement, guaranteed advance, and better shooting and toughness

Where's the fun in that, null zone is per model not per unit and jump librarians can get to the back of a unit.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

It was just a primaris librarian, jump librarians would of course be much better for it since then you could advance much further.

Is it common to use a chaplain in Deathwatch? One with a jump pack would probably be pretty spicy, backing up some Inceptors or Vanguard Vets.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
As far as marine lenses, the easiest way I’ve found is with a mithril silver basecoat (or any shiny metal) and then those gemstone technical paints like spirit stone red applied over the lens. A thin coat of tamiya clear colors would work too.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Badablack posted:

As far as marine lenses, the easiest way I’ve found is with a mithril silver basecoat (or any shiny metal) and then those gemstone technical paints like spirit stone red applied over the lens. A thin coat of tamiya clear colors would work too.

This man knows what's up!

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah, that works. I tend to base coat silver, put a dot of white in, and glaze it with inks which is a pretty similar effect.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Technowolf posted:

Okay, hamgoons, I have a bit of a problem.

Back when I started my Necron army I got the old battleforce (the one with 20 warriors, 5 immortals/deathmarks, and a ghost ark). During assembly, I used 5 of the warriors to make 5 gauss immortals. Later when I got another box of warriors (for a total of 32 warriors), I used some more of the extra parts to create 2 crypteks and the overlord on a command barge. But now I want to run bigger squads of warriors, but only have 24 warriors built (along with 2 old metal warriors I've been using as lords). Is it worth it to try and tear apart some of the models and rebuild them as warriors?

I have some of those same 2-green-rod Not!warrior Immortals. I'd throw some your way if you want to swap some mans--I have a truly silly stock of Space Egypt Terminators.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

Yeah, that works. I tend to base coat silver, put a dot of white in, and glaze it with inks which is a pretty similar effect.

I wish I had heard of that before I did my current round of marines, that sounds fantastic.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
These lens posts are seriously making me consider going back through all of my Imperial Street Saints and repainting their lenses from Sotek Green to the gemstone green. Goddamnit.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I wish I had heard of that before I did my current round of marines, that sounds fantastic.

Depending on how thin the ink is it takes a good bit to get it the color you want, sometimes I just base coat in a color, put the dot in and ink over it if I'm feeling lazy. Doesn't look as good but it works.

The gemstone paints does pretty much the same thing but does it better from what I've seen online, I just use inks because I already have all these P3 inks laying around that I like. P3 inks are fantastic for glazing.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 17, 2018

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Yellow Ad Mech, purple Ad Mech, or yellow and purple Ad Mech?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Lungboy posted:

Yellow.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

Depending on how thin the ink is it takes a good bit to get it the color you want, sometimes I just base coat in a color, put the dot in and ink over it if I'm feeling lazy. Doesn't look as good but it works.

The gemstone paints does pretty much the same thing but does it better from what I've seen online, I just use inks because I already have all these P3 inks laying around that I like. P3 inks are fantastic for glazing.

I have a lot of experience with inks on my current build. I haven't used P3 but I absolutely love using inks and washes in general. Long term once my Primaris in a good place I might reward myself with a speed painted Necron army; nothing but metals, drybrushing, and inks.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I have a lot of experience with inks on my current build. I haven't used P3 but I absolutely love using inks and washes in general. Long term once my Primaris in a good place I might reward myself with a speed painted Necron army; nothing but metals, drybrushing, and inks.

That sounds like it'd be really great.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lungboy posted:

the Orleanis III Technomartyrs

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Nice. What was your recipe for Plasma?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well gently caress. I have come to the realization that the basing I have been doing for my Death Guard and Nurgle Demons, while nice, just isnt fitting the theme or color palate. I'm going for a kind of Silent Hillesque feel to them since they fit that aesthetic, but since I was trying to base all my armies the same I put them on a cracked desert base. Gonna go more abandoned streets now. Thankfully, thanks to my slow painting as of late this only affects a few figures.

Does anyone have any tips for removing painted minis from a base? Yes, I used plastic glue to mount them like an idiot.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 17, 2018

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

jadebullet posted:

Well gently caress. I have come to the realization that the basing I have been doing for my Death Guard and Nurgle Demons, while nice, just isnt fitting the theme or color palate. Thankfully, thanks to my slow painting as of late this only affects a few figures.

Does anyone have any tips for removing painted minis from a base? Yes, I used plastic glue to mount them like an idiot.

Get an xacto #2 or #5 handle and some #18 chisel blades. And maybe chainmail gloves if you're a klutz.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Ayn Marx posted:

Gonna guess its the same as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpSVZiYLuPY

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

That sounds like it'd be really great.

One of the things I really suffer from is being fairly dead-set on a particular method once I begin it. That's why I take so long with these models. Unfortunately my Orks suffer from the exact same problem. I'm incredibly proud of how they turned out but they take a prohibitively long amount of time to make. So for the next army I hope to specifically use nothing but techniques that I know will balance speed and quality. To avoid burnout what I might do is alternate between projects, so maybe do 5 Orks and then a Necromunda squad, or experiment with some Necrons and then assemble my "Squigs and Spawns" idea for a Blood Bowl team. Take advantage of the sheer variety of things that I have on my plate and start filling up my display cabinet.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ayn Marx posted:

I just posted everything over in Reddit so I'll c/p that post here:

quote:

I wanted to mix things up so I took the Dark Imperium Inceptors and bought a set of plasma exterminators off of eBay to go with them. That should let me add another set of Inceptors using the regular boxed set and have unique poses for all six models. The guy in the center is the sergeant.

I started by priming the models with Badger Styrenz gray using an airbrush. The purple is VGA silver undercoat, Liquitex Ink! Dioxazine purple, an edge highlight in VGA silver, and then two coats of Army Painter purple tone. The bone is VGA Bonewhite, a wash of Army Painter soft tone, and then a drybrush of VGA Bonewhite followed with a final drybrush of white. The plasma coils are a white undercoat, Army Painter purple wash, Liquitex Ink! Phthalocyanine Blue applied to just the recesses, and then a light application of white in the corners. The metal is VGA gun metal, an edge highlight in VGA silver, and then a wash in Army Painter dark tone. The base is a combination of crushed oyster shells and Games Workshop Agrellan Badland base coated in VGA Bonewhite, washed in Army Painter strong tone, and then drybrushed with VGA Bonewhite and then white. The rocks were heavily drybrushed in white to set them apart. The rim was a mixture of VG Black and Liquitex Ink! Carbon Black, which I feel does a phenomenal job of making a perfectly smooth black surface. Some of the recesses of the bone pieces were hit with Liquitex Ink! Transparent Burnt Umber to provide some significant depth; this particularly worked well in the vents of the guns and the recesses of the Sergeant's "welding helmet".

The entire model was airbrushed with Liquitex Matte coat, and then the purple pieces were brushed with Liquitex Satin to bring out the depth of the purple. Finally the plasma coils and then engine vents (not shown) were painted with a gloss coat to make them really stand out and glow.

Using white, a blue wash, a recess application of dark blue ink, and then white in the corners turned out to be an exceptionally quick method. Adding a gloss coat does wonders as well.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Booley posted:

Get an xacto #2 or #5 handle and some #18 chisel blades. And maybe chainmail gloves if you're a klutz.

And if this doesn't work, trim the bases off with a set of clippers, then grind off what's left with a dremel tool.

It's drastic, but it works. It may leave scars (but, hey, Death Guard) on the bottoms of their feet, but hopefully this can be concealed with new basing.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cessna posted:

And if this doesn't work, trim the bases off with a set of clippers, then grind off what's left with a dremel tool.

It's drastic, but it works. It may leave scars (but, hey, Death Guard) on the bottoms of their feet, but hopefully this can be concealed with new basing.

You don't even need to grind. Clippers will be perfect for getting in between the line of the base and the model's foot, and a simple scraping job will suffice to remove any residue.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Looks like GW just posted something about their Grand Tournament. If you want to participate all the heats are in the UK.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Looks like GW just posted something about their Grand Tournament. If you want to participate all the heats are in the UK.

I saw this earlier and was briefly very excited until I remembered that warhammer world rules would be in effect, so i’d have to run my army as actual Biel Tan. Almost wondering at this point if i need to buy a pot of sotek green and go through my army redoing all the flat green as turquoise so i can be a generic craftworld, but that would feel really crappy having spent so much time getting it to its current state. Make me +1 for “formally tying rules to paint scheme is dumb”. Might book one of the later ones and plan to play necrons.

Inteesting that they’ve gone for 1750 points, presumably a reaction to all the slow play grumbling.

A bit of a dick move from them to clash with Battlefield Birmingham in September, but i expect both events will manage to fill.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My big wish is for GW to host official tournaments here in the U.S.

But I guess that will require them to move away from their bowling lane store models and invest in bigger spaces, which won't happen.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Zuul the Cat posted:

My big wish is for GW to host official tournaments here in the U.S.

But I guess that will require them to move away from their bowling lane store models and invest in bigger spaces, which won't happen.

they could just rent spaces for hosting events like they did in the past

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I'd love to see a GT using the 4x4 tables most US stores have

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

One_Wing posted:

I saw this earlier and was briefly very excited until I remembered that warhammer world rules would be in effect, so i’d have to run my army as actual Biel Tan. Almost wondering at this point if i need to buy a pot of sotek green and go through my army redoing all the flat green as turquoise so i can be a generic craftworld, but that would feel really crappy having spent so much time getting it to its current state. Make me +1 for “formally tying rules to paint scheme is dumb”. Might book one of the later ones and plan to play necrons.

Inteesting that they’ve gone for 1750 points, presumably a reaction to all the slow play grumbling.

A bit of a dick move from them to clash with Battlefield Birmingham in September, but i expect both events will manage to fill.

Yeah, I can kind of understand the idea behind detachments with different rules having visibly different stuff going on, but forcing someone to run an army in accordance with the paint job they happened to like is pretty stupid.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, MTG runs multi-thousand person tournaments, they just aren't held in gaming stores.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

I'd love to see a GT using the 4x4 tables most US stores have

This would be cool. I'd love a 4x4, non-2000 point tournament.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheChirurgeon posted:

Baltimore GT was in the convention center.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

What's the difference between an official Games Workshop GT and one of the several big tournaments that get run in the US?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Baltimore GT was in the convention center.

so was Games Day, back in the good ole days

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

What's the difference between an official Games Workshop GT and one of the several big tournaments that get run in the US?

The company organizing it. LVO and NoVA get GW support but aren't run by GW

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
So I'm inexorably sliding down the slippery slope that is wargaming, and I'm considering giving 40k a try. I've heard the new edition simplifies things in a good way and makes it more approachable, but I haven't actually reviewed the rules yet. Anyway, is there anywhere I can go to get a general sense of how each army plays? It's kind of a big investment to get started on 40k (compounded by the fact that neither of the armies in the starter box really appeal to me aesthetically) and GW has pretty much nothing aside from fluff on their site.

Side question: I really like the look and lore of the Thousand Sons, but it sucks that they don't have a Start Collecting box. I also have no idea if psyker ability is actually any good in the game. Are they a viable army, and if so what would be a good list to build a new army? Is this stuff I could find cheap on eBay? Also, could I combine Thousand Sons units with the vanilla Chaos Space Marines start collecting box to save some $$, and still have something that plays well?

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 17, 2018

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Mikey Purp posted:

So I'm inexorably sliding down the slippery slope that is wargaming

Mikey Purp posted:

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I just posted everything over in Reddit so I'll c/p that post here:

Using white, a blue wash, a recess application of dark blue ink, and then white in the corners turned out to be an exceptionally quick method. Adding a gloss coat does wonders as well.

What material are those rocks you added to the bases?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booyah- posted:

What material are those rocks you added to the bases?

Oyster shells.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oyster shells.

brilliant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Tried out my Necron scheme on a Warrior today. Here he is next to his Immortal buddy:

I know the green plastic rods are kinda dumb but I like them as a retro thing from when Necrons were released when I was a kid. I didn't glue it, so if I decide they suck I can always pop it out again. Really looking forward to getting my backlog cleared out so I can crack into my Necrons properly.