Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

But MURS requires type accepted equipment ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

iospace posted:

Question, what's the highest wattage you can go up to without having to get a license. I want to make my own weather station in the future and want to transmit the data to a computer remotely.

Why not just get a license and use APRS?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Why not just get a license and use APRS?

:effort: mostly.

I do want to do that some day though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

iospace posted:

Even a tech license will open up huge possibilities in the frequencies you're likely to care about, and you can study for a tech license in a few evenings of going through practice tests.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

iospace posted:

The tech license is a couple evenings of cramming on hamstudy and a quick test, it’s well worth it.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

iospace posted:

It'll probably be less effort to get the license, rather then trying to build something that kinda works, and is legal without a license.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

The hardest part about getting my tech was waiting for the greybeards to assemble for a test. One local group does their tests on alternating Tuesdays during business hours, and the other group does theirs one saturday a month at the most remote emergency management facility in the county.

It took 3 months for the stars to align for me, which turned out to be enough time to study for the general as well.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yeah, a tech license is like A+ in the computer world. It basically just verifies that you have a pulse and have a basic understanding of the concepts involved. If you're at a point where you're legitimately considering building a RF-linked device you probably could guess your way through it without a problem.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I refused to learn the math behind complex impedance for that section of the Extra test, spent twice as long studying for all the other poo poo as I should have so I could win via law of averages, and barely passed.

Turns out within the following year I had learned all those complex +j23 equations anyways just in the course of playing radio

Takeaway: the tests really are geared for a proficiency level, it is pointless to cram, and it is worthwhile to actually study the source material and questions till you understand it, cause you're going to either quit radio asap or learn it anyways

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

longview posted:

Yaesus always seemed real confusing but I never owned one, glad it's not just me.

I've always owned Yaesus, and just bought an Icom 2730A after agonizing over the equivalent Yaesus and Kenwoods.

This is prompted me to sell my FT-450d (anybody want it?) and swear off Yaesu other than my FT-101. I had no idea that I was being so abused for the last decades of radio ownership. I thought they were all pretty much like that, and drat I'm not going back.

Edit: 1900R needs to go too.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

if it seems daunting, the ARRL las a list of classes in your are that you can take.

Yes, you can probably just study on your own and do just fine - but I found it useful to meet other people who were also excited about nerding out on radio, and make new friends in the process. I took classes for both the Tech and the General, and found them eminently useful.

http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-class

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Motronic posted:

I've always owned Yaesus, and just bought an Icom 2730A after agonizing over the equivalent Yaesus and Kenwoods.

:hfive: 2730a buddies -- mine's set up on my desk

just wanted something that had dual tuners without too many (other) bells and/or whistles

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Partycat posted:

But MURS requires type accepted equipment ?

I believe Wouxun's are type accepted for part 90, not sure about part 95 though.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The tech license is a couple evenings of cramming on hamstudy and a quick test, it’s well worth it.

I am horrible at studying and test taking and I just practiced on some dumb iphone app on my train commute for a week and then aced the test. Easy peasy.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
IC-2730 is basically the replacement for the 2820 (minus the D-Star option) right?

I picked up a Hytera MD-785 off eBay a few weeks ago, it's pretty nice.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Progressive JPEG posted:

:hfive: 2730a buddies -- mine's set up on my desk

just wanted something that had dual tuners without too many (other) bells and/or whistles

I needed something remote head so I could put it in the truck without being inconvenient/ugly. The suction cup mount for the remote head, and the fact that the head uses a single thin cable to the radio and that you can attach the mic to it were total selling points.

It's actually in the truck now, all hooked up except for the speaker (waiting for an extension cable) and power. Hopefully I'll get around to that today.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Reminder to the people thinking about studying for Technician that the question pool renews at the end of June this year. The broad strokes of the subject matter won't really change, but the specific questions you'll see on the test will.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Hamstudy.org really helped me for the General, and now they have a mobile app, so time to start studying for the AE, before I forget it all from the General!

SignalStuff also makes good antennas; I have a couple for my handhelds.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Can anybody recommend a vehicle bracket for my TM-241a? The radio is 5.5 inches wide. I'm going to have to play around with mounting locations, under dash might work but in a 05 ranger there's not a ton of space.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Can anybody recommend a vehicle bracket for my TM-241a? The radio is 5.5 inches wide. I'm going to have to play around with mounting locations, under dash might work but in a 05 ranger there's not a ton of space.

Is there something wrong with the bracket it comes with? It's discontinued, but you can still find them on ebay/etc. It's part number MB-201.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Motronic posted:

Is there something wrong with the bracket it comes with? It's discontinued, but you can still find them on ebay/etc. It's part number MB-201.

Bought it used and didn't get the bracket, and there's none on ebay right now. I'd obviously prefer the original, yes.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Pham Nuwen posted:

Do you have an aftermarket radio, or any interest in installing one? The stock Ford radio is a bit short of double-DIN size and your Kenwood is a bit smaller than a standard DIN head unit. You could probably fit both it and a standard DIN-size head unit in the stock opening by modifying one of the brackets for an aftermarket head unit.

If that's not an option the interior shares a lot with '95-03 Explorers and I'm pretty sure there are a few manufacturers who made center consoles with radio mounting slots for that generation. Assuming you have bucket seats and an automatic transmission that might be an option, but it probably wouldn't work with a manual and/or bench seat.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Hi radio goons. I'm planning my first radio shack, as I'm moving to a new house with a great layout for one, and I'm trying to decide what I want. Currently I'm leaning towards a Yaesu FT-991A as my first shack rig, as it should allow me to do a wide variety of things with one unit for a reasonable price.

Any pros or cons to this approach?

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
If you look up the thread, there's some discussion about Yaesu's being pretty menu heavy. Otherwise they're pretty solid radios.

If you're not dead set on something brand new with a pretty waterfall, Motronic mention he was selling his FT-450D. Downside is that it's only HF + 6m, so no VHF/UHF.
I have the FT-450D, and I like it. I don't have much experience with other radios, so I can't comment on the menus. About the only thing I use the menu for is changing the power output.

xergm fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 17, 2018

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

I had just stuck industrial Velcro to mine and stuck it to a panel. The adhesive eventually dries out and leaves more of a mess than mounting holes but it works.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

xergm posted:

I believe Wouxun's are type accepted for part 90, not sure about part 95 though.

The Obliter8R and Termin8r and those ones were supposed to be and the radio did have a mode to boot to MURS “mode” (and GMRS “mode”) but as I believe it and the antenna are user modifiable options so probably no dice. I can’t find anything current that references that they are type accepted- id have to get the FCC IDs from anytone and go look.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
The Icom is fully installed now. I'm really happy with the setup.

Rado is hidden in a side cubby in the wayback:

Speaker placement isn't optimal, but I put it down near the floor behind the driver's seat. It's plenty loud enough.

And the detachable head unit on a glass mount:

Gonna have to play around with where I want to hang the mic.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

mycomancy posted:

Hi radio goons. I'm planning my first radio shack, as I'm moving to a new house with a great layout for one, and I'm trying to decide what I want. Currently I'm leaning towards a Yaesu FT-991A as my first shack rig, as it should allow me to do a wide variety of things with one unit for a reasonable price.

Any pros or cons to this approach?

This has a good comparison/explanation of SDR vs non when it comes to display behavior:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyphxUs7O1A

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Bought it used and didn't get the bracket, and there's none on ebay right now. I'd obviously prefer the original, yes.

So you always have the standard nasty adjustable: https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Mounting-Bracket-Scanners-Speakers/dp/B007C745F0

It's hard to figure without sitting in your truck and seeing where it could possibly live and how you would mount it there. I used to have a ranger back in the 90s.......and god drat it was tight in there.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Three-footer of 1.5"x1/8" steel is about four bucks at home depot if you can bend a couple 90s and figure out the threading for the mount holes. Five mins with a hacksaw, file and can of Krylon and you're in good shape

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

notanarsonist posted:

Did you pass?

Yes. Now i try to look for not so expensive transceiver and antenna so i can have money for food.

edit: I used this book https://www.nrrl.no/amatorradio/bli-radioamator/720-laereboka-er-klar-for-levering and someone in the local radioclub taught me 4 hours a week. It took three months from "I dont know how to find a common denominator what is a number duuuuuhhhhhh" to passing the exam with just 3 wrong question (7 was the cutoff point).

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 16, 2018

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I've been a licensed General for years but never owned an HF rig (used clubs during university, and haven't worked HF in a while now). I'd finally like to get around to setting one up.

Any HF rig recommendations for a first time owner but not first time operator? I have no idea as the club shacks I've used have really nice poo poo.

• Will probably mostly work 20 m. Frankly I wouldn't even be opposed to a single-bander if it were cheap enough and met all my other desires.
  • 100 W-ish is fine
  • Multi modal - I'll probably be doing both SSB and CW
  • Ideally it contains a tuner and stuff like that so that I don't have to get a bunch of auxiliary equipment
  • This is kinda goofy and not necessary but I dig the old school electronics aesthetic... I mean a super old clunker would be neat but I am aware a really old one would probably need care/repair that I'm not sure I can give. But I even like that 80s/90s lab equipment look more than super sleek modern things

ickna
May 19, 2004

alnilam posted:

I've been a licensed General for years but never owned an HF rig (used clubs during university, and haven't worked HF in a while now). I'd finally like to get around to setting one up.

Any HF rig recommendations for a first time owner but not first time operator? I have no idea as the club shacks I've used have really nice poo poo.

• Will probably mostly work 20 m. Frankly I wouldn't even be opposed to a single-bander if it were cheap enough and met all my other desires.
  • 100 W-ish is fine
  • Multi modal - I'll probably be doing both SSB and CW
  • Ideally it contains a tuner and stuff like that so that I don't have to get a bunch of auxiliary equipment
  • This is kinda goofy and not necessary but I dig the old school electronics aesthetic... I mean a super old clunker would be neat but I am aware a really old one would probably need care/repair that I'm not sure I can give. But I even like that 80s/90s lab equipment look more than super sleek modern things

See if you can find a Kenwood TS-450 with antenna tuner module. It hits all your points and is easy enough to make an interface cable to do digital mode stuff too. It’s what I learned on and I’d still be using it today if I hadn’t bought a KX3 for better portability and not really needing 100w of power most of the time.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

ickna posted:

See if you can find a Kenwood TS-450 with antenna tuner module. It hits all your points and is easy enough to make an interface cable to do digital mode stuff too. It’s what I learned on and I’d still be using it today if I hadn’t bought a KX3 for better portability and not really needing 100w of power most of the time.

Yeah this looks rad, thanks

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Have anybody tried the RS-918? It is low price compared to Icoms and stuffs.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Michael Jackson posted:

Have anybody tried the RS-918? It is low price compared to Icoms and stuffs.

Looks interesting, and has positive reviews on eham, though personally I’d probably wait for the ARRL to put it in the lab for testing before buying.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Is there any reason not to build a half-square or inverted V right on the side of my house? My land is small-ish and doesn't have many places to hang things from, but I do have a 2 story house and a ladder.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

alnilam posted:

Is there any reason not to build a half-square or inverted V right on the side of my house? My land is small-ish and doesn't have many places to hang things from, but I do have a 2 story house and a ladder.

Make sure there's no HVAC wiring in the wall in parallel with active elements of whatever wire antenna you plan to put onto your house cuz lemme tell 'ya what 40m will do to a thermostat... (Or any other similar household appliances)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Sniep posted:

Make sure there's no HVAC wiring in the wall in parallel with active elements of whatever wire antenna you plan to put onto your house cuz lemme tell 'ya what 40m will do to a thermostat... (Or any other similar household appliances)

What exactly does it do? I mean I've seen transmissions make a badly insulated CRT monitor flicker when the antenna was mounted 15 m away from the building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Sniep posted:

Never had that issue, but 40m would set off the carbon monoxide detector upstairs.