Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

it's fuckin adorable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

It’s honestly loving me up hearing the P4 cast call each other by their family names in Cross Tag

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Yeah that's throwing me off. They never did that in other P4 dubbed material. This is clearly a translator who isn't referencing previous works.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Strange Journey Redux is out in the US. I've heard this game is pretty rough so I'm excited to see for myself.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Tsukasa Masuko is working on a new game:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/642344002/japanese-rpg-legends-team-up-new-dark-fantasy-game?ref=thanks_tweet

Last time I spoke to him before they started the project, he was hoping Atlus would call him for the series anniversary, but he's gonna be pretty much fully dedicated to this project for now.

The synth VSTs he'll be using are M-1, CZ-5000, Juno 106, DX7 and U-220. He wanted to go with physical synths, but he doesn't have the time or space to get all his stuff sorted.

I'm just glad he's doing something, so I just backed the game.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Well just got surprise attack Mudo'd into my first game over. Good thing I've been saving often!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Scrap Dragon posted:

It’s honestly loving me up hearing the P4 cast call each other by their family names in Cross Tag

i honestly kinda like it as a translation choice for chie and yosuke but its weird @f hearing it for like, yu and chie

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Everyone's last names are kinda important in P4 I guess, except Yu and Chie. Yosuke's family owns Junes, Yukiko's has the inn, Kanji's has the textiles store, and Rise/Naoto's are decently famous.

It's weirder in P3, where the only name that's important is Kirijo.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
Not much excitement for Strange Journey redux? The original was a bit too much of a bland old-school dungeon crawl for me.

I'm convinced Atlus holds improvements for a console increment so that nothing can be an expansion pack or add-on. Remember those?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm surprised they kept Redux completely undubbed.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Everyone's last names are kinda important in P4 I guess, except Yu and Chie. Yosuke's family owns Junes, Yukiko's has the inn, Kanji's has the textiles store, and Rise/Naoto's are decently famous.

It's weirder in P3, where the only name that's important is Kirijo.
There's also Mitsuru being the one who would generally refer to others by their last names as opposed to the others, mostly to establish distance/leadership I guess.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mordecai posted:

Not much excitement for Strange Journey redux? The original was a bit too much of a bland old-school dungeon crawl for me.

I'm convinced Atlus holds improvements for a console increment so that nothing can be an expansion pack or add-on. Remember those?

I didn't realize it was out until a copy showed up on my door yesterday

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Mordecai posted:

Is it available on EU right now? MT wiki claims EU release is 18th, though I don't know if it's both physical and digital.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Mordecai posted:

Please this is a persona megathread, its not relevant

i do wanna get it tho, I really bounced off the original

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Expect My Mom posted:

Please this is a persona megathread, its not relevant

i do wanna get it tho, I really bounced off the original

It's pretty good. Most of it is is left intact from the DS original, it's kind of weird seeing larger portraits for incidental characters and the rest of your ship's staff. I may be misremembering but a lot of them didn't even have much beyond a unique name in the original and now they all have big unique names and faces and sometimes voices.

Gameplay wise, it's SMT but it's making me remember how much I miss press turn. It's a good, grindy dungeon crawl but it's also unmistakenly a handheld spinoff, kinda like the Donkey Kong Land to Apocalypse's Donkey Kong Country.

good day for a bris fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 16, 2018

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

good day for a bris posted:

It's pretty good. Most of it is is left intact from the DS original, it's kind of weird seeing larger portraits for incidental characters and the rest of your ship's staff. I may be misremembering but a lot of them didn't even have much beyond a unique name in the original and now they all have big unique names and faces and sometimes voices.

They all had their names and little personality quirks, but the portraits are all new. The original's crew only had portraits for Gore, Zelenin, Jimenez and Arthur.

Mordecai posted:

I mean, it was already not that popular of a game, and then you add on how Atlus USA is largely pretending it doesn't exist, so you end up with a lot of people not even realizing it exists.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 16, 2018

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

TurnipFritter posted:

They all had their names and little personality quirks, but the portraits are all new. The original's crew only had portraits for Gore, Zelenin, Jimenez and Arthur.

I mean, it was already not that popular of a game, and then you add on how Atlus USA is largely pretending it doesn't exist, so you end up with a lot of people not even realizing it exists.

To be fair the 3ds is in a weird place where it's not dead but its noticeably at the end of its lifecycle. Even Nintendo announced games are mostly just ports as it moves its franchises to the switch

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
There was a lot Japanese fanart of people drawing all the Red Sprite NPCs based off their tiny sprites and that's cool

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, everyone with a name had a unique sprite and actual personality (some had more personality than Zelenin and Jimenez, even, because SJ is not very well written) which made that possible, semi-common and it owned

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
What are the issues with OG Strange Journey? Based on my limited experience I like grindy dungeon crawlers and I've always been really intrigued by the box art it has.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Mostly some really lovely blind teleporter mazes that were frustrating as gently caress later on.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

Zore posted:

Mostly some really lovely blind teleporter mazes that were frustrating as gently caress later on.

Thankfully, one of the new (optional) subapps helps alleviate this a lot by showing where teleporters will take you.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

What are the issues with OG Strange Journey? Based on my limited experience I like grindy dungeon crawlers and I've always been really intrigued by the box art it has.

Some of the dungeons were real bullshit and the story wasn't great on any of the routes. I like the game despite all that tho, I'm gonna pick up redux whenever i get thru the 3ds games i already have

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

good day for a bris posted:

To be fair the 3ds is in a weird place where it's not dead but its noticeably at the end of its lifecycle. Even Nintendo announced games are mostly just ports as it moves its franchises to the switch

That's what I thought, but looking at their youtube channel, they had a lot of promo trailers for EO5 and Radiant Historia and The Alliance Alive, while SJR got, like, an a repackaged version of the JP announcement trailer eleven months ago and then a launch trailer yesterday.

DisDisDis posted:

Some areas have like three different pocket dimensions layered on top of one other you have to traverse to get from Point A to Point B. There are multiple, giant, sprawling teleporter mazes. It's one of those SMT games where if you do a full kaja/kunda, bosses will go berserk and possibly one-shot you. The game kind of peaks in Sector Bootes.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 16, 2018

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Strange Journey was and is great and the true successor as mainline SMT game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It was criminally boring and wasted its aesthetic.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
it was bad because I couldn't kiss jimenez

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

Tired Moritz posted:

it was bad because I couldn't kiss jimenez

Look at this chump who never unlocked the True Demon Romance ending.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

It also has the worst soundtrack of a mainline SMT game.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

WrightOfWay posted:

Seconding this.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Seconding this.

The style they went for was exactly the wrong kind for the OG ds's lovely speakers.

TurnipFritter posted:

Some areas have like three different pocket dimensions layered on top of one other you have to traverse to get from Point A to Point B. There are multiple, giant, sprawling teleporter mazes. It's one of those SMT games where if you do a full kaja/kunda, bosses will go berserk and possibly one-shot you. The game kind of peaks in Sector Bootes.
All the shifted areas are pretty short and the teleport mazes aren't all that large or difficult.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Some of the dungeons were real bullshit and the story wasn't great on any of the routes. I like the game despite all that tho, I'm gonna pick up redux whenever i get thru the 3ds games i already have

The neutral story of SJ was cooler than 4 and Apocalypse combined.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Gaius Marius posted:

The style they went for was exactly the wrong kind for the OG ds's lovely speakers.

This is a very good point. You're using high quality instruments and vocal samples for tiny speakers that are much better suited for simpler instruments, unless you're using headphones.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Why would you ever not use headphones with handhelds though.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Motto posted:

I got tinnitus I tend to avoid it, to be honest. Doesn't help my hearing.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

The neutral story of SJ was cooler than 4 and Apocalypse combined.

Ehhhhhh

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You definitely can do vocal tracks on the DS (just look at TWEWY) it's just that even beyond the style the music wasn't very good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Motto posted:

Takes more effort than not

Fhistleb
Dec 31, 2008

Tell me more about your sandwiches.
I'm digging Strange Journey, its got the sci-fi niche from it and the battle system is still complex enough to enjoy. Given I feel its better adjusted than Squares rpg's.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I have to give SJ credit because the Law/Chaos routes almost managed to be sensible.

At least until they drop insane “oh yeah, there’s a catch with this” moments in each that only come up after you get tricked and locked into the route (this is why I will forever hate Mastema no matter what game he appears in).

But there is some side quest glitch that allowed you to infinitely alter alignment points before you got locked in... I wonder if Redux fixed that

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Strange Journey's OST owns. Y'all be crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Mastema owns his design is so good