Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I hope the next game has even more climbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Zelda/Ice Climbers crossover when?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Lol gently caress

https://twitter.com/mrordun/status/995758241152884736?s=21

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

noice

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
It turns out that activating memories is a trigger to reset the counter for Stasis so you can do insane launches from it.

https://twitter.com/Zants/status/995951574940815360

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao holy poo poo

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I want to tree surf, but I've never been able to consistently aim my swings during stasis.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I want to tree surf, but I've never been able to consistently aim my swings during stasis.

They're not aiming with sword swings. In that clip he uses an arrow to aim the first launch and a bomb to aim the second.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I am starting BOTW, have gotten a tiny bit into the game (4 hearts, 2 stamina upgrades, unlocked the basic runes and saw one flashback so far).

I am looking for spoiler-free tips please. Especially when it comes to finding weapons. It feels like whenever I encounter a guardian, I use up all my good strong weapons killing it and have to go out and collect a whole bunch more. I'm not very good at perfect parries yet so reflecting the laser is iffy at best. I also feel like I'm rather short on Rupees, I had to scrounge and save and sell some food I had to get the first armor upgrades I found sold in Kakariko village.

Any tips would be nice though, but I am making an effort to avoid spoilers wherever possible. Which is probably stupid for a game that's a bit over a year old but whatever.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I would say, you don't need to be fighting and killing guardians quite yet? Just focus on exploring the world and not being murdery unless you absolutely have to be. You'll run into more weapons that way.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Alxprit posted:

I would say, you don't need to be fighting and killing guardians quite yet? Just focus on exploring the world and not being murdery unless you absolutely have to be. You'll run into more weapons that way.

I've been avoiding fighting them, but for things like the central tower where there's 2 of the stationary ones on either side I had to kill one of them in order to be able to climb the tower.

Also I don't want to look at a map but I feel like I've found very few shrines thus far, even when trying to scout from towers and high places. The sensor's range is pitiful. Is there a good trick to finding them?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

khy posted:

I am starting BOTW, have gotten a tiny bit into the game (4 hearts, 2 stamina upgrades, unlocked the basic runes and saw one flashback so far).

I am looking for spoiler-free tips please. Especially when it comes to finding weapons. It feels like whenever I encounter a guardian, I use up all my good strong weapons killing it and have to go out and collect a whole bunch more. I'm not very good at perfect parries yet so reflecting the laser is iffy at best. I also feel like I'm rather short on Rupees, I had to scrounge and save and sell some food I had to get the first armor upgrades I found sold in Kakariko village.

Any tips would be nice though, but I am making an effort to avoid spoilers wherever possible. Which is probably stupid for a game that's a bit over a year old but whatever.

Spoiler-free tips:

• Follow the main questline until you get the camera.
  • I know it's fun to be able to scale any cliff, but sticking to roads to get to places instead of scaling the mountains in between will give you a more interesting experience.
  • Stronger weapons will spawn as you play more of the game. If you are still early, you are not getting weapons that are good enough to fight Guardians regularly with.
  • Selling things is how you make money. Nothing is irreplaceable, even rare things like diamonds, so you can sell things freely. Every item is useful for something, even if it's just cooking.
  • A good trick for finding shrines, or any other point of interest, is to find a high vantage point such as a tower or mountain and look around.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Some random non-spoilery tips off the top of my head:

Weapons in general are pretty abundant. You won't really need to worry about killing guardians and breaking all your good stuff yet, so don't feel bad just running away from them. If you ever find weapons that are specifically placed into the world, you can mark it on your map. After a blood moon, the weapon will respawn in the same spot.

For rupees, I pretty much sold all my gemstones to make money. There's a more effective way to sell them later in the game through a specific NPC, but you'll find so many gems all over the place that they're good to sell in a pinch. Maybe keep a couple diamonds on hand, though, you might want them and they're not all that common.

Cook stuff! You'll get some nice boosts through cooking. I think you cook better during blood moons.

Rain makes it really hard to climb up stuff. If you can find a spot sheltered from the rain, you can make a fire by dropping wood and flint, and hitting the flint with a metal weapon. Then you can spend time at the fire and the rain will stop. If that's not an option, then climb anyway. Learn the timing of when Link is about to slip, and jump up the cliff wall just before he slips. You'll still slip a little, but you'll still make progress.

It's really tempting to just run around and climb every mountain you see off in the distance, and just run off the beaten paths. But, spend some time traveling the paths, too. You'll run into some interesting stuff that you'd probably miss if you just made a beeline for everything that looks interesting in the distance.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
the best tip for people new to BotW is that there's no wrong way to play it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

khy posted:

I've been avoiding fighting them, but for things like the central tower where there's 2 of the stationary ones on either side I had to kill one of them in order to be able to climb the tower.

Also I don't want to look at a map but I feel like I've found very few shrines thus far, even when trying to scout from towers and high places. The sensor's range is pitiful. Is there a good trick to finding them?

You could have just ducked behind balconies until they switched off, climb to the next one, repeat; cowardice works! Though I'm kind of in awe of you; I ran away from basically everything until I had to learn to kill Guardians to get to Goron City.

Money: gemstones. Bash every ore outcrop you see, mark the ones with gold sparkles (more expensive drops) and check back regularly.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Maker Of Shoes posted:

the best tip for people new to BotW is that there's no wrong way to play it.

Yes there is, and that's following a walkthrough or guide to the letter instead of just wandering around on your own.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

khy posted:

To me, the most efficient way to not waste weapons is to use Mighty Bananas (and other mighty ingredients) to make Level 3 Attack UP meals. Second would be learning the counter move

I've taken down guardians that would've taken all my weapons away when I first started the game, to being able to take those same guardians down with much less

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Yes there is, and that's following a walkthrough or guide to the letter instead of just wandering around on your own.

I think the game would still hold up quite well, better than many others. It's still several dozen hours of good times even if you lose the organic adventuring aspect.

But I wouldn't recommend it either

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
To make rupees in the early game I cooked meat and sold the resulting meal. If you cook 5 of a type of meat the multiplier of rupee return is pretty high, and even the basic bird meats and fish sells well after cooking and those things are everywhere.

For meals my standard was 5 apples which gives 5 or 6 hearts healed and is cheap/easy to make, until I found "hearty" stuff later for that sweet yellow heart action.

So meat/fish for selling and fruit/veggies for eating.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Also if you find a Durian tree, you are in luck. Mark their locations as cooking a single Durian will heal you to full hearts + 4 temporary hearts. You can also cook 5 Durians at once for a boost of full hearts plus 20 temporary hearts.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Also if you find a Durian tree, you are in luck. Mark their locations as cooking a single Durian will heal you to full hearts + 4 temporary hearts. You can also cook 5 Durians at once for a boost of full hearts plus 20 temporary hearts.

Also big hearty radishes

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Something that took me way too long to figure out: when there is a thunderstorm, put away your metal items.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Neon Belly posted:

Something that took me way too long to figure out: when there is a thunderstorm, put away your metal items.

This is adorable 😊

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Neon Belly posted:

The ominous buzzing you heard from your metal weapons during thunderstorms weren't a huge clue? :v:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
First time I stumbled across the Ancient Tree Stump, there was a thunderstorm going on at night. I had all of 3 hearts still and had just unlocked the Central Tower (maybe my third or fourth tower). This was also my first encounter with Moblins. I took out one or two of the Bokoblins with some effort, carefully making my way across the bridge, when the Moblin saw me and started coming across the bridge... as his weapon started sparking. He got right about to the point where he started winding up for a swing, and *POW*. It was cinematic as hell.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Alter Ego posted:

The ominous buzzing you heard from your metal weapons during thunderstorms weren't a huge clue? :v:

I think the electrical charge you see before the strike emitting from your metal weapons is a bigger tell.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And in the inventory screen, during a thunderstorm the items that will zap you will show a lightning bolt animation. Same for wooden items that will burn in Mt. Doom.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I think my favorite derp moment was trying to use bomb arrows on Death Mountain :v:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

To me it just looked like it was emanating from Link. I kept reloading and trying things like jumping in the air so I wasn't grounded, and running in different directions, because I thought maybe that was just an area I wasn't allowed in yet.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Alter Ego posted:

I think my favorite derp moment was trying to use bomb arrows on Death Mountain :v:

I def killed myself doing this once.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Alter Ego posted:

my favorite part about this is that it took more than a few times for me to figure out what was happening

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

my favorite part about this is that it took more than a few times for me to figure out what was happening

:same:

Also wondering why my bomb arrows weren't exploding when using them in the rain.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Alter Ego posted:

This took me a few explosions to realize.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This poo poo is really why BoTW is so drat great

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Neon Belly posted:

is that what's happening? holy poo poo

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I refuse to believe this is real

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

RCarr posted:

:same:

Also wondering why my bomb arrows weren't exploding when using them in the rain.

iirc there is a bokobolin tree fort where they shoot bomb arrows at you I think near Kakariko village. If you go there when it rains and taunt them, they will attempt to blow you up and if you dodge their shots you can quickly go pick up their bomb arrows for later use.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Link's Awakening 3D might be happening.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

MokBa posted:

Link's Awakening 3D might be happening.

What when where how

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I don't know if I want a Link's Awakening 3D because the original game is perfect, but I'm still intrigued