Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
what the gently caress did you just say about my friend oddish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
in fact every pokemon who is a ball with face/arms/legs is cool and good and well designed

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
ball w/ eyes -> ball w/ eyes and SASS does so much with so little and its sad that latter gen designers give up on the spirit of simplicity

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Chieves posted:

The Gen 1 designs are only good with the og Sugimori artwork, they lose something when the coloring gets more flat.

I would love to see gens 3+ with the original artstyle.
Directly opposing this take, Gen 1 with the og Sugimori colouring on their models look really washed out, and look worse than the previous colouring they had.

Current gen Pikachu and Charmander suffer really badly with this.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

in fact every pokemon who is a ball with face/arms/legs is cool and good and well designed

With one exception: Kanto Golem.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I hope they finally do my idea, which is to remake both Yellow and Crystal simultaneously, wherein each version you start in the opposite region and go to the other in the post-game.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Also, from many pages back, my question about how to get a good Lando in US- I know how synchronize works. What I'm wondering is how you can tell which legendary you are going to face so that you know which synchronizer to bring with. Obviously i can bring like 4 or 5 of them, but I also gotta have my Gallade, and I prefer to have one other "muscle" mon in case poo poo gets real.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

less laughter posted:

i dont know what your beef with golem is but he is a fine and upstanding pokemon and he was my first shiny and i named him goldem and cant change it because i caught him like four generations ago

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Chill Penguin posted:

Also, from many pages back, my question about how to get a good Lando in US- I know how synchronize works. What I'm wondering is how you can tell which legendary you are going to face so that you know which synchronizer to bring with. Obviously i can bring like 4 or 5 of them, but I also gotta have my Gallade, and I prefer to have one other "muscle" mon in case poo poo gets real.

When you go to the wormhole you'll hear the cry of the legendary mon and see a round shadow pass above you specifically in Landorus' case. You'll also need both of its minors, Tornadus and Thundurus, in your party for it to appear.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

voltorb is great

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Mega Farfetch'd please

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
https://twitter.com/Torchickens/status/997075815614496769

e: also the slot corresponding to the cactus man is one of the missingnos with a unique cry so we even know what that mightve sounded like

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 17, 2018

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/gerph_art/status/996917179864973314

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

My favorite orb with appendages is Reuniclus. It's a timeless design concept.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

My favorite orb with appendages is Reuniclus. It's a timeless design concept.

What about Jumpluff? Just an orb with additional orbs.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

How did they decide to drop shark with a harpoon face while deciding to keep “ball with eyes”?!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nodosaur posted:

How did they decide to drop shark with a harpoon face while deciding to keep “ball with eyes”?!

Which one? There are like 5 in Gen 1

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nodosaur posted:

Thankfully they recycled the design for Mega-Sharpedo.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Oh hi, Terrakion

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

less laughter posted:

And the Good Taste Award goes to... less laughter
Sorry oddium, but your taste is demonstrably bad.

quote:

No fuckin Dratini but yes zubat... cant believe this poo poo.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i don't regret being right

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nth Doctor posted:

And the Good Taste Award goes to... less laughter
Sorry oddium, but your taste is demonstrably bad.

No fuckin Dratini but yes zubat... cant believe this poo poo.

Zubat is good hth.

That list is unforgiveable for a number of other crimes though, like missing out on Jolteon, Raticate and Hitmonlee

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

T-rex deer and badass gay shark both make it onto my team

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

some pokemon are just traditional jrpg critters. Mimics and rats and bats and slimes and walking plants and snakes and birds and bugs and "x but alive" and the like. Really there aren't that many completely out of left field design ideas, but they pull most of them off well I think.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Hammerite posted:

T-rex deer and badass gay shark both make it onto my team

what makes you think the shark is gay hoss

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

oddium posted:

It was spotted at a Carly Rae Jepsen concert last week and knew the lyrics to all the songs

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Man that deer is some gen 4 ugliness. Gimme that croc and shark any day though.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

oddium posted:

It's a fabulous shade of purple and extremely fierce, it's a crime if it isn't

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nodosaur posted:

Because Kanto power plant. :argh:

e: :supaburn: BZZZZZZT! :supaburn:

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
That deer looks like someone poorly reassembled a Kangaskhan and fellas, it's lit

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

y'all acting like gen 1 pokemon wasn't the beginning where the devs had no idea if it'd even become popular and were working purely off the basic idea of 'weird animal or living version of _____' to begin with

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

oddium posted:

i don't regret being right

Regret having objectively terrible taste instead.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Emdyofficial/status/997168681263214593

Yeah, they're just Mega Sharpedo, Heliolisk, and Terrakion
It's nice that they can find other ways to implement old designs like that

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I got excited for a second and thought that Deer was a kirin. On closer inspection, I can see why it got cut though. The big spikes, skinny legs, and heavy boot-like feet just don't mesh together very well.

It's too bad that Crocky didn't make it. I think it's the strongest of the bunch that got culled. Those giant, staring eyes are unlike anything else in generation 1!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i beg to differ

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Vinylshadow posted:

https://twitter.com/Emdyofficial/status/997168681263214593

Yeah, they're just Mega Sharpedo, Heliolisk, and Terrakion
It's nice that they can find other ways to implement old designs like that

that's a weird Virizion

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Johnny Joestar posted:

y'all acting like gen 1 pokemon wasn't the beginning where the devs had no idea if it'd even become popular and were working purely off the basic idea of 'weird animal or living version of _____' to begin with
Also everything was going to turn into mutant blobs on the Gameboy screen anyway, so there wasn't much incentive to do really detailed designs.

As much as every new gen gets some people going ":qq: that looks like a digimon :qq:", it's pretty obvious the designs get more detailed as the games are capable of showing more of it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

more pokemon that look like gen1s and less digimon catastrophes imo

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Pokemon pretty clearly started as "What if animals had super powers?" and kept it up for the first couple generations, some gen 3 oddities aside. Gen 4 is a bit more fantastic and Drapion really has a Digimon aesthetic. Gen 5 and on it kinda goes off the rails. Sure, they're more detailed, but while the first gen had "bird" and "rock", you start getting "coffin", "goth thing", "some gears" digimon reject, keychain, something out of "Yellow Submarine". Gen 7 seems to avoid the stinkers until you get to the legends. 'nother "Yellow Submarine" transplant though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ItBreathes posted:

Gen 5 and on it kinda goes off the rails. Sure, they're more detailed, but while the first gen had "bird" and "rock", you start getting "coffin", "goth thing", "some gears" digimon reject, keychain, something out of "Yellow Submarine".

Why are any of those intrinsically bad tho