Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think sugar highs are actually a thing. Definitely avoid honey at her age, and limit how many sweets she eats, but a little cake with real sugar isn't going to hurt her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don't think sugar highs are actually a thing.

*waits patiently for science chat to commence*

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BrianBoitano posted:

*waits patiently for science chat to commence*

Sure, since I started it

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199402033300501#t=articleResults

Sugar only changes parents expectations. When parents think their kids had sugar (including placebos), they were more likely to describe their behavior as hyper. The fact is, kids are kids and they expend lots of energy.

The study from way back that supposedly made everyone think sugar made kids hyper wasn't even testing sugar, it was testing whether food coloring in their treats made them hyper iirc.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Leng posted:

We're celebrating my kid's first birthday this weekend!

It's her birthday. Let the kids have some regular cake on their special day. I suppose if you don't want to make a whole cake for just her you could even do muffin cake with sugar for her. Throw her in the high chair and let her destroy that poo poo and get everywhere. Or alternatively don't even bother having a birthday since a 1yr old has no concept of what a birthday is and won't remember not having one when she grows up. Saves you money and solves your sugar issue. Additionally, I agree that sugar rush are bull.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Just give your kid sugar sometimes, but not all the time.
Don't be one of those parents, your kid will get picked on.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

FGR beat me to it, but sugar highs aren’t caused by sugar. I think you should probably make your kid a proper cake, if only because understanding that sugary things are a treat to be had on occasion is a really important lesson.

My son’s first birthday was a joint my 30th/Sam’s 1st/leaving for America party, and we had a loving huge sponge cake with brightly coloured icing. Sam had a tiny bit and then returned to chomping up samosas.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Gonna be going camping this weekend, usually one dinner is just potatoes, onions, and ground beef sealed up in a pie tin with foil, then roasted over the fire for an hour or two. Problem is, I hardly ever cook with ground beef and when I do, I don’t season it myself. What are some good seasonings you guys like for plain ground beef? Note: I usually chop an onion into a pound of beef and mix in an egg for texture. Obviously I will be serving it with ketchup, too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lawnie posted:

Gonna be going camping this weekend, usually one dinner is just potatoes, onions, and ground beef sealed up in a pie tin with foil, then roasted over the fire for an hour or two. Problem is, I hardly ever cook with ground beef and when I do, I don’t season it myself. What are some good seasonings you guys like for plain ground beef? Note: I usually chop an onion into a pound of beef and mix in an egg for texture. Obviously I will be serving it with ketchup, too.

minced garlic, black pepper, a lot of fish sauce or a little soy sauce

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Old Bay when camping imho

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Old Bay when camping imho

Seconded. Can't beat old bay for portability and versatility.

And if you catch a fish, HEYO

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Herbes de Provence is my go-to when camping...

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Koburn posted:

I got a bread maker a few months ago. It's great, but I still do a lovely job of slicing the bread once it's done. There are tools available like racks that the bread goes into and acts as a guide when cutting, but they are either cheap flimsy Chinese garbage or very expensive with mixed reviews on their quality.
How the gently caress do I slice my bread evenly?

I have this one and like it fine. https://www.amazon.com/DB-Tech-Bamboo-Compact-Foldable-Slicer/dp/B0091UO76S

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the suggestions all, I’ve got some Penzey’s herbs de Provence I’ll give a try.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

I don't think sugar highs are actually a thing. Definitely avoid honey at her age, and limit how many sweets she eats, but a little cake with real sugar isn't going to hurt her.

Scientastic posted:

FGR beat me to it, but sugar highs aren’t caused by sugar. I think you should probably make your kid a proper cake, if only because understanding that sugary things are a treat to be had on occasion is a really important lesson.

sterster posted:

It's her birthday. Let the kids have some regular cake on their special day. I suppose if you don't want to make a whole cake for just her you could even do muffin cake with sugar for her. Throw her in the high chair and let her destroy that poo poo and get everywhere. Or alternatively don't even bother having a birthday since a 1yr old has no concept of what a birthday is and won't remember not having one when she grows up. Saves you money and solves your sugar issue. Additionally, I agree that sugar rush are bull.

spankmeister posted:

Just give your kid sugar sometimes, but not all the time.
Don't be one of those parents, your kid will get picked on.

:stare: I did not realize that trying to limit sugar was going to be such a controversial topic and that it would be interpreted as kid deprivation and brand me as some sort of crazy selfish parent who imposes ridiculous dietary guidelines for no valid reason whatsoever.

For the record, I am not against sugar in moderation. I generally try to avoid pre-processed food and make everything from scratch at home but sometimes life happens so I might use pre-made pasta sauce or something, sue me. Given how much sugar is already in a lot of pre-made stuff, I figured we'd have an easier time of sticking to the WHO guidelines if I tried to keep added sugar and sweeteners out of the things I made.

Besides, going from no sugar whatsoever to full on "regular" amounts of sugar (never mind that most people - myself included - have waaaaay too much sugar, well above and beyond what the WHO recommends) just seems illogical. Do people who like their chilli also go from "not spicy" to "extra spicy" and skip "mildly spicy" for a baby whose taste buds aren't accustomed to it?!

Sure, since I started it

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199402033300501#t=articleResults

Sugar only changes parents expectations. When parents think their kids had sugar (including placebos), they were more likely to describe their behavior as hyper. The fact is, kids are kids and they expend lots of energy.

The study from way back that supposedly made everyone think sugar made kids hyper wasn't even testing sugar, it was testing whether food coloring in their treats made them hyper iirc.

This is a helpful post. I have seen that study before but had forgotten about it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Yeah, but what you asked for was how to make a sugar-free birthday cake... Birthday cake is supposed to be a treat, not a WHO-guideline obeying statement piece. The concept of “cake” necessitates sugar as far as I am concerned.

Edit: the chilli analogy doesn’t hold water, I’m afraid... Liking chillies is a learned response and an acquired taste. Liking sugars is something that our bodies evolved to do, so there’s really no such thing as “unaccustomed to sugar”. Your entire metabolism is geared to like sugar and fat from the day you’re born.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 17, 2018

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Also, presumably your kid eats fruit, right?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Kids can eat spicy food. Sometimes it'll be too hot for them and they won't like it just like adults. I probably wouldn't serve a baby habanero death sauce, but a little heat won't kill them.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
My boyfriend has eaten straight death chillies since birth and he's only a little hosed up.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Leng posted:

:stare: I did not realize that trying to limit sugar was going to be such a controversial topic and that it would be interpreted as kid deprivation and brand me as some sort of crazy selfish parent who imposes ridiculous dietary guidelines for no valid reason whatsoever.

For the record, I am not against sugar in moderation. I generally try to avoid pre-processed food and make everything from scratch at home but sometimes life happens so I might use pre-made pasta sauce or something, sue me. Given how much sugar is already in a lot of pre-made stuff, I figured we'd have an easier time of sticking to the WHO guidelines if I tried to keep added sugar and sweeteners out of the things I made.

Besides, going from no sugar whatsoever to full on "regular" amounts of sugar (never mind that most people - myself included - have waaaaay too much sugar, well above and beyond what the WHO recommends) just seems illogical. Do people who like their chilli also go from "not spicy" to "extra spicy" and skip "mildly spicy" for a baby whose taste buds aren't accustomed to it?!

This is a helpful post. I have seen that study before but had forgotten about it.

I'm speaking from experience from being put on a food coloring free bullshit diet. It's really not fun as a kid when you have to bring your own lovely treats to every birthday party.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Make a fruit dish of some kind that won't suffer from a lack of added sugar.

Stick candles in a watermelon slice. Fruit puree, maybe frozen a bit into a slushy. Just not cake, as cake cannot serve your purpose.

(Watermelon was my favorite "cake" as a kid and I still do it as an adult. Icing melted when we were outside in high summer so we found a way to have fun with something that wouldn't melt.)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Cut up fruits (melon, pineapple, pears, etc) sprinkled with Tajin rules. Do that.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Look, I don't think you are crazy and I know you are trying to do what's best for you children within your power but as a couple of people have mentioned sometimes it's okay to not be perfect. As a parent of 2 kids now 8 & 5 we tried low suger, no soda, no processed meat bs. Does it help Idk. Is it hard yes. All I'm saying is that you probably have a beautiful 1 yr daughter who's not going to get hurt from, and, would probably really love some normal cake. This solves your problem trying to make a sugar free cake. It lets your daughter enjoy some dopamine. Then you can return to your sugar free normal schedule program after.

Raising kids isn't easy like I said and there sure as poo poo isn't a right way to raise any given kids. Do whats best for you and your family. I just think people are saying it's okay to bend the rules or make 'mistakes.'

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Fussing over making a special cake for a one year old strikes me as being like how my sister would buy a Carvel ice cream cake for our dog's birthday every year --- it was really just an excuse for us adult humans to devour a cake, as the Guest of Honor had no clue what was even going on. Mookie never got any Carvel because dogs + chocolate = bad news, but I'm pretty sure he gave no fucks as long as we kept the Milkbones coming. Just make a real cake for the guests who will remember it, and serve your kiddo whatever her favorite food is right now.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

I don't think sugar highs are actually a thing.

This article is not saying that sugar highs are not real. Hyperactivity doesn't mean the kid eats a candy bar and runs around for half an hour, it means they are excited and irritable and have difficulty concentrating all the time. It's like the difference between a tummy ache and colon cancer. Sugar is energy. Give a kid a bunch of energy via food and they will burn it off.

wormil fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 18, 2018

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

wormil posted:

This article is not saying that sugar highs are not real. Hyperactivity doesn't mean the kid eats a candy bar and runs around for half an hour, it means they are excited and irritable and have difficulty concentrating all the time. It's like the difference between a tummy ache and colon cancer. Sugar is energy. Give a kid a bunch of energy via food and they will burn it off.

poo poo better feed a kid no carbs then.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Going to a graduation party on Sunday, and I’m bringing my lemonade pie and a bunch of cupcakes, but one of the neighbor girls who will be there has celiac disease and can’t digest gluten, and she’s like 5 and I hate for her to feel left out. What can I buy /make that she can eat?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If you went to Whole Foods or similar and bought her a gluten free cupcake I bet she’d be very appreciative.

You could make creme brûlée or flourless chocolate cake or bring ice cream.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Chemmy posted:

If you went to Whole Foods or similar and bought her a gluten free cupcake I bet she’d be very appreciative.

You could make creme brûlée or flourless chocolate cake or bring ice cream.

All good ideas, thanks.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

LongSack posted:

Going to a graduation party on Sunday, and I’m bringing my lemonade pie and a bunch of cupcakes, but one of the neighbor girls who will be there has celiac disease and can’t digest gluten, and she’s like 5 and I hate for her to feel left out. What can I buy /make that she can eat?

One of my best friends is “gluten intolerant” and I make this cake a lot.

We have experimented quite a lot with the best way to make it, and discovered that it’s quite a lot better if you make it a day ahead of time... Recently we tried making two layers and putting lemon curd and raspberries in the sandwich, which was very successful.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

LongSack posted:

All good ideas, thanks.

If it’s actual coeliac and not just an intolerance (where cross contamination isn’t life threatening), it’s prolly best to buy something than make it, because your oven will have trace amounts of gluten containing stuff flying about.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Chemmy posted:

Kids can eat spicy food. Sometimes it'll be too hot for them and they won't like it just like adults. I probably wouldn't serve a baby habanero death sauce, but a little heat won't kill them.

Half of my little cousins are hooked on flaming hot cheetos and eat ramen noodles with a half a bottle of tabasco/redhot on them

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Wish I had seen all the posts on fruit-related cakes/cake alternatives earlier - those are great ideas! Anyway, sorry about causing a parenting derail here, this is the last reply I'll make to the whole sugar thing and then I'm never going to bring it up here again:

Scientastic posted:

Yeah, but what you asked for was how to make a sugar-free birthday cake... Birthday cake is supposed to be a treat, not a WHO-guideline obeying statement piece. The concept of “cake” necessitates sugar as far as I am concerned.

Edit: the chilli analogy doesn’t hold water, I’m afraid... Liking chillies is a learned response and an acquired taste. Liking sugars is something that our bodies evolved to do, so there’s really no such thing as “unaccustomed to sugar”. Your entire metabolism is geared to like sugar and fat from the day you’re born.

Honestly I was hoping to be educated on the food science front about the chemistry happening in cakes and if refined added sugar is a necessary ingredient for a cake, what its function is in a cake and the consequences of substitutions on said cake. I'm not sure that I understand the logic to your argument - you're talking about suddenly increasing the level of sugar by a factor of at least 10, if not more. I have cut way back myself on salt and sugar after having a kid and just having one chocolate biscuit the other day made me feel kind of sick and grossed out afterwards because of the sudden increase in sugar.

I guess the whole concept of "birthday cake" is just a loaded one - and "treat" is a culturally relative concept too. We're Chinese Australian, while we cook and eat many different cuisines, a lot of what we have is Chinese or other Asian food. Celebratory food for birthdays/weddings/any other occasion is like 10+ course banquets with whole roasted animals and super fresh seafood. Sugary pastry/baked things only appear in tiny cookie form at the very end after the mango sago/red bean soup and fruit and honestly nobody really eats those because everyone is stuffed from gorging on scallops, lobster, abalone, pigeon and pork.

spankmeister posted:

I'm speaking from experience from being put on a food coloring free bullshit diet. It's really not fun as a kid when you have to bring your own lovely treats to every birthday party.

sterster posted:

All I'm saying is that you probably have a beautiful 1 yr daughter who's not going to get hurt from, and, would probably really love some normal cake. This solves your problem trying to make a sugar free cake. It lets your daughter enjoy some dopamine. Then you can return to your sugar free normal schedule program after.
On re-reading my initial posts I can see how it could have been interpreted as a "no sugar ever" policy - which isn't the intention. We just want to phase in added sugar slowly (like over a period of years not months).

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Just make a real cake for the guests who will remember it, and serve your kiddo whatever her favorite food is right now.

Sadly, I do not have the skills to cook Chinese style lobster at home, let alone on a public park BBQ. :v: I ended up going with a low sugar chocolate cake, and I will add sprinkles to the frosting too because I am not a heartless monster set on depriving her kid of a "special treat".

Chemmy posted:

One of my attempts at Thai cooking was pork larb. I separated out a portion for her after adding a small amount of chilli and a good amount of lime but before adding sugar and fish sauce. I had added the seeds and everything and didn't separate those out. She was like 8 or 9 months old at the time and never had chilli before. Her first fistful was mostly pork, the second or third must have picked up some chilli seeds because her face turned red and she started crying but she must have loved the taste because she just kept shoving more mouthfuls in between crying until the bowl was empty.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

In cakes it specifically acts as a stabilizer, helps retain moisture, helps browning, and obviously adds flavor

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Leng posted:

just kept shoving more mouthfuls in between crying until the bowl was empty.

Wait, is this not how everyone eats every meal?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
If you are one of those chili chaser people the answer is yes. Or if you love food and hate being fat and feel guilty every time you have another bite of biscuits and sausage gravy that you salt with your own tears.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Doom Rooster posted:

It's what worked for me! Oh, wait, is this not the weight loss thread?

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

dino. posted:

If it’s actual coeliac and not just an intolerance (where cross contamination isn’t life threatening), it’s prolly best to buy something than make it, because your oven will have trace amounts of gluten containing stuff flying about.

It is. And maybe mixed with other stuff. The list of poo poo she can’t eat us rather daunting (including tree nuts, peas, any meat but poultry), but apparently chocolate is ok and there’s a Gigi’s Cupcakes not terribly far away that makes a Triple Chocolate Torte which is gluten free and looks v tasty.

And yeah, since I bake a lot of bread, my oven is almost certainly out.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My mom is buying me 10lbs of skirt steak flap meat for a cookout and marinating it. Is there any special thing to do with it, or is it just grill until it looks done

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 19, 2018

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Steve Yun posted:

My mom is buying me 10lbs of skirt steak flap meat for a cookout and marinating it. Is there any special thing to do with it, or is it just grill until it looks done

Flap's grain runs along the width, and it's squishy when cooked rare. Grill it until at least medium (I like it around medium well), then cut it into sections which you then cut against the grain. Flap is one of my favorite cuts, and one local butcher has it for like $3/lb. I don't know how common it is elsewhere, but the only other source is $8/lb and the same flavor and texture despite being a higher grade. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Doom Rooster posted:

Beats me, I do that.