Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

obi_ant posted:

knives that are super dull

Have you considered bedazzling them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Bollock Monkey posted:

Pop me some in the post because I've been craving it since reading the recipe and haven't gotten round to it yet.

Sadly it happened a few years ago and I haven't made it since :shobon:

Think I'll get the makings today and revisit, see if I've got my taste for it back.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

obi_ant posted:

I have a bunch of knives that are super dull. I don't think they're worth bringing them to the shop. Can someone point me to the direction to where I can get started on this? I'm pretty sure I want to get a sharpening stone.

I believe the new knife thread has a lot of useful information. Basically, you'll need to decide between buying stones and learning to freehand sharpen or use a system that fixes the angle for you.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Is there a gluten free thread? One of my roommates is Celiac and I spend a lot of time cooking gf and would love to trade tips and recipes with other folks doing the same.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Scientastic posted:

Have you considered bedazzling them?
:golfclap:

I wish I could offer advice on your fruit grilling quest, but I don't buy a lot of fruit because I've got oral allergy to practically every fruit under the sun. Im not gonna swell up and die if I eat a banana, but most raw fruits make me want to at least vigorously swish water to relieve the itch in my mouth. Citrus is generally okay, though sometimes iffy. Anything with a pit, or melons, makes me want to take a steel wool to my gums/cheeks. Worst part is I grew into this allergy in my late teens/20s, so I know drat well how loving delicious a slice of watermelon is on a 86 degree day like today. I haven't had a slice of watermelon since the Clinton administration. :smith:

HOWEVER

1. When fruit is cooked, it breaks down the enzyme that makes me itch. So like I can eat sad canned peaches, but I stare longingly at the fresh peaches at the farmers market, for they are the forbidden fruit.

2. The apartment I live in has a swank propane grill for use by any resident at any time, they even provide the gas.

3. It never really occurred to me to grill fruit.

So thank you for bringing up the idea of grilling fruit! I will report back with any findings.

How did your plum tart come out? What did you end up doing on the peeling bit?

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

What to do with flank steak? Normally, I marinate it and have it for 2 nights - the first grilled with a starch like mashed potatoes or mac & cheese, the second usually sliced very thin over greens for a beef salad.

However, the steak I got this week is huge - I might be able to get four meals out of it, but I’m gonna stick at three.

So I’m looking for suggestions for a third dish - either marinated or not.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

LongSack posted:

What to do with flank steak? Normally, I marinate it and have it for 2 nights - the first grilled with a starch like mashed potatoes or mac & cheese, the second usually sliced very thin over greens for a beef salad.

However, the steak I got this week is huge - I might be able to get four meals out of it, but I’m gonna stick at three.

pan fry that poo poo and throw it on a breakfast burrito or some huevos

or tacos

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Speaking of flank steak, I have two pounds thawing in the fridge that I bought from Trader Joe’s.

1) what temp to cook at?
2) any marinade necessary?

I was thinking medium rare with a olive oil/salt/pepper marinade for 24 hours but am open to suggestions.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

legendof posted:

being impossibly slow to push lemon curd or things that thickness through.

Whats your need to do this for your lemon curd? Genuinely curious. We make this often and I've gotten perfect at it and never have the need to do this.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Why do people put oil in marinade? I assume the idea is to bring out oil soluble flavors but olive oil (most recipes) turns solid in the fridge anyway. I generally do salt, sweet, vinegar or alcohol, and then probably another liquid (soy sauce, fish sauce, bbq, mustard, chipotle). But I don't use oil.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

JacquelineDempsey posted:

How did your plum tart come out? What did you end up doing on the peeling bit?

I blanched them, then roasted them a bit, and eventually had to take a peeler to them. It got very sticky.

It was OK, but because I just adapted an apple recipe instead of using a specifically plum recipe, there was rather a lot more liquid than there should have been, which meant I had to periodically drain the thing, which made it a bit of a chore.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

wormil posted:

Why do people put oil in marinade? I assume the idea is to bring out oil soluble flavors but olive oil (most recipes) turns solid in the fridge anyway. I generally do salt, sweet, vinegar or alcohol, and then probably another liquid (soy sauce, fish sauce, bbq, mustard, chipotle). But I don't use oil.

Multiple sources have said that putting oil or butter in a bag to cook sous vide with meat causes the meat to be less flavorful in the end. The theory I've read is that the flavor compounds bind to the oil and the oil carries the flavor away from whatever's in it. Bland meat, flavorful oil for a sauce or whatever.

I think oil in a marinade is mostly tradition. It might help some food to release from a hot grill more easily if some oil stays on it when you cook. Flavorwise, you're probably just as good or better off without it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

wormil posted:

Why do people put oil in marinade?

Because that's what's in Italian dressing

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

wormil posted:

To most people, cooking is symbolic more than logical. The reason for doing something in a certain way is that the way to do that thing is a certain way. There's no reason pasta gets mushy when overcooked, it just does. Sweet potatoes get sweet and soft when you cook them - not sweet potatoes get sweet and soft because the starches convert into gelatin and the complex carbohydrates break down into simpler chains.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Ok, cool. I will keep on, keepin' on, without oil in my marinade.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

nwin posted:

Speaking of flank steak, I have two pounds thawing in the fridge that I bought from Trader Joe’s.

1) what temp to cook at?

I was thinking medium rare with a olive oil/salt/pepper marinade for 24 hours but am open to suggestions.

Sorry for kinda derailing your question. I don't often marinate steaks but I like a teriyaki-ish marinade with soy sauce, brown sugar, salt, and garlic. I say "ish" because I think it's missing a couple things like ginger but no one complains. I like a hint of ginger but not too much so I often leave it out.

Another good one is bourbon and just about anything - mustard, pineapple juice, garlic, Worcestershire, etc. (Evan Williams 1783, Fighting Cock, Elijah Craig are all sweeter and make good marinades)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is a pasta machine at all necessary if I just want to make very occasionally? Seems like it should be possible to accomplish the same thing with a rolling pin and a knife, if not quite as precisely obviously.

LongSack posted:

I made this one a week ago, it was good even though I forgot the vinegar :v:: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/08/grilled-skirt-steak-dijon-mustard-champagne-vinegar-marinade-recipe.html

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

mobby_6kl posted:

Is a pasta machine at all necessary if I just want to make very occasionally? Seems like it should be possible to accomplish the same thing with a rolling pin and a knife, if not quite as precisely obviously.
ATK fresh pasta without a machine

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

mobby_6kl posted:

I made this one a week ago, it was good even though I forgot the vinegar :v:: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/08/grilled-skirt-steak-dijon-mustard-champagne-vinegar-marinade-recipe.html

You can, it’s just way harder and more time consuming to get consistently thin sheets from your dough. Pasta machines are huge time savers and get the dough very thin for you, but they aren’t necessary by any means. Try it by hand and see if you are happy with the result and the amount of time and effort you used.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
I got a bread maker a few months ago. It's great, but I still do a lovely job of slicing the bread once it's done. There are tools available like racks that the bread goes into and acts as a guide when cutting, but they are either cheap flimsy Chinese garbage or very expensive with mixed reviews on their quality.
How the gently caress do I slice my bread evenly?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Koburn posted:

I got a bread maker a few months ago. It's great, but I still do a lovely job of slicing the bread once it's done. There are tools available like racks that the bread goes into and acts as a guide when cutting, but they are either cheap flimsy Chinese garbage or very expensive with mixed reviews on their quality.

The plastic one they sell at Walmart is ok. We've been using the same bread slicer that we bought along with a machine about 15 years ago. The machine broke, the slicer guide is still trucking.

Edit: Ours is a Presto Bread Slicing Guide. It's pretty much bomb and idiot proof. I would recommend that. Ebay has a used one for 20 bucks.

Also check Goodwill, you find them there sometimes

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 13, 2018

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I looked back a few pages (went into last Fall), and couldn't find a grilling thread, so I'll ask here.

I'm about to give up on charcoal grilling altogether. It seems the drat thing will never get above ~300°F, measured by the thermometer on the lid (I know that's not the same as the temperature at the grate, but it's still nowhere near 500° for burgers). I'm using lump charcoal that I store on my deck in a Rubbermaid bin. I put it into the charcoal chimney, and dump it onto the grate when I start to see fire coming out (after, of course, re-starting the drat stuff, but that's another complaint).

Help, goons. What magic step(s) am I missing?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

It sounds like you're choking it, but frankly I'm kind of poo poo at it too so I'm not sure what magical advice to give beyond clean out the ashes and play with your airflow. I can get my charcoal grill to a roaring 800 or so if I try, but not with total reliability. Often when mine was stuck at lower temps it was because the airflow was being choked by ash though, or more rarely I hadn't gotten the coals quite going before dumping them in.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

hooah posted:

I looked back a few pages (went into last Fall), and couldn't find a grilling thread, so I'll ask here.

I'm about to give up on charcoal grilling altogether. It seems the drat thing will never get above ~300°F, measured by the thermometer on the lid (I know that's not the same as the temperature at the grate, but it's still nowhere near 500° for burgers). I'm using lump charcoal that I store on my deck in a Rubbermaid bin. I put it into the charcoal chimney, and dump it onto the grate when I start to see fire coming out (after, of course, re-starting the drat stuff, but that's another complaint).

Don't dump it out when you see fire coming out, dump it out when you see that the coals are starting to ash over gray

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Koburn posted:

your knife may be dull

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

nwin posted:

1) what temp to cook at?

Flank is similar to Onglet, so three good recipes (plus prep tips).

(can't help you with marinades as I'm on the side of not bothering with marinades, it doesn't tenderise and I like sauces better)

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

your knife may be dull

Concurred. Get a bread knife and expect to only achieve perfection with practice. There's no point in slicing bread until you need it anyway.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Have you tried London Broil? It is absolutely my favorite preperation of steak.

Also, guy with a 3lb eye round, LONDON BROIL.

What's your prep method for London broil? My parents cook it all the time on the grill and I think it comes out chewy and flat. They poke it with a fork all over and let it sit in Italian dressing for half an hour or so, then grill something like six minutes per side over charcoal. I'm not a steak guy so it might just be me.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Twobirds posted:

What's your prep method for London broil? My parents cook it all the time on the grill and I think it comes out chewy and flat. They poke it with a fork all over and let it sit in Italian dressing for half an hour or so, then grill something like six minutes per side over charcoal. I'm not a steak guy so it might just be me.

I slice it thin and marinate in my secret umami bomb of a sauce then dehydrate it. London broil is great for jerky.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I tried to make caesar dressing with an immersion blender (and designated immersion blender cup) last night but it simply refused to emulsify. What is the most likely culprit here? This is the recipe I use and I followed instructions to the letter. The only substitution I made was using white wine vinegar instead of lemon juice, but I doubt that would negatively impact the emulsion, would it? My guess was the egg yolk, but I'm not sure why the egg I used would have been any different from any other eggs I've used when I've successfully made this in the past.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Twobirds posted:

It might just be you because that sounds about right. Except my family's marinade has wostershire, soy sauce, and extra crushed garlic too, very secretive. Grill to a nice medium, side with grilled onions and green beans.

This is the steak I grew up eating, it's very much a comfort food for me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

hooah posted:

Vents closed by any chance?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Help me cook cod!

I've made fish tacos a couple times. I buy the thickest pieces of cod I can find at the store, put a little oil on the griddle and cook on both sides. End I cut chunks off, stick in flour tortillas with lettuce and onion, and then make some sort of a sauce to put on them. Habanero ranch, chipotle sour cream, or avocado/jalapeno cream.

My question is about seasoning the fish. I used a very small amount of salt and pepper last time and it seemed too salty. The time before that I just did a mix of chili powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper... What seasoning or prep would work? I don't cook fish much other than salmon which is pretty easy.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

is there a website or source of information I can use that has tonnes of quick and easy meals that focus mainly on strength training meals? so high calorie, high protein, but simple. I'm getting tired of eating sweet potatoes and chicken and rice. doesn't matter how many spices I throw into the mix, it really starts getting a bit soul-destroying after a while.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I'm not joking when I say this, but check out the youtube channel by Tasty. They have a ton of no-brainer meals that are high calorie and probably even taste good, and most have meats and/or cheese and are very easy to prepare.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Help me cook cod!

I've made fish tacos a couple times. I buy the thickest pieces of cod I can find at the store, put a little oil on the griddle and cook on both sides. End I cut chunks off, stick in flour tortillas with lettuce and onion, and then make some sort of a sauce to put on them. Habanero ranch, chipotle sour cream, or avocado/jalapeno cream.

My question is about seasoning the fish. I used a very small amount of salt and pepper last time and it seemed too salty. The time before that I just did a mix of chili powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper... What seasoning or prep would work? I don't cook fish much other than salmon which is pretty easy.
Cod's got a delicate flavour, so just don't overdo the seasoning. maybe pepper and lemon juice, salt to taste?

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Suspect Bucket posted:

It might just be you because that sounds about right. Except my family's marinade has wostershire, soy sauce, and extra crushed garlic too, very secretive. Grill to a nice medium, side with grilled onions and green beans.

This is the steak I grew up eating, it's very much a comfort food for me.

Maybe I'll just convince them to try that marinade next time, thanks.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I actually just grilled some London Broil (top round) for Mother's Day. Winged it on the marinade with ~6 cloves of garlic, a small knob of ginger minced up and a couple of mint leaves in soy sauce, gochujang, hoisin, just a dash of fish sauce and some lime juice. Came out really nicely.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
If I'm substituting strawberries and rhubarb for peaches in cobbler, do I need to make any other changes, like adding extra sugar or starch to the filling? My starting point is this recipe, because the pictures and description sound pretty spot on.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I hate the smell and taste of smoke but want to throw a barbeque this summer. Would it be possible to cook something on a charcoal grill without it picking up a strong smokey taste?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

RandomPauI posted:

I hate the smell and taste of smoke but want to throw a barbeque this summer. Would it be possible to cook something on a charcoal grill without it picking up a strong smokey taste?