Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Getright downlo posted:

Already deleted. What was it?

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/05/16/luke-heimlich-oregon-state

quote:

"Then you think, Our system isn't set up that you pay forever for something you did at 15. But it's not like he had a gun and robbed a bank. He violated a little girl. It's so conflicting."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Robbing a bank is vastly better

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Jose posted:

That was the quoted individual’s meaning

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

quote:

He's one of the best college pitchers, a first-round draft talent—and an admitted juvenile sex offender whose crime, if not for a legal glitch, may have stayed secret forever. 

:stare:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

How can we judge this man while Tekashi6ix9ine walks free?

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
http://www.atimes.com/article/mass-suicide-is-more-common-than-you-think/

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Jose posted:

yeah, they’re saying “our system isn’t supposed to punish you forever*, but he didn’t do something easily forgivable”

*whites only tho

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sweet mother of god

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

it's surprisingly easy to forget that israel is a fascist colonial ethnostate

quote:

What we observed during the past several days in Gaza is a mass suicide. There is something especially horrifying about mass suicide; in some ways it shocks us more deeply than the deliberate slaughter of civilians. Hamas had told the world for years that it loves death more than the Jews love life, but the theatrical sacrifice of dozens of its adherents at the Gaza border brings home a horrible truth: the modern world has an ambivalent attitude towards life. We observe the slow-motion suicide of numerous countries, including Iran, in the form of fertility rates so low that they portend depopulation by the end of the present century.

Backward cultures thrust into the modern world have the highest suicide rates ever recorded. The Guardian reported in 2013 that members of Brazil’s Guarani tribe are 34 times more likely to kill themselves than other Brazilians.

The suicide rate among aboriginal Inuit youth in Canada is 11 times higher than the national average. A 2006 study by the US National Institute for Mental Health warned, “Indigenous people around the world have the highest suicide risk of any identifiable cultural (or ethnic) group. It is a youth epidemic.”

Indigenous peoples in the modern world know that their culture has reached its use-by date and despair. The Gaza suicides have the same motivation.

but they sure are quick to remind you

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Old news.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
fire hot

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Metal Cat has issued a correction as of 03:28 on Oct 24, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the bitcoin of weed posted:

it's surprisingly easy to forget that israel is a fascist colonial ethnostate

but they sure are quick to remind you

This Spengler guy deserves to die.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

same author

http://www.atimes.com/article/humiliation-path-peace-middle-east/

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Applying his own logic I think we can consider him suicidal and burn him at a stake as his articles are clearly a desperate call for release of death.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

the bitcoin of weed posted:

Backward cultures thrust into the modern world have the highest suicide rates ever recorded.

Perhaps the problem is with the modern world and not their cultures (since isolated tribes do more or less fine).

Fish-in-a-barrel-easy-mode content as it's from incels.me

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/johnb78/status/997084135473659904

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Like, okay, I'd be able to maybe tolerate (not really but still) when somebody speaks of bravery of the soldiers defending the actual Germany within its borders as it was getting rolled over by Soviets and whatnot but on D-day they've been defending land they loving occupied illegally

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
the article is paywalled so taking the exact temperature of the take is difficult but the author is a loving fascist bootlicker so at best it's "haha just joking but not really"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Teal posted:

Like, okay, I'd be able to maybe tolerate (not really but still) when somebody speaks of bravery of the soldiers defending the actual Germany within its borders as it was getting rolled over by Soviets and whatnot but on D-day they've been defending land they loving occupied illegally

the dude is a propagandist for the Golden Dawn, so it's almost certainly entirely earnest

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/997155570124718080

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Teal posted:

Defending Germany from the Soviets was 100% bad and they should have all surrendered instead.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Defending Germany from the Soviets was 100% bad and they should have all surrendered instead.

Right I'm just saying; if you're looking for a moment in history when you could call any part of the Nazi German army "heroical", D-Day is one of the worst places to look at.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Teal posted:

Right I'm just saying; if you're looking for a moment in history when you could call any part of the Nazi German army "heroical", D-Day is one of the worst places to look at.

The bottom line here is that bravery isn't a good in itself, and while it might be technically impressive in some sense that doesn't make it worthy of praise. "Heroic" struggle is distinct from mere bravery, in that it implies they were acting towards some kind of good. You're still giving way too much credit to Nazi apologia by entertaining any notion of Nazi heroism.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

the dude is a propagandist for the Golden Dawn
lots of NHL talking heads defend the Vegas hockey team though

heyooooooooo

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The bottom line here is that bravery isn't a good in itself, and while it might be technically impressive in some sense that doesn't make it worthy of praise. "Heroic" struggle is distinct from mere bravery, in that it implies they were acting towards some kind of good. You're still giving way too much credit to Nazi apologia by entertaining any notion of Nazi heroism.
Well, the dude's Greek, and the Classical Greek hero does not have to be acting towards some kind of good - he merely has to show manly abilities beyond those of regular men.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

GalacticAcid posted:

That was the quoted individual’s meaning

oh i read it the completely opposite way, my bad.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

freckle posted:

oh i read it the completely opposite way, my bad.

Oh not your fault, a ton of ppl interpreted it that way based on the Tweet's sloppy framing.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, the dude's Greek, and the Classical Greek hero does not have to be acting towards some kind of good - he merely has to show manly abilities beyond those of regular men.

Greek heroes are also tragic figures who are doomed by their struggles with the capricious nature of the gods. Remember who the Nazis were we’re struggling against?

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Greek heroes are also tragic figures who are doomed by their struggles with the capricious nature of the gods. Remember who the Nazis were we’re struggling against?

basically Stalin was a god?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Teal posted:

Finally something we can all agree on.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Teal posted:

If Stalin was the god of Jewish Bolshevism, sure.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/bergopolis/status/997202671433007107?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.somethingawful.com%2F

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
I threw rocks into the ocean when I was living in California. So sorry for causing the rising ocean levels.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/994557200453402624

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

cursed image

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

https://twitter.com/RealCandaceO/status/997165058122813440

she's burning out a little faster than i thought

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

It's a competitive market. Gotta pump the loving gas if you want to keep in it.

Frankly, the eliciting anger scene is just too crowded lately. Everyone knows eliciting despair is the real untapped market. Witness:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sarah Silverman has always been a total weirdo, doesn't have nothing to do with babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/trump2021/status/996985986566500352

LOCK HER UP (unironically)