Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kanos posted:

I, too, don't like Unicorn very much, but unfortunately it's been pushed extremely hard so any other material made in the future is going to assume it happened.

Elle and Beecha do really well for themselves but at no point do they really take on any serious named aces without Judau holding their hand. If anything the events of ZZ make Quattro getting dunked on by Haman even more understandable because Judau piloting the ZZ Gundam at its full potential still couldn't put Haman down in a duel until Haman decided to commit suicide.

Elle holds up the entire Neo-Zeon army in the Mark 2 at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

"Bad in concept, good in execution" is kind of a meaningless frame since it could be applied to most anything if you're being superficial and reductive enough. The negative associations with certain traits are mostly results of execution in and of themselves, since a talented character being labeled "fanfic-y" is on account of amateur stories avoiding genuine struggle for their leads instead of using traits like that to inform their character while they still struggle regardless or are otherwise interestingly utilized.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yea, I almost immediately regretted the word choice to be honest. I just meant that Reiji doesn't really struggle, grow or develop much over the course of the show and that it's more his interactions with Sei, Aila and Ricardo among others that make him enjoyable instead of any notably interesting uses of the character.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

tsob posted:

He's not really omni-talented though. He's a good pilot and decent soldier/commander who's the son of a leader from a place that seems to have a faux sovereign government (his father was expected to be able to name a successor for instance), so being able to fence isn't really all that much of a stretch. Outside that we don't really see any other major skills in 0079, Zeta or Char's Counterattack. Even the revenge thing is questionable, since none of his careful planning for positioning by defeating the Gundam and White Base in the first dozen episodes of 0079 nets him squat, and he only ever accomplishes anything by taking advantage of situations he had no real part in. He's also one of the weakest magic brain power people in the setting, and even in the finale of 0079 he wonders if he really is one as he gets ready to use a magic brain powered specialized unit.

What? The Hyaku Shiki is a failed prototype of the Zeta, that is equal to or better than the Mk II in every way and the only thing it's notably worse than Zeta for is that it can't transform. Instead it has anti-beam coating, which is less of a straight downgrade and more of a different upgrade really.

Re: Char, Origin fleshes the idea that he's omni-talented out a lot more. He's an extremely competent fighter, a devious schemer, and utterly sociopathic and ruthless when it comes to literally everything but his sister and Lalah. All of his plans would have gone pretty much perfectly if he hadn't run into a magic newtype boy and his invincible mobile suit, and even then he's able to capitalize on the White Base's interference to murder Garma while leaving his own hands mostly clean of direct involvement. This puts him in the doghouse with Dozle but he's able to worm his way back by playing to Kycilia, which then puts him in place to murder her. He's a smart dude.

The Methuss is also a prototype of the Zeta and it's a piece of poo poo, so that doesn't really indicate much. The Hyaku Shiki is a half-completed prototype of the Delta Gundam that was repurposed to a functional battle state because the AEUG was dying for functional mobile suits. It's substantially better than a grunt but implying that it has a remotely fair matchup against the new stuff the Titans are rolling off the lines(like suits with functional transformation systems, for instance) or god forbid the Qubeley isn't really right.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Elle holds up the entire Neo-Zeon army in the Mark 2 at one point.

She does, but it's entirely offscreen and it's not entirely clear how much of the Neo Zeon army is left at that point due to the apocalyptic civil war. It's not like she gets a scene where she pops a bunch of Gallus Ks like Amuro popped the Rick Dom squadron.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kanos posted:

She does, but it's entirely offscreen and it's not entirely clear how much of the Neo Zeon army is left at that point due to the apocalyptic civil war. It's not like she gets a scene where she pops a bunch of Gallus Ks like Amuro popped the Rick Dom squadron.

In my heart, there is.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Should have out all the heroes in Nemos.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
After watching the first two Origin movies, I have two big thoughts;

1) Char is even more terrible than I thought
2) Never in my life has the question “does Kycilia Zabi sleep commando” ever crossed my mind, nor did I ever want it answered.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

Re: Char, Origin fleshes the idea that he's omni-talented out a lot more.

I haven't read or watched that part of Origins so I didn't want to speak to it, but I've heard his character is rather overdone there so I left it out deliberately. It wasn't the original view of the character by his credited creator after all, so I don't really see a problem with not counting it when considering Char's overall character.

Kanos posted:

All of his plans would have gone pretty much perfectly if he hadn't run into a magic newtype boy and his invincible mobile suit, and even then he's able to capitalize on the White Base's interference to murder Garma while leaving his own hands mostly clean of direct involvement. This puts him in the doghouse with Dozle but he's able to worm his way back by playing to Kycilia, which then puts him in place to murder her. He's a smart dude.

His plans were only made possibly by the existence of said Newtype boy in the first place; since he was relying on using the defeat of the Federation's newest weapons after they had become a known quantity to get him some praise from and proximity to members of the Zabi household beyond Garma. He never indicates any plans to get closer to the Zabis that dont' include the Gundam and White Base, and while he presumably had some before he found out they existed; those plans were obviously relying on a slower timeline and may have had more points of failure or need for improvisation. That he could capitalize on Garma's naivety does speak to his opportunistic intelligence, but it also establishes his impatience since it meant he was in the doghouse with the rest of the Zabis as you say with no plans for how to get out of that doghouse. It was Kycilia that instructed her men to reach out to Char and recruit him to her Newtype corps because she knew of his identity and possible powers, not any effort of his own. That she knew of his identity despite his efforts to hide behind a mask and assumed identity speaks to him not being as great at the mystery man schtick as he'd like too.

Kanos posted:

The Methuss is also a prototype of the Zeta and it's a piece of poo poo, so that doesn't really indicate much. The Hyaku Shiki is a half-completed prototype of the Delta Gundam that was repurposed to a functional battle state because the AEUG was dying for functional mobile suits. It's substantially better than a grunt but implying that it has a remotely fair matchup against the new stuff the Titans are rolling off the lines (like suits with functional transformation systems, for instance) or god forbid the Qubeley isn't really right.

It's probably a good thing I didn't say it was their match so; only that it wasn't worse than the MkII. I wouldn't say it was substantially worse than many Titans suits either though, since only a couple of them had transformation systems and/or substantially better weapons than it. The Asshimar for instance could transform, giving it greater maneuverability, especially in atmosphere, but it was rather limited in it's weapons options and really only had two smaller beam guns built in to the unit while the Hyaku Shiki could equip things like the Mega Bazooka Launcher if need be. The Asshimar is still a superior suit, just not by a huge leap or anything in my opinion. The Qubeley on the other hand, also had no transformation and it's major advantage was in it's funnels. Which is a huge advantage, but the suit itself isn't that much greater than the Hyaku Shiki and it's Haman herself and the funnels that make it so dangerous.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Should have put all the heroes in NemosBarzams.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 17, 2018

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Are we forgetting the part where Amuro is basically invincible to Zakus at the start of MSG and Char manages to fight him to a standstill by making him waste all of his ammo and destroying his shield? Which is infinitely more than 99% of other pilots we see where they all get murdered instantly in one shot by the beam rifle.

Amuro and Char are both definitely not over Lalah by Zeta. Amuro has such bad PTSD over it that refuses to go to space because he's scared of being haunted by her and its only because the Earth is going to be destroyed by Char Aznable, a man that only he can defeat, that he finally goes up to space and continues to have nightmares about it 14 years later!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

tsob posted:

His plans were only made possibly by the existence of said Newtype boy in the first place; since he was relying on using the defeat of the Federation's newest weapons after they had become a known quantity to get him some praise from and proximity to members of the Zabi household beyond Garma. He never indicates any plans to get closer to the Zabis that dont' include the Gundam and White Base, and while he presumably had some before he found out they existed; those plans were obviously relying on a slower timeline and may have had more points of failure or need for improvisation. That he could capitalize on Garma's naivety does speak to his opportunistic intelligence, but it also establishes his impatience since it meant he was in the doghouse with the rest of the Zabis as you say with no plans for how to get out of that doghouse. It was Kycilia that instructed her men to reach out to Char and recruit him to her Newtype corps because she knew of his identity and possible powers, not any effort of his own. That she knew of his identity despite his efforts to hide behind a mask and assumed identity speaks to him not being as great at the mystery man schtick as he'd like too.

He entered the Zeon military with the intent of working his way up to a position of authority in order to kill the Zabis. By the start of the show he's taking orders from Dozle Zabi personally because he distinguished himself at Loum to the point where he's a dark legend among other pilots, and he's personal "friends" with Garma. Char was on his way up the ladder before anyone knew the White Base existed, and the White Base and the Gundam basically hosed up his entire time table horribly by kicking his rear end repeatedly and tarnishing his reputation/throwing him out of favor so he had to move up his plans sharply and take a shot at Garma that didn't leave his hands entirely clean.

Kycilia knew who he was and how dangerous he could potentially be, but he played the loyal soldier well enough that she was legitimately surprised when Char showed up to bazooka her in the face.

quote:

It's probably a good thing I didn't say it was their match so; only that it wasn't worse than the MkII. I wouldn't say it was substantially worse than many Titans suits either though, since only a couple of them had transformation systems and/or substantially better weapons than it. The Asshimar for instance could transform, giving it greater maneuverability, especially in atmosphere, but it was rather limited in it's weapons options and really only had two smaller beam guns built in to the unit while the Hyaku Shiki could equip things like the Mega Bazooka Launcher if need be. The Asshimar is still a superior suit, just not by a huge leap or anything in my opinion. The Qubeley on the other hand, also had no transformation and it's major advantage was in it's funnels. Which is a huge advantage, but the suit itself isn't that much greater than the Hyaku Shiki and it's Haman herself and the funnels that make it so dangerous.

"This one of a kind suit piloted by Char is slightly worse than an early series mass production Titans suit" is a pretty glowing review. :v:

The Mega Bazooka Launcher isn't actually a piece of equipment integral to the Hyaku Shiki, it's an independent artillery piece hooked up to an external power source that could be operated by pretty much any mobile suit with hands. It's basically a higher output version of the Big Guns from Thunderbolt, or an earlier version of the Hi Nu's Hyper Mega Bazooka Launcher. Theoretically they could have fired that thing with a Rick Dias or the Dijeh.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I don't have much to add to this Char debate because he's a giant child with no emotional maturity.

I do want to say that Flay is a total oval office. She's one of the worst female characters in a Gundam series. Katejina is probably worse, but she gets so much less screen time.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't think Flay is supposed to be sympathetic. She is at best clueless.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

chumbler posted:

I don't think Flay is supposed to be sympathetic. She is at best clueless.

She isn't but she has absolutely nothing that makes you want to empathize with her at all. I know SEED is very black/white about its morality but her character is not only terrible, but not really valuable in anyway to what is going on for the amount of play she gets. She's nominally someone who could/should be at some level sympathetic but I think they liked her character model and just had no idea what to do with her.

vvv FWIW she gets captured around ep 35 so not really half the show, but I guess the last 1/3rd she's going to cry in a closet. I still can't remember much about the end game to this show.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 17, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Flay is pretty unrepentantly a bad person. She has a moment of pathos when her dad dies and her response to that tragedy is "coordinators are loving monsters, i'm going to sexually manipulate this one into killing all of the others" and then she gets captured by Rau, does nothing for half the show, and dies. Her idealized "tragic" death is definitely from Kira's perspective because he never really knew how she was just using him while despising what he was.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Flay feels like there was supposed to be more to her story. The way she got pushed out of the show after she left the Archangel left her hanging and incomplete feeling. I wonder how things would have turned out if they had kept her as being the pilot of the Strike Rouge. I'm not saying she wouldn't be horrible or that she wasn't going to get a tragic death because Gundam, but it really does seem like the last chunk of her arc got edited out.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

EthanSteele posted:

Are we forgetting the part where Amuro is basically invincible to Zakus at the start of MSG and Char manages to fight him to a standstill by making him waste all of his ammo and destroying his shield? Which is infinitely more than 99% of other pilots we see where they all get murdered instantly in one shot by the beam rifle.

The only way Char ever meaningfully damaged the Gundam's shield in a Zaku II was by blowing a hole in it with the Zaku II's bazooka and then slicing a big chunk out of it with the Zaku II's heat hawk. The Gundam wasn't invincible to Zaku IIs, it was invincible to their machine guns. Which was their standard weapon, but not their only one; though I think Char was the only pilot who really used other weapons in the first dozen episodes. Regardless, Char started using weapons capable of destroying luna titanium armor by episode 4.

EthanSteele posted:

Amuro and Char are both definitely not over Lalah by Zeta. Amuro has such bad PTSD over it that refuses to go to space because he's scared of being haunted by her and its only because the Earth is going to be destroyed by Char Aznable, a man that only he can defeat, that he finally goes up to space and continues to have nightmares about it 14 years later!

He doesn't have nightmares though; he's right to be scared of Lalah haunting him because that's exactly what happens. At the same time, within a handful of episodes of introduction in Zeta Gundam he meets and starts dating Beltorchika and starts piloting mobile suits despite his fear of them. He's afraid of Lalah's ghost, but it's not socially or emotionally stunting him much, if at all. He also goes to space years before Char's Counterattack, and even in the movie Amuro and Bright talk about how they've been searching the colonies for signs of Char for two years to try and find out what he's up to. He was back in space long before Char reappeared or made his plan to bombard the Earth with asteriods explicit. Char has even less problems with Lalah's death, and while he misses her presence he seems about as fine as a person can be about a dead partner outside that. He's the one trying to help Amuro get over his reticience to go back to space and help fight the Titans; including talking to him about Lalah.

Kanos posted:

He entered the Zeon military with the intent of working his way up to a position of authority in order to kill the Zabis. By the start of the show he's taking orders from Dozle Zabi personally because he distinguished himself at Loum to the point where he's a dark legend among other pilots, and he's personal "friends" with Garma. Char was on his way up the ladder before anyone knew the White Base existed, and the White Base and the Gundam basically hosed up his entire time table horribly by kicking his rear end repeatedly and tarnishing his reputation/throwing him out of favor so he had to move up his plans sharply and take a shot at Garma that didn't leave his hands entirely clean.

There's nothing about Luom in the show, and while he's working for Dozle he doesn't seem to be able to use it to physically approach Dozle. Hence why he thinks about how to use the destruction of the Gundam and White Base to increase his standing within Zeon at the start of the show.

Kanos posted:

"This one of a kind suit piloted by Char is slightly worse than an early series mass production Titans suit" is a pretty glowing review. :v:

Do we ever actually see it mass produced in Zeta? I thought there were only a couple of them produced. It was actually the Gaplant I was thinking of anyway, not the Asshimar; which has a regular beam rifle and not two built in beam guns. It's introduced at almost the same time, but seems more dangerous if for no other reason than a cyber newtype uses it. That aside, the point is that looking at the Gundam Wikia there are maybe 10 Titans units better than the Hyaku Shiki (Asshimar, Gaplant, Messala, Gabthley, Baund Doc, Hambrabi, Byaralant, Palace Athena, Balinoak Sammahn and The O) along with 1 Neo Zeon unit (the Qubeley) and several of them are really only better in a specific context i.e. atmospheric use, because of their ability to transform. Even then, most of those transformable atmospheric use mobile suits have fairly limited weapon choices. And I don't think any of them are mass produced in the show.

It also just struck me that Kamille is the only pilot using a transformable unit in the finale. All of Scirocco's designs are non-transformable by that time, as is the Qubeley and they're dangerous more for their range of weapons, biosensors or funnels rather than maneuverability.

Kanos posted:

The Mega Bazooka Launcher isn't actually a piece of equipment integral to the Hyaku Shiki, it's an independent artillery piece hooked up to an external power source that could be operated by pretty much any mobile suit with hands. It's basically a higher output version of the Big Guns from Thunderbolt, or an earlier version of the Hi Nu's Hyper Mega Bazooka Launcher. Theoretically they could have fired that thing with a Rick Dias or the Dijeh.

It was actually the unit's bazooka I was thinking of, and thought it was a beam one rather than shooting physical rounds for some reason.

Kanos posted:

Flay is pretty unrepentantly a bad person. She has a moment of pathos when her dad dies and her response to that tragedy is "coordinators are loving monsters, i'm going to sexually manipulate this one into killing all of the others" and then she gets captured by Rau, does nothing for half the show, and dies. Her idealized "tragic" death is definitely from Kira's perspective because he never really knew how she was just using him while despising what he was.

Fllay is absolutely a lovely person at the start of SEED, but she's also the most human of the cast because she acts from a place of fear and anger. It results in making her even shittier, but I find it to be in a sympathetic way. Once she's kidnapped by Rau she sees the other side and has a complete turn of character too; to the point she's kind of sickeningly nice and good by the end.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Char was using weaponry that could damage the Gundam by episode 4 with the standard armament Heat Hawk every Zaku II has but was the only one that managed to ever do anything to the Gundam. That supports what is being said about Char being good and certainly a cut above most pilots.

I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree about how "over" his PTSD in regards to Lalah Amuro was considering he was fine living under what was basically house arrest until Zeta happens (which seems to be socially stunting by definition, he mentions having pretty much no visitors to Mirai in Zeta) rather than get involved doing anything and still refuses to go to space. Amuro literally says in the movie, after he has his nightmare "the dreams have started again" which implies that he isn't over Lalah at all, but again, we'll have to agree to disagree with our interpretations which is fine. I've just honestly never seen anyone with the take that Amuro and Char are at any point not messed up over Lalah considering multiple sequences that explicitly state that these guys are messed up over Lalah from multiple sources within a work, some of which are even Amuro and Char themselves and not just Gyunei poo poo-stirring trying to imply Char is a tiny dicked pedophile.

I agree that I think Char said the thing about Lalah to Amuro at the end of CCA to be a shitbag, but I don't think he was making it up and lying about his feelings.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

tsob posted:

I think they were both over it by Zeta honestly.

char was about as far from "over it" as you can possibly get

amuro never really got over it either but was a human being instead of a hosed-up series of masks so he managed to remain a functioning person

e:

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I don't have much to add to this Char debate because he's a giant child with no emotional maturity.

basically yeah

it's interesting that he and amuro end up in each-other's shoes by the end, with char having an emotional breakdown mid-fight and amuro being the confident ace

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 18, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

EthanSteele posted:

Char was using weaponry that could damage the Gundam by episode 4 with the standard armament Heat Hawk every Zaku II has but was the only one that managed to ever do anything to the Gundam. That supports what is being said about Char being good and certainly a cut above most pilots.

Oh, I wasn't trying to say Char wasn't a good pilot; because he certainly is. I just meant that the Hyaku Shiki wasn't as terrible for it's time as someone else said and that he was using standard weaponry to damage the Gundam's shield in his Zaku II.

EthanSteele posted:

I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree about how "over" his PTSD in regards to Lalah Amuro was considering he was fine living under what was basically house arrest until Zeta happens (which seems to be socially stunting by definition, he mentions having pretty much no visitors to Mirai in Zeta) rather than get involved doing anything and still refuses to go to space. Amuro literally says in the movie, after he has his nightmare "the dreams have started again" which implies that he isn't over Lalah at all, but again, we'll have to agree to disagree with our interpretations which is fine. I've just honestly never seen anyone with the take that Amuro and Char are at any point not messed up over Lalah considering multiple sequences that explicitly state that these guys are messed up over Lalah from multiple sources within a work, some of which are even Amuro and Char themselves and not just Gyunei poo poo-stirring trying to imply Char is a tiny dicked pedophile.

Amuro and Char never say they're not over her though. I think we're also viewing the dreams of Lalah a bit differently. You seem to interpret it as just actual dreams, where as it seems like Lalah's actual Newtype ghost invading his dreams to me. Char speaks of her as an actual presence in Zeta, and in Char's Counterattack she seems to have too much agency to be merely a dream. Amuro saying the dreams have started again to me only means that Lalah hasn't invaded his dreams in some time. The timing also makes it seem more than just a dream, since it happens just after Amuro fights Char for the first time in years and just before their final confrontation.

I'd also like to know what more you think they'd have to do to be "over" Lalah? They can speak to each other about her without getting emotional, both of them have relationships after her and seem able to socialize fine for instance. In Char's Counterattack Char himself also tries to appeal to Amuro during their duel over Axis to remember how he felt when he killed Lalah, seemingly to try and turn Amuro against the Federation by making him consider the fact he's had to kill other Newtypes because of his association with them. The death of a loved one isn't really something anyone ever completely recovers from, but both of them seem about as over Lalah as one can reasonably become.

The one thing that would make me think otherwise is that Char never seems invested in any relationship after Lalah (Reccoa and Nanai). At the same time though, Char not being fully invested in a relationship doesn't really strike me as unusual given Char's personality. Lalah seems to be the exception rather than the rule for Char, and able to become close to him because she could understand him on an intuitive level neither Reccoa or Nanai ever does.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Qubeley is absolutely dangerous for its mobility. Its whole thing is that it has a perfected binder system that makes it almost as fast as and considerably more agile than a mobile armour despite being a (mostly) non-transforming MS. Plus the psycommu system, which lets it manoeuvre at the speed of thought.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Yinlock posted:

amuro never really got over it either but was a human being instead of a hosed-up series of masks so he managed to remain a functioning person

Hell, Amuro was even a flying/mobile suit instructor between 0079 and Zeta. While he was always under watch, he could pretty much do whatever the gently caress he wanted. Beltorchika even mentioned that Amuro socialized fairly well when she met him prior to Zeta. And despite initially not wanting to get into the Mk II or even go to space because of Lalah, he puts that aside and pilots for Londo Bell for another half decade.

He never really 100% got over it, but he did as well as he could, still remains functional and has functional relationships (even if he is a bit distant), and approaches his position pretty professionally (he’s not the ultimate coordinator newtype or some poo poo upholding justice in his mind; he’s just there to do a job to make sure people don’t do things like throw giant asteroids at Earth).

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Because Amuro says "the dreams have started again" to himself, in private, in a purely expositional fashion to the audience, I think its supposed to mean that the dreams have started again and not that Lalah is invading his dreams again, or he probably would have been written to have said "Lalah is invading my dreams again". At the very least he himself considers them dreams, whether they are or not.

If Amuro and Char are over Lalah then why is her ghost showing up and being a thing in the film at all? Even the madman Tomino wouldn't have her show up and it be completely meaningless and pointless. The fact that she shows up in the movie at all, either as a dream or actual force ghost with Amuro yelling "you can't keep me and Char to yourself" is another thing I point to of him not being over it. Either way, he hasn't figuratively or literally exorcised his ghosts.

Yinlock posted:

char was about as far from "over it" as you can possibly get

Pretty much this! Just because Amuro is "mostly" over it or as "over it as he can be" doesn't mean he is over it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

EthanSteele posted:

If Amuro and Char are over Lalah then why is her ghost showing up and being a thing in the film at all?

Because she's was an important part of their lives and that's necessary to explain to the audience, since it's not assumed they know the entire story of the main characters going in? Because she and Amuro argue over Char's worth? And her position that he is pure (which Amuro himself says in Zeta, though disagrees with by Char's Counterattack) helps push the idea that Char is kind of childish in general but not entirely bad so much as misguided? Because having her Newtype ghost show up helps prepare the audience for the kind of Newtype shenanigans in the finale (for instance, Chan's ghost hijacking the psycoframe sample), especially when the main characters die in said finale and her existence shows that Newtypes at the very least live on after death?

EthanSteele posted:

Just because Amuro is "mostly" over it or as "over it as he can be" doesn't mean he is over it.

A meaningless distinction. No-one ever gets over the death of a loved one entirely; it's always a presence in their lives going forward that they adjust to and come to terms with. Saying someone has gotten over it is essentially synonymous with that. Acting like only Amuro and/or Char are as "over as they can be" suggests that it's possible for most people to truly get over the death of a loved one. What more exactly should they have done? Gone around in "Lalah was a loser" t-shirts?

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 18, 2018

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
So what’s everyone’s favorite ship in Gundam? I’ve always liked the Musai, especially the 0083 “Late type design”.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The Sadalahn is rad. The Dogosse Gier and Alexandria are also cool, but the Musai's tiny boat that it can launch is top tier.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

If you don't say the Adrastea from Victory Gundam, you are lying to yourself.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

LuiCypher posted:

I just might be if I denied it. (Especially considering it's the only ship I have a kit of).

That said, the Isaribi's definitely up there for me, CGI or no.

Post Disaster ships are some of the most durable to begin with, and Tekkadan's aggressive combat style means it gets to actually do things in combat. There's a lot of neat, creative bits with the Isaribi, and it mostly looks good (not so fond of the bottom fin, though).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

LuiCypher posted:

The Reinforce JR is also pretty good.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ManSedan posted:

So what’s everyone’s favorite ship in Gundam? I’ve always liked the Musai, especially the 0083 “Late type design”.
I like the White Base. In fact, I'd like to jump onto it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Always been a fan of the Argama.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Raxivace posted:

I like the White Base. In fact, I'd like to jump onto it.

I'm a White Base guy too. The Archangel is obviously cut from the same cloth, so I like it as my non-UC ship fav. Hard to find a more likable crew than the classic though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

My absolute favorite is the Albion, to the point that if Bandai released a large scale kit of it along the lines of the PG Millennium Falcon, I'd totally get it if I could.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Has to be the Ra Cailum. Just different enough to other Feddie ships to be interesting.

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 19, 2018

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Actually, I never thought about why I liked the Albion so much until just now, and honestly I think between the relatively narrow front fork and how wide everything gets around the back, it reminds me of the SDF-1.

Which, I guess, given that it's a Kawamori design, it all kinda clicks into place. And now I wanna see a Macross style transformation for the Albion.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Actually, I never thought about why I liked the Albion so much until just now, and honestly I think between the relatively narrow front fork and how wide everything gets around the back, it reminds me of the SDF-1.

Which, I guess, given that it's a Kawamori design, it all kinda clicks into place. And now I wanna see a Macross style transformation for the Albion.

Do remember that the Macross was explicitly inspired by the White Base. So I guess that’s a recursive reference there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

God, that just makes me picture Minmei Nina.

Nina boyfriend is a pilot!
Kou: :D
Nina: Not you.
Gato: :smug:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I love ships in IBO just because they're no longer fragile things that get merced easily by a single mobile suit. The three Gundam-tier suits facing against more than 5 ships and Tekkadan going "We're so hosed" was a highlight for me.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I liked the Girty Lue.

I bet on the wrong horse in the ship race

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The IBO ship designs are cool, too. They’re really clean and stylish compared to the jumbled masses of turrets, fuel tanks, and launch catapults you tend to get in the UC. I’m pretty sure that Gyobu was deliberately riffing on Star Destroyers with the Gjallarhorn Halfbeaks (with the Skipjack as the Executor), and it works very nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

I love ships in IBO just because they're no longer fragile things that get merced easily by a single mobile suit. The three Gundam-tier suits facing against more than 5 ships and Tekkadan going "We're so hosed" was a highlight for me.

Eh, sort of. The IBO ships are tough but in that case it wasn't ships but numbers that scared them because IBO always tried to emphasize that numbers were a big deal. We're shown in IBO that a single mobile suit can take out ships in the same way they can in the UC or other settings (going for the bridge for one, like Mika does to that one Teiwaz dude.) Most ships in the post-MS rarely are that vulnerable to anything short of big-name attacks or having their bridge targeted. Stuff like the Archangel or Diva can shrug off sustained fire and even the White Base or Argama take a lot to actually put down.