Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Terrible Opinions posted:

The Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity from AD&D didn't have the natural 1 neuters you caveat. It just mentioned that the remove gender belt was an uncommon variant of the one that swapped you. So this is a new adaptation original to Paizo.

Ah, good catch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Kurieg posted:

It's more that while they as players would like to escape the difficulties, they want to see their struggle reflected in the media they consume.

There's also the fact that "Belt of Gender Change" is a cursed item.
e: Uhh, actually

Paizo what the gently caress.

The Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity from AD&D didn't have the natural 1 neuters you caveat. It just mentioned that the remove gender belt was an uncommon variant of the one that swapped you. So this is a new adaptation original to Paizo.

Munchkin is a bad game, but I like that the gender changing wearable in the game is called Freudian Slippers.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

unseenlibrarian posted:

Paizo also introduced an alchemical treatment that's basically hormone therapy that you take over a series of weeks/months to transition for folks who can't afford magic one-shot belts, for exactly that reason.
That's actually pretty neat. Doesn't make up for the nonsense with the girdle, though.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

TheChirurgeon posted:

Ah, good catch

I'm reasonably certain it wasn't in 3rd edition either (I couldn't find it in the DMG to verify though so I can't remember what book it was in). But I do know that it's a belt because it means you can turn your barbarian's shiny new belt of ogre strength into a belt of "lawl you don't got a dick."

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kurieg posted:

I'm reasonably certain it wasn't in 3rd edition either (I couldn't find it in the DMG to verify though so I can't remember what book it was in). But I do know that it's a belt because it means you can turn your barbarian's shiny new belt of ogre strength into a belt of "lawl you don't got a dick."

I'm pretty sure the "uncommon variant that steals your gender" was what I was thinking of, and that would have fit with how we randomly determined treasure/magic items back in the day. I guess it's kind of the same, only without having a set mechanic for loving you over

e: moreso than the item you thought was going to increase your strength already does, I mean

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dawgstar posted:

I have no idea what 'loudly woke' companies he's claiming have less representation that WotC but I will assume it's the 'ones he doesn't like' so all of them.

It could be Paizo depending on how "indie" it counts as nowadays. Probably Evil Hat, too, because Zak has a special grudge against them and I've seen Zak defenders attack them for having a hypocritical lack of diversity. I don't know enough about their staff to say if that's true or not.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Visible diversity. [Redacted] seems to think that companies will loudly crow about any and all minority groups they employ and thus a company that doesn't obviously doesn't have any.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Evil Hat did get some stick when they put out their first call for writers for Fate Worlds and chose no-one but cis white men (me included). Then when people pointed this out they said 'oh yeah, that kind of sucks' and set out to intentionally hire women, people of colour, etc. for the next rounds of Worlds, and have tried to keep that up going forward.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

potatocubed posted:

Evil Hat did get some stick when they put out their first call for writers for Fate Worlds and chose no-one but cis white men (me included). Then when people pointed this out they said 'oh yeah, that kind of sucks' and set out to intentionally hire women, people of colour, etc. for the next rounds of Worlds, and have tried to keep that up going forward.

pretty much yea. Evil Hat got a bit of shade for their open call resulting in entirely cis white dudes, they said 'woops yea that was dumb huh?' and since then have tried to have more open and diverse selections and most people seem happy with that.

It's so weird, it's almost like the best way to handle this stuff is to just go 'oh, yea, ok I'll do better' and going Zak's route of spending years of your life picking at the scab of a grudge you're holding against the evil minorities is what weird losers who are toxic to everyone around them do.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

sexpig by night posted:

pretty much yea. Evil Hat got a bit of shade for their open call resulting in entirely cis white dudes, they said 'woops yea that was dumb huh?' and since then have tried to have more open and diverse selections and most people seem happy with that.

It's so weird, it's almost like the best way to handle this stuff is to just go 'oh, yea, ok I'll do better' and going Zak's route of spending years of your life picking at the scab of a grudge you're holding against the evil minorities is what weird losers who are toxic to everyone around them do.

It's crisis management 101:
1. Admit the problem
2. Person in charge issues an apology
3. Overcorrect--tell everyone it's not going to happen again, and here's why

People love to move on from poo poo, and it's loving astounding to me how bad companies/politicians at every level gently caress this up.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I think another issue is that most indie rpg companies are so small it is hard to hire someone based solely on gender/race ect when you employ a low single digit number of people. Paizo has no excuse.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I think another issue is that most indie rpg companies are so small it is hard to hire someone based solely on gender/race ect when you employ a low single digit number of people. Paizo has no excuse.

you can't hire solely on gender/race even in the "good direction" anyways. It's a protected class, and that works both ways. You can say that you've got "diversity initiatives" to improve the company, but you can't say "we're only hiring women/POC for this role"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I get what you're trying to say, but that construction is pretty demeaning to people, regardless of intent.

What is fair to say is that small companies have very tight resources and usually consist of a handful of people who knew each other beforehand - in other words, there were no hires in the first place - which makes it very difficult for them to diversify. However those companies can and should do their best to commission items (art, freelance pieces, open calls, etc.) from diverse creators and offer support/signal boosting to other companies that are composed of underrepresented and/or marginalized groups.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Even that's probably a weird experience if you haven't done it before, given that most people in the industry are finding their art hires on DeviantArt and can't necessarily tell what color somebody is based on their ability to draw ninjas.

Does anybody know of any good articles on how to effectively and respectfully diversify your hires in a small online industry?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Step 1: remember that Twitter hashtags like #pocart or #SouthAsianArtists or #queerartists or other stuff exist and is a way better resource than randomwalking Deviantart.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I get what you're trying to say, but that construction is pretty demeaning to people, regardless of intent.

Talking about anything related these sorts of things is basically a literal minefield. As someone who has been a life long fan of roleplaying I am glad that some people are really pushing to increase diversity. That just means more options for things to choose from! A fantasy book from a Trans Person-of-Color has a much higher chance to be something interesting compared to a cis white male solely on the strength of cis white males producing 99% of what is out there.

At the end of the day, the RPG industry is so tiny that the bigger companies are going to have to be the be the ones to push for this. If I didn't follow a few threads here I would have no idea about so many games that are out there, and a ton less about creators I should avoid for being toxic.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Visible diversity. [Redacted] seems to think that companies will loudly crow about any and all minority groups they employ and thus a company that doesn't obviously doesn't have any.

It did feel like he was talking about Phoenix the same way others talk about their black friend.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
More notable RE: Pathfinder's trans woman character is that they...absolutely didn't put her in their picture for International Women's Day until called out about it.

Also, Paizo is in fact increasingly just white dudes, especially as you get to their upper management, and it's getting worse. There was something of an inner struggle in the company between the parts that wanted their not being a shithead thing to be more then just performative, and those that wanted to still be lovely, but say they weren't for PR purposes, and the latter half absolutely won.

EDIT: They're also literally making their orcs more racist by turning them into straight up gorilla-people now so, good job, Paizo.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 17, 2018

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

In more technical fields the best way to increase diversity is just to have your first round of interviews be blind skill tests. Minorities applying for a given job are going to be more skilled than their non-minority counterparts due to discrimination forcing them to apply for lower station jobs relative to skill. The Indian woman applying for a given engineering job has had to work significantly harder than the white guy applying for that same job and is almost certainly more skilled.

Not sure how you'd do that in a field where everything is more subjective like writing though.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

In more technical fields the best way to increase diversity is just to have your first round of interviews be blind skill tests. Minorities applying for a given job are going to be more skilled than their non-minority counterparts due to discrimination forcing them to apply for lower station jobs relative to skill. The Indian woman applying for a given engineering job has had to work significantly harder than the white guy applying for that same job and is almost certainly more skilled.

Not sure how you'd do that in a field where everything is more subjective like writing though.

Or a field that often rewards poor skills lol.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

You Know Who behind the D&D Und Adult Entertainment Stars went on an interesting little tirade on Twitter:

Why are you following him on Twitter?

Or is this account named Shannon Appelcline or something :ohdear:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ettin posted:

Why are you following him on Twitter?

Or is this account named Shannon Appelcline or something :ohdear:

Caught a lucky retweet from somebody else. I may not know what the word 'lucky' means.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

In orchestras they do blind auditions, and it really changed things. You could do blind writing samples too.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Flavivirus posted:

So I'm not 100% on the history, but I've been on G+ since the beginning and what really turned it into an RPG space in my experience was when Sage LaTorra - Dungeon World author and google employee - shared his tabletop RPG circle and got everyone to add themselves into it, way back in July 2014. Though whether Satine was instrumental there or not, she has nothing to do with the matter at hand, which is that Zak is an rear end in a top hat using his friends as a weapon to fight his culture war.

Excuse me, Zak doesn't use his friends as a weapon.

He uses everyone he possibly can! :v:

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

In orchestras they do blind auditions, and it really changed things. You could do blind writing samples too.

My favorite thing about blind orchestra auditions is that it didn't work when they first started.
They could tell men from women based on the sounds they made while walking on stage because the women wore heels.
It fixed when they had auditioners remove their shoes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

garthoneeye posted:

My favorite thing about blind orchestra auditions is that it didn't work when they first started.
They could tell men from women based on the sounds they made while walking on stage because the women wore heels.
It fixed when they had auditioners remove their shoes.

That’s great!

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

So after they gave an unclear comment on their Kickstarter and on Twitter, Pinnacle finally stated that Sean Patrick Fannon is not working in any capacity on upcoming Savage Rifts titles:
https://twitter.com/gourdcaptain/status/997544802760691713
https://twitter.com/PEG_Games/status/998641925728153605

Not exactly the clearest response and it was him leaving on his own, but that's where it is right now.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

ProfessorCirno posted:

More notable RE: Pathfinder's trans woman character is that they...absolutely didn't put her in their picture for International Women's Day until called out about it.

Also, Paizo is in fact increasingly just white dudes, especially as you get to their upper management, and it's getting worse. There was something of an inner struggle in the company between the parts that wanted their not being a shithead thing to be more then just performative, and those that wanted to still be lovely, but say they weren't for PR purposes, and the latter half absolutely won.

EDIT: They're also literally making their orcs more racist by turning them into straight up gorilla-people now so, good job, Paizo.
I know what you are getting at but the confusing part of it is that most of that information comes from a person who I've seen harass people over their lovely racist hiring practices.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

You can do blind writing samples but a lot more of the person's identity comes through in those, even from subtle things. There was a joke thread that made the news recently about male writers describing female characters which highlighted a lot of the ways one's gender or sexuality are hard to disguise in the gaze employed in writing. Word choice can often tell you someone's national origin even if they're trying to set a scene in the US. Things like that.

Then of course you get to serious differences of opinion in what constitutes "good" writing. Some people like Faulkner, some like Hemingway, and this is a case where both sides can be right at the same time, but the hiring committee are the ones who get to enforce a preference.

(This sort of thing is vexing in my RL job which is college admissions, where the term "Objective Standard" should be followed by a ten minute long peal of desperate laughter)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

occamsnailfile posted:

You can do blind writing samples but a lot more of the person's identity comes through in those, even from subtle things. There was a joke thread that made the news recently about male writers describing female characters which highlighted a lot of the ways one's gender or sexuality are hard to disguise in the gaze employed in writing. Word choice can often tell you someone's national origin even if they're trying to set a scene in the US. Things like that.

Then of course you get to serious differences of opinion in what constitutes "good" writing. Some people like Faulkner, some like Hemingway, and this is a case where both sides can be right at the same time, but the hiring committee are the ones who get to enforce a preference.

Those sound like good reasons to use blind writing samples though?

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

homullus posted:

Why would you interpret those as good reasons? It means that when you say "blind" they...aren't actually. And reviewers tend to pick writing that adheres to their unconscious (or conscious) biases.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

homullus posted:

The problem is, if the judges are all reading white male authors, their basis of what constitutes "good writing," particularly in what makes an "accurate" depiction of women, minorities, etc., is going to be based on a history of white men's depictions. The blind contest then favors whoever can "write white" best, which is most likely going to get you another white man. This is further compounded by cultural biases that anything that sounds black, for instance, is unintelligent, or how white readers expect stereotypes as realism (see Leonard Chang), which the white writer will happily provide and the other won't think to.

Blind judging is, in general, a good thing, but it's not a magic bullet. People need to consciously choose to look outside their networks and seek out creators who aren't like them. Not just for the hiring process, but in terms of the media they consume every day.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

occamsnailfile posted:

Why would you interpret those as good reasons? It means that when you say "blind" they...aren't actually. And reviewers tend to pick writing that adheres to their unconscious (or conscious) biases.

Precambrian posted:

The problem is, if the judges are all reading white male authors, their basis of what constitutes "good writing," particularly in what makes an "accurate" depiction of women, minorities, etc., is going to be based on a history of white men's depictions. The blind contest then favors whoever can "write white" best, which is most likely going to get you another white man. This is further compounded by cultural biases that anything that sounds black, for instance, is unintelligent, or how white readers expect stereotypes as realism (see Leonard Chang), which the white writer will happily provide and the other won't think to.

Blind judging is, in general, a good thing, but it's not a magic bullet. People need to consciously choose to look outside their networks and seek out creators who aren't like them. Not just for the hiring process, but in terms of the media they consume every day.

I should have added that I understand that it's not blind. But suppose you are looking, actively and explicitly, for something outside the cisgender heterosexual white male TG pool. A blind submission that is unable (or unwilling) to excise the male gaze, or unable/unwilling to adjust language to suit the setting, isn't as good a candidate -- they will cost you more time and editing.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Quick question but can anyone lay out any "good" gaming companies that aren't bad for sexism and such things?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Pelgrane, Evil Hat, and Level 99 come to mind. Of course, a lot of socially progressive stuff tends to come out of indie developers, and those are hard to list inclusively. There are a lot of companies I feel are "neutral" as well, not particularly good or bad, like Fantasy Flight or Pinnacle. And there are companies like Paizo or Onyx Path that can be really progressive on one game line or product and completely walk it back on another.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Pelgrane, Evil Hat, and Level 99 come to mind. Of course, a lot of socially progressive stuff tends to come out of indie developers, and those are hard to list inclusively. There are a lot of companies I feel are "neutral" as well, not particularly good or bad, like Fantasy Flight or Pinnacle. And there are companies like Paizo or Onyx Path that can be really progressive on one game line or product and completely walk it back on another.

What about Chaosium? I really really like Heroquest and I am increasingly coming to the idea that it might not be all that good.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Chaosium is decent enough.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I think WotC falls into the last group as well. I think they've been making really positive and good strides when it comes to the Magic side of things, but of course the DnD side is going to be a fuckin' trash fire as long as Mearls is involved, no matter how many goddamn rainbow dragons he puts on his profile.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Darksaber posted:

I think WotC falls into the last group as well. I think they've been making really positive and good strides when it comes to the Magic side of things, but of course the DnD side is going to be a fuckin' trash fire as long as Mearls is involved, no matter how many goddamn rainbow dragons he puts on his profile.

Who is Mearls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Who is Mearls?

The lead designer of D&D, who is a terrible designer on top of being a piece of poo poo who forwards emails from harassment victims to their harasser.