Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
And then you realize it doesn't even compare to what higher level people can do with it that don't even consider it their bread and butter.

I'm not bitter...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

kimbo305 posted:

Having / arriving at a signature move is one of the most satisfying parts of martial arts -- something that you happened to preferentially practice and refine until you really made it work for you.

Agreed, when I first began guillotining other newbies was my go to move, to the point where I had to stop to make it competitive and get some good rolling in, how ever once they all learnt to avoid it I got my rear end kicked over and over.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

kimbo305 posted:

Having / arriving at a signature move is one of the most satisfying parts of martial arts -- something that you happened to preferentially practice and refine until you really made it work for you.

It was gratifying to discover that the the flying elbow was my signature move, but the opportunity to bust it out doesn't come up very often

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It was gratifying to discover that the the flying elbow was my signature move, but the opportunity to bust it out doesn't come up very often

I see elbows as a problem across striking arts. There's probably plenty of people who would be savants at throwing elbows, but it's hard to spar with them safely and so they get proportionately less time to R&D their technique. Unless they're Thais, I guess.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I see elbows as a problem across striking arts. There's probably plenty of people who would be savants at throwing elbows, but it's hard to spar with them safely and so they get proportionately less time to R&D their technique. Unless they're Thais, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFfq3BkOBC4

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kimbo305 posted:

For me its the Ezekiel choke at the moment because nobody at my gym seems to see it coming. That includes the blue belts.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mine is the moss covered three handled family credenza and the spinning ARMBAR.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Unfunny Poster posted:

For me its the Ezekiel choke at the moment because nobody at my gym seems to see it coming. That includes the blue belts.

I need to learn this, seeing them no gi in the ufc was a real eye opener

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My gym only does gi so its a lot easier to pull off.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Shoryuken from the clinch

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Does anybody have any advice for protecting messed up (broken) toes while doing muay thai?

Do people wrap feet like hands? Is there a particular brand of wrestling shoes that is really good?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

Does anybody have any advice for protecting messed up (broken) toes while doing muay thai?

Do people wrap feet like hands? Is there a particular brand of wrestling shoes that is really good?

My advice is stay home and chill until it heals

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mechafunkzilla posted:

My advice is stay home and chill until it heals

Obviously.

Any answers about wrapping/shoes/protection?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

I have never seen anyone do muay thai with wrestling shoes. you can splint toes together or otherwise essentially duct tape whatever is wrong but if you're breaking your toes while kicking there's not really anything that's gonna help except working on your form & power with your newly healed toes after a nice rest

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Wangsbig posted:

I have never seen anyone do muay thai with wrestling shoes. you can splint toes together or otherwise essentially duct tape whatever is wrong but if you're breaking your toes while kicking there's not really anything that's gonna help except working on your form & power with your newly healed toes after a nice rest

Yeah, I was afraid of that.

It's my wife who's broken the same toe (the one right next to the big toe) multiple times. It's probably her technique, but it's also the people she spars with.

She's way better than me (been doing it much longer), but because she's a she, the trainer always has her spar with these middle aged moms who show up and end up stomping/kicking/etc her right in the toes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

She's way better than me (been doing it much longer), but because she's a she, the trainer always has her spar with these middle aged moms who show up and end up stomping/kicking/etc her right in the toes.
She's getting regularly hit in the toes while standing? My advice was gonna be take a break from kicks and work on all other technique, but wth.

Echoing above that you shouldn't be sparring if you're gonna reinjure yourself right away, but let's just say you're trying to favor a toe on one foot. Kick more deeply and from a closer range so you're landing more on the shin. Don't whiff probing kicks where you start relaxing your foot and let the toes rotate up to the leading edge of the kick. Don't teep at maximum range (same as starting from closer range).

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah, I was afraid of that.

It's my wife who's broken the same toe (the one right next to the big toe) multiple times. It's probably her technique, but it's also the people she spars with.

Why are the middle-aged moms who just started sparring at that school?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The Human Crouton posted:

IDK. I'm a noob.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

The Human Crouton posted:

Its Detroit.....

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

DandyLion posted:

Its Detroit.....

Wouldn't they be Teen Moms then?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Isn't there some mid level mma fighter who ended up amputating that same toe because he couldn't wait for it to heal?

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

Neil Melanson amputated one of his toes but he's a highly sought after trainer

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I did a muay thai class in wrestling shoes once to protect a damaged toe or cover up a cut or something, I don’t remember. I couldn’t spin on the ball of my foot and it screwed everything up. Too sticky.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

Really depends on your gym. I did a bit of thai and even then, i spent more time elbowing bags and targets than people. Even people that had been there for a while spent a lot of time hitting pads. Elbows loving hurt man :ohdear:

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

So today I was training in jujutsu (not brazilian) with a guy two belts ahead of me and he kept telling me to improve my blocks. EVERY. loving. TIME. Our sensei agreed with him and showed me what I was doing wrong, and he made a point to remind me that I'm doing perfectly fine for my level and that what I needed to work on were just tweaks that would improve my overall technique. It still bothered me a lot that I couldn't fine tune this simple block, we're talking white belt poo poo here, and it pissed me off enough that I couldn't really focus on the rest of the moves and instead just focused on trying to nail that loving block and ARGH I'm still pissed off that I couldn't make it. This frustration coupled with our ryu's strict no-swearing-on-the-tatami policy has me posting itt to vent after having lurked for a long time.

Also, hi thread, yellow belt jj eurogoon here.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Do bjj

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

<:mad:> This is why we don't have more tradmartial arts goons around.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

nah thanks

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What do you mean by blocks to strikes? What strikes?

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

kimbo305 posted:

What do you mean by blocks to strikes? What strikes?

Just a basic age-uke to a tetsui, and then going for an elbow strike.

edit: not a tetsui, just a... dunno what it's called, kind of like a wide hook.

Pooper Trooper fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 17, 2018

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Thats probably the more helpful way to phrase it. Judo nerds this applies to you too.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Novum posted:

Thats probably the more helpful way to phrase it. Judo nerds this applies to you too.

Yeah seriously, why use the japanese words for all this stuff? Why not just say things like "hook" or "advance foot sweep" instead of deashebarai or w.e., we aren't Japanese

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

Judo nerds about to kowusei itt

(kowusei means 'form Voltron' in Japanese)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

Yeah seriously, why use the japanese words for all this stuff? Why not just say things like "hook" or "advance foot sweep" instead of deashebarai or w.e., we aren't Japanese

Bow to your sensei!
BOW TO YOUR SENSEI!

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Are you trying to learn those stupid kung fu blocks that don't work in real life?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

willie_dee posted:

Are you trying to learn those stupid kung fu blocks that don't work in real life?

Willie. Willie.
It's jujutsu.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

<:mad:> This is why we don't have more tradmartial arts goons around.

good

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Hi-yaaaaaa motherfuckers

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Lets rank the martial arts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I use SA more as a source of information than comedy and if I was looking to take up a martial art I would prefer to stumble into a thread that just straight up told me there are 5-10 martial arts that work and that the rest are varying levels of garbage instead of a more friendly thread that might get me killed one day because nobody wanted to hurt my feelings so I took up wing chun