Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There’s Mariah Dillard for one, Cottonmouth called her by her nickname once in the series and she almost took his head for it. In the comics she’s Black Mariah, a 400lbs Black woman that drove an old black mariah around town to steal bodies so she can loot their stuff. Shades too, in the comics he’s basically a black version of Cyclops.

For animals there’s also;
Mr. Fish
The Bison
The Eel
Cheshire
El Aguila
Bengal

For punny names there’s;
Gideon Mace, kind of like the punisher but he has a giant mace for a hand
Big Ben, a really tall black British dude
Moses Magnum, use your imagination for that one
Big Brother, just a really tall and smart black dude

He also has a long history with the Wrecking Crew. They’re a bunch of mystical villains that got their powers of destruction while holding a crowbar enchanted by an Asgardian villainess as it was struck by lightning at the stroke of midnight.
Hahaha all that is awesome! Wish the series would full-throttle embrace that nuttiness. Kinda makes Diamondback from the show look better in retrospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I am really glad Luke Cage did not embrace the nuttiness. It would inevitably trivialize race and racism in 2018. Leave nuttiness to Squirrel Girl (pun intended).

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

homullus posted:

I am really glad Luke Cage did not embrace the nuttiness. It would inevitably trivialize race and racism in 2018.
I'm getting quite weary of Netflix Marvel's self-seriousness... Luke Cage as something like a live-action Black Dynamite show struck me as good fun. But perhaps you're right.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Iron Fist was the perfect chance to build a show that was lighthearted nonsense instead of a grimdark slog

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sir Nose posted:

I assume you're making a joke, but this is all so ridiculous I can't tell.

It’s a Pulp Fiction/Kill Bill joke

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

theflyingexecutive posted:

It’s a Pulp Fiction/Kill Bill joke

Or for the discerning viewer, it's a joke about a Spice World joke about a Pulp Fiction character beat.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

bring back old gbs posted:

Neato:

but "Sometimes brutality gets poo poo done." is... poorly worded?

You know the trailer also has a shot of Misty with the actual robo-arm, right?

It's right there.

(Yes, I know I'm a couple days late. I kept happening to check this thread while on my phone or whatever and only just now actually watched the video.)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Soothing Vapors posted:

Iron Fist was the perfect chance to build a show that was lighthearted nonsense instead of a grimdark slog

Well, they got it half right.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He also has a long history with the Wrecking Crew. They’re a bunch of mystical villains that got their powers of destruction while holding a crowbar enchanted by an Asgardian villainess as it was struck by lightning at the stroke of midnight.
Those guys are hilarious. Their power levels fluctuate like crazy depending on the year/writer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One of them is a scientific genius as well. But most writers forget that and portray him as a big dumb idiot.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sir Nose posted:

I'm getting quite weary of Netflix Marvel's self-seriousness... Luke Cage as something like a live-action Black Dynamite show struck me as good fun. But perhaps you're right.

There already was a live action Black Dynamite.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

I meant a tv show, not the movie. I'm aware of the cartoon; are you saying there was also a live-action Black Dynamite TV show?

Sir Nose fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 14, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I really wish they'd played more with the blaxploitation angle of Luke Cage more, but it was still there-- just way toned down. I still haven't finished it tho so maybe it gets more fun and campy in the back half but I'll prob never bother with it.

They also should have played up the goofy kung fu angle of Iron Fist .... smdh

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

esperterra posted:

I still haven't finished it tho so maybe it gets more fun and campy in the back half but I'll prob never bother with it.

Well Diamondback is certainly campy...

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

esperterra posted:

The fact that "Kung Fu Fighting" never plays once in the series is such an inept oversight that Anderson Paak's "Come Down" can't even make up for it.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

esperterra posted:

I really wish they'd played more with the blaxploitation angle of Luke Cage more, but it was still there-- just way toned down. I still haven't finished it tho so maybe it gets more fun and campy in the back half but I'll prob never bother with it.

The fact that instead of a 1970s Harlem "Heroes for Hire" movie we got these two tv shows is a goddamned crime. They decided to not have Superhero Lethal Weapon and make two shows that seemingly hate thier core source material. At least Luke Cage had some great moments, Iron Fist just sucked.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

homullus posted:

The fact that "Kung Fu Fighting" never plays once in the series is such an inept oversight that Anderson Paak's "Come Down" can't even make up for it.

Wrong as gently caress. That is the jam son

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

homullus posted:

The fact that a remake of a game from 2005 has better choreography than nearly the entire show is sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwHlln1ohKk

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
This is what happens when you hire dramatic actors and make them do their own stunts with minimal training.

The Benedimple Cucumberbun jumping clip comes to mind. And the entirety of IF and LC.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

The fact that instead of a 1970s Harlem "Heroes for Hire" movie we got these two tv shows is a goddamned crime. They decided to not have Superhero Lethal Weapon and make two shows that seemingly hate thier core source material. At least Luke Cage had some great moments, Iron Fist just sucked.

Plus, other than him being apparently a real chill dude, I don't feel like I could bitch slap Mike Colter without painful consequences. Finn Jones, OTOH, I MIGHT break a nail by catching a hangnail in his beard.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

The fact that a remake of a game from 2005 has better choreography than nearly the entire show is sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwHlln1ohKk

I mean, not really? Even mocapped, it's still digital choreography, it's not the same.

Iron Fist had some terrible choreography regardless.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Andrigaar posted:

This is what happens when you hire dramatic actors and make them do their own stunts with minimal training.

The Benedimple Cucumberbun jumping clip comes to mind. And the entirety of IF and LC.

Uh, have you actually seen that spot in the movie? They're just filming them leaving the ground as they jump into a crazy CGI tempest.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Samizdata posted:

Plus, other than him being apparently a real chill dude, I don't feel like I could bitch slap Mike Colter without painful consequences. Finn Jones, OTOH, I MIGHT break a nail by catching a hangnail in his beard.

They really need to bring back the drunken Hand fighter that spent his entire fight with Finn Iron Fist calling him a dumbass.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sir Nose posted:

I meant a tv show, not the movie. I'm aware of the cartoon; are you saying there was also a live-action Black Dynamite TV show?

I wish, i imagine it would be like Danger 5 with ninjas and disco.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
Hadn't seen this posted yet - apparently in Daredevil Season 3 the black suit from Season 1 will return!

https://screenrant.com/daredevil-season-3-set-photos-black-suit/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Hadn't seen this posted yet - apparently in Daredevil Season 3 the black suit from Season 1 will return!

That would be excellent. His armored suit just doesn't fit the world Netflix has built.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s lovely but true, Daredevil looks like a mega-dweeb next to Luke Cage who is just like “I...I just like hoodies and jeans, man.”

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The black suit looked so much more badass. Just toss an armored vest on him or something.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

The black suit looked so much more badass. Just toss an armored vest on him or something.

The wrap over his head looked way better than that doofyass helmet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The wrap over his head looked way better than that doofyass helmet.

Double agreed. Maybe just keep the suit jacket or something.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Jonny_Rocket posted:

black suit can't save the show if the directing and scripts aren't up to snuff.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

HIJK posted:

black suit can't save the show if the directing and scripts aren't up to snuff.

Daredevil hasn’t ever really been bad. S2 sufferer from having one plot (The Punisher) that really, really outshone the other plot (undead ninjas), but the undead ninja plot was still better than anything between DDS2 and Punisher.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Daredevil hasn’t ever really been bad. S2 sufferer from having one plot (The Punisher) that really, really outshone the other plot (undead ninjas), but the undead ninja plot was still better than anything between DDS2 and Punisher.

Yeah, DDS2 was fine it just had a case of 'half of this is way better than the other half, and also way more serious than the goofy ninja poo poo'.

The tone shifts and pacing was p weird but the content was fine.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If DDs3 were literally “undead ninjas team up wIth aliens and mermaids to get kids addicted to gambling” but the fight sequences went back to S1 quality I’d watch every loving episode.

I never even finished the Defenders

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

I agree somewhat regarding DDS2 (though I hate the undead ninjas, they super hosed that up not to mention they completely forgot how Matt's powers work rofl) but I also know that the DDS2 showrunners performed the abortion that is The Defenders, and that's what makes me pessimistic regarding DDS3.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

HIJK posted:

I agree somewhat regarding DDS2 (though I hate the undead ninjas, they super hosed that up not to mention they completely forgot how Matt's powers work rofl) but I also know that the DDS2 showrunners performed the abortion that is The Defenders, and that's what makes me pessimistic regarding DDS3.

The defenders was kind of doomed from the outset because half the cast had shows relating to the main plot, and the other half didn’t. And of the half that did have Hand stuff in it, one of those shows was godawful.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

The defenders was kind of doomed from the outset because half the cast had shows relating to the main plot, and the other half didn’t. And of the half that did have Hand stuff in it, one of those shows was godawful.

I get that but it's also the responsibility of the showrunners and producers to create a show that's at least acceptable and they couldn't even manage that. These shows are stemming out of capeshit comics which are notorious for fluctuating in quality, and the previous shows created excellent material out of that anyway so IMO Marvel TV has 0 excuses at this point. It can be done, they just didn't try.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

All this bellyaching about DD S2 in this thread and it's still by far the best season of Marvel anything that I've seen

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So you haven't watched Punishet then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

dont even fink about it posted:

All this bellyaching about DD S2 in this thread and it's still by far the best season of Marvel anything that I've seen

Might I introduce you to a little show called Daredevil Season One