Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It is absolutely tax fraud. Cabbies are well aware that nobody carries cash in 2018 and they’re losing fares, they just think not having to claim income is worth it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I read a news story just recently about some landscaper company that had a simple system for years:

- Cash only
- Never made a bank deposit
- Never collected sales tax
- Never paid sales tax
- No deductions
- Cash in hand employees
- At tax time either no income or the bare minimum declared income year after year

Then phase two:

- Divorce
- No agreement on how to split the assets
- No one can agree on anything so it goes to court
- Judge: "Uhhh y'all haven't paid taxes or declared income for years on hundreds of thousands apparently, so I'm just gonna make a little note here. Also no one's co-operating really so whatever you have is shared and when the taxman comes along to levy a fine, y'all are going to share that, too."

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Cabs in Korea were dead simple to use, if somewhat frightening because of the drivers. One K-pass token could be swiped over the reader used to pay for the cab, the bus and the train to take you anywhere in the country, seamlessly, and receipts were about as complicated as a gas pump 'Y/N?' Funny how things can work when a corrupt mafia-wannabe isn't making GBS threads on progress to keep a death grip on a market.

Also, pisstape is real, or piss tape Israel? I'd believe both.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

bird food bathtub posted:

Cabs in Korea were dead simple to use, if somewhat frightening because of the drivers. One K-pass token could be swiped over the reader used to pay for the cab, the bus and the train to take you anywhere in the country, seamlessly, and receipts were about as complicated as a gas pump 'Y/N?' Funny how things can work when a corrupt mafia-wannabe isn't making GBS threads on progress to keep a death grip on a market.

chaebols make more money than the actual mafia, so you can't call them wannabees

they just don't get in the way of progress, and instead have huge r&d depts

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

Japan is the same way. You can use your Suica for pretty much anything, including vending machines.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
I'm gonna pay extra for cash to get it out of an atm anyway, just charge a little bit extra to cover the processing fees.

EVERY other business knows this is a thing and calculates it in their business expenses.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mister Sinewave posted:

I read a news story just recently about some landscaper company that had a simple system for years:

- Cash only
- Never made a bank deposit
- Never collected sales tax
- Never paid sales tax
- No deductions
- Cash in hand employees
- At tax time either no income or the bare minimum declared income year after year

Then phase two:

- Divorce
- No agreement on how to split the assets
- No one can agree on anything so it goes to court
- Judge: "Uhhh y'all haven't paid taxes or declared income for years on hundreds of thousands apparently, so I'm just gonna make a little note here. Also no one's co-operating really so whatever you have is shared and when the taxman comes along to levy a fine, y'all are going to share that, too."

I’ve read a lot of stories about landlords not depositing rent checks for years at a time in order to hide income during a divorce. It never fools the judge.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

boop the snoot posted:

Apples and oranges. By accepting card they have ~4% less money to pay for gas.

If I told you that I was docking 4% of your pay simply because you use a certain bank, you’d probably change banks (or jobs).

I'd make the argument that handling large amounts of cash isn't free for a business either, especially when you factor in mistakes or theft.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

DoktorLoken posted:

I'd make the argument that handling large amounts of cash isn't free for a business either, especially when you factor in mistakes or theft.

Breaking legs is a cheap business expense. Do it once or twice over theft for decent results.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

boop the snoot posted:

Apples and oranges. By accepting card they have ~4% less money to pay for gas.

If I told you that I was docking 4% of your pay simply because you use a certain bank, you’d probably change banks (or jobs).

Hay is cheaper than gasoline ergo using a horse and buggy should be preferred oh wait why is my industry dying.

Fallom posted:

I’ve read a lot of stories about landlords not depositing rent checks for years at a time in order to hide income during a divorce. It never fools the judge.

My landlord last year texted us the day of to tell us that "someone from the bank is coming by to inspect your house today since I told them it was my fathers summer home."

Haven't had to use it as leverage yet but I think written proof of fraud could be useful if need be.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The fact that an industry in 2018 doesn't want to take any form of electronic payment isn't my problem. I'm not carrying cash anymore.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/usairforce/status/997167056276611072

Happy that some SSgt got a counseling chit for that tweet :jerkbag:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Card processing fees aren't 4% either. Square is 2.75% with zero bump rate which is on the high end of processing %. The opposite end is 0% with a $0.25 bump rate (per swipe charge). Since most cab rides are sub $50, neither end of the spectrum is ideal, but there are plenty of processors in between so effective rate comes out between 1.5-2% or less. Large volume cab companies could get that effective rate down to sub 1%.

Not taking cards in 2018 is not about time or fees. It is entirely tax evasion. Most jurisdictions require that cabs take cards and you can demand they accept it if so.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Americans getting furious over not being able to pay everything via credit card in Germany never gets old. What a backwards shithole nation where the non-cash transfers are something more secure than credit cards, ugh. :downs:

Though, to be fair, recently, a lot of POS tech has also the optional rfid or whatever contact less payments enabled, where you just hold your EC card next to the thing, and don't have to enter a PIN or sign, which on the one hand is convenient, but on the other hand, it seems that some banks just unlock the payment mode on your card unsolicited, which I find a little dumb.

I've set my own daily limit via that mode to 25 bucks, so it's perfectly fine for groceries.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Bigly tanked the market with careless commentary:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/17/trump-says-he-doubts-china-trade-negotiations-will-succeed.html

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Fallom posted:

you can't sit on a check for years

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

you can't sit on a check for years

I think he means not depositing to their account the cash from the checks

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Americans getting furious over not being able to pay everything via credit card in Germany never gets old. What a backwards shithole nation where the non-cash transfers are something more secure than credit cards, ugh. :downs:

Though, to be fair, recently, a lot of POS tech has also the optional rfid or whatever contact less payments enabled, where you just hold your EC card next to the thing, and don't have to enter a PIN or sign, which on the one hand is convenient, but on the other hand, it seems that some banks just unlock the payment mode on your card unsolicited, which I find a little dumb.

I've set my own daily limit via that mode to 25 bucks, so it's perfectly fine for groceries.

I find that just about every contactless reader I've used in Germany worked with Apple Pay which owns for both speed and security. A lot of people looked puzzled when I paid with poo poo with my watch since AFAIK Apple Pay doesn't exist in Germany yet. Also USAA doesn't seem to charge withdrawal fees or stiff you on the exchange rate when you pull cash from a Geldautomat.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

DoktorLoken posted:

Also USAA doesn't seem to charge withdrawal fees or stiff you on the exchange rate when you pull cash from a Geldautomat.

I've yet to find a country they don't refund ATM withdrawals fees in. A+ would be born to a former serviceman again.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm surprised Germans still use cash, since it's so incredibly inefficient.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
Office Depot is going to subsidize VA ID cards in exchange for putting their logo on the back of them. According to the article it looks like you can no longer get ID cards from the VA in person and instead have to do it online.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/05/15/va-id-cards-include-office-depot-logo.html

No idea where the end of the page when browsing like this.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Delizin posted:

No idea where the end of the page when browsing like this.

Man is sinful, but dog is good.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

psydude posted:

I'm surprised Germans still use cash, since it's so incredibly inefficient.

Privacy.

Also, as with the poo poo-shelves on their toilets, they like to directly see their money when it leaves their possession.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

speaking of wasted life on another continent, remember those two SEALs who murdered that Green Beret? they probably had some MARSOC help lol

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2018/05/12/report-special-ops-marines-under-scrutiny-along-with-navy-seals-in-green-berets-death/

Hey what happens on the boat stays on the boat, even when it's murder and on land.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Meetings can't leak if they don't happen.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/997194024518811652?s=19

hey wait

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/997194474051731456

lmbo

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So it looks probable that the Vegas shooter was a "They're coming for rrr gunnns, remember Waco and Ruby Ridge!" crazy.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/las-vegas-shooter-claimed-americans-needed-wake-up-call-article-1.3994558

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That dude managed to keep a lot of his crazy low-key. I wonder if he still has an AR15.com account we haven't uncovered yet.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Handsome Ralph posted:

So it looks probable that the Vegas shooter was a "They're coming for rrr gunnns, remember Waco and Ruby Ridge!" crazy.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/las-vegas-shooter-claimed-americans-needed-wake-up-call-article-1.3994558

maybe one day we will find the motivation behind him.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

ElMaligno posted:

economic anxiety

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

He drank the bellagio fountain water, most unfortunately

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Mueller keeps bagging witches.

https://twitter.com/MikeScarcella/status/997227451934822400?s=19

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/997076300476055552

edit:

holy gently caress onion lol

https://twitter.com/ResistanceHole/status/997229795133022209

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 17, 2018

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/997257028526530560?s=21

What are you going on about Ashley surely it can’t be that bad.

https://twitter.com/whitehouse/status/997255568782852096?s=21

Michael_Scott_No.mp4

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

gently caress this planet

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
Ahahaha ha ha haaa *sobbing*

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/997251082186182656?s=21

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Thank you America

Thank you so much for inflicting this gently caress on the world

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Thank you America

Thank you so much for inflicting this gently caress on the world

B.H.E.

Here we need a palate cleanser

https://twitter.com/crushingbort/status/997230333690109953?s=21

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 18, 2018