Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

Ringo also very kindly answered that letter that Marge wrote. I feel like that counts for a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV8JFj17AtY

Luckily she got her's in by the deadline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like Pete Best, even though he was by all accounts not a very good drummer, because he had the audacity to release a solo album called Best of the Beatles at the height of Beatlemania in 1965.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

ALFbrot posted:

Not to be a dick, I legitimately don't know- is there something compelling about the band's story before the decade-defining tragedy that permanently etched the lead singer's name into the rock pantheon? Pretty much all I know is Freddie, and that Brian May is very smart and invented a guitar tube amp that sounds cool.

Not really.

Queen overachieved from the start. Their first album was panned as a Led Zeppelin rip-off, but they had their first hit soon after (Seven Seas of Rhye). There were some nervous moments when Brian May had a spate of illnesses before, during and after their first American tour, but May healed up, Killer Queen became a smash hit, etc., etc. They feuded with manager Norman Sheffield - Death on Two Legs is about him - but nothing that distinctive.

Queen did everything well, but they weren't the best at anything. Nor were they pioneers in any regard. They were lucky/smart in that with the exception of Hot Space, they didn't didn't get too quirky, too political or too into a single genre.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Not really.

Queen overachieved from the start. Their first album was panned as a Led Zeppelin rip-off, but they had their first hit soon after (Seven Seas of Rhye). There were some nervous moments when Brian May had a spate of illnesses before, during and after their first American tour, but May healed up, Killer Queen became a smash hit, etc., etc. They feuded with manager Norman Sheffield - Death on Two Legs is about him - but nothing that distinctive.

Queen did everything well, but they weren't the best at anything. Nor were they pioneers in any regard. They were lucky/smart in that with the exception of Hot Space, they didn't didn't get too quirky, too political or too into a single genre.

Freddie was so much better as a singer and had so much more stage presence than Robert Plant it's frankly embarrassing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RC and Moon Pie posted:

They were lucky/smart in that with the exception of Hot Space, they didn't didn't get too quirky, too political or too into a single genre.

Sun City notwithstanding. :v:

It's interesting, though, going back to reviews from the late 70s at the height of punk when music critics were denouncing them as "the world's first truly fascist rock band".

I don't know if that's because they played May's version of the national anthem at the end of every show or because Freddie always had his magnetic command over the audiences or just because Freddie denied his music ever meant anything or because they deliberately shied away from talking about politics or what.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 17, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I mean, clearly they're monarchist.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Baron von Eevl posted:

He's also they only one who can't really sing (although they did what they could and he got by) and he's the Ugly One. Yeah, he was also the introvert and the goofball. His drumming was loving out there though, nobody else on earth plays drums the way Ringo does.

Keith moon

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sun City notwithstanding. :v:

It's interesting, though, going back to reviews from the late 70s at the height of punk when music critics were denouncing them as "the world's first truly fascist rock band".

I don't know if that's because they played May's version of the national anthem at the end of every show or because Freddie always had his magnetic command over the audiences or just because Freddie denied his music ever meant anything or because they deliberately shied away from talking about politics or what.

I read a clickbait article ranking literally all of the acts in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame by appropriateness to the venue and talent, and literally the only act ranked below Queen was Bon Jovi and it amazed me that someone disliked Queen that much.

quote:

When popularity is factored in, Queen is the most overrated band in the history of pop music. This preposterous aggregation looked and sounded awful from the beginning, their music a pastiche of pastiches of things no one in the band were inclined to understand, all of it culminating in “We Will Rock You.” Queen haters love to say the song is appropriate for a Nuremburg rally, but you can also sort of see Leni Riefenstahl giving it a listen, cocking her head and saying, “Nein. A little too much.” Their popularity in the U.S. went down quickly after their heyday, but they remained unaccountable super-duper-stars in the U.K. and in time became the rock equivalent to the beloved ugly toy you had when you grew up. Docked 30 notches because of this: After the band’s closeted lead singer, Freddie Mercury, died of AIDS, the entire rock universe held a televised tribute show, broadcast on MTV, during which mentions of homosexuality and AIDS were kept closely under wraps. The band (and everyone else at the show) let a new generation of vulnerable kids — and thousands of the unloved, dying alone on the streets — know that, yes, they should be ashamed of who they are. Thirty years earlier, the Lovin’ Spoonful, in one of the best songs about rock and roll, captured it this way: “Believe in the magic that can set you free.” By that wholly credible standard, Queen aren’t rock and roll at all and don’t belong in the hall of fame.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DC Murderverse posted:

I read a clickbait article ranking literally all of the acts in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame by appropriateness to the venue and talent, and literally the only act ranked below Queen was Bon Jovi and it amazed me that someone disliked Queen that much.

Freddie Mercury: Too fascist for Nazis

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

DC Murderverse posted:

I agree that Queen being ranked so low is inexplicable, but also, gently caress, Livin' On A Prayer is a good song. :argh:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

21 Muns posted:

Livin' On A Prayer is a good song. :argh:

lol

oh, you were serious? let me laugh even harder

lmfao

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Bon Jovi has a lane that they're good at :colbert: Livin' On A Prayer, Wanted Dead Or Alive, and You Give Love A Bad Name are all really fun songs

they're not a band i'm ever going to go out of my way to see live or buy music by, but if someone puts them on a bar jukebox or they come on the radio i'm not gonna gripe about it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Bon Jovi has a lane that they're good at :colbert: Livin' On A Prayer, Wanted Dead Or Alive, and You Give Love A Bad Name are all really fun songs

"has a lane that they're good at" doesn't really scream Hall of Famer to me, but hey they've sold a poo poo-ton of records so I guess they have to be there.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

"has a lane that they're good at" doesn't really scream Hall of Famer to me, but hey they've sold a poo poo-ton of records so I guess they have to be there.

yeah like I'm not defending them being in the HOF I'm just defending them generally as an okay band

e: also without Bon Jovi existing and being famous, we don't get one of the best long-form jokes in Always Sunny (Mac and Frank trying to negotiate with "Jon Bovi")

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Rock and Roll Music is bad cheesy junk so Bon Jovi seems good member of hall of fame to me. & he was great on Ally McBeal.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

imo it's okay to enjoy singing along to songs like Livin' on a Prayer. It's fun, it's catchy, and you can get an entire room joining in with you.

Like I'd never sit down and intentionally listen to Total Eclipse of the Heart but gently caress it if that song comes on I'm joining in with the other 30 people that are already singing it.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

they're not a band i'm ever going to go out of my way to see live or buy music by, but if someone puts them on a bar jukebox or they come on the radio i'm not gonna gripe about it

The funny thing is that all of those songs are from one album.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Quote-Unquote posted:

imo it's okay to enjoy singing along to songs like Livin' on a Prayer. It's fun, it's catchy, and you can get an entire room joining in with you.

Like I'd never sit down and intentionally listen to Total Eclipse of the Heart but gently caress it if that song comes on I'm joining in with the other 30 people that are already singing it.

As long as it's not Sweet Caroline, I'll allow it

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

some songs have a sort of quality about them where I recognize that I like them, but can't enjoy them due to massive overplay on the radio. livin' on a prayer, abba's dancing queen, nirvana's smells like teen spirit, spears' toxic, gaga's bad romance, etc.

it's like if you have a steak dinner every night for 2 years, by the third month you'll be like "okay I'm good thanks" and by the eighth the smell of meat and taters will have you gagging

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'll never stop being amused that Bon Jovi bought a song from Max Martin, and that the song they bought was nearly identical to a Backstreet Boys song that Martin also wrote.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

lelandjs posted:

I'll never stop being amused that Bon Jovi bought a song from Max Martin, and that the song they bought was nearly identical to a Backstreet Boys song that Martin also wrote.

Max Martin was in a hair metal band in the late 80s.

So was Dann Huff, who produced all of Rascal Flatts' annoying songs and "Amazed" by Lonestar.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

pospysyl posted:

The funny thing is that all of those songs are from one album.

“The Best of Bon Jovi”.

Raise Your Hands is a fun song too, but that might be Spaceballs’ influence on me. I can’t hate Bon Jovi.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Mr. Bovine Joni is a talented man :colbert:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

Max Martin was in a hair metal band in the late 80s.

So was Dann Huff, who produced all of Rascal Flatts' annoying songs and "Amazed" by Lonestar.

Yup! Which makes it even funnier that when they went to him for a song instead of him giving them, like, a song that actually fit their style he just tweaked "Larger Than Life" a little bit and said good enough.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
All of the old AOR and hair metal era session guys went off to Nashville when grunge showed up, because there was still demand for that style of guitar playing.

Biggest example: Mutt Lange.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Obligatory Triumph:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODLS8IAYs6g

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Bon Jovi is the soundtrack to, like, every school dance I ever went to. If you’re in a certain age range, you’ve awkwardly slow danced to “Bed of Roses”*.

*Or resentfully watched from the sidelines while other people did.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

As long as it's not Sweet Caroline, I'll allow it

this is the worst part about being a sox fan.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Bon Jovi rules.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--8nr2kt4uk

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Just make a we3 movie for gently caress's sake people.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Cinematic universe. This is part 1

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Of course the lead kid's gotta be into EXTREEEEEEME motorbiking.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Yeah but who directs? Can we get a supergroup of Jodorowski, Del Toro, Villenueve, and Blomkamp??

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Chassis Come Home

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just as long as they figure out how to work the funky panel transitions into the movie (paging Edgar Wright).

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Len posted:

Cinematic universe. This is part 1

Someone in the trailer thread calls it the Monster Trucks Cinematic Universe.

Also It's My Life is the rock anthem of my generation.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ruddiger posted:

Just as long as they figure out how to work the funky panel transitions into the movie (paging Edgar Wright).

I still have never read it (I own it on Comixology and will someday I swear!) but a long time ago I remember a review of it praising Quitely's art for the usual reasons but specifically in this story for being "unfilmable" in a good way. Taking advantage of the medium to do things impossible anywhere else.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

ruddiger posted:

Paging Ang Lee.....

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah but who directs? Can we get a supergroup of Jodorowski, Del Toro, Villenueve, and Blomkamp??

All of them, but possessed by Salvador Dalí's ghost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It's alive, it's aliiiiive (maybe)!

https://screenrant.com/dark-univers..._campaign=SR-TW