Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'll do it.

God bless you. I get the feeling it's going to be the second layer of Hell from Dante's Inferno game spread out over several hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarkVega
Jan 1, 2008
Just lookin'.
There's this kickass fixed camera horror game with quite genuine psx asthetics in the making called Paracusia.

I played it and had lots of fun with it. Really felt like a lost Ps1 game, and gets quite unnerving, even when you wield a weapon. Warning, there's tankcontrols. (No sweat for cool people).

Theres a demo available on Itch.io.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

MarkVega posted:

There's this kickass fixed camera horror game with quite genuine psx asthetics in the making called Paracusia.

I played it and had lots of fun with it. Really felt like a lost Ps1 game, and gets quite unnerving, even when you wield a weapon. Warning, there's tankcontrols. (No sweat for cool people).

This actually looks pretty drat amazing. It has that late 90's grundgy vibe that horror games in general in that era seem to be teeming with.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MarkVega posted:

Is there a good LP of this because it looks great but I'm lazy and tank controls.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

s.i.r.e. posted:

Is there a good LP of this because it looks great but I'm lazy and tank controls.

This is one of the only LP's I've found so far for the game (and I can't say it's a "good" LP):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkxOCzskdoI

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

One of the good changes in the REmake was how you could set the controls to be screen relative. It would cause you to occasionally veer off into an odd direction upon screen transitions but it's just so much nicer overall.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Am I going crazy, or were screen-relative tank controls a thing in earlier RE games too? I always remember changing my stick direction to fit the context of the camera.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

None of the mainline games did until the recent ports of REmake, maybe the Outbreak games did?

MarkVega
Jan 1, 2008
Just lookin'.
Silent HIll 2 and up had screen relative controls as an option, manditory in 4. While always nice to have options I found that a shame, having camera relative movement trivializes encounters (even more so in Silent Hill 2+) and just makes the main character a ninja in dodging.

Doesn't stop you from mastering tank controls and doing the same with those:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TN8zYE5gG8&t=47s

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Oh yeah, I definitely must have used screen controls for Silent Hill 2. I can't even remember if I died to a monster once in that game, but that's also kinda besides the point.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Nocturne had a lot of crazy camera angles and, in my memory at least, the controls were screen relative. So sometimes you'd turn a corner and suddenly walk right into a trap or a monster because the camera jumped to a completely different angle.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Devil May Cry also did that poo poo. It’s fun revisiting the first game and seeing how much Resident Evil dna was left in.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

One thing I like about Nocturne is that one of the last chapters has you fighting imps and skeletons in a cursed cemetery. In most games those would be low level enemies but in Nocturne the skeletons always piece themselves back together no matter how often you kill them and the imps, despite being tiny naked red babymen, can withstand having their head blown of with a shotgun without it even slowing them down.

MarkVega
Jan 1, 2008
Just lookin'.
Nocturne was fricking cool and had some great moments. The mob episode was kinda bleh but the rest was great fun and creepy. Really wish it'd get remade somehow, over the shoulder camera or fixed, I don't care.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

al-azad posted:

Devil May Cry also did that poo poo. It’s fun revisiting the first game and seeing how much Resident Evil dna was left in.

Aren't there some screenshots of an alpha version that was way slower and more like an RE game floating around? Or am I just thinking of the scrapped version of RE4 (which, I obviously loving love RE4, but the version that never came out also looks really cool)

edit: and interestingly it also seemed very unlike previous RE games but in a way that's different from the 4 we got. There were like ghosts and poo poo and the vibe felt closer to Silent Hill in the video I saw

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Weren't there a couple of Blair Witch games set in the same universe as Nocturne?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Weren't there a couple of Blair Witch games set in the same universe as Nocturne?

Same engine, even. I think there were three, going from old timey era to modern.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

goferchan posted:

Aren't there some screenshots of an alpha version that was way slower and more like an RE game floating around? Or am I just thinking of the scrapped version of RE4 (which, I obviously loving love RE4, but the version that never came out also looks really cool)

edit: and interestingly it also seemed very unlike previous RE games but in a way that's different from the 4 we got. There were like ghosts and poo poo and the vibe felt closer to Silent Hill in the video I saw

I'd say The Evil Within is a lot closer to what the original RE4 was going to be. There's a fight with killer dolls, weird hallucinations, and a teleporting monster that acts similar to ones in TEW.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

goferchan posted:

Ghosts in RE sounds awesome. Is there a name for this build, or could you link the video here?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afpf508tDeU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Is there anything I need to know about Uncanny Valley before I dive into it? I remember a friend being very frustrated about something with the game, but I can't remember which friend it was, so who knows what the issue was. I am emotionally prepared for the game to be Not Good, though my patience for pixel-art horror games is often pretty high, despite the usual jank that comes with them.

Which reminds me, I really wish the guy that made Lone Survivor would try his hand at another game. I really enjoyed it, despite some glaring design problems and pretty dumb aiming controls.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Oh, cool! Thanks!

MockingQuantum posted:

Which reminds me, I really wish the guy that made Lone Survivor would try his hand at another game. I really enjoyed it, despite some glaring design problems and pretty dumb aiming controls.

He did some solid music for Hotline Miami and I thought Lone Survivor was a hit, strange that he hasn't made one. I thought this was suggestive though.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

MockingQuantum posted:

Is there anything I need to know about Uncanny Valley before I dive into it? I remember a friend being very frustrated about something with the game, but I can't remember which friend it was, so who knows what the issue was. I am emotionally prepared for the game to be Not Good, though my patience for pixel-art horror games is often pretty high, despite the usual jank that comes with them.

The big issue with Uncanny Valley is that it's a game with multiple endings, but it's really hard to avoid one particular ending. You'll need to do a bunch of exploring and experimenting and that probably means playing through the opening sequence a bunch of times. If you've got the patience for it there's a lot of cool stuff to find, and if you feel that patience waning I fully suggest you start looking up how to do stuff before you drop it entirely.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Too Shy Guy posted:

The big issue with Uncanny Valley is that it's a game with multiple endings, but it's really hard to avoid one particular ending. You'll need to do a bunch of exploring and experimenting and that probably means playing through the opening sequence a bunch of times. If you've got the patience for it there's a lot of cool stuff to find, and if you feel that patience waning I fully suggest you start looking up how to do stuff before you drop it entirely.

Ahh yep that's what the complaint was. I don't know the conceit of Uncanny Valley, but I remember a friend saying he kept dying the same way over and over, or something, despite doing pretty different things. Good to know, thanks!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This is one of the only LP's I've found so far for the game (and I can't say it's a "good" LP):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkxOCzskdoI

Thanks, I'll give this a watch.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

MockingQuantum posted:

Ahh yep that's what the complaint was. I don't know the conceit of Uncanny Valley, but I remember a friend saying he kept dying the same way over and over, or something, despite doing pretty different things. Good to know, thanks!
I think the one thing I remember really needing to know that I didn't when I first started playing Uncanny Valley was that the extinguisher had multiple uses and one of those uses was pretty much needed to get further story progression. Apparently there was some hint to what the extinguisher could do in a pre-release demo but yeah, I felt it was a bit too ummm obtuse to figure out in normal play.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah, Rustin Parr, Legend of Coffin Rock, and The Elly Kedward Tale. Rustin Parr takes place some time after chapter 4 of Nocturne but before the epilogue, and is the only one that directly links together. Also, Bloodrayne is in the same universe too, the castle and artefact from chapter 3 of Bloodrayne is the castle and artefact from chapter 1 of Nocturne. Also, the daemites from Bloodrayne made their first appearance in Rustin Parr.

I need to finish Nocturne, that game's real good.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
put nocturne on gog already ugh

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Relin posted:

put nocturne on gog already ugh

Seriously, what the hell.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's just so super duper broken on modern PCs; hell, WAS broken 10 years ago when I played it. Couldn't finish most episodes, couldn't even start the last one.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

How's Claire? I got it on PS+ whenever it was free, but haven't tried it. But I sure do like mediocre horror games with pixel art, so maybe I'm in luck?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

How's Claire? I got it on PS+ whenever it was free, but haven't tried it. But I sure do like mediocre horror games with pixel art, so maybe I'm in luck?
Not great honestly; it's kinda Lone Survivor meets Clock Tower, but not fun with a meh story. Kinda like Creeping Terror; looks interesting but sadly underwhelming.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

discworld is all I read posted:

Not great honestly; it's kinda Lone Survivor meets Clock Tower, but not fun with a meh story. Kinda like Creeping Terror; looks interesting but sadly underwhelming.

That's the opposite of what I was hoping someone would say! But not remotely surprising.

New thread title: "Horror Games Megathread: looks interesting but sadly underwhelming"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MockingQuantum posted:

Well it sure is a mediocre horror game with pixel art so

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Well it sure is a mediocre horror game with pixel art so

I can always hope it's a secret sleeper surprise hit that I've never heard of until now. That totally happens, right? ... right?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

I can always hope it's a secret sleeper surprise hit that I've never heard of until now. That totally happens, right? ... right?
When people ask this, my mind always goes to Reveal the Deep. A fairly short and cheap game that actually does atmosphere pretty well.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you
Looks like Cultist Simulator will be dropping soon. I have high hopes for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heaH_KvB4eU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
FEAR's supposed to get a live-action (web?)series, apparently. The rational part of me wants to temper expectations for obvious reasons, but the FEAR fan part of me is incredibly giddy.

Also Atari apparently renewed its Alone in the Dark trademark. I doubt that means anything, but who knows.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A friend of mine asked if someone has made a Saw style coop game where you guys are basically cooping through a booby trapped house to learn life lessons or whatever the gently caress the plot of that series was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Len posted:

A friend of mine asked if someone has made a Saw style coop game where you guys are basically cooping through a booby trapped house to learn life lessons or whatever the gently caress the plot of that series was.

its about how we need to embrace universal healthcare and enjoy the company of our fellow man