Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Excuse me best set in the game is the Alva set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

After playing the game like half a dozen times the only one I really hate is Sirris's quest, because it's the only way to get an absolutely 100% essential game-changing ring for PvP, and if you get the other 100% essential game-changing PvP ring first, it breaks her quest.

Also getting to the real, actual ending of Sirris's quest is a giant pain but the Sunset Armor isn't that big of a deal.

The Silvercat Ring? I didn't know that was used a lot in pvp, huh.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's great in invasions because it means you can escape via routes that the host(99% of hosts anyways) can't follow you, or can only follow you by paying an HP tax(which many people will do if you're low and they're greedy to finish you)

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
This just for n Exiles Curved Sword us mad good.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
To say nothing of Death From Above-ing people every chance you get. :v:

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Pestilent Mist is good but I accidentally killed Siegward with it :rip:

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Silvercat Ring is absolutely essential for effective PvP. As others have pointed out, it opens up so many more escape routes, particularly in levels like Irithyll/Anor Londo post-Pontiff where you might as well not invade if you don't have the ring.

Mahlertov Cocktail fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 16, 2018

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
https://youtu.be/gI3AKekX5tk

Verticality!

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Man I never take the silver cat ring off once I get it. It’s just as useful for escaping invaders as it is for invading.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

hanales posted:

Man I never take the silver cat ring off once I get it. It’s just as useful for escaping invaders as it is for invading.

Wow, I was doing a Boss Rush and decided to use the Caestus, which I've actually used through half a run. I decided to actually figure out how to use Perserverance and goddamn, that is definitely the best weapon art. Beating a pope to death while his church pointlessly tried to hit me over and over again, and just manfighting through Abyss Watchers and their flashy attacks is amazing. I died a couple time to Abyss Watchers because I tried to abuse it and just spam the weapon art and mash L1, but when I started actually using it when they were doing one of their gap-closing attacks so I wouldn't have to open myself to closing the distance, they died like total chumps.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'm struggling to think of a weapon that would count as a "challenge run" for PvE purposes; nothing is really that bad beyond obviously useless stuff like the broken straight sword. I guess maybe scythes?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Bows but no lock on. Free aim only.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm struggling to think of a weapon that would count as a "challenge run" for PvE purposes; nothing is really that bad beyond obviously useless stuff like the broken straight sword. I guess maybe scythes?

Handmaids dagger, cleric candlestick, soldering iron (bonus points for the name being hilariously wrong), harpe, maybe Yorshka spear.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Scythes are actually great. They have amazing range and the bleed comes in handy for bosses. Not even close to broken straight sword levels of bad.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Whips only would probably be a challenge, as they are slower than most enemies and bosses and have minimal stagger power.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Scythes are actually great. They have amazing range and the bleed comes in handy for bosses. Not even close to broken straight sword levels of bad.

I have a Dark infused Corvian Scythe +9 on my very high level character (with 60 INT and 45 FTH) and it sucks balls.

Compared to my Chaos Claymore +10 it:
- Only does full damage if it hits the 'sweet spot'
- Has only a tiny bit more range
- Is maybe slightly faster(?)
- Does considerably less damage even if it hits the 'sweet spot'
- Has a worse moveset
- Has pretty much never procced bleed ever

Even against bosses that are supposedly weak to dark and strong against fire, the Chaos infusion STILL works better.

Unless the Dark infusion somehow ruined it, I honestly don't see why you'd bother with a scythe for anything other than the look.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Soul Reaver posted:

I have a Dark infused Corvian Scythe +9 on my very high level character (with 60 INT and 45 FTH) and it sucks balls.

Unless the Dark infusion somehow ruined it

It's a dex/hollow weapon by nature, and the infusion prevents you from applying Carthus Rouge to be able to get the bleed up higher.

Also a large reason people use scythes is for shield piercing.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The only run I gave up on because it was that bad was the Harpe, aka. The Weapon You've Probably Never Gotten.

it's like a dagger, but worse in every way

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Anyone got their "weapon I was most surprised was good"?

For me it's Zweihander. It only pops up in Greirats shop, it is cheaply priced, and most people will get Claymore first. And yet it's a great sword in a number of builds.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Captainicus posted:

Whips only would probably be a challenge, as they are slower than most enemies and bosses and have minimal stagger power.

This is true in my experience. I've done a lot of gimmick builds, and the full whip run and my whip PvP builds were the hardest by far.

^^ For me it's the Bastard Sword. Pancake flip attack on a super light sword, available really early. I didn't even remember it was in the game when I dedicated a build to it.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 17, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gridlocked posted:

On my last run I started as a deprived and just kept using the Club, and that weapon makes everything ridiculously easy with its high stagger. :v: I mean, I knew clubs were good obviously (hi DS2) but I was surprised at just how good it was. You can even stagger the big enemies like those manservant hollows in the settlement!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gridlocked posted:

For me it's Zweihander. It only pops up in Greirats shop, it is cheaply priced, and most people will get Claymore first. And yet it's a great sword in a number of builds.

You were surprised the Zweihander, the weapon of legend since DS1, the Bass Cannon, was good?

For me it was the Wolf Knight Greatsword. I picked it up for an Artorias cosplay and didn't really expect much from it other than doing some cool but impractical anime moves in PvE, but both specials ended up being incredibly useful in PvP (on release at least), that build ended up being the most success I've ever had in Souls PvP

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Definitely the Caestus. I went from only really knowing of it as a joke weapon to "wait, this is the lightest parrying tool, has one of the best weapon arts in the game, is a super-easy way to carry a blessed/simple infusion, and isn't even that bad as an actual weapon."

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Cuchulain posted:

^^ For me it's the Bastard Sword. Pancake flip attack on a super light sword, available really early. I didn't even remember it was in the game when I dedicated a build to it.

Oh yeah the bastard sword owns. You'd hardly think it's a greatsword with how light it is.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Definitely the Caestus. I went from only really knowing of it as a joke weapon to "wait, this is the lightest parrying tool, has one of the best weapon arts in the game, is a super-easy way to carry a blessed/simple infusion, and isn't even that bad as an actual weapon."

It's also great to use in the offhand as a mix-up. You've got the parry available but you can also throw out the occasional quick punch when your opponent isn't expecting it in PvP (or in PvE as a love-tap to finish a low-health enemy).

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

multijoe posted:

You were surprised the Zweihander, the weapon of legend since DS1, the Bass Cannon, was good?

After however many hundreds of hours across all three games I've never used a Zweihander. I used a Claymore for the first time, in any game, last year. Pretty much all large weapons have been a surprise to me. I'd always used fast weapons and magic. :shrug:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

multijoe posted:

This is the first DS game I've paid any real attention to beyond watching some of Geop's LP of DS1 for like an hour :downs:

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
I was surprised by the Dragonslayer Greataxe. I saw that it had split damage, couldn't be buffed, couldn't be infused, and had a fairly long windup weapon art. There are better options but it's actually perfectly viable even into ng++ at least. The weapon art is hilarious against anything that can be knocked down.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The silliest thing about the “soldering iron” is that they still call it a branding iron right there in the item description. lol

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
OK, I was done with DS3 a long time ago, but I saw a video of a mod that allows you to use monsters in the world as astral projections that can do their own movesets, as a parody of Stands from the hit anime Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and dudes, I am back in. This mod is awesome.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
DS3 is actually tempting me to come out and finally do a video LP of something.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Gologle posted:

OK, I was done with DS3 a long time ago, but I saw a video of a mod that allows you to use monsters in the world as astral projections that can do their own movesets, as a parody of Stands from the hit anime Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and dudes, I am back in. This mod is awesome.

Slapping some mods on any souls game is an experience that transends this plane of reality

In other words it's the god drat tits (of a goddess). I have been playing the poo poo out of the Prepare to Die Again mod for DS1 and it's helped regain some of the magic of that first run.

I'm almost worried that I won't have any reason to play DS Remastered once it comes out on PC because I'm barely halfway through my current run

One nice bonus is that the mod kind of turned me into a DS1 god out of necessity (some areas are a real bitch unless you're parrying and popping out crits left and right)

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I just want to beat Geop to doing the goon DS3 LP as he takes aggggges. Granted his style includes every death where as I'd be like ok we have done like 40min of video IMA get back to you guys when I get a successful kill.

Also not be ashamed to go "Hey so the best strategy here is to rush through anf use your ember from the previous boss to get a Sun Bro to do this one." I say that SunBros are always a valid strategy though because gotta get them medals

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

I just want to beat Geop to doing the goon DS3 LP as he takes aggggges. Granted his style includes every death where as I'd be like ok we have done like 40min of video IMA get back to you guys when I get a successful kill.
If anything you're understating it. Not only is his LP taking a while in isolation, but it's even worse in comparison to another SA group that also did a blind LP and finished that nearly a year ago. And the latter group basically had no guides besides some much-delayed thread chatter, as opposed to the in-jokers with Geop who can be hazy at best. I mean, I want to like what he's doing but it's hard. (Did I mention the in-jokes? Because those were cute in the DS1 LP but were an insufferable circlejerk by the time he did Wind Waker.)

Full disclosure: I did help out with the Double Blind LP by making a backup save for them after someone's computer died.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Some dudes made a custom Magic the Gathering set for Dark Souls and it's really cool and good: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hNnVQpZC-zUOwlOgC_qC6zsmGItJX88XvqBqqHuyC_k

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
It wouldn't be the *first* goon lp (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHmMaQOVlq3Z44rp7muw82Tjzngnz0dEu) but if you're even somewhat thorough it will be fun to watch just because of how different playthroughs can be

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I'd probably try to be scripted commentary rather than live. Cover my normal play choices which have been honed by guides and general experience. Throw in a death counter gimmick to mock my failures. And talk a bit about the plot.

For builds I'd look at either one I'd have never touched before like sorcery, do a quality build for weapon variety or just be like "Hey look dark Lothric Knight Sword' maybe show off a few builds by respecting through the battles.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm not sure what I expected the thread title to refer to, but it definitely wasn't that.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

The Shortest Path posted:

Some dudes made a custom Magic the Gathering set for Dark Souls and it's really cool and good: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hNnVQpZC-zUOwlOgC_qC6zsmGItJX88XvqBqqHuyC_k

aw yeah, that's the good stuff

between this and the Jojo mod I'm having a great time with unlicensed Dark Souls stuff this month

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

asio posted:

It wouldn't be the *first* goon lp (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHmMaQOVlq3Z44rp7muw82Tjzngnz0dEu) but if you're even somewhat thorough it will be fun to watch just because of how different playthroughs can be

This is great. I love the illustration on a lot of the cards and the DS flavor is really consistent.

It's makin' me sad about Artorias/Sif all over again, though :(

e: found my first gripe: "Gwyn's Defeat" should absolutely show Gwyn getting parried/riposted

Mahlertov Cocktail fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I like that Patches is a Planeswalker. He's kind of a lovely planeswalker imo, though.