Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

well that was a weird quake, felt like someone tried to give the building a shove

I was visiting my parents near Walnut Creek a couple months ago and we had a huge streak of those. Like multiple per day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

FCKGW posted:

I think you missed the guy who's statement was just a hastag (you should look it up) or the guy who used this whole statement to rail against transgender people.

Eh that's boring when we've had:

Trek "Thunder" Kelly, 2003 recall election posted:

Dear Voters, Please vote for me, thus breaking the Seventh Seal and incurring Armageddon. I will legalize drugs, gambling, and prostitution so they may be taxed and regulated, the funds derived would subsidize the deficit, education, and the environment. I believe in peaceful resolutions backed by a strong military; I don't care who you marry or have sex with

Look, coke and rear end are nice and all but when it's raining frogs and blood I'm not sure the tax funds will cover the environmental damage caused from earthquakes and eternal darkness.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

This trek kelly sure seems like a fun du-

quote:

Before his first year, Trek traveled to Jerusalem where a half-blind beggar chose 12 countries for him, he then spent a month in each of these countries, symbolically delivering a key to the most inspiring 12 individuals he encountered. The second year, curious about solitude, he lived in a hogan and was a shepherd on and off the Navajo reservation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trek_Thunder_Kelly

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Cup Runneth Over posted:

In case you missed that second one:

gently caress I totally did miss this guy, drat.

There's also Mottus who's entire statement is about how the FCC's "forced rollout of 5G wireless" will cause cancer and microwave poison us, or something. He's a senate candidate, though.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just got my sample ballot and all I've done so far is read the names of the candidates for governor, but I'm excited to vote for Governor WildStar.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Sorry if this has already been linked, but it's something that more people probably should be made aware of.

Slate posted:

How did California, of all states, wind up suppressing so many votes? The problem lies in the state election code’s rules for counting absentee ballots. All registered voters can choose to vote by mail in California if they want to; they need only request a ballot, fill it out, sign the ballot envelope, and drop it in the mail. Unbeknownst to most voters, however, is the stipulation that their signature on the envelope must match the signature on their voter-registration form. If it does not, election officials do not count the ballot.

Who determines if it matches? The election officials themselves, who have an utter lack of handwriting-analysis expertise. A forensic-document examiner testified to the ACLU that an effective signature comparison requires 10 samples “at a minimum” to account for variability. California election officials have two samples and minimal training. And yet they have the power to disenfranchise a voter on the basis of a single signature. Voters receive no notice that a signature mismatch will void their vote, nor are they alerted if their vote has been voided, unless they expressly request the information.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

rngd in the womb posted:

Sorry if this has already been linked, but it's something that more people probably should be made aware of.

I got hit with this in the 2014 cycle. My ballot was rejected because my signature on my license is a very carefully crafted work of art from 20 years ago while my current signature is just a fast scribble of nothing.

They don't even tell you either, I only found out about it when I checked on my county's website and it said "Rejected: signature mismatch" with no info on how to correct it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Also if your bring your mail ballot in and surrender it at the polling station, about half the time they will try to tell you that you must vote provisionally(untrue), in my experience.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
There's a candidate who claims to be the first technodemocratic candidate and wants to upload our consciousness to the cloud or some poo poo.

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

The signature thing seems weird to me since I got hit with it last election and not only did they check with me to make sure it was, indeed, my signature, the election officials called me, email'd me, and mailed me a notification to check to make sure that I was the person who signed the ballot. Maybe San Mateo is doing better than everywhere else on this? Or maybe my name is white enough that I matter?

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Ling Ling Shi will restore America’s heart! gently caress the 10 great chaos!!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Bastard Tetris posted:

gently caress the 10

agreed

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

VikingofRock posted:

I was visiting my parents near Walnut Creek a couple months ago and we had a huge streak of those. Like multiple per day.

The thrust fault under Mt Diablo has been experiencing a steady swarm of small quakes the last month or so now. Given that fault is supposed to be capable of some pretty nasty shocks if it ruptures (and the fact that I live relatively close to the fault) I'm definitely not at all worried.

On the plus side, I heard recently that earthquake swarms have no proven link to larger earthquakes, so :shrug:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

If we just space out gay marriages to maybe 1/2 per week near that fault we should be safe

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

US Representative District 11 candidate Chris Wood (No Party Preference), Civil Engineer:
https://www.chriswood-public.com/home

It's just the right mix of pseudo-hippy nonsense, random capitalization and bolding, terrible web design, and completely reasonable (if a bit vague) positions on various issues.

Here's the statement from the voter info guide:

quote:

Every human being has one obligation in Life, it is to find one's true Self-Purpose. Every individual's Journey is unique and can never be fully understood or appreciated by another. But if we have Patience, if we actively Listen, if we Compassionately and Positively Engage, we can coax another's Spirit to share their most Invaluable Experiences with us. This Facilitates Healing in the story teller, Growth and Discovery in the listener, and Deeper Bonds-of-Affection within All.

Every Problem, every Design, every Person is a Puzzle. Each comes with its own unique constraints, opportunities, interconnections, and status of "completion". It has always been in my Personal nature to Resolve the completed Picture, to Discover Intricate Beauties, to Comprehend the Meanings behind the Messages, and to Apply what has been learned into Everyday Life.

It has come apparent to me that our American Family is desperate for Quality Leadership. In feeling this Cry, this Yearning, my Heart compels me to answer the call of Service. While I do not claim to be the right person to temporarily occupy any particular position, I feel that I must at least offer myself as a worthy Choice. Your Faith, your Trust, and your Vote must otherwise be Earned. My task is to Prove myself worthy of such a Sacred Responsibility, and it is your job to Vote for People who Inspire Excellence and represent the Best that your Community has to offer.

Humbly & Sincerely,
Chris Wood 01/07/2018

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Got my mail-in ballot this weekend and I have to admit, while voting based on nothing but the candidates' names is a very bad idea, I'm having a hard time not voting for a man named Kreep.

Kreep is a birther, and a racist, and a sexist, and corrupt with election finances, and just generally an evil right wing nut job. He needs to be off the bench.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

There's a candidate who claims to be the first technodemocratic candidate and wants to upload our consciousness to the cloud or some poo poo.

Upload the rich to the cloud.
Redistribute their wealth.
make them fight in simulations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

ElMaligno posted:

Upload the rich to the cloud.
Redistribute their wealth.
make them fight in simulations.

TIMCOOK used Stun Spore!

It's super effective!

Foe ZUCKERBERG is paralyzed! It can't move!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It is every citizen's final duty to go into the cloud and become one with all the people.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

predicto posted:

Kreep is a birther, and a racist, and a sexist, and corrupt with election finances, and just generally an evil right wing nut job. He needs to be off the bench.

If you need a judicial candidate for that race, Victor Torres is both exceptionally qualified and cool as hell in person.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I’m going to lose my mind if the Democrats all split the vote and we end up with two republicans choices in the 48th because of the jungle primary.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If that happens (well, every time that happens), I hope we at least get more converts to the concept of ranked-choice voting, instead of a straight repeal of that proposition that started this top-two business.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Leperflesh posted:

It's just the right mix of pseudo-hippy nonsense

...not really? It's bog standard New Age speak.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

The neo-nazi running for Senate, Patrick Little:

https://littlerevolutiondotus.wordpress.com/2018/01/28/a-proposal-for-terraforming-mars/

quote:

We need to turn Mars into a giant ball of magma! You might ask why anyone who wants to permanently colonize Mars would do this. The answer is one word, something that none of the other proposals address, save one (granted with shortcomings that I will later describe). This one word is the most critical variable of sustaining long-term human colonization of Mars: MAGNETOSPHERE.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

hmm, controversial take - but I agree. Destroy Mars! There can be ONLY ONE habitable planet in the Sol system! REMEMBER THE BELT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
tbf that's probably the most reasonable proposal i've read for restoring mars' magnetic field

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

...not really? It's bog standard New Age speak.

sorry for conflating new-age with pseudo-hippy, it's all the same category to me but feel free to slice it up how you like

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csj7vMKy4EI

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Leperflesh posted:

sorry for conflating new-age with pseudo-hippy, it's all the same category to me but feel free to slice it up how you like

Well that means the propaganda is working then

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

predicto posted:

Which is why I didn't actually vote for him.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

tbf that's probably the most reasonable proposal i've read for restoring mars' magnetic field

How many proposals about how to do that have you read

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

How many proposals about how to do that have you read

i dunno how many are on the terraforming mars wiki page

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cows drink 2 gallons of water per 100 lbs of body weight per day. Multiple by 3 as cows are 300 lbs on the very low end. Your end result is 1800 gallons of water per year per cow. . X4 million cows (CA hs 5.15 mil cows circulating) end result being 7.2 billion gallons of water per year. Solely for beef.

Now i was reading an article that says almonds use 3.5 billion cubic meters of water... this comes out to 924,602,183,253 gallons of water per year. Im no environmentalist but this feels like bullshit. Another webaite says LA uses 64 bil gallons a year, and almonds use 3x thst. Meaning 192 bil gallons a year.
I mean how much water does almond production actually use?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 19, 2018

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Got another one of the weird email push-polls from Villaraigosa and it was the first one to not mention his union busting at all and instead presented all his talking points in extremely ambiguous wording that say absolutely nothing like "as assembly speaker he won healthcare for children" and "he doubled LA's high school graduation rates" and "he is committed to creating middle-class jobs" lol

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

Got another one of the weird email push-polls from Villaraigosa and it was the first one to not mention his union busting at all and instead presented all his talking points in extremely ambiguous wording that say absolutely nothing like "as assembly speaker he won healthcare for children" and "he doubled LA's high school graduation rates" and "he is committed to creating middle-class jobs" lol

i love answering those because i'll rate all those as decent things but then put extremely unfavorable for villaragiosa at both ends of the polls

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I got a text from Gavin Newsom's campaign like "Hi I'm Brenda, can we count on you to support Gavin?" and I replied back "Delaine Easton" and they said "ok"

Gave me a little chuckle. They know their audience.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
got a text from the Genevieve Jones campaign for Issa's district. Was already planning to vote for her but I forgot to fill out my ballot this weekend. Guess I'll take care of it tonight

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I got a text from Gavin Newsom's campaign like "Hi I'm Brenda, can we count on you to support Gavin?" and I replied back "Delaine Easton" and they said "ok"

Oh hey, I did this too. Except mine texted back with "okay, but will you vote for Newsom after Eastin loses the primary?" to which I responded "begrudgingly", and they finished with "great, thanks for your support!" :suicide:

Our fantastic political system at work.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Text UNSUBSCRIBE to all of those political texts and 99% of the time you'll get an automatic confirmation from a robot.

They all use the same software to spam them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I got pretty annoyed last weekend when I got one of those texts, for Prop 68, but they used my girlfriend's name. She's never shared a phone number with me. They said they got it from the state's voter information, but how would the state have made that association? I should have replied that I had no opinion until I got the text and would vote against the proposition based on getting a text for it alone.