Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MockingQuantum posted:

Don't be me, don't have a room full of 230+ games, of which you play maybe 5-10% with anything like regularity. It is a fool's errand.

Admittedly I have that many games for other reasons than just manic impulse buying, but still.

If you want to be a respectable board game YouTube personality then you need this many games. That way you can have a massive wall of games behind you as a background for videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know the artist's name but he is ubiquitous with Euros and I hate his doughy-faced, brown and yellow design. He does Snowdonia and a bunch of other ugly Euros with melting wax humans but his work is all over the place.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Rutibex posted:

If you want to be a respectable board game YouTube personality then you need this many games. That way you can have a massive wall of games behind you as a background for videos.

Or you could buy set-up boxes straight from distributors or small shops, like at least one YouTube personality was doing for a while, then hope somebody at the company asks why you haven't actually reviewed their game they can see in each video, and admit it's because all you own is the box.

As is, with all the games I have, I get the hassle of having a room full of games without the adulation and celebrity that comes with having a couple hundred views per review video. It's a hard life I lead.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

al-azad posted:

I don't know the artist's name but he is ubiquitous with Euros and I hate his doughy-faced, brown and yellow design. He does Snowdonia and a bunch of other ugly Euros with melting wax humans but his work is all over the place.

I assume you mean Klemenz Franz, King of Not Knowing What Humans Actually Look Like.

Alternately he may be King Who Has a Bunch of Jaundiced Friends and Family Members.

Either way, I'm pretty sure he's the one that does all of Rosenberg's games, at least.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
The best way to curb a game buying habit is get into 18xx/p500 GMT wargames

E: you’ll still buy too many games, they just don’t show up all at once

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

al-azad posted:

The box art for Neuland actually owns.

Fellis posted:

The best way to curb a game buying habit is get into 18xx/p500 GMT wargames

E: you’ll still buy too many games, they just don’t show up all at once

Were you the one saying you’ve been waiting for 5+ years for deep thought games to deliver some 18xx?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

MockingQuantum posted:

Don't be me, don't have a room full of 230+ games, of which you play maybe 5-10% with anything like regularity. It is a fool's errand.

Admittedly I have that many games for other reasons than just manic impulse buying, but still.

Start your own game convention and then you can justify it as the lending library. Worked for my buddy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

I assume you mean Klemenz Franz, King of Not Knowing What Humans Actually Look Like.

Alternately he may be King Who Has a Bunch of Jaundiced Friends and Family Members.

Either way, I'm pretty sure he's the one that does all of Rosenberg's games, at least.

Chill la Chill posted:

The box art for Neuland actually owns.

Were you the one saying you’ve been waiting for 5+ years for deep thought games to deliver some 18xx?

WHO KEEPS GIVING THIS GUY WORK?!?!?!

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Bottom Liner posted:

:yeah:

You already have enough games to cycle and play a ton, do a 10x10 challenge with them and you'll get a better idea of your tastes and more satisfaction out of your collection.

finishing up my 1xAll purged a bunch of stuff along the way. Super happy with the lean, mean gaming machine my collection has become.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

LongDarkNight posted:

Start your own game convention and then you can justify it as the lending library. Worked for my buddy.

Nah, I'd do it half-assed and there are already too many local half-assed conventions involving board games. Also I don't actually like a good portion of the games we own so I'm hesitant to recommend them to people anyway.

PlaneGuy posted:

finishing up my 1xAll purged a bunch of stuff along the way. Super happy with the lean, mean gaming machine my collection has become.

My wife's new years resolution was to do a 1xAll of our game collection this year, I think we're less than a quarter of the way through it and haven't even touched some of the more ponderous, time consuming games. It does not bode well for us.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

PlaneGuy posted:

What’s your favorite racing/bidding game and do you play town center with card city’s split/choose rules? If you don’t, you should try it because it’s so much better. You’ll need a screen

EBag
May 18, 2006

al-azad posted:

WHO KEEPS GIVING THIS GUY WORK?!?!?!

I'm assuming he meant Nusfjord, but that wasn't Klemenz Franz. Some of the art he does for the actual game assets and his graphic design isn't too bad but holy gently caress are his illustrations and box art godawful.

Dennis Lohausen is a bit better, having done some of Uwe's more recent games like Glass Road, Fields of Arle and Feast for Odin.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Maura Kalusky also belongs in the pantheon of lovely boardgame artists.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

EBag posted:

I'm assuming he meant Nusfjord, but that wasn't Klemenz Franz. Some of the art he does for the actual game assets and his graphic design isn't too bad but holy gently caress are his illustrations and box art godawful.

Dennis Lohausen is a bit better, having done some of Uwe's more recent games like Glass Road, Fields of Arle and Feast for Odin.

I want to believe Franz was fired personally by Rosenberg after the Caverna cover.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

CaptainRightful posted:

*looks up the name*

ohhh the Harem / Pearl Diver / Shanty Town guy.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Fellis posted:

p500 GMT wargames

I can afford this, these won't charge for months!

PlaneGuy posted:

You have good taste but all those cutthroaty money games and no 18xx or Chicago Express?

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 18, 2018

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I have a friend at work who I recently got into board games and his wife has an advisor in grad school that has 1200 games. Most are given to him by people he knows in the board game industry because he use to design games for TSR. He just gave 2 unopened board games to my friend for nothing.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

al-azad posted:

Blame ugly Europeans, boardgame artists are just tracers and aren't responsible for the source after all :v:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rad Valtar posted:

I have a friend at work who I recently got into board games and his wife has an advisor in grad school that has 1200 games. Most are given to him by people he knows in the board game industry because he use to design games for TSR. He just gave 2 unopened board games to my friend for nothing.

At that point you are less of a board game collector, and have become a board game archivist.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

CaptainRightful posted:

Whoever did the box cover for Darjeeling also deserves a spot.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

MockingQuantum posted:

Nah, I'd do it half-assed and there are already too many local half-assed conventions involving board games. Also I don't actually like a good portion of the games we own so I'm hesitant to recommend them to people anyway.

My wife's new years resolution was to do a 1xAll of our game collection this year, I think we're less than a quarter of the way through it and haven't even touched some of the more ponderous, time consuming games. It does not bode well for us.

Sell everything you don't play at the end. Completed the challenge!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I hear you guys on not buying too many games and I'll take it to heart. The main reason I've bought so many games is because I've been trying to find a game that works and is fun for a multilingual and multicultural group (Chinese and various expats in China; shared language is English but not all fluent). Codenames is the exception, but I got Pictures soon after which takes away one layer of language.

Carcassonne and Arkham Horror (because I got it in two languages) worked out really, really well. I expect Caverna might work well too. Better than Agricola, as there seems to be a little less reading (or at least reading where someone can't help to assist). Space Alert works really well. It's just up to the communication officer and captain to make sure everyone understands. The cards are very clear and unambiguous.

I probably wouldn't have bought Avalon, Carcassonne and Caverna if not for these circumstances.

But it is true that I'm eyeing a lot of games and need to practice restraint a bit.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a7m2 posted:

I hear you guys on not buying too many games and I'll take it to heart. The main reason I've bought so many games is because I've been trying to find a game that works and is fun for a multilingual and multicultural group (Chinese and various expats in China; shared language is English but not all fluent).

Oh, in that case I have another recommendation for you:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Rutibex posted:

Oh, in that case I have another recommendation for you:

Do NOT listen to this, talisman is and always will be trash, like the recommender.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

holy poo poo I didn't realize he was back lmao

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

e: confused him with franz vohwinkel

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

So I'm thinking about getting Modern Art cause I don't really have an auction game.

Would this be a good start?

And should I get the Oink or CMON version?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Selecta84 posted:

So I'm thinking about getting Modern Art cause I don't really have an auction game.

The Korean one.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

The Korean one.

That one doesn't seem to be available near me :/

terebikun
May 27, 2016

a7m2 posted:

Chinese and various expats in China

Are you guys in Shanghai by any chance?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

terebikun posted:

Are you guys in Shanghai by any chance?

Unfortunately, no. Guangdong.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

silvergoose posted:

Do NOT listen to this, talisman is and always will be trash, like the recommender.

Talisman got me into boardgames. :shrug:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Selecta84 posted:

As much as I love Modern Art I find that my group likes Ra better.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

kaujot posted:

Talisman got me into boardgames. :shrug:

Which is fine, and people can have fun and/or nostalgia with Talisman, and it changes nothing about whether it's a trash game.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Harlock posted:

As much as I love Modern Art I find that my group likes Ra better.

Gonna check that one, too.

Thanks

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah seconding Ra, it's my favorite auctiony game. Others that I like are Keyflower (worker placement) and castles of mad king ludwig (more of a pricing game than an auction game).

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Good, I will definitly look up Ra then.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

If you find that you really like stabby auction games, Chicago express and the estates areboth good for that. The latter will be reprinted around December. But all of the other recommendations are good. I love auction games and I have them all :negative:

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

I have a pnp copy of the estates and I hope to get another auction game to ease my Group into them as it can be quite mean I've heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Played Ra for the first time a couple of weeks ago. We really enjoyed it once we figured out how the scoring worked. Recommend!